PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion

McNasara
02/02/2014, 5:15 PM
You get 2 points for correct result (i.e. home win, draw, away win); 1 point for correct margin (i.e. home win by 2 goals, away win by 1, etc.); 1 point for correct score (i.e. Bohs scoring 3 goals, etc.). That gives 5 points for getting a game score right.
First I must say that I like this this scoring system.

But may I suggest to separate the competition in several parts: Premier Division, First Division, FAI Cup and League Cup. So we would have had four winners at the end of the season who would compete for the final title in FAI President's Cup the next year. Also we would have a sticky thread "Hall of Fame" for the three best competitors from all four contests.

sligoman
02/02/2014, 7:56 PM
We're still waiting on last season's results, I don't think adding more games to it is going to help things.

McNasara
02/02/2014, 10:16 PM
We're still waiting on last season's results, I don't think adding more games to it is going to help things.
I'm not talking about adding more games (as far as I noticed you had a prediction for the Cup games so far), it is clear to me that it is very hard work to get to the results of ten or twenty games for many people in one week.

So I thought it would be better if we have 6 or 12 PD games in one thread; and 4 or 8 FD games in the other thread a week. It would be a easier job for the two. Also, if these two can't reach it, someone else may update the results of the Cup predictions.

I dare to suggest this for two reasons: in order to make the results list more updated, more regularly and to make the Predictions league more interesting (everyone has a a better chance to win a contest, if there are four, and not one).

Just needed the good will of two or three of us to do it. Thoughts?

Real ale Madrid
07/02/2014, 10:03 AM
Hi McNasara.

Thanks for you suggestions. I don't think I would like to change anything really. I think the key to the enjoyment is to have things updated regularly which I hope to do better this season. I'd encourage you to play along and see how you find it over the season.
It's a bit of a quirky set-up i'll admit - but I took over from others who ran it in a similar fashion. It's been on the go now for 12 years and I'd be loathe to change too much - unless of course there was a groundswell of opinion from those who play every week.

showgies
07/02/2014, 10:12 AM
The only suggestion I would make is that there could be bonus points for predicting scores of 2 or more goals in games.

Real ale Madrid
07/02/2014, 10:32 AM
The only suggestion I would make is that there could be bonus points for predicting scores of 2 or more goals in games.

Nothing wrong with putting 1-0 or 0-0 for every game in my view. I don't understand how doing that gives you an advantage. It works in some years better than others - but is no guarantee of success.

BonnieShels
12/02/2014, 12:56 PM
I'm with RaM. No need to change it.

McNasara
23/03/2014, 8:54 PM
Please delete me from the list, yet I just follow the Premier Division, so I don't see the point of my participation. Ending soon my database so I turn to regular gambling with the PD games and try to revive that part of forum. Good luck to everyone

luiz
28/03/2014, 5:35 PM
First I must say that I like this this scoring system.

But may I suggest to separate the competition in several parts: Premier Division, First Division, FAI Cup and League Cup. So we would have had four winners at the end of the season who would compete for the final title in FAI President's Cup the next year. Also we would have a sticky thread "Hall of Fame" for the three best competitors from all four contests.

I agree with the idea of having separate competitions, but I have another suggestion, if it doesn't take too much hassle to do.

Why not having a proper Cup, exactly like the FAI Cup? Entrants would be drawn against another opponent and whoever scores more points in a specific round would advance to the next stage until the final. Then a Presidents' Cup between the winners of the League and the Cup: whoever gets closest of guessing the FAI Cup final (the last game of the season so perfect for that) result wins.

We could come up with something to emulate the League Cup too