PDA

View Full Version : Under 19s

Pages : [1] 2

dutchie
27/01/2014, 1:20 PM
The u19s failed to qualify for the elite division next year due to a 2 all draw away to Wexford youths,the team didnt seem to be as strong as previous teams with a lot of squad players getting a run and a big slip up will mean another year in the southern division.

ever37
27/01/2014, 1:29 PM
They have qualified for the 4 team group that will compete for the 2 places for the elite division.

Jofspring
27/01/2014, 2:28 PM
The u19s failed to qualify for the elite division next year due to a 2 all draw away to Wexford youths,the team didnt seem to be as strong as previous teams with a lot of squad players getting a run and a big slip up will mean another year in the southern division.

They aren't out of it yet. They are in the play offs for promotion to the Elite Division which they secured last week beating Bohs 2-0 in Annacotty. A win yesterday would have just secured top spot and the trophy in the Southern Division.

da bishop
27/01/2014, 3:56 PM
heard the 19s coach farmer is it?.. in interview sat on local radio and in the light of that ,sundays result would appear to be very disappointing indeed.he said winning the southern section was the priority,talked about how poor some of the league was[one sided high scoring games],went on about what wexfords approach to the game would be etc.sounds to me like he had those chicks hatched.pity they did not not win given all that talent in the squad.

Jofspring
27/01/2014, 4:12 PM
Very disappointing indeed. Went to watch the 19's a few times. 9-0 and 7-0 scorelines. Limerick by far the best team in the division which is disappointing. Still a chance of promotion though.

gael353
27/01/2014, 8:07 PM
Lads. There was no automatic promotion from the league to be gained by comming top of a "southern" league. A lot of rubbish put out last week may have given this impression. The target should always have been the play offs where you can actually gain promotion.

sadloserkid
28/01/2014, 8:25 AM
Did Mervue top the section? I'd like to see us finally step up (obviously) to the Elite Division. Been knocking on the door for a few years now.

Jofspring
28/01/2014, 9:17 AM
Ya Mervue finished top.

Limerick to play Mervue in the first game of their playoff group at home on the weekending Feb 9th. Hopefully a 2 kick off in Nessans on the Saturday.

Edit: scratch that, six nations on the same time the Saturday.

bluewhitearmy
28/01/2014, 4:00 PM
Ya Mervue finished top.

Limerick to play Mervue in the first game of their playoff group at home on the weekending Feb 9th. Hopefully a 2 kick off in Nessans on the Saturday.

Edit: scratch that, six nations on the same time the Saturday.

Will all be in Annacotty I reckon unfortunately.

Treaty Gooner
31/01/2014, 1:54 PM
Have the managers been sacked??

Jofspring
31/01/2014, 2:58 PM
Have the managers been sacked??

What makes you say that?

gael353
31/01/2014, 3:01 PM
It would appear from talk on peoples facebook accounts that manager D Farmer has been sacked

Jofspring
31/01/2014, 3:06 PM
It would appear from talk on peoples facebook accounts that manager D Farmer has been sacked

That's a head scratcher if true. Fair enough thy have failed to win the league the last few years but I thought he was considered a very good coach that all the players liked.

NeverFeltBetter
31/01/2014, 5:07 PM
Incredibly odd timing as well.

NeverFeltBetter
31/01/2014, 5:46 PM
Confirmed: http://www.limerickfc.ie/declan-farmer-departs-limerick-fc

How strange. Must be something more to this behind the scenes.

kingpin4
31/01/2014, 6:18 PM
Confirmed: http://www.limerickfc.ie/declan-farmer-departs-limerick-fc

How strange. Must be something more to this behind the scenes.

Incredibly strange. If it was his decision to step down then you'd have thought he'd hang on til after the playoffs and go out with a bang.
Have to thank him for his service too, he's produced quite a few players for the First team.

If its the clubs decision, then it's even stranger in terms of timing. Must be more to it behind the scenes.

I presume it just leaves Tommy Barrett in charge for the playoffs so?

da bishop
31/01/2014, 6:25 PM
strange decision just before the playoffs,heard today its this manager/coachs second time being sacked by limerick,whats going on ?

dutchie
03/02/2014, 4:26 PM
Pat makes a few strange ones to be fair,but i feared for Farmer as i thought this team should have walked this league and i thought they would remain unbeaten but they were very inconsistant and this probably cost him dearly.

bluewhitearmy
03/02/2014, 10:31 PM
Pat makes a few strange ones to be fair,but i feared for Farmer as i thought this team should have walked this league and i thought they would remain unbeaten but they were very inconsistant and this probably cost him dearly.

Like what out of interest?

kingpin4
22/02/2014, 3:39 PM
Under 19s lost 3 0 today... You can take the result if we had a full team and all that... But only had 12 players going by the website. Bit of a shambles really taking some of their players for a friendly game in Longford tonight. Surely the 19s playoff game would be more of a priority than a meaningless friendly tonight?
The first teams lack of depth and number of injuries could really affect the 19s hopes of getting promoted.

gael353
22/02/2014, 5:35 PM
Think its pretty obvious the 19s are being shelved for another year. The last senior manager to use so many youth players to suppliment his first team was pat scully. Its not looking good for this season ahead

kingpin4
22/02/2014, 6:01 PM
Its not looking good for this season ahead

I wouldn't go that far, I'm fairly optimistic with the squad relatively the same and a youthful spine throughout, but surely the 19s should have been a priority today. Travelling to Dundalk with 12 players is making a mockery of it.

NeverFeltBetter
22/02/2014, 11:27 PM
Really bad form.

bluewhitearmy
22/02/2014, 11:35 PM
If you took the under 19s out of the senior team we would have travelled to Longford with 11 players and no keeper. Senior team comes first.

kingpin4
23/02/2014, 3:14 AM
I agree during the season. But it's not like we didn't know about any of this or it was too late to cancel it because we only found out that there is a really small squad. My point is, the friendly was meaningless, the 19s should have been the priority.

How could any manager work like that when you're bringing young lads so far and then to have the chance taken away from you.

bluewhitearmy
23/02/2014, 1:16 PM
I agree during the season. But it's not like we didn't know about any of this or it was too late to cancel it because we only found out that there is a really small squad. My point is, the friendly was meaningless, the 19s should have been the priority.

How could any manager work like that when you're bringing young lads so far and then to have the chance taken away from you.

So we cancel the firendly and disrupt preparations for the season? We have only had 4 friendlies as it is that isn't an ideal way to be getting ready for the season. It wasn't some friendly for the sake of it or for no reason it is to get ready for the season that starts in 2 weeks time.

The play offs are meaningless as well considering even if we win them we more then likely wouldn't be allowed up.

kingpin4
23/02/2014, 3:02 PM
So we cancel the firendly and disrupt preparations for the season? We have only had 4 friendlies as it is that isn't an ideal way to be getting ready for the season. It wasn't some friendly for the sake of it or for no reason it is to get ready for the season that starts in 2 weeks time.

The play offs are meaningless as well considering even if we win them we more then likely wouldn't be allowed up.

You said it yourself that you thought the lads would be taking it very easy before the trip so they don't get injured. If player numbers are tight then, doesn't it defeat the purpose of taking so many 19s up and writing off the playoffs.

Also, why wouldn't we be allowed up if we did win them?

bluewhitearmy
23/02/2014, 3:47 PM
You said it yourself that you thought the lads would be taking it very easy before the trip so they don't get injured. If player numbers are tight then, doesn't it defeat the purpose of taking so many 19s up and writing off the playoffs.

Also, why wouldn't we be allowed up if we did win them?

I did but I never said it would be the right thing to do. We haven't had enough friendlies to properly gel as it is would be madness to cancel one. Other people might have a different opinion and no offence to anyone involved with the 19s but I would imagine 3 points against Bray the opening game of the season would be a priority over anything the 19s do and Longford was preparation for that.

The play-offs have hardly been written off they have another 5 games to play.

They have no ground for that would reach the standards needed for the top league of the 19s im told.

kingpin4
01/03/2014, 2:35 PM
13 players today. No Whitehead, Hanlon, Costelloe or Murphy. Impossible to tell me those playoffs haven't been wrote off. If Tommy Barrett gets that team promoted he should be made a permanent fixture there.

NeverFeltBetter
01/03/2014, 4:06 PM
Beaten 3-2. Not happy to see U-19 setup treated this way.

Jofspring
01/03/2014, 4:45 PM
I'd be a bit more understanding this week with the amount of injuries we have and the season only a week away.

bluewhitearmy
01/03/2014, 10:49 PM
The 19s are there to provide players to the senior team that is the main aim so what is the problem.

Boroman
02/03/2014, 9:16 AM
So the club sack Declan Farmer because of not winning the league and then the 19s turn out with the bare 12/13 players..where is the logic in sacking farmer..I no the first team will always come first but what about the 19s players that worked there balls off to get into that position and the club to take it away from them..The first team is weaker then last year in my opinion and to be depending on u19s to fill the squad could end up costing limerick at the end of the year..I hope I'm wrong..limerick brought in 2 great signs but left it at that really which is worrying

kingpin4
02/03/2014, 10:12 AM
the 19s players that worked there balls off to get into that position and the club to take it away from them..

That's the problem. Players want success, it's not good for long term development doing this type of thing. Could you imagine how disheartened you'd be if you played all season and then because you weren't in the top 4 or 5 in the team you were going to play your promotion playoffs with 12/ 13 players.

it looks unprofessional, and it will definitely have a knock on effect to the first team at some point.

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2014, 12:52 PM
So the club sack Declan Farmer because of not winning the league and then the 19s turn out with the bare 12/13 players..where is the logic in sacking farmer..I no the first team will always come first but what about the 19s players that worked there balls off to get into that position and the club to take it away from them..The first team is weaker then last year in my opinion and to be depending on u19s to fill the squad could end up costing limerick at the end of the year..I hope I'm wrong..limerick brought in 2 great signs but left it at that really which is worrying

Who told you that is why he was sacked?

That's the problem. Players want success, it's not good for long term development doing this type of thing. Could you imagine how disheartened you'd be if you played all season and then because you weren't in the top 4 or 5 in the team you were going to play your promotion playoffs with 12/ 13 players.

it looks unprofessional, and it will definitely have a knock on effect to the first team at some point.

It would have had an effect this week if the players weren't called up considering they will probably all be needed Friday.
The players that have been mentioned for example:

Whitehead-One of only 3 fit centre backs in the senior squad at the minute.
Hanlon- One of two sub strikers available at the minute and the main back up going by pre-season.
Costelloe-Dont think he has played a single game for the 19s this season.
Murphy- Could either be starting left back or back up to Costelloe Friday if Williams injury doesn't clear up in time.

So its not like they were taken for no reason all of these lads are needed Friday and that is what matters. Maybe the club knows certain things that ye don't?

Treaty Gooner
02/03/2014, 3:57 PM
Having to rely on teenagers as one of only 3 fit centre backs in the senior squad at the minute and one of two sub strikers available at the minute going into the start of the season, as well as taking one GK on a preseason tour is ridiculous planning in anyone's language. Whatever the club 'knows that you don't' it's obviously not good enough and the backlash is going to be felt in attendances. BWA asked where we're supposed to get our money from in a previous thread - that's where.

Boroman
02/03/2014, 6:31 PM
Well what happened him so he hardly walked..I'm just pointing out problems that might arise over the season..having 6/7 under 19s as back up is not good enough and definitely not fair on them it's a huge step..As I said I hope I'm wrong but could be a long season and as the above comment it will affect attendances which is a major issue

Jofspring
02/03/2014, 7:44 PM
I think most are expecting it to be a long tough season. The budget is down, the playing squad is down, we have injuries. The club can't afford to gamble on spending big wages on players if the crowds aren't there to support it. I'd prefer us to be stable than push it.

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2014, 8:39 PM
Having to rely on teenagers as one of only 3 fit centre backs in the senior squad at the minute and one of two sub strikers available at the minute going into the start of the season, as well as taking one GK on a preseason tour is ridiculous planning in anyone's language. Whatever the club 'knows that you don't' it's obviously not good enough and the backlash is going to be felt in attendances. BWA asked where we're supposed to get our money from in a previous thread - that's where.

What are they supposed to do when people get injured? They dont have the money have 3 or 4 back ups for every position.

When I said the club might know something we don't i was referring to the 19s this is a thread about the under 19s after all.

So what can the club do then spend a load of money they dont have to get a big squad of top players so attendances will be up?? Attendances will be down anyway because the buzz of the first year up will be gone. We have a small budget therefore we have a small squad it really is that simple. I have seen people saying other places that we should be pushing for Europe and that we need to be up near the top 4 that is complete and utter nonsense tbh.

It will be a tough season we wont be challenging for anything but it is a hell of a lot better then where we were.

Treaty Gooner
02/03/2014, 9:11 PM
Who said anything about 3 or 4 backups, 1 would do. And they haven't even got that. I'll be at every home game anyway but, Duggan aside, the signing of players SO FAR has been disasterous.

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2014, 9:41 PM
Who said anything about 3 or 4 backups, 1 would do. And they haven't even got that. I'll be at every home game anyway but, Duggan aside, the signing of players SO FAR has been disasterous.

Then why were you complaining about the centre backs and strikers then? We have one centre back as back up and two strikers. Almost every team has 3 keepers, we have 3 keeprs 2 got injured. You say Duggan side do you know anything about Mick Leahy?

kingpin4
02/03/2014, 10:39 PM
Then why were you complaining about the centre backs and strikers then? We have one centre back as back up and two strikers. Almost every team has 3 keepers, we have 3 keeprs 2 got injured. You say Duggan side do you know anything about Mick Leahy?

Leahy is a decent player. Him getting injured is disastrous because he is well capable of playing centre mid too if needed.
I think the main thing people (myself included) are worried about is the number of players we let go and only really brought in 2 replacements.
My biggest issue with this whole thing is, we've significantly weakened our under 19s chances so we can have players on the bench a week from now. It's disheartening for everyone involved with the 19s and it will have a knock on effect for the first team. It looks unprofessional to be in this position when we're unveiling plans to build a training base in Bruff and just back from a week in Spain and we can barely field an under 19s team because the first team have had to take so many. The first team are the priority, but anyone could see that replacing 8 players with 2 was a disaster waiting to happen. It's rough on the younger lads too to ask them to step up and make up nearly half the senior squad (even though it's unbelievable experience for them)

bluewhitearmy
02/03/2014, 11:07 PM
Leahy is a decent player. Him getting injured is disastrous because he is well capable of playing centre mid too if needed.
I think the main thing people (myself included) are worried about is the number of players we let go and only really brought in 2 replacements.
My biggest issue with this whole thing is, we've significantly weakened our under 19s chances so we can have players on the bench a week from now. It's disheartening for everyone involved with the 19s and it will have a knock on effect for the first team. It looks unprofessional to be in this position when we're unveiling plans to build a training base in Bruff and just back from a week in Spain and we can barely field an under 19s team because the first team have had to take so many. The first team are the priority, but anyone could see that replacing 8 players with 2 was a disaster waiting to happen. It's rough on the younger lads too to ask them to step up and make up nearly half the senior squad (even though it's unbelievable experience for them)

In what way?

I understand people thinking it is unfair on the 19s and saying it is not a good situation because its not what I dont understand is some people that have never posted a thing on here about the 19s coming on to have a go. There is no way you can have ago at the lads over the senior team imo, im fairly sure they would rather have a bigger squad too but they don't so they have to do what they have to do. Only 2 players coming in was not because of lack of trying to get others we just couldn't compete financially for them.

redron
03/03/2014, 11:55 AM
The Under 19s played very well on saturday and were very unlucky not to come out of it with a draw.
They started a little nervously, and Dundalk punished them with two goals, but they grew in confidence as they worked their way into the match. There were a lot of positives to take from it.

Treaty Gooner
04/03/2014, 2:34 PM
In what way?

I understand people thinking it is unfair on the 19s and saying it is not a good situation because its not what I dont understand is some people that have never posted a thing on here about the 19s coming on to have a go. There is no way you can have ago at the lads over the senior team imo, im fairly sure they would rather have a bigger squad too but they don't so they have to do what they have to do. Only 2 players coming in was not because of lack of trying to get others we just couldn't compete financially for them.

Very short sighted of you if you don't see the knock on effect. These players have to be blooded properly and being thrown in at the deep end because of poor planning in the close season and in pre-season helps nobody. I remember young Lee O'Mara being thrown in against Zayed in the cup and he was never seen again. The long term impact is that we have to keep shelling out for big names instead of having young, local players who have been treated well by the club and are willing to do whatever it takes to play and stay in the first team. The revolving door of top talent in this league will always be just that, a revolving door for mercenaries but it would take a brave manager to buck against that trend. Do we have one?

bluewhitearmy
04/03/2014, 4:49 PM
Very short sighted of you if you don't see the knock on effect. These players have to be blooded properly and being thrown in at the deep end because of poor planning in the close season and in pre-season helps nobody. I remember young Lee O'Mara being thrown in against Zayed in the cup and he was never seen again. The long term impact is that we have to keep shelling out for big names instead of having young, local players who have been treated well by the club and are willing to do whatever it takes to play and stay in the first team. The revolving door of top talent in this league will always be just that, a revolving door for mercenaries but it would take a brave manager to buck against that trend. Do we have one?

What poor planning please tell me how it was poor planning?

David O'Leary was thrown straight in Jason Hughes was thrown straight in has had no negative impact on them.
Keep shelling out on big names? We aren't doing that now that is why we have so many young lads in there. Its not the plan to have so many young lads but with 6 or 7 injuires then they have very little choice because they don't have the money for a big squad.

Your last statement about do we have a manager brave enough to buck the trend of mercenaries from the league. Who do we have at the minute that fits in that category?

What are ye expecting to be done instead of having the young lads in the squad? Spend money we don't have for a bigger squad?

Treaty Gooner
04/03/2014, 11:43 PM
Jesus my brain hurts every time I comment on your replies and you're fast becoming the Comical Ali of Limerick FC! Poor planning is my only point, you're the only one who's apologising for it. I'm out.

bluewhitearmy
05/03/2014, 12:47 AM
Jesus my brain hurts every time I comment on your replies and you're fast becoming the Comical Ali of Limerick FC! Poor planning is my only point, you're the only one who's apologising for it. I'm out.

Ok ill keep it very simple what do you feel was bad planning on Limericks part? It should be easy to answer.

kingpin4
05/03/2014, 10:01 PM
8 out 2 in started the whole thing. Killed the 19s first 2 playoff games.
Still no assistant at the moment.
situation with O'Leary, no (or very little) compensation for him.
Situation with Coughhlan. (And McGann too to be fair)
I understand money is going in to infrastructure... But the pre season trip money should have been invested in the squad.

On a positive, it's good the Ghanaians have finally appeared.

bluewhitearmy
05/03/2014, 10:42 PM
8 out 2 in started the whole thing. Killed the 19s first 2 playoff games.
Still no assistant at the moment.
situation with O'Leary, no (or very little) compensation for him.
Situation with Coughhlan. (And McGann too to be fair)
I understand money is going in to infrastructure... But the pre season trip money should have been invested in the squad.

On a positive, it's good the Ghanaians have finally appeared.

Only 2 in was not their choice they tried to sign more couldn't match what others paid but I agree it is a problem its up to 4 in now.
Assistant you are 100% right that is poor.
Where did you get your info on O'Leary?
What situation with Coughlan and McGann? Especially McGann he wasn't signed no big deal.

Trip to Spain seems a bit pointless with how many didn't go alright.

I agree with people that the squad is thin and that it would be better if the 19s didn't have to be brought in but I dont think they had much choice.

I have no problem having a go if I think the club are wrong but I do think people are being harsh about this