PDA

View Full Version : How many roles should a manager have?

Fair_play_boy
21/10/2004, 2:25 PM
. . . it's a common myth that Dolan is constantly running around doing all sorts of jobs within the club . . . Hmmm. How many roles should a club manager take on? Team selection, obviously. Purchase and sale of players, in consultation with the chairman, I suppose. Team coaching, doing set pieces, devising a game plan, and sitting around with the players to plan how to implement it, I suppose. Public relations, obviously. Business development plans, I suppose. Development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club, I suppose. Development of underage and U21 squads is delegated, as is first team fitness work I reckon. These are the areas I expect a manager is responsible for. Is Peadar not OK with this?

Gary
21/10/2004, 2:32 PM
How many roles should a club manager take on? Public relations, obviously. Business development plans, I suppose. Development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club, I suppose.

The is a commercial manager for Business development.

There is a PRO for public relations.

The chairman, and management committee would look after the development and implementation of an overall strategy.

Pat Dolans job is to manage the 1st team. The fact that he is a big name in eL circles helps PR wise, but his attention should (and at this point probably is), be purely on 1st team matters.

Peadar
21/10/2004, 2:33 PM
Is Peadar not OK with this?

In a word, no!

The manager should not be the Public Relations officer.
The manager should be consulted on Business development plans but not devise them.
Neither should he be responisble for the development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club.
All of the above are unwelcome distractions for the manager of a professional football club.

tiktok
21/10/2004, 3:07 PM
The manager should not be the Public Relations officer.
The manager should be consulted on Business development plans but not devise them.
Neither should he be responisble for the development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club.
All of the above are unwelcome distractions for the manager of a professional football club.

Agree completely.
I think you'll find most St.Pat's fans would agree that most of their problems with Dolan started when he decided he was teaboy/Manager/PR/Chairman/fuhrer

Fair_play_boy
21/10/2004, 8:20 PM
The manager should not . . . be responisble for the development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club. If Dolan is not responsible for this, then who is? For example, when the "opportunity" to sign Paul Gascoigne came up, do you honestly think a mnager should not be responsible for that decision?

Peadar
22/10/2004, 7:07 AM
If Dolan is not responsible for this, then who is? For example, when the "opportunity" to sign Paul Gascoigne came up, do you honestly think a mnager should not be responsible for that decision?

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about!

Paul Gascoigne - development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club.
What have these two things got to do with each other?

Fair_play_boy
22/10/2004, 10:39 AM
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about!

Paul Gascoigne - development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club.
What have these two things got to do with each other?
This may require a thread split, to give this line of discussion its own space. Would a mod oblige please?
OK Peadar, first of all, from your post, it looks as though you do agree that Dolan should have been responsible for that decision about Gazza, or at least be involved in it.
Now the point of this discussion: I say that Dolan as manager is responsible for development and implementation of an overall strategy for the club, and you disagree.
Some key elements of the overall strategy that Dolan is developing and implementing, as far as I understand, are:
To take a very long term approach to develop home-grown star quality players from a young age within CCFC, which reduces the need to buy in expensive talent.

To spot and sign potential star quality players from Ireland, and blood them in the EL, to bring out that potential. Kearney and Doyler are examples.

To avoid the quick fix of employing former greats at high wages (e.g. Gazza) which may produce quick results, and might swell the crowds at the Cross, but which burns club cash like there is no tomorrow, and does nothing to develop long term capacity.
Looking at the last point, from what I know, none of Shelbourne's first XI were developed within the club itself. They have a huge wage bill, and they had to fork out for most of their squad. That policy apparently is financially dependent on annual windfalls from European competition. Hadjuk Split apparently went bankrupt after Shels knocked them out this summer, because of that very policy. The same could happen to Shels. For even though they are flush at the moment, their outgoings must be huge, and they do not enjoy the income that our fan base generates.
Now back to your point. How can any manager be responsible for the first XI without being deeply involved in the development and implementation of an overall club strategy, even taking the examples I chose above? The quality of the first XI are central to that strategy. Going by the limited definition of Dolan's role that you describe, he would sound like a team manager rather than club manager. I note from Tik Tok's comments above, and others by SPA fans over the months, that Dolan likes to take on more responsibilities than he should. That may be so, and may reflect the man's generosity and spirit. But that is not enough reason to define his role in such narrow terms.

Split as requested FPB.
Gary

observer
22/10/2004, 11:33 AM
Getting back to the original question as to how many roles. from Mr Dolans appearance at Flancare Park this week I would saw the following would apply-
Jam rolls, ham rolls, sausage rolls and as he is long enough in Cork at this stage possibly tripe and drisheen rolls. :D

Fair_play_boy
22/10/2004, 4:40 PM
Split as requested FPB.
GaryCheers Gary. That was quick off the mark!