PDA

View Full Version : No promotion of the Cup Final

harry crumb
20/10/2004, 11:46 PM
I have not seen one ad so far on TV. I haven't heard any radio ad either.

Meanwhile we are bombarded every minute of the day by the Basterdised Gaelic football match versus the Aussies. There was c.50000 in Croke Park last week. Even with the nothing 2nd game coming up there will still be a good crowd on Croker on Sunday.

Meanwhile the FAI Cup Final has had almost no coverage at all. I'd be suprised if there is even 15,000 people at it.

The FAI seem to more interested in Power Struggles and politics that than actually doing anything.

Nil is agam? :mad:

A face
21/10/2004, 12:04 AM
I have not seen one ad so far on TV. I haven't heard any radio ad either.

It was on after the footie highlights programme tonight ... for about 4 seconds. :eek: :o

El Perro
21/10/2004, 7:29 AM
gaa is more popular only for a few short summer weeks when the tribal county blood is up ....modern faction fighting ...how many dubs actually follow the game after they make their usual exit around july???...most people if they are honest would admit that soccer is the only game in town....unfortunately our league just does'nt capture the imagination for all sorts of reasons, so all eyes turn to the Premiership.............

Macy
21/10/2004, 7:38 AM
To be fair,GAA is more popular as a spectator sport in Ireland......No idea of participant figs.' for Soccer,Gaelic,Hurling,rugby & :rolleyes: cricket,in the island of Ireland!
Couldn't confirm (as I can't remember where I read it), but pretty sure proper football is the largest participation sport in Ireland, and on the island.

Give you an example - the rural village where I live is what you would think was a big gah area. It is, but there's still 2 (junior) football clubs compared to the one GAA, plus an underage football club.

paudie
21/10/2004, 8:32 AM
There was an interview with the captains and managers on the RTE Six One sports news on Tuesday but there should be a few radio ads etc.

Especially when the game is competing with ManU v Arsenal and game in Croke Park.

fosterdollar
21/10/2004, 8:38 AM
To be fair,GAA is more popular as a spectator sport
if this is the case, surely it's all the more reason for advertising the cup final?

observer
21/10/2004, 8:54 AM
A junior colleges rugby final gets full page newspaper coverage in the National papers. Compare this with the coverage of the cup final. At least the GAA represents a hugh number of players and supporters while colleges rugby is highly selective and of interest to a tiny minority. :mad:

LFC in Exile
21/10/2004, 11:16 AM
A junior colleges rugby final gets full page newspaper coverage in the National papers. Compare this with the coverage of the cup final. At least the GAA represents a hugh number of players and supporters while colleges rugby is highly selective and of interest to a tiny minority. :mad:

But that minority buy (and run) the broadsheets - the tabs don't cover schools finals as extensively.

Associaiton football is the largest participant sport in Ireland and I reckon it is also the most popular spectator sport (if you consider television to be spectating). Of course GAA is the most widely attended sports here.

I think any marketing campaign has got to target fans of English football. The majority of GAA people attend live sport - they get up off their backsides and go their games. And most will support a local eL team in a big match. But when a choice has to be made they will choose GAA. Fair enough. The potential market are the men and women who never go to live sport - but watch copious amounts on tv. They need to be attracted to live football and then encouraged to stay by good football and good facilities.

NY Hoop
21/10/2004, 11:42 AM
Think the game should be the last sunday in October which would be sunday week. No manure arsenal, no compromise rules and also the Cup Final should be the finale of the season. Guarantee the losers sunday will not be up for playing more games.

Still hope for a good day, crowd and game.

KOH

fosterdollar
21/10/2004, 11:53 AM
Good point Ny Hoop. As it stands, the cup final is competing (of sorts) with too many alternatives: Premier**** :rolleyes: , GAA and people on holiers (Jazz weekend in Cork .. just like last year :mad: ).
I like the idea of it being a finale for the season also

joeSoap
21/10/2004, 11:56 AM
The marketing and promotional aspects of this are a joke, and are the full responsibility of the FAI and the current sponsors, neither of whom have done anything in my book to make this appealing to Joe Public.
The following could / should have been done to make this a more viable prospect:

· Special offers on tickets for families etc
· A schools / underage game preceding the game.
· A build-up to the final type programme on RTE /TV3 to promote the game.
· Free transport for schools around the country, ie, the FAI foot the bus bill for schools to bring kids to the game.
· High impact advertising campaign on Radio and National Newspapers.
· Making it compulsory for all EL clubs to sell x amount of tickets.
· Or how about an inter-divisional friendly before the game where a Premier X1 play best of First Division X1 ?

Any of or all of these would surely help get a bit of atmosphere going, surely??

paudie
21/10/2004, 12:23 PM
FAI Cup final should definitely be the last game of the season.

This has to happen next season.

paudie
21/10/2004, 12:26 PM
·
· A schools / underage game preceding the game.
·
· Or how about an inter-divisional friendly before the game where a Premier X1 play best of First Division X1 ?

Any of or all of these would surely help get a bit of atmosphere going, surely??

I think the FAI womens Cup final is on before the final this year, which isn't a bad idea.

That should the Longford and Waterford fans out of the pubs a bit earlier :D

gspain
21/10/2004, 12:54 PM
GAA is far and away the most popular spectator sport in Ireland. We would be behind rugby now in this as well.

Football is far and away the most populart participation sport. It was so even in 1986 before Jack Charlton supposedly brought the game to this country. Even in Kerry there are more football players than gaelic players.

However most football fans in this country don't support or watch Cork City or Shelbourne but Man Utd or Liverpool.

I really think the way forward is success in Europe. If we had a club reaching the group stages of the champions league (or even UEFA cup) and competing with the Man Utds et al aka Rosenborg or Macabbi

The Cup final will attract large support from Waterford and Longford but few neutrals I expect.

paudie
21/10/2004, 1:03 PM

I really think the way forward is success in Europe. If we had a club reaching the group stages of the champions league (or even UEFA cup) and competing with the Man Utds et al aka Rosenborg or Macabbi

Before this season I would have agreed with you.

However this year Shels have had the best European run of an Irish club ever. They played good football against good teams and were on TV.

However their crowds don't seem to have improved at all. Maybe it would take 2 or 3 consecutive good years in europe to do the trick.

I think an All Ireland league is the only way to take local football forward.

observer
21/10/2004, 1:07 PM
Joe Soap for marketing manager of the Eircom League ( try not to have so many good ideas though Joe, as inititive and imagination can disqualify). :)

Colm
21/10/2004, 1:50 PM
the cup game is up against the manure game and the gaa game. feckin fai plonkers given the game no advertising and they wonder why the game at home dosent have such a high profile :mad:

Exactly.
They should have played it at 7.45. That way it would have captured the public's imagination and there is also a better atmospher at night games.

4.45 is a stupid time to play any match, never mind a cup final.

joeSoap
21/10/2004, 1:58 PM
Joe Soap for marketing manager of the Eircom League ( try not to have so many good ideas though Joe, as inititive and imagination can disqualify). :)
They couldn't afford me !!!

Macy
21/10/2004, 2:52 PM
I think the FAI womens Cup final is on before the final this year, which isn't a bad idea.

That should the Longford and Waterford fans out of the pubs a bit earlier :D
wtf, it'll keep me in the pub until the last minute*....

*as usual :D

Wiseguy
21/10/2004, 4:04 PM
The facts of the matter is that soccer in this country will always be seen as a foreign sport.Other than us select few nobody gives a toss about EL football in this country.There are just to many barstoolers in this country who always have an excuse of some sort.We all know them.I have friends who much sooner pay a fortune to go to Old Trafford and cheer on people they neither know or will ever know on a personal level and spend their money over there instead of supporting local sport and people that they would actually have a chance of meeting and talking to.Then the very same people who cheer on the poms in the premiership are spitting at the telly when England play.To me these people are idiots and hypocrits and if thie trend continues EL football has a very bleak future in this country.To top it all off the FAI are a bunch of idiots and wait and see what government rep turns up at lansdowne on sunday.None i reckon but that fool Bertie will go to old trafford and watch a match.The biggest problem we have is people's attitude towards the EL and i really don't know what will change that.
NY Hoop is right, the FAI Cup Final should be the last game of the season played in September when the chances are the weather will be good.Seen as people are always looking for excuses not to go every possible excuse should be eliminated.A classic example of the attitude towards EL football and peoples ignorance of it occured in the 51 bar last year when a girl working there asked was Longford Town playing St. Pats in a rugby match.Need i say more.

NY Hoop
21/10/2004, 4:20 PM
NY Hoop is right, the FAI Cup Final should be the last game of the season played in September when the chances are the weather will be good.

No no last sunday in october. 33 league games next season and with season starting in march it cant finish in september. Ideally the season should finish this weekend. I mean the weather is not that bad yet is it?

Agree with everything else you say. You are preaching to the converted but I'm optimistic. It's more "fashionable" to follow the EL now than ever. We have internationals playing here, our own weekly tv show, Irish teams doing well in europe. These are things that we never had before. But unless we get leadership at the top and professionals running the clubs our beloved league will stumble on..........

KOH

Schumi
21/10/2004, 4:22 PM
I mean the weather is not that bad yet is it?
Wasn't too nice yesterday!

NY Hoop
21/10/2004, 4:24 PM
Granted but havent yet got frozen at a game. Except last 10 minutes in flancare saturday but you know what I mean. The really BAD weather hasnt come in yet and if this weekend was the last series............

Instead we rumble on for another month. You would wonder about the idiots setting up the fixtures :eek:

KOH

Schumi
21/10/2004, 4:27 PM
Fair point. We should be finishing the season around now when there'll only a couple of bad days rather than next month, especially with about 7 or 8 games needing to be rescheduled.

harry crumb
21/10/2004, 9:33 PM
Fran Rooney was on Prime Time tonight. Apparently someone has sent him a letter.

A lot of crap was said about commitees, structures etc.....in other words bull****.

There was not one word mentioned about the Cup Final. I still haven't seen an ad on tele about the match.

:mad:

BobtheDrog
21/10/2004, 9:42 PM
think i might venture to the final, anyone have a spare waterford jersey, preferably with death to dessie baker onthe back

Longfordian
22/10/2004, 12:54 AM
Ah Bob, just because Dessie made a tool of himself thre's no need to be like that, no-one ever accused Dessie of being overly intelligent..think of how sound Digger and Barrett and more of them were to ye..You know you like us really.. :)

observer
22/10/2004, 8:41 AM
See how the GAA are bombarding us with very up beat professional adds to try and drum up a crowd for the compromise game on Sunday. They realise the one sided game last week might damage the gate so they are working hard to hype the match up. Compare this with the total lack of any effort in relation to the cup final. :mad:

NorthoftheLee
22/10/2004, 8:51 AM
A decent 8 page pull out in the Irish Mirror this mornig dedicated to the Cup Final...

trevy
22/10/2004, 11:38 AM
The FAI are more interested in fighting among themselves and wrangling over money and the Genesis report than promoting the game. :mad:
I haven't heard one ad on radio or tv about the game either from the FAI.Admittedly not many neutrals will go the Cup final I'd imagine especially when its on tv but ticket prices are good 15/20 EUR so even if it added a thousand to the gate it'd be worth it.

blutil
22/10/2004, 3:08 PM
presume its the same in Longford, but every junior team in waterford has been given 18 schoolboy and 2 adult tickets for the game !

BobtheDrog
22/10/2004, 11:08 PM
Ah Bob, just because Dessie made a tool of himself thre's no need to be like that, no-one ever accused Dessie of being overly intelligent..think of how sound Digger and Barrett and more of them were to ye..You know you like us really.. :)

ok digger and barret were great, especially digger we had good craic with him, baker ****es me off because he wasnt provoked i was in the main group of vocal drogs and he got nothing in the way of abuse (despite his hair) spud murphy made similar gestures but he got a lot of abuse. was interested baker never warmed down after the match tho