PDA

View Full Version : Gang of 5 / Mountfield

yiddo
20/10/2004, 4:03 PM
Deccie Daly was 2,
Johnny C was 3

When we eventually win the league we should dedicate it these men who helped rid us of that clown ;) Derek Mountfield ! And therby gave us Gunther who lay the seeds of the harvest we are now reaping under the great Pat Dolan !

Peadar
20/10/2004, 4:06 PM
Agh the "Gang of 5"...
Who were they again?

A rival theory, being mooted at the time, argued that no such gang ever existed. I seem to recall the "Grassy Knowl" being a popular vantage point for certain fans at home games during that period. ;)

yiddo
20/10/2004, 4:09 PM
You mean that the Gang of 5 was only a figment of the imaginations of the Grassy Knoll gang ? ;)

Peadar
20/10/2004, 4:15 PM
He was too professional for City and the players were more interested in p!iss-ups and getting hammered...hence why they got him out....cnuts.

Not as clear cut as that.
Discussion for another day though.
Perhaps on the banks of a major waterway in Central Europe on another odyssey of UEFA football... ;)

yiddo
20/10/2004, 4:15 PM
Rebel,

Answer me one question

What did Mountfield before or since ?

Answer : Nothing !

The man was 3rd or 4th choice as manager. The job was too big for him. He lost the dressing room early on. He wasn't good enough. Simple as that.

PS Wasn't it a good job for that Pat Dolan didn't persuade him to change his mind the day he quit after the 0-4 defeat at home to Pats ? Where would be be today.

Peadar
20/10/2004, 4:29 PM
the whole scene now is much more professional and it would be what Mountfield would be used to back when he arrived....

I think football as a whole has changed in the eL and not just within City.
Professionalism was always going to need time to establish itself in the Irish game. Mountfield just happened to be the unfortunate person chaged with the task of leading us through that change...

yiddo
20/10/2004, 4:35 PM
I'll answer your one eventhough you never answered mine ;)

Liam Murphy took over and we won 7 or 8 games in a row and qualified for Europe. The following season he failed to build on this and at the beginning of his 2nd full season in charge signed your favourite player :D for City. Having failed to win more than one away game that season he did the honourable thing and resigned as manager. He is now as you know a valuable member of the backroom staff at City !

Anyway with Gunther out of the way back to Mountfield. What has he done since he left City ?

Peadar
20/10/2004, 4:38 PM
He is now as you know a valuable member of the backroom staff at City !

Isn't he still the Manager of the Irish Colleges Team?

yiddo
20/10/2004, 4:46 PM
Spoke to Johnny C a few years back about the Mountfield and gang of 5 thing. He said that in his opinion Mountfield was very good as a coach but didnt have it in him to be a good manager. Wasn't prepared to boll*ck guys out when required. The phrase Caulfield used was that Mountfield didn't want to upset people and was too nice to be manager.

SÓC
20/10/2004, 4:58 PM
On a side note, John Caulfield was at the game in Longford last night. It was the first time I've seen him at a City away game in years.
Wonder was her there as a fan or in his Avondale capacity??? Hummmm do we have any players who's contracts are nearly up?

ollie
20/10/2004, 5:47 PM
when mountfield came in all they did on the field was hoof it.it was so frustrating watching it especially with small strikers like johnny c and skippy. where would we be now with mountfield?one must suspect not where we are now.

Stadler
20/10/2004, 6:39 PM
PS Wasn't it a good job for that Pat Dolan didn't persuade him to change his mind the day he quit after the 0-4 defeat at home to Pats ?

Seem to remember him getting the sack, rather unceremoniously after a second-half board meeting under the stand that day. And while we're talking rumours, is it true that that was the only time that board were known to have been in the same place at the same time?

It seems strange how some people are prepared to give some managers enough time for the cows to come home to roost in order to deliver on the pitch but can't wait to get rid of others. Mountfield must of been here all of six months but no one seems to think he was given the short end of the straw. Gunther got us back in Europe (with the same players who underperformed for Mountfield) so he's great, but wait, a season later there's 'Murphy Out' banners around the place, or one of them anyway, and now we have Dolan who walks on water, and is above criticism, as far as some fans are concerned, yet, realistically, can't be judged until at least the end of the current campaign.

Éanna
20/10/2004, 6:40 PM
not really worth going over this all over again. there are so many rumours and theories and allegations. mountfield was IMO a nice bloke and a good manager who got a raw deal.

ccfcman
21/10/2004, 8:35 AM
Why is this thread here, old scars lads ;)

thecorner
21/10/2004, 8:36 AM
Mountfield was a great manager but ahead of his time.

well if this is his time now,,,where is he?????????????

ccfcman
21/10/2004, 8:41 AM
Don't tell me where I can and cannot post :mad: :mad:

I do have something to contribute ie. The days of Mountfield are long gone one manager has come and gone in that time and onother has arrived, the thread is irrelevant to CCFC affairs and is simply a thread where people can complain.

thecorner
21/10/2004, 8:45 AM
good manager like mick mccarthy :eek:

looks like somebody needs some sleep ;)

Gary
21/10/2004, 8:57 AM
The Mountfield debate is one which will ramble on for a long time. Some felt he was a waste, other felt he could have done a good job.

Personally, I reckon, like many others, that he was before his time. The manner in which he was fired was disgraceful, and brought a great deal of bad will towards ccfc, from both eL fans and barstoolers alike.

A big point that people miss about DMs reign is that when he was sacked we were 8 points off the top. Come the end of the season, City were still 8 points from the top (at least there was the same gap, Im not certain how many points!).

BeerBaron69
21/10/2004, 10:55 AM
I think Mountfields football was innovative for City and perhaps if he had the squad of youngsters Dolan has he may have fared better. That said you cant change history and evidently you cant teach old dogs new tricks!
Once you lose the players you must go-simple as that