PDA

View Full Version : Alan Matthews

Titan
10/01/2014, 10:18 PM
New manager if club x in Wicklow apparently. As per their official twitter. Good appointment for them.

Longfordian
10/01/2014, 10:25 PM
Just saw that and posted on the other thread. It suits him it's a part time job and he lives out that way. Not sure what he'll have to work with squad wise but as long as everyone knows what they're getting into. Not likely to get too much grief from the Bray fans either way which bothered him a lot at Shels apparently.

SkStu
11/01/2014, 3:31 AM
New manager if club x in Wicklow apparently. As per their official twitter. Good appointment for them.

Did Croly walk or was he pushed?

Sean South
11/01/2014, 2:15 PM
What's Bray's finances like?

Ezeikial
11/01/2014, 3:22 PM

I can feel another 'Cease and Desist' coming

D24Saint
11/01/2014, 6:44 PM
Don't use the B word around here they are sensitive to such things down in Wickla.

Charlie Darwin
11/01/2014, 9:00 PM
The club is in a very healthy financial state, while their board members and legal representatives are very handsome.

Acornvilla
12/01/2014, 1:44 AM
The most scandalous accusation I've ever read on this forum.

Dove
14/01/2014, 10:11 AM
Alan Matthews is a great choice. A great guy, with a proven record for Club X.
As this is not Stallinst Russia, or North Korea, perhaps under F.O.I rules, the previous (now banned) thread on Club X should be restored.
Looks like the 'chickens have come home to roost'
It would be interesting to see if this thread could be opened up again on club X., or would editor risk being taken overnight to Siberia!!!!!!!!!.
It is a valued question, and a valued argument.
Good luck Alan and may Club X do well.

Bray Head
14/01/2014, 12:45 PM
As this is not Stallinst Russia, or North Korea, perhaps under F.O.I rules, the previous (now banned) thread on Club X should be restored.
It would be interesting to see if this thread could be opened up again on club X., or would editor risk being taken overnight to Siberia!!!!!!!!!.

I agree, plenty about club X that can be discussed without the treat of legal action.

Mr A
14/01/2014, 12:55 PM

The lack of any solid information makes things difficult. Why would dahamsta expose himself to more hassle from a club with a record of doing so?

There have been some comments about Bray here recently, but as before we've only seen rumours and innuendo. Until there are some facts people should be very careful.

On an unrelated note- wasn't there meant to be a Pat Devlin news conference today?

Mr A
14/01/2014, 1:25 PM
Turns out it's happening right now, some tweets from Paul O Hehir:

Devlin re @BrayWanderers : Leaves bad taste as wasnt right and wasnt fair. I'm risking my reputation today by being honest.

Devlin re @BrayWanderers :"there's no logic to any of this"

Devlin re @BrayWanderers "some players didnt want to move but did because of treatment of me and back room staff"

Devlin asked about Alan Mathews: I've no badness to who is there now but I'm disappointed they are there.

Devlin on @BrayWanderers : sad its ended like this but didnt have to. Ended by people who said they had club at heart

That's top table of Devlin press conf over. Read more in @IrishMirror tomorrow

peadar1987
14/01/2014, 2:41 PM

AFAIK, the Bray forum was closed because certain people wouldn't stop discussing forbidden topics when told to, and the management got fed up telling those involved to stop, so it was easier to drop the forum than to face Bray's continued legal action.

For me, Bray made a huge mistake in doing this. foot.ie was the only online Bray Wanderers community, and taking legal action against your own fans for what amounted to rumours and hearsay, and in the process destroying that community, was incredibly stupid. What they should have done was to create an account, PM the posters in question, and discuss their concerns, instead of going after Adam. Using legal threats as first recourse is a massive dick move, as well as utterly counterproductive in terms of trying to make the club successful.

wandererfan
14/01/2014, 3:25 PM
AFAIK, the Bray forum was closed because certain people wouldn't stop discussing forbidden topics when told to, and the management got fed up telling those involved to stop, so it was easier to drop the forum than to face Bray's continued legal action.

For me, Bray made a huge mistake in doing this. foot.ie was the only online Bray Wanderers community, and taking legal action against your own fans for what amounted to rumours and hearsay, and in the process destroying that community, was incredibly stupid. What they should have done was to create an account, PM the posters in question, and discuss their concerns, instead of going after Adam. Using legal threats as first recourse is a massive dick move, as well as utterly counterproductive in terms of trying to make the club successful.

sure theres been a new bray fourm every since the one here was taken down. www.wandererschat.proboards.com

wonder88
14/01/2014, 6:03 PM
Was at game in Tolka last year when Mathews was still in charge, and while they lost (v Drogheda the Uachtarán was there same night) they were even enough on balance of play until the last 10 minutes. It was clear that a small number of Shelbourne fans had taken a dislike to him, and when things started to go wrong towards the end of the game a number of them became very abusive towards Mathews. It reminded me of a game in Terryland a few seasons ago when a few Drogheda fans came over to behind dugout Mick Cooke was in and started abusing him at start of the 2nd half. Drogheda equalised late in the game and it was not long afterwards that Cooke was up for a number of awards for his management skills. Therefore it will be interesting to see how it works out for Mathews at Bray. Would anyone on the forum who gathers the stats of the league be able to tell if Shelbourne's results improved under Johnny McDonnell.

Mr A
14/01/2014, 7:02 PM
Pat Devlin statement:

"After many great years of involvement I am extremely disappointed that i will not be involved with Bray Wanderers for the 2014 Airtricity League season.

"During those great years I am proud of my service as a player, manager, director of football and shareholder at the club. My record as manager includes two FAI Cup wins, First Division titles as well as participation in European club football. I am too proud of my work in bring in sponsorship and other financial resources to the club over a long period of time.

"It brought great satisfaction to me too that following the Play Off against Longford Town last November, Bray Wanderers will participate in the Premier Division of the Airtricity League of Ireland for the tenth consective year.

"The achievement, along with the other achievements during my time with Bray Wanderers, could not have happened without the committment and loyalty of those players who played under me as well as the coaches and backroom staff who worked with me. All of these became very good friends to me.

"I would like to sincerely thank all the loyal supporters of Bray Wanderers FC who followed us through good times and difficult ones and were instrumental in bringing us through many tight situations on the field. This support was very much appreciated by the players, staff and me.

"I am also grateful to the members of the media for their coverage of my involvement with Bray Wanderers down through the years.

"I am extremely disappointed that loyalty has not been recognised and staff and a number of players have not had promised commitments delivered upon by the club. I have worked extremely hard behind the scenes over the last number of weeks to try and have these commitments delivered upon by the club but regretfully to no avail.

"My disappointment is compounded by the fact that a new management team has now been put in place without previous commitments being delivered upon. I have always tried to be fair in my dealings with players and staff and I had hoped that others would act in like manner.

"I will not forget those players and staff effected and I will still try and ensure that their promised commitments are being delivered upon as quickly as possible.

"As a shareholder I still have a vested interest in Bray Wanderers FC and in ensuring that the club acts in the interest of players, staff and fans alike.

"If and when Bray Wanderers is in a position to win League trophies or FAI Cups again then I will be there among the fans who supporters me and all Bray Wanderers fans in celebrating such great days.

"I will continue to be a supporter of Bray Wanderers FC and I would like to wish the club every good wish for the future."

Captain2007
14/01/2014, 7:07 PM
The lack of any solid information makes things difficult. Why would dahamsta expose himself to more hassle from a club with a record of doing so?

There have been some comments about Bray here recently, but as before we've only seen rumours and innuendo. Until there are some facts people should be very careful.

On an unrelated note- wasn't there meant to be a Pat Devlin news conference today?

Hmmm, could not agree with you more :) , read the paper in the morning for the facts.

Ezeikial
14/01/2014, 8:25 PM
Hmmm, could not agree with you more :) , read the paper in the morning for the facts.

I hope so, because neither the Pat Devlin statement nor the extratime.ie article (http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/11577/bray-departure-leaves-devlin-a-bad-taste/) sheds much light on the facts of the dispute.

centre mid
16/01/2014, 3:59 PM
I always got the impression that some of Shels players lost interest last season and didnt play for Matthews, the clubs disciplinary record was pretty poor iirc. On the positive there is enough time and enough players floating around that he should be able to string together a squad. Heres hoping anyway.

BonnieShels
17/01/2014, 12:42 AM
I always got the impression that some of Shels players lost interest last season and didnt play for Matthews, the clubs disciplinary record was pretty poor iirc. On the positive there is enough time and enough players floating around that he should be able to string together a squad. Heres hoping anyway.

Our disciplinary record was abysmal before that in fairness. He should have went long before he did as it just became nasty between the "fans" and him. I'll always appreciate what he did for the club though. Best of luck in Wickla.

Longfordian
17/01/2014, 7:16 AM
Apparently one of the main reasons he quit in the end was that he asked the Shels board to try and do something about the personal abuse he was getting but they refused as they didn't want to annoy the fans.

BonnieShels
17/01/2014, 2:21 PM
Apparently one of the main reasons he quit in the end was that he asked the Shels board to try and do something about the personal abuse he was getting but they refused as they didn't want to annoy the fans.

Sounds about right.

Our board aren't known for their sensible approaches to most things.

marinobohs
20/01/2014, 3:43 PM

......... hmmmm and there was some of us thinking it was the fact Shels were rooted to the bottom of the League and playing arse numbing 'football' in front of ever decreasing crowds. :o

I would think Mattews was around the game long enough not to be bothered by the baying 'masses' at Tolka Park. sounds like a good story for Directors who were silly enough to appoint him though

Longfordian
20/01/2014, 4:36 PM
Abuse from his own club's fans was always something he's found difficult to ignore, he got a little bit of it in Longford at times. But you're right that it wasn't working at that point, the abuse was just what brought things to a head seemingly.

FTA1895
20/01/2014, 5:39 PM
Our disciplinary record was abysmal before that in fairness. He should have went long before he did as it just became nasty between the "fans" and him. I'll always appreciate what he did for the club though. Best of luck in Wickla.

"Fans", get off it! The chap was nothing but a cancer on our club. You earn respect, he didn't!

BonnieShels
20/01/2014, 8:17 PM
......... hmmmm and there was some of us thinking it was the fact Shels were rooted to the bottom of the League and playing arse numbing 'football' in front of ever decreasing crowds. :o

I would think Mattews was around the game long enough not to be bothered by the baying 'masses' at Tolka Park. sounds like a good story for Directors who were silly enough to appoint him though

And got us out of the graveyard and kept us up. Once he did that he shoudl have went. Ah well.
Down we go.

wonder88
21/01/2014, 9:34 PM
Do the vocal Shels fans think that Johnny McDonnell is a better manager? My own opinion (from a distance mind) is that McDonnell was mediocre enough when in charge at Pats. Be interesting to see if he can get Shels straight back up this year.

BonnieShels
29/01/2014, 12:53 AM
It's hard to really tell at this juncture. We were as good as doomed last season by the time he took over, the great run not withstanding, but all will rest on this year.