PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in the FAI

Pages : [1] 2

Robinski
20/10/2004, 9:59 AM
The lads in Merrion Square are at it again. It seems Rooney & Delaney have fallen out (weren't they best buddies when they ran Dillon and Fahy out?) and there's going to be a vote of confidence on Rooney tomorrow.

What do people think about this?

I thought he was doing a good job. He's brought interesting friendlies to Lansdowne Road this year (and we have Portugal next year), he's more prominent at eL matches than any other CEO I remember, he seems to have a very good relationship with Kerr and let's not forget that he was a major player in bring Roy back.

Comments please. . .

tiktok
20/10/2004, 10:14 AM
I think Rooney's doing a great job.

At least he's running the thing like a business

thejollyrodger
20/10/2004, 10:28 AM
I think Rooney is doing a great job. I hope he wins this vote of confidence.

There was a report in the Phoenix a few months back about the FAI and the internal fighting. Seems like he is winning every fight and has cleared out a savage amount of the old FAI heads.

The Genesis report seems pretty comprehensive and looks good for the future of Irish soccer but its going to take a right while yet until Rooney implements all of it.

Donal81
20/10/2004, 11:09 AM
Rooney's doing a better job than the clowns who were there before but the cosying up to the corporate sector, which, to be fair, was there before him, is getting worse. Real fans are still being denied access to the international games at Lansdowne. It seems to be more efficient now although I'm sure the organisation is only months away from making another huge blooper.

Irish_Praha
20/10/2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah he's trying his best to change an association that doesn't want to change. It's a difficult one because certain staff have to change their role or even leave the FAI for everything to be implemented. Naturally this is going to cause friction. Up to two years ago some of these guys thought they had a secure long-term future in a well-paid job. I know you can say they should help the process along by accepting the fact that the changes can only be good for Irish football. However, it's difficult to be that objective when these changes result in you losing your job or changing your status. As Two Face said "You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs"

I can't remember the exact details of the Genesis report but didn't it give a list of recommendations and a timeframe within which these recommendations should be implemented?
Was that it as far as the people who compiled the report are concerned?
Will someone come in at some stage and review the progress?
IMO this definitely needs to be done as the FAI can't be trusted to regulate how well they are doing. They need someone external with an objective view and no links with the FAI to assess how they are progressing. Where they are doing things right and where they have failed to implement the recommendations.
Rooney appears to be doing a good job on the face of it but for all we know he could a real boll!x behind the scenes.
He's definitely having too man free meals. He must have put on two stone since he started in the job :D

The Donie Forde
20/10/2004, 11:38 AM
Well if the concensus is that he's doing a great job then that doesn't bode very well for him with that shower, does it? ;)

Donie

thejollyrodger
20/10/2004, 12:22 PM
Rooney primed for 'confidence' vote
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1271043&issue_id=11565

FAI Chief Executive Fran Rooney is facing a vote of confidence from his fellow directors on the association's board of management.

An emergency meeting of the board has been called for Friday after FAI President Milo Corcoran received letters of complaint about the CEO from senior members of the Merrion Square staff last week.

It is believed that the letters contain damning criticism of Rooney's management style and outline major problems that have emerged in the day-to-day running of the association.

Some of the staff are also understood to be unhappy that they have yet to receive employment contracts from the association despite repeated requests to the CEO. Relationships between some members of the FAI staff and their boss are believed to have deteriorated to such an extent that they are no longer on speaking terms and only communicate by e-mail.

But Rooney has proved himself an able fighter in the 16 months he has been at the helm of the FAI and has won every major battle fought in the corridors of power at Merrion Square.

He declined to comment last night on the upcoming meeting but his supporters say he will meet the various complaints head on. Rooney is expected to argue that they stem from disagreements over the way he wants to run the association.

The CEO is likely to claim that he is meeting resistance because he is trying to implement the Genesis Report and some staff members are not happy at the prospect of having to face public competition for the jobs they are currently engaged in.

He will also argue that his removal would undo a lot of the work he is currently engaged in, like the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road and the moving of the association's headquarters to Abbotstown.

Several directors are also believed to be concerned about comments by Sports Council chief executive John Treacy at a recent meeting of the Public Accounts Committee in which he expressed his unhappiness at the way the FAI is implementing the recommendations of Genesis Report.

Treacy threatened that the association could see up to €500,000 worth of Sports Council grants due this year withheld if they fail to publicly advertise the four directors jobs that formed a key part of the Genesis Report.

Rooney will claim that he wants to advertise the jobs but is being prevented from doing so by people within the association.

This latest FAI row has once again polarised the association and could lead to several departures no matter who comes out on top.

Rooney is believed to have lost the support of several key directors, like honorary treasurer John Delaney, which could leave him with a major fight on his hands.

But Rooney, who is half-way through a three-year contract, does have a vote himself as he is one of nine members currently serving on the FAI Board. There should be ten but a replacement for former Honorary Secretary Kevin Fahy, who was voted out of office in August, will not be elected until Friday week's National Council meeting.

The nine Board members are President Milo Corcoran, Vice-President David Blood, Honorary Secretary Michael Cody, Honorary Treasurer John Delaney, Declan O'Luanaigh (Eircom League), Eddie Murray (International Committee), Maurice Fleming (Under-age Committee), Jim McConnell (Domestic Committee) and Fran Rooney (CEO).

Gerry McDermott

Its a tough one alright. Some of these clowns have been in the FAI for years, and as Irish_Praha said they dont want to change their roles or loose their jobs. They still see the FAI as some mickey mouse type organisation that can give them a job for life, doing nothing but making life difficult for the soccer team, supporters and stunting development of soccer in the country.

IF they were more competent then it wouldnt come to this. Rooney is opening up the jobs and going to advertise the positions in papers etc. Basically it will be like a business where people get hired and fired for positions depending on their ability.

The FAI wont get €500,000 in grants if it doesnt press ahead with the reforms so it looks like they will. I just wonder will Rooney get re elected when his contract runs out

Fair_play_boy
20/10/2004, 12:57 PM
Fran Rooney knew what he was walking into, IMO. He has done a wonderful job to date, getting rid of a lot of dead wood people and amateur practices.
But he has probably been scarred by the experience, and has probably left some in the association with the knives out for him.
I think he will win the vote of confidence, but then I think he should go soon afterwards, hand over to a fresh set of hands, for the positive reason that the association could benefit from new energy.
Look at Donal O'Grady with the Cork hurlers. Now there is a guy who has left the Cork County hurling set up in far better nick than when he took up the job. It will be a pleasure for the new boss to take up the post. Why not look for that positive progression within the FAI?

1MickCollins
20/10/2004, 5:14 PM
I think the only way to stop FAI squabbling would have been for the government to tie the funding for the new stadium to the full implementation of the Genesis report, that is the important thing, whether muppet A or muppet B is in charge doesn't matter so much as long as their sand box is small. Having said that Rooney at least has some vision of what the organization could and should be. Corcoran is a jerk***. :mad:

One more question - on the new stadium will the FAI be part owners or still tenants, I don't recall if this was clarified?

Bald Student
20/10/2004, 5:52 PM
What annoys me about all the internal FAI politics is that you never hear what the reason for anyone being fired is. There was someone (Fahy?) fired recently and the reason given was that he didn't take minuites ar meetings properly. That reason is too ridiculous to contemplate.

It there is turmoil in the organisation I would have liked to think that there is disagreement over where to invest money or what the priorities of the association are going forward. At least that would be healthy debate. The problem with what is going on at present seems to be that it is all personality driven.

$Leon$
20/10/2004, 7:05 PM
i think the lads from apres match said it best when they described the fai as

"the best football association in merion square"

sums them up, they are a joke organisation, no structure, no vision and worst of all no idea

thejollyrodger
21/10/2004, 9:30 AM
FAI top jobs row puts €2m taxpayers' payout in danger
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1271501&issue_id=11568

THE Football Association of Ireland risks losing €2m-a-year in public funding amid indications of another internal feud.

The row could threaten the position of its chief executive Fran Rooney at a crucial meeting tomorrow.

There were clear signals last night that government ministers are dismayed and deeply concerned that the FAI is about to embark upon another round of internal upheaval.

An emergency meeting of the FAI board has been called for tomorrow on foot of complaints about Mr Rooney's management style.

In government circles, however, there is a strong view that there is an attempt to prevent him completing the full implementation of the Genesis report.

That report was commissioned by the FAI after the Roy Keane controversy in Saipan at the 2002 World Cup.

A crucial recommendation was the creation of four key new posts, directors of finance, performance, football operations and marketing.

Last week at a meeting of the Public Accounts Committee the Chief Executive of the National Sports Council, John Treacy expressed serious concerns at the lack of progress in implementing these reforms.

He was particularly critical of the fact the FAI did not wish to advertise the jobs externally. The Council regards advertising externally as critically important - especially when filling the finance post.

Mr Treacy pointed out the FAI got €2m in public funds this year and €300,000 of this was earmarked specifically for these posts. His concerns, and warnings that the Council might withhold public funds, were monitored closely in government circles.

Mr Rooney said last night that he was hired by the FAI to implement Genesis in full and remained totally committed to that process. He confirmed he has encountered difficulties in recent weeks.

He supports advertising the posts externally to ensure the association attracts the best possible candidates and pointed out that existing staff would be entitled to apply.

Mr Rooney said he will urge his fellow board members to maintain the focus on implementing the Genesis report and seeing through the reforms they have begun.

Last night, a Government spokeswoman said the government's position was very clear and that Sports Minister John O'Donoghue had publicly stated it was fully supportive of the complete implementation of the Genesis report.

"Through the implementation of this report we have seen a lot of progress over the past year and this is very welcome, and we want to see that progress continued," she added.

Her remarks about the progress made and the government's desire to see it continued are seen as a clear endorsement of Mr Rooney's approach.

While the Government says the issue of public funding is solely as a matter for the National Sports Council, which is an independent statutory body, there is little doubt that ministers will have no difficulties if the council decides to withhold or withdraw funding.

Brian Dowling
Political Correspondent

I reckon Fran is going to kick ass especailly when there is such amount of money invovled.

thejollyrodger
21/10/2004, 10:47 AM
maybe not, he could be out on his ear

21/10/04

Eircom league to write to IFA over Rooney comments
By Mark Gallagher

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/sport/Full_Story/did-sgZ1GCiaaRgJ-sgdq-nXlDAyFE.asp
THE Eircom league are to send a letter to the Irish Football Association (IFA) and the Irish football league disassociating themselves from FAI chief executive Fran Rooney’s comments about Northern Ireland soccer.

Rooney has been at the centre of controversy this week, after an ill-advised joke about Northern Ireland football at a function last week. The letter is the first move taken by anyone in the FAI to distance themselves from the remarks that incurred the wrath of many top figures in Northern Ireland soccer.

The Eircom league’s decision has intensified pressure on Rooney, who will attend a specially-convened FAI board of management meeting tomorrow that could mark the end of his high-profile reign in charge.

Rooney’s remarks last week about Northern Ireland and this week about women’s football has turned the tide against him within the association.

It is also believed that senior FAI figures want answers as to how the association’s key alliances with the IRFU and the Government have deteriorated in recent weeks.

Some figures in the association believe Rooney could be facing a vote of no confidence tomorrow afternoon, although the chief executive is prepared to strike back.

Central to Rooney’s argument is that he has been thwarted in his plans to implement parts of the Genesis Report that came out in the aftermath of Saipan.

Robinski
21/10/2004, 11:26 AM
Mr Rooney said last night that he was hired by the FAI to implement Genesis in full and remained totally committed to that process. He confirmed he has encountered difficulties in recent weeks.

He supports advertising the posts externally to ensure the association attracts the best possible candidates and pointed out that existing staff would be entitled to apply.

Mr Rooney said he will urge his fellow board members to maintain the focus on implementing the Genesis report and seeing through the reforms they have begun.

This is where I’m getting confused. The FAI are annoyed that Fran wants to advertise positions externally. It is a strong condition of the governments that the FAI do this in order to get their funding.

It sounds like he's been trying to implement the Genesis Report, yet other board members won't let him and are blaming his 'management style'. Is it that his management style is to implement the report in full and the FAI old hats are trying their level best not to let this happen for fear of change.

After all, aren't they an association that love to talk about getting things done and then putting it on the long finger for as long as they possibly can. Is it that Rooney actually wants to move forward and run it like the business it should be? I think this scares the rest of them, again going back to the point that they all want jobs for life where they sit around, talk Sh*te, do nothing and want a big fat paycheque for it all.

NY Hoop
21/10/2004, 11:38 AM
Again think he's doing a good job. Bottom line he's a businessman and he knows the cut and thrust but he must be worn out dealing with the structures in there.

He has been the most open CEO probably ever. Never a problem with allocating tickets for the EL end of lansdowne. Also seen at EL games.

And crucially he hasnt come out in the papers saying he loves x english club like some of the muppets in the past. One **** even named his house after a certain english ground FFS.

Dont think he'll last his contract but with the money he has he wont starve. Anyway he's the only one who gave me confidence in an organisation that promoted lucifer kilcoyne to president :mad:

KOH

joeSoap
21/10/2004, 11:42 AM
Again think he's doing a good job. Bottom line he's a businessman and he knows the cut and thrust but he must be worn out dealing with the structures in there.

He has been the most open CEO probably ever. Never a problem with allocating tickets for the EL end of lansdowne. Also seen at EL games.

And crucially he hasnt come out in the papers saying he loves x english club like some of the muppets in the past. One **** even named his house after a certain english ground FFS.

Dont think he'll last his contract but with the money he has he wont starve. Anyway he's the only one who gave me confidence in an organisation that promoted lucifer kilcoyne to president :mad:

KOH
Jesus,......against my will I find myself agreeing with you...again!
This has gotta stop!! ;)

drummerboy
21/10/2004, 11:51 AM
There are 9 people on the board including Rooney who will vote on a motion of No Confidence in the CEO. If they are going to propose this motion they must feel they have a chance of unseating him. I certainly hope he manages to survive. Its a case of breaking up the “Jobs for the boys” scenario.

Superhoops
21/10/2004, 8:14 PM
It is a strong condition of the governments that the FAI do this in order to get their funding.

This is a 'power' game and you only need look no further than that boll**ks, John Delaney, a man with an grudge and an agenda (I'll get the b*sta*ds for how they treated my oul man, the bould Joe!).

Delaney is the one, who, in a an 'enlightended moment' (there may have been drink involved, your honour!), agreed Mick McCarthy's WC bonus, without any reference to his fellow officers.

Rooney has brought a commercial culture to the FAI and the diehards are scared of their sh*te that the gravy train has hit the rails. The thoughts of anyone who has half a brain and a moducum of integrity in a position of power frightens the old guard to death.

If Rooney is not allowed to implement the Genesis recommendations (being funded by the taxpayer) then the Government should insist that the FAI are not allowed access to the redeveloped Lansdowne Road.

I suspect that the vote of confidence will go Rooney's way and there will be a communique of harmony and accord issued. I fervently hope that Rooney gets his vote of confidence and then insists that Delaney f**ks off back to Waterford and if Milo sulks in sympathy with his townie he should f**k off with him.

An interesting day tomorrow methinks!

TonyD
21/10/2004, 8:30 PM
Agree 100% re John Delaney, I think he is a scheming, power-hungry flucker. I'm not convinced by Fran Rooney either, but I think Delaney has been angling for the top job for himself from day 1.

Another thing, according to the Herald tonight(so it must be true :) John Treacy has been laying down the law regarding a new director of football role in the FAI. Now forgive me, but who the hell is John Treacy to start getting involved with football matters ?. He is quoted (Herald again) as saying he hoped the new position wouldn't conflict with Brian Kerr, but that there didn't have to be a 'top dog' Now this is ballcocks of the highest order. Football is not a democracy!! There has to be one person in charge, and Kerr has to be the man.

gspain
21/10/2004, 8:34 PM
Agree 100% re John Delaney, I think he is a scheming, power-hungry flucker. I'm not convinced by Fran Rooney either, but I think Delaney has been angling for the top job for himself from day 1.

Another thing, according to the Herald tonight(so it must be true :) John Treacy has been laying down the law regarding a new director of football role in the FAI. Now forgive me, but who the hell is John Treacy to start getting involved with football matters ?. He is quoted (Herald again) as saying he hoped the new position wouldn't conflict with Brian Kerr, but that there didn't have to be a 'top dog' Now this is ballcocks of the highest order. Football is not a democracy!! There has to be one person in charge, and Kerr has to be the man.

Problem is Treacy is head of the Sports Council and they have given the F.A.I. 2 million in grants to appoint these people. Hence the Public Accounts Committee questions hence Treacy looking like an idiot in front of the Dail.

Having said all that I though Kerr was going to get the job or was that Packie's one - not sure.

Superhoops
21/10/2004, 10:03 PM
...The FAI are annoyed that Fran wants to advertise positions externally. It is a strong condition of the governments that the FAI do this in order to get their funding.

It sounds like he's been trying to implement the Genesis Report, yet other board members won't let him and are blaming his 'management style'....

November 2002 FAI Treasurer John Delaney said last night: ‘‘At the end of the day it’s not a question of money; it’s a question of absolutely having to change.’’ He didn't say who had to change... obviously wasn't referring to himself.

Along with the new chief executive’s position, to be filled in the next three months, the other four prescribed appointments would be: director of performance, director of football operations, director of marketing and communications and director of finance and administration. This is the 'bone of contention'. According to John Treacy, FAIreland was planning to fill the positions of director of performance and director of football operations. Some of the responsibilities of both positions were currently being taken care of by the Republic of Ireland soccer manager, Brian Kerr and Packie Bonner, the FAI's technical director. (Maybe David Pleat saw an opening here"!)

In respect of the other two posts, the responsibilities of the proposed director of corporate affairs were currently divided between two employees. (Nothing wrong with job sharing you would think!)

Of most concern to Treacy was the fact that the FAI did not intend to advertise for a new finance director, and intended to promote somebody from within the organisation. I reckon Delaney thought he was a 'dot on the card' for this job (after all he is the only one in Merrion Square who can operate a calculator!)

Hopefully all is now clear! ;) ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

4tothefloor
22/10/2004, 12:48 AM
It's that miserable ba$tard Delaney alright, he's got 'snake' written all over his face. Someone should grab him by his girlie hair and give him a good kick up the hole.

If Rooney is forced out it will be a disaster for football in this country. The FAI and soccer will be a laughing stock, and all progress will be stunted. Typical.

BTW, does anyone here know what way the e-mail addresses go in the FAI. For example is it mary.byrne@fai.ie, or marybyrne@fai.ie etc?

Superhoops
22/10/2004, 6:30 AM
If Rooney is forced out it will be a disaster for football in this country. The FAI and soccer will be a laughing stock, and all progress will be stunted. Typical.
From today's Indo:

FAI order Rooney to stay away from crunch talks
Friday October 22nd 2004
FAI chief executive Fran Rooney has been told not to turn up for today's Board of Management meeting at which his future with the association is due to be discussed.

Last night Rooney received a letter from FAI president Milo Corcoran in which he was instructed to stay away, even though he is one of the nine directors on the board.

Rooney was last night consulting with his legal advisers as he tried to work out his next move in the battle to hang on to his €250,000-a-year job.

He had been expected to answer severe criticisms of his management of the association from senior members of staff who formally wrote to the FAI president last week and triggered today's emergency meeting of the Board.

And it also emerged last night that members of the Board want to haul him over the coals for a joke he told about the Northern Ireland football team at a retirement function for football journalist Billy George.

Although Rooney has publicly apologised for his gaffe, it didn't stop the Eircom League's Board of Control deciding this week to send a letter to the Irish Football Association in Belfast dissociating themselves from the remarks.

The decision to exclude Rooney from the board meeting means that his future may not be decided today. Normal FAI procedure is to set up a sub-committee which would be asked to examine the allegations against Rooney and also carry out a detailed evaluation of his 16 months in charge of the association.

The FAI Board will have to wade its way through the allegations and counter-allegations to find the truth but there is no doubt that there are serious issues for them to deal with.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence about the chaos that currently reigns within Merrion Square and it is no secret that the association has been haemorrhaging staff over the past 12 months.

There have also been problems with some of the association's main sponsors and there is confusion about the state of the FAI's current relationship with the Government.

Rooney believes that he has the necessary answers to the charges being levelled against him and, if he gets the chance, he is likely to demand that any investigation would also cover the FAI's ticketing operation. He claims it is causing him concern and is one of the reasons for the current crisis.

The CEO also alleges that he is facing opposition from those opposed to his plans to continue implementing the Genesis report, something that is being strenuously denied.

The Sports Council announced last night that it is withholding the €300,000 grant it had awarded the FAI to help them pay for the four new top management jobs, which were proposed by the Genesis Report in 2002.

Their statement said: "In March 2004, the Irish Sports Council allocated €300,000 to the FAI for the implementation of the Genesis Report, as part of an overall allocation of €2million for 2004.

"On October 4, high-level delegations from the Council and FAI met to discuss the latest FAI proposals on the implementation of Genesis. John Treacy appeared before the PAC again on October 5. He explained that the Council was not satisfied with the progress made on the appointment of the four Directors.

"This position was endorsed at a meeting of the full Council of October 15. The Council authorised the chief executive to withhold the €300,000 if he was not satisfied that urgent and meaningful progress was being made on filling the Director posts.

"A letter was issued today, October 21, requesting the FAI to provide revised proposals on the implementation of Genesis. The deadline for the new proposals is October 29. If the chief executive is not satisfied with the FAI proposals the funding will be withheld," said the statement.

Rooney, who appeared on RTE's Primetime programme last night, said that he was confident the FAI could submit suitable proposals to the Sports Council by next week's deadline.

However, Rooney is likely to face serious questions from the Board as to why it took him until the beginning of this month to furnish the Sports Council with his proposals.

"There is no point in trying to fill four boxes when there are question-marks surrounding the top box," said one FAI insider last night.

But the chief executive said last night he still remains committed to Genesis and denied that he should resign because the posts haven't been filled.

"I am totally committed to making this happen. This isn't a question of resignation, this is a question of making it happen. I need to get the Board and every one connected to bring this forward. This has to be driven forward and it is my job to drive it forward."

Would be interested to know what this is about! :confused:

Stuttgart88
22/10/2004, 8:07 AM
I'd like to know what the Norn Iron joke was.

Peadar
22/10/2004, 8:15 AM
BTW, does anyone here know what way the e-mail addresses go in the FAI. For example is it mary.byrne@fai.ie, or marybyrne@fai.ie etc?
Used to be First initialSurname@fai.ie as far as I remember.
MByrne@fai.ie

razor
22/10/2004, 8:38 AM
3 young fellas in school were asked what there dads did for a living, first boy said electrician, second fella said carpenter and the 3rd fella said his dad was a stripper in a gay bar, the teacher said come on Johnny don't be making it up what does your dad really do ?
He plays for Norn Iron Miss, but I was too ashamed to say it.

gspain
22/10/2004, 8:38 AM

An old one but briefly

Teacher asks class how their fathers contribute to the community.

1) Johnny Daddy is a carpenter....

2) Paddy Daddy is a doctor....

3) Mickey Daddy is a stripper in a gay bar and takes it.....

Afterwards teacher has a private word mickey your Daddy isn't a stripper is he - No Miss he is a Northern Ireland footballer but I was too emabarrassed to say it....

stickyjoe
22/10/2004, 8:40 AM
as far as i know the joke was something along the lines that a stripper in a gay bar would have as much fun as someone playing for norhtern ireland at the moment

its hardly a sectarian comment as some newspapers reported unless he said more then i heard :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
22/10/2004, 8:52 AM
Jaysus, can't anyone say anything anymore? So flippin' what.

Duncan Gardner
22/10/2004, 8:58 AM
The joke wasn't sectarian- its point merely that NI aren't very good. Fair enough, we've won only three of our 11 matches under Dirty Sanchez :o

Some NI fans- and gay lobbies- are exaggerating their outrage a bit.

Future consultancy reports to be commissioned by FAI towers,

Exodus- Fran's fired. But will he walk on water?

Samuel #2- popular English League 1 stalwart McIlrubbish replaces Kerr for a second stab at international supremodom?

Hebrews- ****, the group's a four-horse race!

Thessalonians #2- bad goals given away by Arse's leaky defence?

(That's enough Bible- Ed.)

Robinski
22/10/2004, 9:23 AM
Rooney & Delaney have been very close up to this. I agree with an earlier post saying that Delaney is looking for the top job for himself.

Here's my conspiracy theory:

Saipan incident happened - perfect opportunity for Delaney to get Menton out. However, there are still others he wants out and he needs support in doing so. He brings Fran in as his new buddy-buddy. Together they get rid of Dillon, Fahy etc. Now there are less people in the way of Delaney's goal.

Rooney's doing a pretty good job, how will he get rid of him? Leak as much as possible to the press, i.e. quotes and the like (in fairness Sepp Blatter is pretty famous for his major bloopers and he runs FIFA!).

Oust out Fran and the job is open again, welcome to the big seat you sh*t Delaney.

drummerboy
22/10/2004, 9:36 AM
It's that miserable ba$tard Delaney alright, he's got 'snake' written all over his face. Someone should grab him by his girlie hair and give him a good kick up the hole.

mary.byrne@fai.ie

gufct
22/10/2004, 9:37 AM
Johnny D. Rooney made the big mistake after taking up office of allying himself with this scumbag who has done more damage to the FAI in the last 5 yrs than they had done to themselves previously.

He has also stated in an interview not long after he was potrayed as a crusader by amoan Dunphy that the basis for all this was to avenge a percieved wrong against his father Shoeless Joe after the Ticket Fiasco at USA '94.This man has set up various members of the FAI to do his dirty work and then shafted them Brendan Menton,John Byrne and Kevin Fahy all helped him shaft Bernard O'Byrne and help Bertie Shaft Eircom Park which would be due to open next year.

Delaney had ensured that he had Total Control by installing his lapdog Michael Cody and removing the only 2 obstacles as he Thought Fahy and Dillon Brendan Dillon from the Board of Control before Rooney finally saw the light about 16 months too late.

Dont forget the Public Accounts Committee have yet to get a breakdown of how Grants were handled by the FAI and the eircom League and what the clubs used them for which will cause blue murder when the full story emerges today is only the tip of the Iceberg and when the truth outs Irish Soccer could be deeper trouble than it already is.

LFC in Exile
22/10/2004, 10:22 AM
The interesting aspect in this I think is certain individual's objection to the external advertising of the finance director position. Why would someone on the board object to that. Although the finance position is very very sensitive. If the person doing that role is capable then why worry about it. If a great candidate applies then ever better for the organisation - and the incumbent still has their current job. Where's the problem?

Reading between the lines, perhaps the reluctance to go outside is because the new appointee might ask difficult questions?

gufct
22/10/2004, 10:35 AM
and thats the reason Johnny D. is bringing this to head as a Smokescreen to cover the Financial Mismanagment that has been his Forte since he took over as treasurer.

The Journalists have a lot more than this in their locker but the fear of Litigation (Johnny D's favourite route) has made their editors refuse to print the real truth.Meanwhile we have lost a lot of good soccer men in the FAI although other chancers like Delaney have been weeded out.

Robinski
22/10/2004, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=gufct]and thats the reason Johnny D. is bringing this to head as a Smokescreen to cover the Financial Mismanagment that has been his Forte since he took over as treasurer.QUOTE]

Rooney knows his figures, he's a chartered accountant, perhaps he asked to have a good look at the books and Delaney got scared. Now, what would he have to hide?

Bondvillain
22/10/2004, 12:04 PM
1.00 p.m. Meeting in Progress. Corcoran has formally asked Rooney not to attend while his conduct over the previous 18 months is discussed. (RTE SPORT)

The status as "the best football association in Merrion square" looks set to continue.....

Robinski
22/10/2004, 12:06 PM
1.00 p.m. Meeting in Progress. Corcoran has formally asked Rooney not to attend while his conduct over the previous 18 months is discussed.

The status as "the best football association in Merrion square" looks set to continue.....

Where is the meeting taking place? Merrion Square? If so, does that mean Rooney sits at his desk upstairs while the lads all bitch about him?

Don't they usually hold these crisis meetings in Citywest Hotel? Interesting if it is there, do you think he drove out anyway and is sitting in the lobby?

thejollyrodger
22/10/2004, 12:29 PM
Looks like the meeting took place at some strange location so that the media couldnt see what was going on.

The FAI is the worst organistion in the country. They wouldnt know the meaning of the word professional if someone threw a dicitionary at them on their head.

Cant see Rooney lasting at that job. I dont think the FAI will ever properly fully reform, its too corrupt. It sickens me to the back teeth watching these muppets.

observer
22/10/2004, 1:32 PM
So Rooney cracks a joke about Northern Ireland's footballers. What the heck does that matter in the real scheme of things. There would have been damn all about it had not Delaney & Co being desperately searching for some angle to shaft him on.
Nowadays you cannot sack someone without reason, and citing the fact that he expects you to be efficient and give value for money dos'nt stand up to well in front of an employment tribunal.
An outburst of rightous indignation from this collection of dinosaurs, in relation to such a minor indiscretion, leaves a bad taste in the mouth. :mad:

Robinski
22/10/2004, 2:48 PM
Rooney had been asking about the ticketing operation as reported in the Indo:

'Rooney believes that he has the necessary answers to the charges being levelled against him and, if he gets the chance, he is likely to demand that any investigation would also cover the FAI's ticketing operation. He claims it is causing him concern and is one of the reasons for the current crisis. '

Could history be repeating itself in the Delaney household?

Metrostars
22/10/2004, 3:28 PM
If Rooney goes, will Kerr follow him?

Robinski
22/10/2004, 3:43 PM
If Rooney goes, will Kerr follow him?

Interesting point. Would Roy also follow?

Barna Bee
22/10/2004, 3:46 PM
but Rooney reamins in charge after the board meeting today is the headline.

This is a good thing

Schumi
22/10/2004, 3:57 PM
They're taking some more legal advice and will have another meeting soon. :rolleyes:

Piece on RTÉ (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1022/fai.html).

Bowsy
22/10/2004, 4:13 PM
Surely it should've been in Rooneys remit to ruffle a few feathers. Isn't he there to try fix something that has been proven to be broken? But as soon as some cantankerous old farts get their noses out of joint all this happens. Jaysus.

thejollyrodger
22/10/2004, 4:53 PM
Just seen on TV 3 that the process to remove Fran Rooney is well underway. The muppets in Merrion Square reckon he is a Bigot and is very difficult to get on with. There are 9 votes to get him out, he has one and they reckon that there seems to be a majority there who want to get rid of him.

jbyrne
22/10/2004, 5:23 PM
if whats being reported is accurate this all just stinks of the lads currently working in the FAI looking to keep the cosy jobs for themselves or promote themselves to even cosier jobs! It’s our football, national teams, national league etc. that they are “administering” (joke!)….. who do they think they are messing our game around like this and dragging it through the mud once again???

i don’t agree with all of what rooney has implemented / changed but I definitely get the impression that things are going in the right direction with him in charge……. what another embarrassing mess!

SunnySweeney
22/10/2004, 5:34 PM
In regard to Rooneys joke I caught the tail end of an interview with a reporter on Newtalk 106 during the week. The guy sounded like he genuinely knew what he was talking about. He said that there are currently discreet discussions going on between some the bigger clubs in the Eircom and Northern Irish League into the feasability of seeting up an all Ireland league at last.The Setanta Cup would be a trial run for this new League and they were specifically concerned about crowd trouble. So with crucial discussions going on maybe it was the wrong time to be cracking jokes about our neighbours and their embarrassing national side. I agree with the earlier post that there was nothing racist in the remark ; just said at the wrong place at the wrong time. Everyone is so sensitive these days but the FAI are probably using the joke as a convenenient stick to beat Rooney with ....

Desyf
23/10/2004, 1:00 AM
Things were supposed to be improving but this sort of over reaction to a comment that any of us could have made is ridiculous.

Any team with NI's record are fair game for a bit of **** taking.

I don't know the bloke but keep him there.

ROONEY IN ROONEY IN ...............