Vienna by Ultravox

That means nothing to me ! Conor

tiktok
21/10/2004, 3:30 PM
That means nothing to me ! Conor

brilliant :D :D

Pablo
21/10/2004, 3:37 PM
I actually really like that song. Except that bit where he empties the cocktail into the pool in slo-mo seemed like such a waste.

and what about those trolly dolly's :p

How far off topic can you get!

patsh
21/10/2004, 3:50 PM
Pepsi and Shirley.

For 2 points, with what song did they chart as a duo?Something like "Showing out" ?

tiktok
21/10/2004, 3:52 PM
For 2 points, with what song did they chart as a duo?

heartbreak? something like that.

Pablo
21/10/2004, 3:54 PM
was considering checking google but then i remembered how far off topic we were!

i think pepsi and shirley deserve their own link Connor ;)

Peadar
21/10/2004, 4:03 PM
Yeah, just thinking was it 'Heartbreak' or 'Heartache',

Heartache!

tiktok
21/10/2004, 4:03 PM
Who played guitar on George Michael's first solo effort, 'Careless Whisper'?

I could be way off the mark, but something niggling at the back of my head means that I'm going to guess Brian May :o

Peadar
21/10/2004, 4:17 PM
Back to Mel and Kim...

??? :confused:

What happened to Pepsi and Shirlie?

NorthoftheLee
21/10/2004, 4:47 PM
Nope. Andrew Ridgeley. So it really was really a Wham song, but credited to GM because he had written it.

Back to Mel and Kim, anyone know their producers (Stock Aiken and Waterman) first number 1 - group and song...

I'm sure there's a thread in Off Topic somewhere, where ones so thought 80's Musical Knowledge can be destroyed by Conor. So can you please use it.. :eek:

lopez
21/10/2004, 11:12 PM
Nope. Andrew Ridgeley. So it really was really a Wham song, but credited to GM because he had written it.I heard AR never struck a single chord or muttured one word during his illustrious career with Wham! Just stood around looking pretty in an effort to make George look Butch. Oh, hang on! Yeah he hit a triangle...once. :D

thecorner
22/10/2004, 1:25 AM
was planning on doing a radio show on the pirate station i work on,buzz 101.5 fm of all the 80's tunes...add them here so i can go thru my collection

dortie
22/10/2004, 8:26 AM
Jesus, I could be here all day listing great stuff from the 80s.

Just make sure you cover everything, new wave, new romantic, rock, pop and don't forget the house explosion at the end of that decade.

Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, China Crisis, Talking Heads, Big Country, Love and Money, Nik Kershaw, Howard Jones, Kraftwerk, Duran Duran, BAD, Grace Jones, Flock of Seagulls, Frankie GTH, Stone Roses, New Order, Sisters of Mercy, Mission, 808 State etc. etc. etc. etc.

What about the mighty popsters Erasure !! Although I was more into Depeche Mode

the 12 th man
22/10/2004, 9:19 AM
what was the name of the spoof band formed by the monty python team
which featured members called "dirk mc quigley" and "stig" ??

(the band they were taking the mickey out of were probably one of the most famous groups ever)

Duncan Gardner
22/10/2004, 9:19 AM
Dortie- get yourself over to Tallinn Estonia pronto. DM bar is at 4, Nomu, in the Old Town.

They were supposed to get the NI replica shirt kindly donated by Sr lopez, but alas it got er appropriated by a Russian stripper :cool:

drummerboy
22/10/2004, 9:26 AM
Anybody see the documentary about the Sex Pistols last night on BBC3. Brialliant stuff!! Have to say the hatred between Johnny Rotten and Malcolm Maclaren is still as bitter as ever.

dortie
22/10/2004, 9:56 AM
The Ruttles.

Dortie, I lkiked Erasure. They had some truly great pop, like Sometimes and Chains of Love. They were HUGE, they must have had 30 top ten hits.

Seen both Erasure and Depeche Mode a few times in concert. Andy Bells dress sense was a tad odd and mixed up but his voice and talent made up for it.

DM shoes...501s turned up and a green bomber Jacket with white t-shirt, they were the days

the 12 th man
22/10/2004, 10:09 AM
what famous guitarist has recorded both with philip lynott & chet atkins ?

patsh
22/10/2004, 10:27 AM
what famous guitarist has recorded both with philip lynott & chet atkins ?Would that be Mark Knopfler?

Dublin12
22/10/2004, 10:28 AM
Would that be yer man out of Dire Starits?

Dublin12
22/10/2004, 10:29 AM
You just beat me to it Pat :p

the 12 th man
22/10/2004, 10:30 AM
Would that be Mark Knopfler?

bang on.
he did an album with chet atkins and a single called "kings call" (about elvis) with philo :)

thecorner
22/10/2004, 11:44 AM
how about the greatest band of the 80s

the cure

thecorner
22/10/2004, 11:55 AM
ah now conor

the cure are the greatest band ever

tracks like a forest,six different ways,charlotte sometimes,just like heaven are all legendary

thecorner
22/10/2004, 12:15 PM
Oh, and liked Catch too.

off one of my all time fav albums kiss me kiss me kiss me

Kowalski
22/10/2004, 12:32 PM
band of the eighties has to be Tears For Fears,
Head Over Heels - great in that school scene in donnie darko
Everybody wants to Rule The World - Classic
Mad World - Much better than the donnie darko version

patsh
22/10/2004, 12:53 PM
The Smiths were the best band of the eighties

Bondvillain
22/10/2004, 1:01 PM
Found a fantastic station driving out of dublin (around 96fm or so), no banter, just the best of the eighties scene. From Stillorgan to Rathcoole (where i lost the signal) I got
And She Was :Talking Heads
This Charming Man : The Smiths
The Globe : B.A.D.
Infected : The The
Rainy night in Soho: The Pogues
Jackie Wilson Says : Dexy's
Rock N' Roll High School : The Ramones
The Sun and The Rain : Madness
and Bizzarely
"my friend john" by Those Nervous Animals!
(IN THE BEST TRADITION OF K-TEL'S VOICE OVER MAN):
And many, many more....

Cool.

dortie
22/10/2004, 2:45 PM
Would love to have seen DM, I've seen their concerts on video and they look outstanding live. Gahan seemed to know how to get a crowd really going. 'Violator' must be one of the best albums from the 80s. Hard to beat that anthemic synth sound.

They were indeed outstanding. Gahan has to have one of the best voices in the pop world, still does, the Singles collections are a pretty good buy if you want all the old hits. Violator was a classic although it was actually 1990 when it was released. Exciter (2001) and Ultra (1997) have some classics too, dont think they managed high chart status.

green goblin
22/10/2004, 3:07 PM
Oh dear...
This is the day- The The
Blue Boy- Orange Juice
What Difference does it make- the Smiths
St Swithins Day- Billy Bragg
Anchorage- Michelle Shocked
Going Underground- the Jam
Look of Love- ABC
Just like honey- Jesus and Marychain
Debaser- Pixies
Kerosene- Big Black
Fairytale of New York- the Pogues
London Calling- the Clash
Rebel without a Pause- Public Enemy
Hang Ten- the Soup dragons....
Lost Weekend- Lloyd Cole
Spoilt Victorian Child- The Fall
Teenage Riot- Sonic Youth.

Metrostars
22/10/2004, 3:59 PM
The early REM stuff is great

fosterdollar
22/10/2004, 4:25 PM
U2 anyone?

Ruairi
22/10/2004, 5:04 PM
the chili peppers album from 85ish, Freaky Styley, is quality and i'd reccomend it if you want to know what the chili peppers were capable of before they turned crap

Bondvillain
22/10/2004, 5:31 PM
Aw Man! Microdisney! Corrupting the nations youth on afternoon tv with the video for "Pop singers Hampstead home" Great memories.....Preferred "town to town" though...

Bizzaro Irish 80's list:

Seven into the Sea : In Tua Nua
C.I.A. : Light a big Fire
Hello (petrol) :Something Happens
My Friend John : Those Nervous animals (nothing wrong with em at all!)
Television Screen : The radiators (Well I didnt hear it until the 80's anyway...)
Aidan Walshe : Rock my brainy head
Power of dreams : Never been to Texas (90's?, well, you get the vibe....)
Cactus World News : The Bridge

And all others who served:
A HOUSE
MY BLOODY VALENTINE,
FREDDIE WHITE,
CRY BEFORE DAWN,
GUERNICA,
ENGINE ALLEY,
THE VIRGIN PRUNES,
GHOST OF AN AMERICAN AIRMAN,
THE FAT LADY SINGS,
ROCKY DeVALERA,
TOASTED HERETIC
STARS OF HEAVEN

stars, one and all on the great episode of "TvGaGa" in the sky.....

.....we miss you......

dortie
22/10/2004, 9:31 PM
Rebel without a Pause- Public Enemy

Dont believe the hype !

Fear of a black planet - Classic Album

thecorner
23/10/2004, 1:40 AM
The early REM stuff is great

remember the r.d.s. concert

Closed Account 2
26/10/2004, 9:19 AM
Lads what about Bruce Springsteen ?

Glory Days, Dancing in the Dark, 1984
Hungry Heart, The River, 1982
And the mother of all songs, Born in the USA !!!

Other stuff:-

Europe ~ Final Countdown
Decon Blue ~ Dignity, Fergus sings the Blues
Berlin ~ Take my breath away

green goblin
26/10/2004, 9:28 AM
Europe ~ Final Countdown

Oh Lordy. Joey Tempest. Best use of soft metal poodle haircut ever. :eek:

If we're fishing for the for the champions of the Euro-pop musical nuclear accident genre, then I much prefer the vastly superior 99 Red Balloons by Nena. :)

Plastic Paddy
26/10/2004, 9:32 AM
Oh God no. I think we've had this thrashed out before.

I like Goth, the Mission, The Sisters of Mercy etc. But not that poppy middle of the road harmless goth of the Cure, though 17 Seconds was a fine album and Play for Today a great song. But after that there was a lot of mushy rubbish like Friday I'm in Love and LoveCats.

As do I, as you know. SoM, the Fields of the Nephilim, Bauhaus, James Rays Gangwar, I loved 'em all. Imagine my shock then about two months ago when my new boss started (I work in local government) and it turned out that he was the bass player of the last-named band all those years ago. Priceless. :eek: I got him to sign the covers of all the albums and singles of theirs that I (still sadly) own. :D

If we're fishing for the for the champions of the Euro-pop musical nuclear accident genre, then I much prefer the vastly superior 99 Red Balloons by Nena.

I think I led a very sheltered life as a kid. Nena singing on ToTP was the first time I really remember seeing a woman with hairy armpits. :eek: ;)

:D PP

green goblin
26/10/2004, 9:37 AM
I think I led a very sheltered life as a kid. Nena was the first time I really remember seeing a woman with hairy armpits. :eek: ;)

:D PP

Hertfordshire does indeed have a human shield defending a young man from this kind of thing.
Showing me age here, but first single I remember buying was "Because the Night" by Patti Smith. Again, a lady who looks like she's got a stoat nestling under each arm. Brrr...

lopez
26/10/2004, 10:59 AM
...I think I led a very sheltered life as a kid. Nena singing on ToTP was the first time I really remember seeing a woman with hairy armpits.Very de rigeur in Germany in the eighties and Austria as far as 1995 when I was there for the 3-1 game. My brother-in-law mentioned M(??) and 'Pop Musik' the other day (New York, London, Peckham...erm sorry, Paris, Munich/Everybody's talking about...Pop Musik), from circa 1979. That and Amadeus by Falcao (??) are my candidates for crap Euro-pap. Far worst than that jail-bait now married to Johnny Depp singing about her taxi, or Nena, who despite her armpits was (and still is if you watched 'I love 1983' a couple of years ago) babe-a-licious.

Pat O' Banton
26/10/2004, 11:33 AM
The Smiths were the best band of the eighties

80s? Surely ever. This isn't up for debate it is a fact.

Anyway think that these are all eighties but;

3 Feet high and Rising - De La Soul
Psychocandy - The Jesus and Mary Chain
Isn't Anything - My Bloody Valentine
The Queen is Dead & Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths
Red Roses & If I should Fall from Grace with God - The Pouges
It takes a Nation of Million to Hold Us Back -Public Enemy No1
The Stone Roses - tThe Stone Roses

are prob the top albums of the eighties, I know that I've missed a couple of obvious ones out along the line.

PaulB
26/10/2004, 12:15 PM
Best of the eighties and nobody has mentioned the Go-Betweens, most unrated band ever..a few others.

Swansway - Soul Train
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
China Crisis
The smiths
The Bunnymen
Stranglers (strange little girl one of the best singles of the 80s)
Old Heaven 17
Simple minds - pre don'y u forget about me (glitterign prize, american etc)

Compare all that to the ****e out now.. Weren' the 80's wonderful!

green goblin
26/10/2004, 12:40 PM
80s? Surely ever. This isn't up for debate it is a fact.
Anyway think that these are all eighties but;
3 Feet high and Rising - De La Soul
Psychocandy - The Jesus and Mary Chain
Isn't Anything - My Bloody Valentine
The Queen is Dead & Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths
Red Roses & If I should Fall from Grace with God - The Pouges
It takes a Nation of Million to Hold Us Back -Public Enemy No1
The Stone Roses - tThe Stone Roses
are prob the top albums of the eighties, I know that I've missed a couple of
obvious ones out along the line.

Oh, well played. :D Any of these albums stand up now as good as anything from any decade before or since.

Best of the eighties and nobody has mentioned the Go-Betweens, most unrated band ever..a few others.
Swansway - Soul Train
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
China Crisis
The smiths
The Bunnymen
Stranglers (strange little girl one of the best singles of the 80s)
Old Heaven 17
Simple minds - pre don'y u forget about me (glitterign prize, american etc)
Compare all that to the ****e out now.. Weren' the 80's wonderful!

Go-Betweens- saw them loads from Postcard era through to later on. Still great. Good call for Heaven 17 too, Facist Groove Thing still gets a play in our house. Simple Minds are a mystery- loved The American, Sweat and Bullet, and then they became dreadful.. :confused: :( .

PaulB
26/10/2004, 12:52 PM
HEaven 17s Penthouse and pavement was a great album at the time. have it on Vinyl, bought it on cd a coule of years back, boy did it sound dated.

XTC and undertones 2 i forgot to mention earlier, and Husker Du!, they're all coming back to me now. The vinyls will be dusted off tonight.

green goblin
26/10/2004, 1:04 PM
Husker Du!... The vinyls will be dusted off tonight.

Oh, the only platters that matter are getting a good seeing tonight and no mistake!

If Penthouse and Pavement sounds dated, Dare still sounds fresh as a daisy in places. Black Flag, anyone?

PaulB
26/10/2004, 1:28 PM
Totally agree on Dare, classic album.

PaulB
26/10/2004, 1:32 PM
If Penthouse and Pavement sounds dated, Dare still sounds fresh as a daisy in places. Black Flag, anyone?[/QUOTE]

As a side note, bought the cd version of Dare on the way to Switzerland in September. Anyone who was in Tony and Jerrys bar the Wednesday night would have heard it being blared out, and all the 80s disco kings on the dance floor, what a night!