PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Wednesday, 5th March 2014 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Fixer82
01/01/2014, 8:23 PM
Way early with this thread I know but the wife got me tickets for Premium level and I've never been to premium level in Aviva before.

Do I get free beer and food or is it just a nice seat?
Please say I get free beer and food

ps I predict 1-1

BonnieShels
02/01/2014, 2:13 AM
Who's the fifth king of Serbia?

Dodge
02/01/2014, 10:18 AM
Way early with this thread I know but the wife got me tickets for Premium level and I've never been to premium level in Aviva before.

ps I predict 1-1

You get the chance to buy beer and somewhere indoors to hide at half time if you're cold. That's about it.

Yard of Pace
02/01/2014, 11:19 AM

ps I predict 1-1

Yep, Delaney pulls the pint for you himself and then squeezes the ketchup on to your hotdog, whilst exchanging pleasantries.

dantheman
02/01/2014, 11:56 AM
Who's the fifth king of Serbia?

King Arkan the Great

back of the net
02/01/2014, 12:08 PM

ps I predict 1-1

Tried it once for an Ireland game due to a work event - nothing free im afraid

Just the privilege of having access to a nearby bar that unfortuntely served some overpriced slop at the time that they classed as beer - which you have to drink inside at the bar (cant take out to seat)

Preferred my usual seat in the lower stands but glad i tried it out all the same

tetsujin1979
02/01/2014, 12:16 PM
King Arkan the Great He wasn't that great. Now Arkan the second, there was a king worthy of the moniker "Great"

Charlie Darwin
02/01/2014, 12:28 PM
Yep, Delaney pulls the pint for you himself and then squeezes the ketchup on to your hotdog, whilst exchanging pleasantries.
I thought that was only at away games?

Fixer82
02/01/2014, 2:01 PM
So I don't get to walk out holding Robbie's hand and stand with the team for the team photo?

McNasara
02/01/2014, 4:59 PM
This will be the first game for us with a new coach, who is still unknown.

Kingdom
02/01/2014, 5:53 PM
I didn't realise Mihajlovic had resigned, probably for the best though. Who is in the running to take over?

McNasara
03/01/2014, 11:25 AM
I didn't realise Mihajlovic had resigned, probably for the best though. Who is in the running to take over?
Mihajlovic took over Sampdoria and has not lost in the first five games. Our big problem is the president of the FA, and if he doesn't resign it will be a disaster for Serbia.
There are several Serbian coaches who are unemployed: Miroslav Djukic (Valencia), Dragan Stojkovic (Nagoya), Aleksandar Stanojevic and Ljubisa Tumbakovic (both from the Chinese league)... Also we have Ljubinko Drulovic who won the U19 Euro last year, while Felix Magath is mentioned as the only candidate from foreign experts. I have no clue.

SkStu
03/01/2014, 2:23 PM
Igor Stimac is doing nothing...

Kingdom
03/01/2014, 7:03 PM

Ha ha, good one.

TheOneWhoKnocks
03/01/2014, 7:07 PM
Josip Simunic also has a bit of free time on his hands.

SkStu
03/01/2014, 9:13 PM
Ha ha, good one.

It works brilliantly on so many levels.

McNasara
03/01/2014, 11:22 PM

Josip Simunic also has a bit of free time on his hands.

I never thought that you follow so much current football situation in my country. ;)

DeLorean
06/01/2014, 3:19 PM
The guy who just left Lazio is Serbian I think but he has already agreed to take over Switzerland after the WC (therefore just a bit of useless information).

McNasara
06/01/2014, 4:43 PM
The guy who just left Lazio is Serbian I think but he has already agreed to take over Switzerland after the WC (therefore just a bit of useless information).
Otherwise, he is a Bosnian (a bit more of useless info :))

DeLorean
06/01/2014, 5:06 PM
Oh right, that fixes that I guess.

Crosby87
07/01/2014, 1:05 AM
What do those premium seats go for generally?

DeLorean
07/01/2014, 8:27 AM
They seem to be priced at €50 (plus add-ons) with ticketmaster.ie (http://www.ticketmaster.ie/republic-of-ireland-v-serbia-dublin-03-05-2014/event/18004A28D56A506C?artistid=1570244&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=741) for this match.

McNasara
14/02/2014, 7:48 PM
Mihajlovic took over Sampdoria and has not lost in the first five games. Our big problem is the president of the FA, and if he doesn't resign it will be a disaster for Serbia.
There are several Serbian coaches who are unemployed: Miroslav Djukic (Valencia), Dragan Stojkovic (Nagoya), Aleksandar Stanojevic and Ljubisa Tumbakovic (both from the Chinese league)... Also we have Ljubinko Drulovic who won the U19 Euro last year, while Felix Magath is mentioned as the only candidate from foreign experts. I have no clue.
He was appointed as interim coach today, the least experienced of all the available candidates, so it is likely a new coach will be appointed in May.

TrapAPony
20/02/2014, 11:25 AM
Squad :

Forde, Randolph, Elliot,

R Keogh, Wilson, Coleman, O'Shea, Pearce, Kelly, Delaney, Dunne, Clark, Ward,

Whelan, Green, Reid, McGeady, Pilkington, McCarthy, McClean, Quinn, Meyler, Hoolahan

Long, Murphy, Walters, Doyle, Stokes, Cox

No Ireland or Given and Robbie staying in LA

Stuttgart88
20/02/2014, 11:29 AM
29 man squad - covering all bases.

No Keane, which would probably be fair even if he was fit. We need to learn what we can do without him.

Murphy will be pleased. Wasn't Meyler overlooked last time? Was anyone else overlooked who might have expected to be there?

DeLorean
20/02/2014, 11:50 AM
Yeah, no glaring omissions. I suppose Hendrick is one who has dropped out but he can't have any complaints seeing as he's not getting his game with Derby, same with Sammon.

Razors left peg
20/02/2014, 12:21 PM
Its a little surprising that they arent having a look a some new faces but there is nobody really making a great case for inclusion that has been left out.

Once again though I think the usual speculation of going after English born players after a new manager comes in has been shown to be rubbish.

OwlsFan
20/02/2014, 12:27 PM
I assume Joey O'Brien is injured. The much maligned Green and Cox maintain their places. Not sure what Daryl Murphy adds. Can't remember when he got his last cap but it was a while ago and his scoring rate is very poor for a striker. Only really Andy Keogh and Conor Sammon miss out from the Trap era although Keogh had been dropped I think from his last few squads. Hendrick isn't starting for Derby (came on as a sub against Wednesday) and had been out with an injury for a while. He'll be back.

Crosby87
20/02/2014, 12:28 PM
Many on here breathing easy knowing they have a chance at seeing Long Cox once again.

DeLorean
20/02/2014, 12:41 PM
To be honest, I can't help being slightly depressed reading our list of strikers. Long is the only one I genuinely enjoy watching and feel can do something a little bit special from time to time. The rest either lack pace, craft or simply aren't good enough. We should definitely be looking at changing to one up front and get an extra body where it's needed and where we have higher quality options. In that sense, I think it's the opposite to when Trap took over when it was worth playing two up front, as Doyle was probably too good to leave out at that point. We weren't blessed with too much quality in midfield (certainly after Steven Reid's injury, Stephen Ireland's refusal to play and Andy Reid being discarded) so it made a bit of sense. Thank God we have Robbie Keane to come back.

DeLorean
20/02/2014, 12:55 PM
Hendrick isn't starting for Derby (came on as a sub against Wednesday) and had been out with an injury for a while. He'll be back.

I agree that he will get back in at some point. On a selfish level, it was unfortunate that he was injured when McClaren was appointed and Derby's subsequent run of form has hindered him getting back in the team. McClaren obviously rates him as he comes on pretty early in every match. Eustace has become an integral part of Derby's new found ability to defend better as a team, as he plays the deep lying midfielder role very well. McClaren tried to force Hendrick back in when he started the game away to Leicester instead of Eustace, but Derby were trounced on the night and he has played Eustace since. The best thing that could happen is for Derby to sell the sought after Will Hughes, and this should open up a spot for Hendrick in his more natural midfield position.

Suppose it's worth noting that Gibson and Brady will be back in the squad in due course also, so he might have to bide his time a little longer.

DannyInvincible
20/02/2014, 12:58 PM
No Keane, which would probably be fair even if he was fit. We need to learn what we can do without him.

Robbie has returned to training/action. He scored a penalty for LA Galaxy in a pre-season friendly yesterday, although probably isn't at full fitness just yet: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/19/la-galaxy-forward-robbie-keane-says-he-felt-sharp-preseason-debut-after-offs

CARSON, Calif. -- Robbie Keane made his first game appearance of the preseason Wednesday, and if he looked a bit rusty, as expected, well, he didn't see it that way.

The Irish striker, who returned to full training last week after undergoing offseason surgeries on both Achilles' tendons, teamed up front with Samuel for the second half of the LA Galaxy's 2-0 closed-door victory over UCLA at StubHub Center, converting a 62nd-minute penalty kick to add to Chandler Hoffman's first-half strike.

“Felt good. Felt sharp,” Keane said afterward. “I'm only going to get stronger as the more games we're going to play, but I think I played well. I look forward to Saturday's game [against LA Galaxy II].”

Keane, as is his custom, dropped deep into midfield and took on a playmaker's role, looking to link with Samuel up top and spreading the ball wide for Gyasi Zardes on the right. It resulted in several decent scoring opportunities, but shots were off-target and UCLA goalkeeper Earl Edwards made two fine stops on Zardes.

“Robbie needed it,” Galaxy coach Bruce Arena. “That's his first run this year. We've got to build on that. Definitely [he was rusty], to be expected. His fitness isn't there yet, he's got to get his touch a little bit cleaner, but it was a good first time on the field.”

Keane didn't quite see it that way.

“I thought [my touch] was very good, actually. I'm very happy,” he said. “It was my first real game in three months -- I was very, very happy. Some good touches, some good movements. Scored, obviously, so I felt very good.

“The last 10 minutes, with the [warm] weather and your first game -- the first 35 minutes were very good, felt sharp. The last 10 minutes, just keeping the ball, going through the motions a little bit. That's to be expected.”

Keane's return to the field enables the Galaxy to work on its attacking connections, with Samuel and fellow newcomers Rob Friend, Stefan Ishizaki and Baggio Husidic building chemistry with their captain.

“Having him just doubled our team,” said Friend, who teamed up top with Hoffman in the first half. “He brings so much, and this is the first time I saw him in a game. I'm so excited to play with him. He brings so much into the team offensively. We need a guy like that combining and making those final passes. Every pass of his is very dangerous.

“As a striker, it's a dream to play with a guy like that.”

Keane doesn't think it will take long to build the connections. He felt comfortable with Samuel from the start.

“I just need to see someone play once to get a feel for them,” he said. “I have a good feel for what he likes and his movements and where he likes the ball.”

Robbie's claiming he's fit and healthy though, so in light of this dropping from the squad, I presume he'll now stick to his word and vow angrily never to play for us again...

According to RTÉ, O'Neill spoke with Stephen Ireland on the phone, but we'll have to wait and see how things develop on that front, if, indeed, there are to be any developments there: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0220/505552-keane-to-miss-serbia-clash/

There was no recall for keeper Shay Given or Stoke midfielder Stephen Ireland, however, O'Neill said that he had spoke to the duo on the phone and will see how things develop in the future.

O'Neill said that Ireland was 'warming' to a meeting and that he wanted to meet him in person ahead of any decision.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 1:05 PM
Yeah, no glaring omissions. I suppose Hendrick is one who has dropped out but he can't have any complaints seeing as he's not getting his game with Derby, same with Sammon.

Green hasn't been getting his game either. Hendrick is a far better footballer. Selections of Kelly and Cox are a little strange as well but there is nothing to get worked up about.

It would have been nice to see O'Kane selected but as someone else pointed out, he may be injured.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 1:09 PM
Its a little surprising that they arent having a look a some new faces but there is nobody really making a great case for inclusion that has been left out.

Once again though I think the usual speculation of going after English born players after a new manager comes in has been shown to be rubbish.

The most high profile Granny Rule footballers are Arter, Chambers, McGoldrick, Carruthers, Grealish, Stearman, Bamford, Noble, Hammill, Buckley and Davies.

One of them is injured. The best (Davies and Bamford) have no inclination to play for Ireland. Several are too young. A couple haven't even shown an interest. The rest are downright not good enough.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 1:12 PM
Robbie has returned to training/action. He scored a penalty for LA Galaxy in a pre-season friendly yesterday, although probably isn't at full fitness just yet: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/19/la-galaxy-forward-robbie-keane-says-he-felt-sharp-preseason-debut-after-offs

Robbie's claiming he's fit and healthy though, so in light of this dropping from the squad, I presume he'll now stick to his word and vow angrily never to play for us again...

According to RTÉ, O'Neill spoke with Stephen Ireland on the phone, but we'll have to wait and see how things develop on that front, if, indeed, there are to be any developments there: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0220/505552-keane-to-miss-serbia-clash/

Robbie Keane implied he would retire from International football if he was so much as dropped to the bench. I really don't see how not being in the squad because of an injury/fitness issues has anything to do with that.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 1:16 PM
I assume Joey O'Brien is injured. The much maligned Green and Cox maintain their places. Not sure what Daryl Murphy adds. Can't remember when he got his last cap but it was a while ago and his scoring rate is very poor for a striker. Only really Andy Keogh and Conor Sammon miss out from the Trap era although Keogh had been dropped I think from his last few squads. Hendrick isn't starting for Derby (came on as a sub against Wednesday) and had been out with an injury for a while. He'll be back.

He can't possibly be any worse than Cox or Walters. He has Premier League experience and has spent the majority of his English career playing for Top 12 standard Championship teams. His goalscoring record is pretty good when you take into account that he has played on the wing in approximately half of his PL and Championship games. So if O'Neill doesn't play him as an orthodox striker, he won't look lost like Walters and Cox do when they play there.

I'm happy with his call-up. On form, athletic, strong, versatile and good in the air.

Stuttgart88
20/02/2014, 1:18 PM
OF, Joey O'B is out for 3 months I think.

SwanVsDalton
20/02/2014, 1:19 PM
Welcome back Daryl Murphy. Thought his national ship had sailed long ago, but he must be doing something right. I've never rated him all that highly, but if we're looking for a second physical option after Walters, he's probably a shade better than Sammon. Plus always good to see more former LOI guys in.

Overall not a whole lot of surprises. More interested in seeing how O'Neill and Keane line them out. Also noticed the RTE report indicated Stephen Ireland continues to throw coquettish glances across the room and is 'warming' to having the honour of playing for his national side.

Stuttgart88
20/02/2014, 1:19 PM
He can't possibly be any worse than Cox or Walters.Of course he can be worse.

tetsujin1979
20/02/2014, 1:22 PM
Green hasn't been getting his game either. Hendrick is a far better footballer. Selections of Kelly and Cox are a little strange as well but there is nothing to get worked up about.

It would have been nice to see O'Kane selected but as someone else pointed out, he may be injured.
Green's started and come off the bench in the last two games for Ipswich

DeLorean
20/02/2014, 1:27 PM
Green hasn't been getting his game either. Hendrick is a far better footballer.

I wouldn't disagree with that, in principle, but Green has done well for us and has earned his place in the squad on that basis. Things seem fairly shambolic at Leeds anyway, hopefully things will go better for him at Ipswich. He is certainly good enough to play for a top half Championship side on a regular basis.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 1:28 PM
Green's started and come off the bench in the last two games for Ipswich

He's still lacking sharpness after not playing for several months though. I think Hendrick may be a little sharper and riding the crest of a wave with the rest of that Derby team.

OwlsFan
20/02/2014, 2:03 PM
Robbie Keane implied he would retire from International football if he was so much as dropped to the bench. I really don't see how not being in the squad because of an injury/fitness issues has anything to do with that.

Untrue and a gross and deliberate misinterpretation of what he said but this has been well covered in other threads.

Daryl Murphy has scored 44 in 255 games. What he would bring is some physicality but we have that already up front. Certainly would not bring the scoring touch or ability of a Robbie Keane. Not one for the future and I would have preferred if someone like Adam Rooney was given a chance.

I think Hendrick may be a little sharper and riding the crest of a wave with the rest of that Derby team.

Do you work for Sky with those football cliches?

DannyInvincible
20/02/2014, 2:05 PM

Whether or not that was what Robbie implied (and I don't believe it was), my comment was light ribbing. Don't take what I said too seriously. :)

Welcome back Daryl Murphy. Thought his national ship had sailed long ago, but he must be doing something right. I've never rated him all that highly, but if we're looking for a second physical option after Walters, he's probably a shade better than Sammon. Plus always good to see more former LOI guys in.

Keane obviously rates Murphy. Murphy played under Keane at Sunderland with Keane later signing him on loan for Ipswich when in charge there.

DannyInvincible
20/02/2014, 2:15 PM
More on Robbie's absence here: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2014/02/20/4632578/robbie-keane-omitted-from-squad-for-serbia-friendly-while-oneill

O'Neill revealed that he met with Galaxy boss Bruce Arena to discuss the 33-year-old's progress following surgery and agreed that he was better served sitting out the Serbia game.

"I met up with his manager Bruce Arena in London in January," explained the Ireland boss. "We both agreed to let him get settled in after the operation. They're starting the season very, very shortly.

"We'll monitor his situation and hopefully he'll be ready for the summer games.

"Robbie's pretty happy with that. For the travelling time, if I'm going to look at someone else at this minute, if I'm going to play him for maybe a half of a game, I didn't feel it was worth it."

SwanVsDalton
20/02/2014, 2:25 PM
Keane obviously rates Murphy. Murphy played under Keane at Sunderland with Keane later signing him on loan for Ipswich when in charge there.

I know the history. He didn't set the world on fire for Keane when he was there, but at least Roy is still fond on him ie they didn't have a massive bust-up.

Stuttgart88
20/02/2014, 3:16 PM
Robbie Keane implied he would retire from International football if he was so much as dropped to the bench.
Dog. With. Bone.

No he didn't. You understood that because you didn't bother to dig beneath the headline.

geysir
20/02/2014, 4:50 PM
"Robbie's pretty happy with that."

Well I never, Robbie is happy to be missing out on this friendly! It just goes to show that he doesn't care that much and was probably making demands of 'play me or else'!
TOWK was right all along.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 5:58 PM
Untrue and a gross and deliberate misinterpretation of what he said but this has been well covered in other threads.

Daryl Murphy has scored 44 in 255 games. What he would bring is some physicality but we have that already up front. Certainly would not bring the scoring touch or ability of a Robbie Keane. Not one for the future and I would have preferred if someone like Adam Rooney was given a chance.

Do you work for Sky with those football cliches?

Daryl Murphy is streets ahead of Adam Rooney in terms of ability, as their respective experiences in The Championship have proven; and as I have said, 1 in 3 as a striker and experience of playing in several positions at the highest level stands him in good stead for another run at International level.

I think it makes more sense to call up a better, young midfielder rather than an inferior, aging midfielder who has had several injury lay-offs over the last few seasons. It's not a major gripe, though I would be very concerned if Green started against a team like Russia again.

TheOneWhoKnocks
20/02/2014, 6:01 PM
Dog. With. Bone.

No he didn't. You understood that because you didn't bother to dig beneath the headline.

Someone in Robbie's position and experience of dealing with the media should be more astute about how he says things. What he said - taken at face value - has obvious connotations.