PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy reveals his Croke Park dream

Casegrande
24/12/2001, 7:59 PM
[from Sports.com]

Mick McCarthy has again called on the GAA to open Croke Park to soccer – and he believes the government should turn to the most famous venue in the country in their search for a national stadium.

The World Cup-bound Republic of Ireland manager made his comments at a series of press briefings before he spoke at a Shelbourne FC dinner in Dublin.

He wants nothing more from 2002 than to reach the World Cup quarter-finals in Japan and South Korea and then parade his team at Croke Park for a European Championship qualifier.

“My Christmas wish is an easy one this year,” said the man who has emulated the qualification feats of his mentor Jack Charlton.

“I want a fully fit squad for the World Cup finals, I want to do what Jack did and take the team to the last eight in the Far East and I want to lead an Irish soccer team out at Croke Park.

“It would be a dream come true for me if the GAA allowed us to use Croke Park next autumn. Lansdowne Road is unavailable to us then as the pitch is being re-seeded and if we want to play in Dublin there are few alternatives.

“Croke Park is already a magnificent stadium and when it is finished will be as good as anything I have seen or played in across the world.

“I would really love to manage an Irish soccer team for a European qualifier there in 2002. That would make my year.”

Sports.com columnist McCarthy has also hit out at claims that he has already agreed a new four-year deal with the FAI to stay on as national boss.

So far only his assistant Ian Evans has agreed a new deal to stay on after the World Cup finals, with four years only an option if McCarthy sticks around.

Despite leaked reports to the contrary, McCarthy has yet to formally discuss his future with his employers. And nothing will happen until the New Year at the earliest.

“I have not signed a deal, nor is one imminent,” said McCarthy.

“Yes, my advisors are talking to the FAI and it is well documented that I want to stay in charge, all the way to the 2006 World Cup if that is possible.

“But I have not done any deal and I will not conduct my business in public. When the time is right I will make an announcement, but not until then.

“I am not going to conduct my affairs through the media. When the time is right I will make my announcement.”

Éanna
25/12/2001, 7:10 PM
Originally posted by Casegrande
“I have not signed a deal, nor is one imminent,” said McCarthy.

well, glad to see our directors have more common sense than the FAI :rolleyes:

A face
26/12/2001, 11:08 PM
[From The Examiner]

December 19, 2001
FAI will net minimum of £2m World Cup cash

By James Whelan
THE FAI will net a minimum of over £2m even if Ireland make an exit after the three first group games.
All 32 finalists taking part in next year’s finals will benefit from a 51% increase in FIFA payouts compared to the 1998 World Cup finals in France.

Michel Zen-Ruffinen, the general secretary of the world organising body FIFA said, after an extraordinary meeting of the FIFA Executive Committee, that the increase, sought by many finalists, would also include the introduction of an incentive for the teams that are successful as the rate of match fees increases through the tournament.

In the past it has been a flat rate fee for each team for each match played, a situation that caused fears among many of the finalists for the 2002 finals, to be co-hosted by South Korea and Japan, that the fees would be inadequate to cover their costs.

Initial indications from FIFA were that, following an initial £400,000 contribution, they would only give each team a further £550,000 per game in which they took part at the finals. That was about the same as at France ’98, when costs were much lower, and some countries started lobbying for up to £1m per game.

There are then rising amounts for further progress, ranging from a further £700,000 for reaching the second round to just over £1million extra for winning the final compared to finishing as runners-up.

The winners will qualify for an overall total pay-out of just over £5million, which would be 70% more than France received in triumphing almost four years ago.

FIFA have agreed to send each squad to Japan and South Korea using business, rather than economy, class airline seats and will increase accommodation cost contributions.

General secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen added: ‘‘As Japan is more expensive, we will be offering more money to those teams based in Japan, although the exact amount still has to be decided.

‘‘But when you add it all together, there is no doubt that bigger and smaller associations will break even when they take part in the finals.’’

FIFA’s executive committee also agreed to allocate a further £5.5million towards ‘‘increased security measures’’.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter added: ‘‘We have taken the decision that the finalists should be paid correctly. The 32 teams are the actors on the field and they make the funds available to the FIFA family.

‘‘This is the most expensive World Cup that will ever be organised. It is one World Cup with the expenses of two World Cups, because with 20 stadia, the FIFA organisation is also doubled, with problems over IT.’’

Éanna
27/12/2001, 12:18 AM
wonder where that'll disappear to :rolleyes:

Éanna
27/12/2001, 12:25 AM
just looked at my two posts on this thread- Haven't I got very cynical in my old age! :D