PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie advertising

redobit
07/12/2013, 1:02 PM
WTF. Some very young looking Asian girls been advertised on here lately. If somebody sees it on your screen in passing, God only knows what they are thinking.. When you work in an open plan office or have kids I just don't bother opening Foot anymore in case of the type of advertising that might pop up or who might see it. I know advertising is important but ffs lads.

legendz
07/12/2013, 2:10 PM
Are ads based on cookies and possibly reflective of the websites someone might have on recently?

peadar1987
07/12/2013, 2:25 PM
Are ads based on cookies and possibly reflective of the websites someone might have on recently?

Yes, but they can be a bit... strange in the way they handle them. You look up Thai food, next time you load up the page, you get ads for Thai prostitutes.

redobit
07/12/2013, 2:42 PM

:D :D Well trust me I aint, unless the boss or the wife is using my computer and likes Asian food.

Its only ever on Foot.ie website that it happens is why I was wondering.

NeverFeltBetter
07/12/2013, 3:05 PM
Yeah, I only ever seem to get ads for World of Warplanes recently, and I haven't a clue why.

poster
07/12/2013, 3:58 PM
Ad blocker does the trick.

bluemovie
07/12/2013, 4:22 PM
Yes, but they can be a bit... strange in the way they handle them. You look up Thai food, next time you load up the page, you get ads for Thai prostitutes.

I've had the same thing happen to me, but the other way around. And I don't even like green curry!!

NeverFeltBetter
07/12/2013, 9:18 PM

But denies the site revenue.

Charlie Darwin
08/12/2013, 1:25 AM
Wouldn't normally endorse it because websites like this rely on them but if you're at work it's always a good idea.

ATFC-1887
08/12/2013, 1:28 AM
This is the one site i disable adblock for. But i do find the ads on it are rather "strange" at times.

redobit
08/12/2013, 4:12 PM
Cheers lads. Glad to hear Im not the only one getting some mad advertisements on here. (odd its only this website too).

Done the add blocker there and it works a treat. I understand websites are advertising supported, but in fairness what can you do. Especially at work in an open plan office.

Edit: That adblocker is dead handy for P2P sports websites like First Row Sports who have a million pop ups.

legendz
08/12/2013, 4:55 PM
You should be working harder anyways!! In fairness this site works well on mobile unlike some other sites. Useful for anyone having to use mobile due to some restrictive websites at work.

nigel-harps1954
08/12/2013, 8:23 PM
I do find some very interesting advertisements on here too. This is the only website I disable adblock for, but at times, I find myself putting it on because of some of the strange ads putting me off.

Sean South
08/12/2013, 8:59 PM
I use ad blocker here too. Don't see why you'd turn it off either.

nigel-harps1954
08/12/2013, 9:11 PM
I use ad blocker here too. Don't see why you'd turn it off either.

Foot.ie makes it's money from advertising. When you use adblock, that ceases. I'd prefer, personally, to see foot.ie make it's money every time I visit than to deny the site of necessary revenue.

passinginterest
09/12/2013, 4:22 PM
Of course you could become a member and both support the site and avoid ads...
http://foot.ie/payments.php

nigel-harps1954
09/12/2013, 6:09 PM
Of course you could become a member and both support the site and avoid ads...
http://foot.ie/payments.php

Ah yes, forgot about this actually, something I meant to do for a long time now and never got around to it. Cheers for the reminder.

dahamsta
10/12/2013, 12:06 PM
Jaysus, why would you post this in the league forum for feck's sake!? I did see some rather suggestive skyscraper ads last week, I thought they'd dropped out of rotation, but I see they're back now. These seem to be for thaimatches.com, which I've blocked now.

I'm always happy to do this if someone will click on the ad for me to get the URL. :) (I actually got ticked off by Google for clicking ads to do this in the past, but it turns out you can find the destination by copying the URL and scanning the 1000-odd characters for an hour and a half looking for something that resembles one.)

Google also allows you to block categories, but I'd prefer to avoid that; for example I wouldn't like to block dating sites completely just because of these dodgy hoors, when you're all a bunch of hard-up good-for-nothings that couldn't get a girl if she offered it up on a platter. Ye need the hoors.

No offense like. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to add, this'll take an hour or two to take effect. Thanks for tipping me off.

thischarmingman
12/12/2013, 12:38 AM
It's a disgrace. An absolute disgrace.

Why haven't I seen any of these?

dahamsta
12/12/2013, 1:41 AM
I knew I should've taken a screenshot...

TheBoss
17/04/2015, 12:20 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else getting pop ups lately when visiting the site, I noticed this happening over the last few days.

dahamsta
17/04/2015, 10:27 AM
I'm not running any intentionally anyway, and they're unlikely to come through AdSense. I'd run a virus scan if I was you.

TheBoss
17/04/2015, 9:28 PM
I run scans every day (antivirus, adware, malware, pups etc.) and get nothing, its only when I come onto foot.ie this happens, no other website which I find very odd. Next time, I will post up the link(s) that appear, if it still happens.

dahamsta
20/04/2015, 11:53 AM
Yes please, and a screenshot.

strangeirish
20/04/2015, 12:28 PM
Is your pop-up blocker active on whatever browser you're using?

TheBoss
21/04/2015, 6:40 AM
^Yep, its working fine.

I decided to clear the browser cache files, and it seems to have stopped.......for now.