PDA

View Full Version : Snooker 2013/14

Pages : [1] 2

swinfordfc
01/12/2013, 9:06 AM
Lads,

David Morris seems to be a up and coming Irish man in the snooker world - he's 93 in the world rankings at present but he in the last 32 of the UK's that on now. Doherty is out already (no surprise there) but O'Brien is through also and Mark Allen is playing today!

swinfordfc
03/12/2013, 3:22 PM
Morris and Allen in the last 16 now - its great to see Morris getting this far - could be up against it in his next match though!

Real ale Madrid
04/12/2013, 8:19 AM
Morris and Allen in the last 16 now - its great to see Morris getting this far - could be up against it in his next match though!

Morris is having a great season so far - already a Quarter Finalist at the Wuxi Classic ranking event in China. Tough ask against Stuart Bingham this morning - seeded 10. They start at 9.30.

Edit - beaten 6-1, good week for him though. Bingham is a top player.

swinfordfc
05/12/2013, 5:20 PM
Bingham beat O'Suillivan today 6-4

Also great win for Allen yestarday over Trump - fair play

swinfordfc
12/12/2013, 3:41 PM
Morris, Greene and Allen through to German Masters proper - Swail is out.

Doherty and O'Brien playing now .....

Real ale Madrid
16/04/2014, 10:42 AM
Well done to Ken Doherty who has qualified for the Crucible in Sheffield for the World Championships which starts on Saturday. He beat the eccentric Dechawat Poomjaeng from Thailand 10-5 in his round 4 qualifier yesterday

Fergal O’Brien takes on Robbie Williams of England today in his round 4 match.

swinfordfc
16/04/2014, 2:17 PM
No fair play - his 19th appearance there - well done

O'brien is 6-2 up at present - should make it there as well!

Real ale Madrid
16/04/2014, 9:10 PM
O'Brien 9-9 against Williams . 1 frame shoot out for place at world championships just started.

Edit 58-58 now with just the black remaining - 1 ball shoot out!

Edit 2 - and O'Brien is out, beaten 10-9. Was 7-2 up at one stage. Tough loss.

pineapple stu
16/04/2014, 11:44 PM
I see Robin Hull, the Finnish guy, has qualified. Amazing achievement given he started (and was knocked out) in the first round of pre-qualifying last year. Seven more rounds between that and the stage he's now reached.

Real ale Madrid
17/04/2014, 7:16 AM
I think it is a massive achievement to make it through the 4 main rounds of qualifying. Only 3 players managed it this year - Hull, Williams and Michael Wasley. 16 qualifiers join the 16 seeds for today's 1st round draw.

Real ale Madrid
17/04/2014, 11:54 AM
Here is the first round draw for the Dafabet World Championship, made on April 17…

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Robin Hull (April 19 10am and 7pm)

Joe Perry v Jamie Burnett (April 20 10am and April 21 10am)

Shaun Murphy v Jamie Cope (April 19 2.30pm and April 20 7pm)

Marco Fu v Martin Gould (April 22 10am and April 23 2.30pm)

Barry Hawkins v Dave Gilbert (April 22 2.30pm and April 23 10am)

Ricky Walden v Kyren Wilson (April 21 7pm and April 22 7pm)

Mark Davis v Dominic Dale (April 23 7pm and April 24 1pm)

Ding Junhui v Michael Wasley (April 20 2.30pm and April 21 2.30pm)

Mark Selby v Michael White (April 21 10am and 7pm)

Ali Carter v Xiao Guodong (April 19 7pm and April 20 2.30pm)

John Higgins v Alan McManus (April 21 2.30pm and April 22 10am)

Stuart Bingham v Ken Doherty (April 19 10am and April 20 10am)

Judd Trump v Tom Ford (April 22 2.30pm and April 23 10am)

Stephen Maguire v Ryan Day (April 19 2.30pm and April 20 7pm)

Mark Allen v Michael Holt (April 22 7pm and April 23 7pm)

Neil Robertson v Robbie Williams (April 23 2.30pm and April 24 7pm)

Real ale Madrid
19/04/2014, 1:38 PM
Doherty played some good stuff this morning and is trailing Bingham 5-4 overnight . Thoroughly enjoyable and Doherty more than held his own even if his safety play was pretty poor throughout. He is potting really well though and if he can tidy up his safety play he's in with a chance now. 10am again tomorrow to a finish.

Real ale Madrid
20/04/2014, 10:47 AM
Talking to myself in here but just brilliant to see Ken Doherty roll back the years this morning and take advantage of an off colour Stuart Bingham in their first round match. Doherty has cleaned up his safety play a bit but Bingham has made a string of errors to hand the oldest man in the draw the initiative. Doherty leads 8-5 and needs 2 more to book his place in round 2. Magnificent stuff. Let's hope he can hold his nerve now!

Edit - no problems! Doherty through with ease! 10-5 . John Higgins or Alan McManus next!

swinfordfc
20/04/2014, 12:08 PM
Talking to myself in here but just brilliant to see Ken Doherty roll back the years this morning and take advantage of an off colour Stuart Bingham in their first round match. Doherty has cleaned up his safety play a bit but Bingham has made a string of errors to hand the oldest man in the draw the initiative. Doherty leads 8-5 and needs 2 more to book his place in round 2. Magnificent stuff. Let's hope he can hold his nerve now!

Edit - no problems! Doherty through with ease! 10-5 . John Higgins or Alan McManus next!

It's a great win but his safety play needs to tighten up alot! - but a win is a win and fair play - its his first win here for 8 years! Alan McManus could beat Higgins as well!

bennocelt
20/04/2014, 1:10 PM
Was surprised to see it on the box this morning,good to see Ken back at the crucible. Bingham kind of gave up though, my god he hadn't the heart after losing the lead

CraftyToePoke
24/04/2014, 2:07 AM
Anyone else finding the standard a lot less clinical from the A list players in the early stages this year ? I mean, it's nice to see the odd underdog have a tilt at a top player and the odd one squirm through also, but it seems to be the rule so far rather than a pleasant occasional exception. I caught it in Hendry's voice in commentary also earlier, scarcely concealed disdain for the amount of chances needed to put a frame / match away and a lack of moral fortitude in the shot selection in the players fumbling attempts to do so. There was a guy yesterday (White Vs Selby maybe) who took the match the distance without making a break over 42 till the latter stages.

They say the standard had never been higher, with players from the top 32 and 64 more capable of taking out a top 16 player than ever before, but they seem to be somehow dragging the elite players down a level to do so, rather than rising above them in scoring and single visit frame wins. So far.

Am I being harsh ? Or entering that scary era of my life where the 90's can be viewed with rose tinted massive upside down spectacles ?

BonnieShels
24/04/2014, 2:33 AM
Anyone else finding the standard a lot less clinical from the A list players in the early stages this year ? I mean, it's nice to see the odd underdog have a tilt at a top player and the odd one squirm through also, but it seems to be the rule so far rather than a pleasant occasional exception. I caught it in Hendry's voice in commentary also earlier, scarcely concealed disdain for the amount of chances needed to put a frame / match away and a lack of moral fortitude in the shot selection in the players fumbling attempts to do so. There was a guy yesterday (White Vs Selby maybe) who took the match the distance without making a break over 42 till the latter stages.

They say the standard had never been higher, with players from the top 32 and 64 more capable of taking out a top 16 player than ever before, but they seem to be somehow dragging the elite players level to do so, rather than rising above them in scoring and single visit frame wins. So far.

Am I being harsh ? Or entering that scary era of my life where the 90's can be viewed with rose tinted massive upside down spectacles ?

I would say it's a combination of both.

Real ale Madrid
24/04/2014, 7:26 AM
I think the standard is down this year - Doherty / Bingham was the first match I sat down and watched properly and I thought the standard was ok. But there have been a few a good bit worse since then. Mark Allen played well, so did Ronnie of course and Neil Robertson seemed nice and clinical yesterday. But there have been some games I've had to switch off as well. Judd Trump / Tom Ford was brutal, Selby / White was poor - and even though I didn't watch apparently the Hawkins / Gilbert game was not good either.

Ken Doherty goes in round 2 tomorrow against Alan McManus. World ranked 28 v 29 for a place in the last 8. 2.30 for session 1 tomorrow, 10.00am and 7.00pm Saturday as well. Best of 25 Frames.

pineapple stu
24/04/2014, 8:56 AM
They say the standard had never been higher, with players from the top 32 and 64 more capable of taking out a top 16 player than ever before, but they seem to be somehow dragging the elite players down a level to do so, rather than rising above them in scoring and single visit frame wins. So far.
I think a general criticism of snooker in the past few years has been that the standard isn't higher; just the players are more evenly matched. So the newer players are only as good as the top 90s players when they're in their 40s. Snooker's one of the few sports where you can see players aged 40+ compete at the top level (golf, chess and...?), which shouldn't be knocked; it's fun to see Davis or Doherty or Jimmy White play every now and again. But it seems the reason for that is that there's no-one really coming through.

I was at the UK championships in York a couple of years ago; Higgins v Maguire and there was I think one century break all match. Not a new thing really.

bennocelt
24/04/2014, 9:57 AM
Used to watch the snooker in late 80s/90's but couldnt watch it now unless its Ronnie, or if an Irish player is on the box. The players are pretty dull, and no matter how much they try to jazz it up ("The jester from Leicester", feck off!), it will never catch the public's attention like the 80s/early 90s.

Mr A
24/04/2014, 10:54 AM
I've always thought it would be fun to start a Ken Doherty hooligan firm. The first ball he pots, start chanting the roof off the place and then wreck the joint.

bennocelt
24/04/2014, 11:31 AM
I've always thought it would be fun to start a Ken Doherty hooligan firm. The first ball he pots, start chanting the roof off the place and then wreck the joint.

I would immediately set up a Fergal O Brien cross city rival firm:D

Eminence Grise
24/04/2014, 1:54 PM
Anyone else finding the standard a lot less clinical from the A list players in the early stages this year ?

It's been a while since I've had the chance to watch this much snooker over a short period, and I've been surprised at the number of players with the yips. There's been an impatience about some of the younger players - like they have to play quickly or take the risky pot rather than play safe. The misses make it more exciting in one way, but there's still something impressive about old-fashioned safety play.

CraftyToePoke
24/04/2014, 4:15 PM
It's been a while since I've had the chance to watch this much snooker over a short period, and I've been surprised at the number of players with the yips. There's been an impatience about some of the younger players - like they have to play quickly or take the risky pot rather than play safe. The misses make it more exciting in one way, but there's still something impressive about old-fashioned safety play.

I've had the flu for three days and the BBC red button was my only companion for much of it, so I saw pretty much every shot up to today. I think there is a lack of respect for the game among younger players in their shot selection at times, and I personally don't find a frame with several misses per player exciting. I much prefer an extended period of well executed safety shots followed by a 50+ visit having squeezed an error from the opponent than guys taking on shot after shot that their ability level doesn't extend to.

Change is not good.

bennocelt
24/04/2014, 4:36 PM
I remember a final - was it Dott and Ebdon - that seemed to go on forever, but it was enjoyable all the same, safety can be good to watch, and def some of the modern players have a problem with it. Can Ding, for example, play a safety game?

CraftyToePoke
24/04/2014, 5:48 PM

Yeah, with one man tasked with a run at the snooker table with a chainsaw. And Ken's opponents cue.

Stuttgart88
24/04/2014, 8:28 PM
When are we going to play that game Crafty? I have a 46 break to my name, albeit 28 years ago.

Back then the Worlds were the highlight of my sporting year. I remember in 1982 I was watching a Higgins game during lunch break from school (I lived 10 mins away so used to go home for lunch) and I was late for first class after lunch. My Commerce teacher, without a moment's hesitation as I walked into class said "Stuttgart, write out page 147 of the text book for me by tomorrow"!

Those of you who know me and Stuttgart junior know the significance:)

Stuttgart88
24/04/2014, 8:31 PM
A few years ago on the Ireland forum I said that if Ireland under Trap were a snooker player we'd be Cliff Thorburn. Now I think it applies to Chelsea, though maybe Cliff Thorburn on steroids.

BonnieShels
24/04/2014, 9:00 PM
The coverage on BBC was so ubiquitous that you had to watch the World's. I loved every moment of it.

Like you I went home for lunch from secondary school. That part of April was just snooker crazy in my school.

The onslaught of the internet and easy availability of other sports has killed snooker to the point that I rarely watch now as it's just not on anywhere in quite the same way.

Stuttgart88
24/04/2014, 9:23 PM
I still feel a little of the magic, but only a little.

But, as per your point, I honestly feel that the demotion of the BIG in the public admiration versus, for example, their rugby counterparts, is largely down to the instant gratification culture that the 21st century has brought in. Why bother attaching to a year+ long qualifying campaign with only a couple of glamour ties and with the odds stacked against success, or why bother watching a long drawn out battle like snooker, or a 5 day test cricket match when you can cut straight to the chase and watch the best v the best with the outcome decided on the spot?

Short form cricket is great fun, but test cricket rules. The Worlds and the UKs are snooker's best tournies, without a doubt.

CraftyToePoke
24/04/2014, 11:50 PM
When are we going to play that game Crafty? I have a 46 break to my name, albeit 28 years ago.

Loser pays for the lights Stutts, I am member of a lovely club at present, private room with three immaculate tables. Members only & all that jazz. Id bring you along but I hear if you leave the smog of London for more than an hour, you get a bit chesty. I hit a 45 a few weeks back, and played a red screwing back for black with reverse side, white came perfect for a dolly of a black only for the pocket to spit the red out after a good wobble or four. Heart breaking stuff I assure you :)

BBC coverage from Sheffield still a yearly sporting highlight for me, went there a couple of years back, saw Ding play, great day out. I am hoping it will shape up this year, it surely will, either way, I'll still be gripped by the end, always am.

Stuttgart88
25/04/2014, 6:28 AM
You'd murder me so. I haven't even lifted a cue in a decade.

CraftyToePoke
25/04/2014, 3:17 PM
McManus with 3 one visit wins in four frames so far against Doherty today. 3-1 at present.

Real ale Madrid
25/04/2014, 7:41 PM
Finished 4-3 to McManus after the first session. Doherty can hardly play any worse - McManus should be 6-1 up. An improvement for Ken tomorrow and he's in with a great chance.

Ronnie O'Sullivan 9-7 down against Joe Perry going into thier final Sesh tomorrow.

geysir
26/04/2014, 8:10 PM
It's 11-8 now, Ken was handed that 19th frame from the jaws of a McManus victory. McManus keeps handing him frames and Ken keeps giving them back, until McManus just scuttles himself.
Pity that Ken hasn't got his old quality to wipe McManus on the carpet for his mistakes. I hope he digs deep and gets through.

Real ale Madrid
26/04/2014, 9:51 PM
Can't quite believe how bad a match that was - Ken was brutal 13-2 would have been fair.

geysir
27/04/2014, 10:44 AM
Ken could have lost 13-2 but McManus didn't come close to deserving a 13-2 win.

bennocelt
27/04/2014, 11:19 AM
Can't quite believe how bad a match that was - Ken was brutal 13-2 would have been fair.

In one way though it was kind of entertaining, looked like pub players in the crucible

CraftyToePoke
28/04/2014, 2:03 PM
Neil Roberston ended Irish interest earlier with victory over Mark Allen, and in doing so moved onto 99 centuries for the season, to put that in perspective, the guy closest to that is Judd Trump on 63 a few seasons back, quite a display of break building. That last century required is eluding him a little, as he missed a half ball cut back black on 94 for it in the second last frame, and a red along the black cushion in the final frame while also in the 90's and he said post match he really wanted it today as Hendry was commentating, on the session. He has another best of 25 match to come, at least, so he is going to get chances, would be lovely to see him do it.

Parrot acknowledged the early tournament standard had taken criticism on the transmission, but said its starting to shape up now with several big guns starting to string one frame visits together.

CraftyToePoke
30/04/2014, 10:58 PM
Roberston this evening hit his 100th century break of the season, seemed to hang over him for a couple of sessions, being on 99 but fair play to him, some achievement.

Real ale Madrid
02/05/2014, 12:55 PM
Semi Finals ongoing; O'Sullivan leading Hawkins 11-5 ( could win with a session to spare tonight ). Mark Selby leads Neil Robertson 5-3. Robertson got a tough aul draw considering he is world no.1 . They play another session today and 2 tomorrow - could go all the way to the wire.

culloty82
05/05/2014, 5:57 PM
After what appeared set for an early conclusion, when O'Sullivan led 10-5, looks like we have a real Crucible classic in prospect! Selby won six frames on the trot to take the lead, and though Ronnie levelled, he missed a simple pink in the last, allowing "The Jester from Leicester" to move ahead. With a potential 12 frames remaining, it'll be a surprise if it concludes before midnight.

CraftyToePoke
05/05/2014, 6:04 PM
O'Sullivan has never before been behind going into a final session of a final in Sheffield it seems. Must watch stuff ahead here for the evening.

swinfordfc
05/05/2014, 8:36 PM
15-14 now .....

CraftyToePoke
05/05/2014, 9:23 PM
Selby, and deservedly so. He found a way to win Vs O'Sullivan. And to be fair O'Sullivan was graceful in his speech afterward also in respect of it.

bennocelt
06/05/2014, 2:21 AM
If I was cynical....losing a game that he was in total control........:p

swinfordfc
06/05/2014, 2:45 PM
New rankings for the irish next year starting of next season - 9 Mark Allen, 31 Fergal O'Brien, 33 Ken Doherty, 44 Gerald Greene, 71 David Morris and 94 Joe Swail - think this is based on money now

CraftyToePoke
26/05/2014, 2:01 AM
Ali Carter facing cancer for a second time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/27555474

Real ale Madrid
29/11/2014, 7:22 PM
Big win today for David Morris! Beat Mark Selby WR1 6-4 - into the last 32 of UK championship. Great win.

swinfordfc
30/11/2014, 10:47 AM
Big win today for David Morris! Beat Mark Selby WR1 6-4 - into the last 32 of UK championship. Great win.

A serious win for him - great news