PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town statement regarding Roddy Collins

ATFC-1887
15/11/2013, 9:57 AM
http://athlonetownfc.ie/club-statement/

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 10:28 AM
Interesting but ever so slightly inaccurate, and I can prove that if I have to.
Roddy certainly DID meet with the chairman apart from the dates mentioned, I can state when where and even the precise time.

Mr A
15/11/2013, 10:30 AM
OK- let's be having the proof then and an exact statement of what isn't accurate about it. Can't be doing with this innuendo.

A face
15/11/2013, 10:32 AM
“The club is disappointed with the recent decision of Roddy Collins and his expression of being no longer interested in the managerial position for Athlone Town A.F.C. for the forthcoming 2014 season.
It was hoped by the committee that Roddy would remain on for at least a further year but he took the club by surprise in requesting his P45 and Letter of Severance before the final game of the season. Thereafter, clarification was sought as to the intentions of Roddy and at which time the Chairman was informed that all future discussions and negotiations were to be conducted through Roddy’s agent, Brian Delahunty, of Delahunty Solicitors, Dublin. His email address was forwarded to the Chairman by Roddy on the 21st October, 2013. Same requested details be forwarded to his agent and when a request was made as to what details were to be forwarded, it was made clear to Roddy that the club will not discuss or send details of its budgets or any other matters pertaining to football to any third parties. Roddy was advised that the club would engage with his agent to discuss his personal terms if he so choose.

Prior to the end of the season and with approximately six weeks remaining of the 2013 campaign Roddy was requested to put his visions for the club going forward as a premier club to the Chairman for consideration by the Committee but he ultimately failed to do so on a number of occasions. His budgetary expectations were requested and at no time after the end of the season did he or his agent make contact with the club for the purpose of bringing matters to a conclusion. Further, in light of the fact that Roddy was linked in the media to a number of managerial vacancies same led to our belief that there was an unwillingness or an inability on the part of Roddy to commit to the club.

A meeting took place between the respective parties in the Spa Hotel, Dublin, on Monday the 4th of November, against a background of knowledge that Roddy had met with representatives of Sligo Rovers and Derry City on the back of his already expressed interest in the Cork City vacancy. The concerns of the club were outlined to him and at all times, it was known by him that he was never to be a candidate as the job was his if he wanted it subject to agreement on a number of matters including player ratios and budget. It was against this ground that Roddy at that meeting was informed that the club would have to engage in a process of inviting expressions of interest for the managerial position and prior to any such action being taken, it was hoped a commitment would be forthcoming however thereafter, he didn’t engage or commit. Roddy throughout this process retained our club phone and did so until after his decision to withdraw and same is clearly indicative of the club’s hope and aspirations that a deal could be arrived at.

We thank Roddy and his team for the hard work, the achievements, and the bringing of the first division title to Athlone in what was truly a great season for all concerned and we wish him well in his future endeavours. Roddy will always be regarded as a friend of Athlone and will always remain dear to the hearts of our supporters.
John Hayden
Chairman
A.T.A.F.C.”

Either Brian Delahunty and/or Roddy Collins made the decisions here and they surfer the consequences of them. This renders him the same and Sean Connors in my mind, no club no matter how desperate could touch him now.

A face
15/11/2013, 10:39 AM
Roddy certainly DID meet with the chairman apart from the dates mentioned, I can state when where and even the precise time.

But what was the nature of those meetings? Sure even if he was reiterating what was the clubs positions or their concerns, the statement is still valid and even more so with those extra meetings having been highlighted. Brian/Roddy had ample opportunity to express interest in the position, even if he wasn't interested. He could have fobbed off Athlone for a time, while applying for other jobs. He didn't do that, he distanced himself even with approaches from Athlone.

From what i can see Athlone acted very professionally in my mind.

Edit: Watch this space (http://athlonetownfc.ie/club-update/)

White Horse
15/11/2013, 10:47 AM
What is the point in making all of this public? He didn't want the job.

Cooke will do a better job anyway.

Longfordian
15/11/2013, 10:49 AM
He's been a bit slow giving back the club mobile phone. Bit like his car from Carlisle some years ago.

prince20
15/11/2013, 10:51 AM

Back it up or back off!

MiniMourinho
15/11/2013, 11:23 AM

This is the same rubiish you are berated for on the Drogs forum. I know but i wont say bull. To be honest even if you gave some sort of evidence i wouldnt believe you because of your track record!

oriel
15/11/2013, 11:43 AM

Agreed, plus both parties got what they wanted at the end of the season, Athlone got promoted, Roddy gets back into the frame for jobs and his reputation is improved a little.

Time to move on.

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 11:46 AM
All I will say is I was left waiting in his car when Roddy went and met the chairman in a hotel in Athlone, and that is not documented in that statement. This was not all that long ago either. It was after the season had finished and all.

Mr A
15/11/2013, 11:46 AM
This just shows clubs can't win- DUFC criticised for saying nothing, ATFC criticised for explaining what happened.

MiniMourinho
15/11/2013, 11:52 AM
All I will say is I was left waiting in his car when Roddy went and met the chairman in a hotel in Athlone, and that is not documented in that statement. This was not all that long ago either. It was after the season had finished and all.

Ah so that explains why you were so hell bent on Robbie not getting the Drogs job and discrediting him now that he has. You have personal interests in Roddy who is also looking for a job. Perfect, thanks.

Some people have actually criticised DUFC now for saying in the statement about Robbie's appointment that they admired his 'strong understanding of the finances', because it was a dig at Mick Cooke. They were criticised for saying nothing and criticised for eluding to the fact of what it may have been related to. Impossible to win!

redobit
15/11/2013, 12:17 PM

Exactly, nobody needs to know all that and it achieves nothing!!. That's the sort of statement that should be read at a Committee meeting. Stating other clubs by name and their business is also pretty unprofessional imo.

Dodge
15/11/2013, 12:26 PM
Exactly, nobody needs to know all that and it achieves nothing!!. That's the sort of statement that should be read at a Committee meeting. Stating other clubs by name and their business is also pretty unprofessional imo.
The other clubs bit is unprofessional but Roddy has been quick enough to give his, unchecked, account to anyone who'll listen including national radio sports shows.

I say fair play to Athlone for putting a stop to some of Roddy's BS.

Oh and the "I was waiting in the car while Roddy went into a meeting" post should become an all time classic here

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 12:28 PM
I had no personal interest in Roddy getting the Drogs job at all. He knew from many moons back that the current board would not have him at any price, so that was a non runner to start with.
I don't have a particular problem with Robbie Horgan getting the job, although I do have an issue with how he went about it, and the fact that I feel he should have left when Mick Cooke did, but now that he has it good luck to him, although the old adage 'Be careful what you wish for' should leap to his mind.
What I do have a problem with, and so do many other fans, is the way the board handled the situation and ended up allowing Cooke to leave.
But then again it appears that when the Drogs board look in their mirrors in the morning they see a face looking back at them that can do no wrong.

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 12:31 PM
The other clubs bit is unprofessional but Roddy has been quick enough to give his, unchecked, account to anyone who'll listen including national radio sports shows.

I say fair play to Athlone for putting a stop to some of Roddy's BS.

Oh and the "I was waiting in the car while Roddy went into a meeting" post should become an all time classic here

Nice one Dodge, it is a bit of a classic, and it is also true, I was on my way to another event with him, when a sudden detour was called for.
The McDonalds in Athlone is lovely jubbly by the way.

Strongbow10
15/11/2013, 12:38 PM
Nice one Dodge, it is a bit of a classic, and it is also true, I was on my way to another event with him, when a sudden detour was called for.
The McDonalds in Athlone is lovely jubbly by the way.

you seem to actually believe your own bullsh*t aswell which makes it all the more comedic.

NeverFeltBetter
15/11/2013, 12:49 PM
Best thread ever.

I applaud Athlone for refusing to just let Roddy frame his latest managerial exit like he always tries to do. I hope Cooke does a good job for them next year.

Strongbow10
15/11/2013, 12:54 PM
Interviews being held over the weekend for the new boss I believe

3 lads in the frame

A face
15/11/2013, 1:02 PM
Best thread ever.

I applaud Athlone for refusing to just let Roddy frame his latest managerial exit like he always tries to do. I hope Cooke does a good job for them next year.

Hear hear !!!

ATFC-1887
15/11/2013, 1:15 PM
Rumour has it down here that Cooke more or less has the job and will be signed tomorrow

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 1:28 PM
To paraphrase another poster, 'What are they in the frame for' ?

MiniMourinho
15/11/2013, 1:34 PM
Rumour has it down here that Cooke more or less has the job and will be signed tomorrow

Would be interested to hear what Athlone fans think of Mick Cooke as an appointment, given the recent knowledge of why Roddy was let go and the alleged* similar behind-the-scenes antics which lead to Mick being dropped by Drogs?

*You'll note i used the word 'alleged' so dont start jumping over this Keepersball.

ATFC-1887
15/11/2013, 1:36 PM
I know that myself, along with the majority of fans ive spoken to, want Cooke. Some even more so than Roddy. We will always be thankful to Roddy for how he changed our club around in such a short time. But nothing lasts forever and i would be delighted if Cooke is appointed.

Strongbow10
15/11/2013, 1:37 PM

i'd certainly have him ahead of the other 2 that are being considered, heres hoping

Cooke would be a terrific appointment

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 2:20 PM
Cooke would indeed be a terrific appointment. However hopefully the statement from your board may well have seen him suddenly get more reservations than Sitting Bull.
He's had enough trouble with his previous board.
That said he is a high quality manager and you'll be lucky to have him.

Mr A
15/11/2013, 2:25 PM
Does anyone happen to know if Roddy and Cooke share an agent? Just wondering.

Pablo
15/11/2013, 2:30 PM
Roddy met Sligo? Suprised more hasnt been made of that!?

Hardly a vote of confidence for Barraclough

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2013, 2:35 PM

Baraclough was out of contract and interesting clubs in England. They'd be neglectful not to be sounding out replacements.

centre mid
15/11/2013, 3:12 PM
Baraclough singed a new contract with Sligo today.

KeepersBall
15/11/2013, 3:22 PM
Baraclough singed a new contract with Sligo today.
He only SINGS when he's winning

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2013, 3:36 PM
Sounds like they got him for a song.

Aaron
15/11/2013, 4:23 PM
Roddy set to take Derry job aswell

Longfordian
15/11/2013, 4:29 PM
Is Jim Roddy involved with Derry these days? Could be all sorts of hilarious confusion.

nigel-harps1954
15/11/2013, 4:50 PM
Does anyone happen to know if Roddy and Cooke share an agent? Just wondering.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/135591/3231526-i+see+what+you+did+there-700x560.jpg

Aaron
15/11/2013, 6:47 PM
No not anymore

avvenalaf
15/11/2013, 7:08 PM

Regardless of the then Barraclough situation the fact that Rovers reps were even in the same town as Roddy sends shivers down my spine. Have to look into this HEADS WILL ROLL:mad:

lollymcd
15/11/2013, 8:37 PM
If there's a simple situation you'll be sure to find Roddy in there trying to complicate it.

Some days I just think the LOI is just a merry-go-round!

Fivesilver
16/11/2013, 6:00 AM
Best thread ever.

Can we just once have a thread without someone trying to squeeze in an Aztec Camera reference?