PDA

View Full Version : Striker, Forward, Attacker?

dahamsta
15/10/2004, 3:42 PM
Most eL sites seem to use "Forward", the FAI uses "Striker". Which would you use in an official context? (Alongside "Goalkeeper", "Defender" and "Midfielder". Or have I got them wrong too?)

adam

Schumi
15/10/2004, 3:56 PM
I'd normally use 'Forward' I suppose.

John83
15/10/2004, 4:37 PM
I tend to use "striker" for hatchers, target men and pure goal scorers: your Gary Doherty, David Trezeguet, Pipo Inzagi, Michael Owen type, "forward" for more rounded players in that position: your Bergkamps, Robbie Keanes, and Allesandro Del Pieros. "Attackers" is a fairly general term. Sometimes I'll use it in place of one of the other two, or sometimes I'll lump in out and out wingers and attacking mids: your Duffs and Zidanes.

It's all pretty arbitrary, and no doubt Championship Manager's distinction between ST and FOR has come to influence my vocabulary.

jofyisgod
15/10/2004, 9:03 PM
It's all pretty arbitrary, and no doubt Championship Manager's distinction between ST and FOR has come to influence my vocabulary.

Same here. i.e. Henry is a striker, as is John O'Flynn or Van Nistelrooy.
Bergkamp, Owen, Rooney are forwards.

Each to their own, i guess. Interesting question though.

dahamsta
16/10/2004, 12:10 AM
Interesting indeed. But imagine that you had to choose between one or the other. Which one would you use "officially"? I'm looking for "the consensus of the people" here like, not The Rule Of UEFA. Which would you prefer for ALL forwards/strikers/attackers.

(I know it's a ridiculous question when you get right down to it, but such is the life of the wannabe statistician.)

adam

gustavo
16/10/2004, 12:15 AM
well i would use forward striker sounds a bit unoffical thats just me though btw jofyisgod i would have owen down as the archetypal striker ie he is basically in the team to score goals a forward would have more input into the build up side of things

thecorner
16/10/2004, 6:09 AM
strange to see dahamsta starting a topic

but enough of that

i tend to use the term striker

KR's Post
16/10/2004, 9:44 AM
Who are the frontmen tonight, thats what im always asked!!!! Forward would be my choice.. :)

Slash/ED
16/10/2004, 5:32 PM
Same here. i.e. Henry is a striker

Funny that, I would have said Henry is the perfect example of a forward rather than a striker :D