PDA

View Full Version : How can The League expect to be taken seriously...........

avvenalaf
04/11/2013, 12:36 AM
............when a certifiable lunatic like Pat Dolan is allowed to infest out television with 'analysis' which is , quite clearly, making his co-analysts despair.

NeverFeltBetter
04/11/2013, 12:57 AM
TV stations employ people deemed moronic by the masses all the time, everywhere, as part of football programming. For every Gary Neville there are 10 Michael Owen's.

galwayhoop
04/11/2013, 2:36 AM
............when a certifiable lunatic like Pat Dolan is allowed to infest out television with 'analysis' which is , quite clearly, making his co-analysts despair.
I actually think he is severely depressed (or worse) the last two times I've seen him in TV. He is usually bubblier (is that a word??) and while OTT at times in his over elaborate analysis he is generally positive.

Not recently though, he has got very dark and even negative.

I'm not joking, I think he is in a bad place at present.

White Horse
04/11/2013, 8:31 AM
His comments on the final were ridiculous.

Drogheda are one of the poorest supported clubs in the country so an attendance of 17,000 is respectable.

desaintsno.12
04/11/2013, 8:42 AM
I actually think he is severely depressed (or worse) the last two times I've seen him in TV. He is usually bubblier (is that a word??) and while OTT at times in his over elaborate analysis he is generally positive.

Not recently though, he has got very dark and even negative.

I'm not joking, I think he is in a bad place at present.

i was thinking similar yesterday. he has a very different tone the last three times i've seen him on the box.

A face
04/11/2013, 9:03 AM

Didn't get to see it, gonna have a look on here now (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/)

When was it, start, middle or end ??

ArdeeBhoy
04/11/2013, 9:38 AM
Drogheda are one of the poorest supported clubs in the country so an attendance of 17,000 is respectable.

Are they?
Hardly Salthill or even U.C.D.

OwlsFan
04/11/2013, 9:44 AM
Yes he was totally negative but possibly attempting to be the antithesis of Sky. It was a shame to hear it when there was so much positive about the match.

A face
04/11/2013, 10:13 AM
Yes he was totally negative but possibly attempting to be the antithesis of Sky. It was a shame to hear it when there was so much positive about the match.

Agreed, the wrong platform, the wrong time, but the message is worth conveying. I suppose it needs to be said on a League Preview Show, or MNS or even an ExtraTime.ie podcast or something, but not at the conclusion of the FAI Cup Final.

oriel
04/11/2013, 10:15 AM
Are they?
Hardly Salthill or even U.C.D.

Possibly White Horse meant 'one of the poorest supported clubs to have had a chance of making the final.

Agree on Dolan, seems to be on a depressing downward spiral of comments lately, what happened to his previous form when you could expect and even hear him say something this after such a brilliant game.

'Cup final, 2 teams going for it, end to end, late goals, another hotly disputed decision from the ref, a late equaliser, then an even later winner..................MARVELOUS'

Come on Pat, cheer up big man, its not all bad.

White Horse
04/11/2013, 10:28 AM
Possibly White Horse meant 'one of the poorest supported clubs to have had a chance of making the final.

Yes, that is what I meant.

When the final was announced I thought it would struggle to attract 15,000. So 17,500 was pretty decent in the circumstances. It wasn't the disaster that Dolan was making it out to be.

A face
04/11/2013, 10:41 AM
Maybe he was using the platform, knowing the final would have a big viewing audience, i dunno, it was over the top alright, or at least he should have left it for another occasion.

avvenalaf
04/11/2013, 10:47 AM
Didn't get to see it, gonna have a look on here now (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/)

When was it, start, middle or end ??

Where is the start, middle or end of Dolan.

ArdeeBhoy
04/11/2013, 11:18 AM

Ok, but even that makes limited sense. Based on the regular LOI attendances list, are they really that bad?

Macy
04/11/2013, 11:45 AM
imo the FAI is killing the league, and the league voting to go under the control of the FAI (in hindsight) has been a disaster, but the League and FAI have no control who RTE pick as pundits.

Jofspring
04/11/2013, 9:07 PM
Ok, but even that makes limited sense. Based on the regular LOI attendances list, are they really that bad?

Well when you consider how well they did last season and the fact they made 3 cup finals then ya an 817 average would be considered bad. Only UCD have a lower average in the premier.

I'd say from the premier Dundalk, Shams, St.Pats, Derry, Cork and Limerick (granted its very hard to know with us) would most likely have brought more to a final than Drogheda.

White Horse
04/11/2013, 9:08 PM
Well when you consider how well they did last season and the fact they made 3 cup finals then ya an 817 average would be considered bad. Only UCD have a lower average in the premier.

I'd say from the premier Dundalk, Shams, St.Pats, Derry, Cork and Limerick (granted its very hard to know with us) would most likely have brought more to a final than Drogheda.

Bohs too.

Bray Head
05/11/2013, 12:30 PM
Over 17,500 at cup final is not too bad.
Can't understand why season ticket holders in top tiers were not moved to lower tiers as per last year. At least it looks better on TV if only the lower and premium levels are seen on TV.

Trainee
05/11/2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQBvI7Dlgp0

nigel-harps1954
06/11/2013, 1:59 AM

Seen this earlier alright. Fantastic to see such a thing highlighted at government level, but I fear it'll go largely unnoticed.

galwayhoop
06/11/2013, 6:14 AM
Seen this earlier alright. Fantastic to see such a thing highlighted at government level, but I fear it'll go largely unnoticed.
The pedant in me wants to say it isn't Government level...

nigel-harps1954
06/11/2013, 8:41 AM

Well, I was going to say 'the powers that be', but that would be miles wide of the mark.

Mr A
06/11/2013, 10:04 AM
Not sure what his point was but it seems to be that the FAI should spend it's money on the LOI rather than the senior team. And while I would agree that it would be in the FAI's own interest to pay much more attention to the league, ultimately it is the senior team that pays for pretty much everything else in Irish Football so investing there makes sense. Whether you agree on how their portion of that investment has been allocated is a different matter.

And while the players may be on the dole now after all the entertainment they provided over the year- the volunteers that keep Irish football going for the love of football, club and community get no respite.

A face
06/11/2013, 10:13 AM

Love it !!!!

CuanaD
06/11/2013, 1:23 PM

Mark's a good lad, & as the family name suggests, he's well up in FF - if he's talking like this, it means a good few of his constituents (I know Senators don't have a constituency, but he'll still be working an area in the hope of standing for the Dail) have been highlighting this to him - that's a good sign

Straightstory
06/11/2013, 3:34 PM

Yes, well done McSharry. (However, Senator Norris behind him seems to be taking little interest...)