PDA

View Full Version : Dream shattered for another year

Darklordsbane
02/11/2013, 7:50 AM
Absolutely pig sick we lost last night, as I know every fan from De Town is as well.
I'm not going to rant about who's fault, coulda, woulda, shoulda,
but the Chairman has a lot to answer for he was on Shannonside saying "Bray are no great shakes"
when will these guys ever learn if Shoddy is to be believed there was a statement
"I'll let you have a drink from our cup after the last game of the season"
joke slag do what you want but only after you have won.

I have given O'Brien loads of stick on here I thought he had is best game for De Town last night I cannot really give out about any player last night they all appeared to try their best but some just aren't good enough

Captain2007
02/11/2013, 8:51 AM
Hard Luck to Longford, takes two teams to make a great spectacle which we got last night, we seem to score at the right times and our experience probably got us over the line in the end. The future looks bright for Longford if Tony can add a couple more quality players to the squad for next season.

Longfordian
02/11/2013, 9:59 AM
Absolutely pig sick we lost last night, as I know every fan from De Town is as well.
I'm not going to rant about who's fault, coulda, woulda, shoulda,
but the Chairman has a lot to answer for he was on Shannonside saying "Bray are no great shakes"
when will these guys ever learn if Shoddy is to be believed there was a statement
"I'll let you have a drink from our cup after the last game of the season"
joke slag do what you want but only after you have won.

I have given O'Brien loads of stick on here I thought he had is best game for De Town last night I cannot really give out about any player last night they all appeared to try their best but some just aren't good enough
Jim Hanley was on Shannonside saying Bray were no great shakes? Doesn't sound like something he would be doing to be honest. Regardless we wouldn't have a club at all if it wasn't for him so I wouldn't go around throwing blame in his direction. We were just undone by our lack of fit defenders, we couldn't keep their forwards out.

outspoken
02/11/2013, 10:07 AM
Jim Hanley was on Shannonside saying Bray were no great shakes? Doesn't sound like something he would be doing to be honest. Regardless we wouldn't have a club at all if it wasn't for him so I wouldn't go around throwing blame in his direction. We were just undone by our lack of fit defenders, we couldn't keep their forwards out.

He did say that but so wha he was only telling the truth in relation to brays 2nd half from Monday night as longfordian said there wouldn't be a club without him. I'm so proud of the lads and it's heartbreaking that a referees decision decided the game id rather lose 5-0 than that.

Acornvilla
02/11/2013, 10:49 AM
Went home from my grad after midnight, totally couldn't be arsed when I seen the score.

Blagh.. :(

Rocky77
02/11/2013, 11:11 AM
Feel a lot like I did the day after the 2007 Cup final, just waiting for the group to disintegrate. Last night was such a game changer in terms of the entire landscape of the club I feel.

Overall though, we should have won the division and not be relying on a playoff.

Longfordian
02/11/2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah we're on a much firmer financial footing now though. The budget will be competitive again next year.

Rocky77
02/11/2013, 11:22 AM
That's true. There's just a few great lads in the squad this year and it would be nice to build something around them rather than start a couple of steps back.

IrishRossi
02/11/2013, 11:32 AM
hopefully we can manage to keep the young lads

Longfordian
02/11/2013, 11:46 AM
That's true. There's just a few great lads in the squad this year and it would be nice to build something around them rather than start a couple of steps back.

Yeah I agree but if they get better offers there's not a lot you can do about it. It'd be nice to keep as many of our important players as we can but there will have been a lot of clubs watching the play off games. Apparently a few English clubs are sniffing around Josh O'Hanlon, Peterborough in particular have been over a few times to look at him. There were a few scouts from English clubs there last night apparently. I think I saw a guy in a Sunderland coat. Someone said Man Utd were there too but don't know who they'd be looking at to be honest.

outspoken
02/11/2013, 4:12 PM
Yeah I agree but if they get better offers there's not a lot you can do about it. It'd be nice to keep as many of our important players as we can but there will have been a lot of clubs watching the play off games. Apparently a few English clubs are sniffing around Josh O'Hanlon, Peterborough in particular have been over a few times to look at him. There were a few scouts from English clubs there last night apparently. I think I saw a guy in a Sunderland coat. Someone said Man Utd were there too but don't know who they'd be looking at to be honest.

I heard today Josh is defo staying next season but if an offer like that came you'd have to wonder. I don't like to speculate on lads leaving but I do feel deep down we will lose Purdy, Connolly, Gorman and of course Sully. That would be a huge core of the squad gone and in my opinion almost impossible to recover from in just 1 season. I'm not confident at all of winning the league next year but play-offs should be easy to qualify for with Shels all amateur, same with Wexford. Galway will take time to gel but will be a huge threat, Waterford will be Waterford, Cobh will improve again and Harps would be my favorites to win it.

Keen2win
02/11/2013, 4:35 PM
Don't know how anyone can make any plausible predictions this early, this league changes so much year on year it's unbelievable.

I'd have to agree, I know everyone was saying what a big night it was, but it really was HUGE! Hard to know where we go from here!

Darklordsbane
02/11/2013, 4:45 PM
Jim Hanley was on Shannonside saying Bray were no great shakes? Doesn't sound like something he would be doing to be honest. Regardless we wouldn't have a club at all if it wasn't for him so I wouldn't go around throwing blame in his direction.

I wasn't blaming him but you don't need to be giving the opposition any more motivation

hollocaine
02/11/2013, 8:00 PM
I'm in a bad enough mood without having to log onto this and see some muppet say that Jim Hanley has a lot to answer for.

F..k off Darklordsbane with that kind of crap. You've posted enough sh!t over the past few months and started enough pointless threads, but that is a new low

Martinho II
02/11/2013, 10:09 PM
In hindsight I think Bray were the better team overall.. We never solved our problem all season of letting in goals first.. It had to catch up on us eventually. I thought Havo was very shaky last night-Marty Waters had him early. I thought Dan Purdy had his best ever game for us. Sully was very well marshalled. I felt so sorry for Chris Bennion near the end. I agree that after the aftermath of last night I think there will be a lot of changes squadwise next year.Its an awful pity we cant keep the majority of our squad.
I am gutted for all the section o lads who made a huge effort all game.. At least we won the battle of the fans over both legs.. I cant remember the last time we got over 2500 at a town game- would I be correct in thinking it would have being ten years ago in the FAI Cup Semi Final. Correct me if i am wrong!

Longfordian
02/11/2013, 10:26 PM
It was either the Drogs semi final or the league cup final the same year. I thought pre game that 1500 would be a good crowd but it goes to show what can be done when the buzz gets going.

fitzpatrick10
03/11/2013, 12:56 AM
main thing now is to try and keep as many of the players as we can, very disappointing season but i think we did well considering the amount on injuries we had! thats it...

Macy
03/11/2013, 1:15 AM
The reality is that if some players are in demand from the bigger clubs, we wouldn't be able to compete even if we did go up.

Injuries ultimately cost us through the play offs - full compliment of defenders to pick from, and salmo, I think we'd have had enough for bray.

fitzpatrick10
03/11/2013, 2:01 AM
also heres the so called foul on quinner..

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish-soccer-league/2013/1101/484128-longford-town-v-bray-wanderers/#idc-container

NeverFeltBetter
03/11/2013, 2:11 AM
That's the "foul"? He's making the most of that contact, it's fair to say.

fitzpatrick10
03/11/2013, 2:58 AM
i think the bigger call was ryan through on goal form a great ball by shaw and the ref bringing it back for the free on the half way line with it 3-2...

end of the day its over, main focus now is to try and keep the bones of the squad and push on for next year,

Bosco
03/11/2013, 12:41 PM
In fairness there still seems to be a bit of contact but Quinner's over the top reaction certainly didn't help!Sick of people constantly blaming the referees for everything anyway,these decisions even themselves out while some may seem harsher then others given the circumstances!Thought Bray were probably the better side over the two legs,particularly the first leg but in terms of the effort the lads put in we can have no complaints. A lot of people claiming we were robbed seem to be forgetting that we had to come from behind twice at home and each time Bray didn't seem to have too much trouble putting themselves ahead again straight away. In the end it was injuries in our defence that lost it for us.

Incredible feeling of disappointment at the end after pulling it back twice. It was absolutely amazing to see such a huge crowd out there again and a general buzz about the team around Town again, wouldn't be getting my hopes up about many of those people coming back next season but at least from the few who i've been talking to that came out for the first time in years, they all seemed to be very impressed with what they saw.

Hard to know what next season will bring, think everyone knew that this season was do or die in terms of holding onto the majority of the squad by going up. Wouldn't be hopeful of holding onto a lot of them and in terms of any post match interviews or tweets from the players it seems they are all ready to move on.

Cabs88
03/11/2013, 4:47 PM
Bitterly disappointed, what might have been...
Nearly everything about the club was set up for Premier football. Behind the scenes, a young, hungry squad and a genuine affinity between players and fans. I do fear we will be back to square one again next year.
As regards Bray being the better team, im not sure, I just think they were more experienced and played to their strengths. They never dropped their heads despite us clawing our way back twice and in fairness all three goals were very well taken. It was clear to see Dempsey was their danger man in Bray on Monday night but we still gave him too much time on the ball at times. Their number 9 was a thorn in our side throughout.

It has been a very disappointing weekend, for what promised so much. The buzz, anticipation and hype throughout the Town was a joy to be a part of. Section O, yet again was rocking. People talking about The Town in a positive light, was all a throwback to the Good old days.

As said above though, to be honest we should have had the league wrapped up and not rely on the Play Offs. I do think its time for a change in manage, but that's for a different argument.

Its going to be a long few months, but come February again and the Pre-Season games, Im sure hope will spring eternal.
Longford 'til I die
Keep the Faith

L.T.F.C.
03/11/2013, 11:16 PM
In hindsight I think Bray were the better team overall.. We never solved our problem all season of letting in goals first.. It had to catch up on us eventually. I thought Havo was very shaky last night-Marty Waters had him early. I thought Dan Purdy had his best ever game for us. Sully was very well marshalled. I felt so sorry for Chris Bennion near the end. I agree that after the aftermath of last night I think there will be a lot of changes squadwise next year.Its an awful pity we cant keep the majority of our squad.
I am gutted for all the section o lads who made a huge effort all game.. At least we won the battle of the fans over both legs.. I cant remember the last time we got over 2500 at a town game- would I be correct in thinking it would have being ten years ago in the FAI Cup Semi Final. Correct me if i am wrong!
Marty! The League Cup final!

RonnieB
10/11/2013, 6:11 PM
Christ, it wasn't a bad dream.

Longfordian
12/11/2013, 10:24 PM
Christ, it wasn't a bad dream.

Just to reminisce for a bit..pretty much all the goals of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDoVBgXXNlI&feature=player_embedded

L.T.F.C.
13/11/2013, 9:10 AM
Some real peaches in there. My fav is Sully's header against Mervue in July.

Longfordian
13/11/2013, 9:31 AM
That was a super header alright. He scored all types of goals. Willie Tyrell's volley was class as well.

L.T.F.C.
13/11/2013, 1:16 PM
Watching that video makes me sad.

outspoken
13/11/2013, 4:11 PM
Watching that video makes me sad.

First part of it is full of great memories but that 2nd purdy goal makes me so sad, it was a goal that I thought had put us on the way to promotion that night, how wrong.

RonnieB
13/11/2013, 5:31 PM
that it does, was great to see Purdys goal against Bray again, what a strike. If only... :(

Martinho II
13/11/2013, 9:10 PM
for some reason that roundup didnt have Sullys screamer in the Carlisle Grounds! but otherwise it is great to see some of those goals especially for the likes of me and othr town fans that missed some good goals and games! I reckon this will be shown at the dinner dance!