PDA

View Full Version : New Cork City manager

sheao
31/10/2013, 2:07 PM
It seems John Caulfield is the favourite for the Cork City job.

Mick Cooke, Martin Russell and also ex Newcastle, Norwich and West Ham manager Glenn Roeder are the names who are also strongly linked with the job.

The club expect to make an announcement hopefully tomorrow but by the end of next week at the latest.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/1031/sport/caulfield-closing-in-on-cork-city-manageraposs-job-248018.html

Dodge
31/10/2013, 3:31 PM
What's the point in appointing a man without the required badges? It's even a part of licensing FFS

CityRebel
31/10/2013, 3:38 PM
What's the point in appointing a man without the required badges? It's even a part of licensing FFS
There's no reason why he can't enroll on a course and do the Pro Licence.

Dodge
31/10/2013, 3:52 PM
There's no reason why he can't enroll on a course and do the Pro Licence.

Sure there is. Care to point me in the direction of any of these courses?

CityRebel
31/10/2013, 3:55 PM

Give the FAI a call. You'll need to have your A Licence first though.

A face
01/11/2013, 12:31 AM

One starting in Feb, rumour, not seen it posted anywhere though. Agreed though, unless he can do the Pro then its a non-runner.

nigel-harps1954
01/11/2013, 1:35 AM
One starting in Feb, rumour, not seen it posted anywhere though. Agreed though, unless he can do the Pro then its a non-runner.

Unless he comes in as Director of Football or some of that sort of nonsense ala Pat Devlin.

peterpan
01/11/2013, 8:15 AM
Can't see John taking the job, he has a very good job out in UCC coaching and head of UCC soccer, would be mad to give that up IMO

A face
01/11/2013, 12:21 PM
Can't see John taking the job, he has a very good job out in UCC coaching and head of UCC soccer, would be mad to give that up IMO

He applied for it

CityRebel
02/11/2013, 4:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZ4QxF2-o0

adamd164
03/11/2013, 9:03 AM
I think he's a good choice, he's done really well managing at Munster Senior League level, with Avondale and UCC. He'd know the best players in that league we can hoover up for a start.

He won't need long to get used to the scene either.

legendz
03/11/2013, 5:24 PM
On my first glance of the thread title, I thought it was "New York City manager"!

Nah Nah Nah Nah
04/11/2013, 11:50 AM
On my first glance of the thread title, I thought it was "New York City manager"!

Ah they're not changing their name again are they?........

oriel
05/11/2013, 9:21 AM
I think they are announcing Caulfield this am?

Imagine if Pat Morley got a role, that would be the return of the City double act from the early 90's, actually what a strike force they were, League Winners 1993.

El-Pietro
05/11/2013, 9:42 AM
Press Conference this afternoon at Silversprings Hotel.

CityRebel
05/11/2013, 10:33 AM
http://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2013/11/05/john-caulfield-announced-as-new-manager/

It's official!

El-Pietro
05/11/2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/fai-promises-to-replace-all-silgo-rovers-medals-1.1583726
Saw this line when reading the piece about the Silgo medals. Thought it was brilliant.

"It will be a popular move with the club’s supporters who have shown a tendency to turn on outsiders, especially Dubliners, when things have gone wrong in the past."

oriel
05/11/2013, 2:13 PM
I read that myself in the time, I think there was another line after it

'Although Caulfied himself is not from Cork'

Outsiders.......almost like saying 'not from around these parts'

Brilliant stuff

oriel
05/11/2013, 2:16 PM
http://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2013/11/05/john-caulfield-announced-as-new-manager/

It's official!

Terrible photo, like a headmaster in a school, could they not have done up the background a bit? Usual bottles of ballygowan at the front, and mobiles, and mikes.

Best of luck to him and to the club.

El-Pietro
05/11/2013, 2:30 PM
Terrible photo, like a headmaster in a school, could they not have done up the background a bit? Usual bottles of ballygowan at the front, and mobiles, and mikes.

Best of luck to him and to the club.
Thats not from a press conference, thats from Bishopstown.

Ezeikial
05/11/2013, 6:36 PM
The Irish Times article confirms that Caulfield will go on a FAI pro licence course starting Feb. Presumably Owen Heary will be enrolled as well, and be re-appointed at Bohs?

A face
05/11/2013, 7:30 PM
http://www.redfm.ie/shows/bigredbench/cork-city-boss-john-caulfield-full-press-conference/

da bishop
05/11/2013, 9:17 PM
certainly the logical appointment for cork,its time caulfield stepped up to the task given his success at intermediate level etc and his background in the LOI.however his interview on rte 1 news this evening was memorable for the heavy anchor he has already put on himself,his confident assertion that he will disappointed if they dont make europe leaves far less steps on the ladder.

adamd164
05/11/2013, 10:42 PM
I was just happy to see us make the 6.1 news the same day the O'Neill/Keane deal was announced!

He's preaching to the choir saying we should be looking to get Europe, and I obviously hope it happens.

gufc2000
06/11/2013, 2:43 PM
certainly the logical appointment for cork,its time caulfield stepped up to the task given his success at intermediate level etc and his background in the LOI.however his interview on rte 1 news this evening was memorable for the heavy anchor he has already put on himself,his confident assertion that he will disappointed if they dont make europe leaves far less steps on the ladder.
Were Cork not fans not already ticked off that that they hadn't been challenging for Europe this year? He's only saying what most Cork fans will expect.

bluewhitearmy
06/11/2013, 3:42 PM
Were Cork not fans not already ticked off that that they hadn't been challenging for Europe this year? He's only saying what most Cork will expect.

Ridiculous if they were they never had a squad for it this season.

El-Pietro
06/11/2013, 5:01 PM
Ridiculous if they were they never had a squad for it this season.
perhaps, but we picked up enough points in the last 10 games of the season (after Ashton took over) that when spread over the course of a 33 game season would have been enough to win the league. A lot of that is down to Kilduff but we expected more from the players who came in over the Winter.

I'm also aware that a 10 game streak of form means little on it's own, and theres no way we could have kept that form up over 33 games, plus our win over Pats on the final day had a lot to do with the fact that they were in celebration mode.

bluewhitearmy
06/11/2013, 5:20 PM
perhaps, but we picked up enough points in the last 10 games of the season (after Ashton took over) that when spread over the course of a 33 game season would have been enough to win the league. A lot of that is down to Kilduff but we expected more from the players who came in over the Winter.

I'm also aware that a 10 game streak of form means little on it's own, and theres no way we could have kept that form up over 33 games, plus our win over Pats on the final day had a lot to do with the fact that they were in celebration mode.

I think like our few wins in row near the end of the season your run could have been down to playing without pressure as near the end of the season neither of us had anything really to play for.
If stories turn out to be true about the loss of the Morrisseys, Kilduff not coming back and Duggan going to us that leaves Caulfield with a big enough rebuild and that is without knowing if Horgan will still be there or not.

Tbh the only ones i remember ye bringing in were Kavanagh and Furlong and i said at the start of last season they wouldn't score enough to push ye on.

I think ourselves and yourselves have a massive job to be anywhere near Europe next season too.

Pablo Escobar
07/11/2013, 12:25 PM
I think like our few wins in row near the end of the season your run could have been down to playing without pressure as near the end of the season neither of us had anything really to play for.
If stories turn out to be true about the loss of the Morrisseys, Kilduff not coming back and Duggan going to us that leaves Caulfield with a big enough rebuild and that is without knowing if Horgan will still be there or not.

Tbh the only ones i remember ye bringing in were Kavanagh and Furlong and i said at the start of last season they wouldn't score enough to push ye on.

I think ourselves and yourselves have a massive job to be anywhere near Europe next season too.

You don't play for this club without pressure. The vultures are always circling. I agree on Kavanagh and Furlong in hindsight, but it could have gone either way. Furlong turned out to be a dud and Kavanagh was incorrectly employed. We placed a lot of weight youth towards the end of the season and it paid off. I'd like to see us show faith in the youth system as we still have some super players coming through who can and will step up to the mark if given a chance. It's tough to say we'll finish with a European spot next year as we don't know our squad yet, but the pressure is now on Caulfield to put something together. It'll be interesting if nothing else.