PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Friday, November 15th 2013 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

back of the net
31/10/2013, 1:38 PM
Errmmmmm.......

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/1031/483816-latvia-friendly-confirmed-by-fai/

Grafter
31/10/2013, 2:40 PM
Is it really 18 years since we played them last... there was a time when we couldn't avoid them. I recall the George Hamilton line "The Latvians should build a statue of John Aldridge in the centre of Riga just so they can throw things at it!" For the kids out there, Uncle Aldo was of course the scourge of Latvian football in the 90's....

Paddy Garcia
31/10/2013, 2:49 PM
A new high .........

back of the net
31/10/2013, 3:20 PM
A new high .........

it sure is ....think the Latvian supporters will be a bit dissappointed though

Yard of Pace
31/10/2013, 4:30 PM
Is it really 18 years since we played them last... there was a time when we couldn't avoid them. I recall the George Hamilton line "The Latvians should build a statue of John Aldridge in the centre of Riga just so they can throw things at it!" For the kids out there, Uncle Aldo was of course the scourge of Latvian football in the 90's....

Classic George ;) He's a marvel.

I presume they'll do an FAI Cup Final job on this and make tickets a tenner and a fiver for kids.

Stuttgart88
31/10/2013, 4:47 PM
Is this a precursor the the glamorous UEFA international league thingy?

back of the net
31/10/2013, 4:53 PM
Is this a precursor the the glamorous UEFA international league thingy?

in the sense that we will be playing more lower seeded teams and thus lower attendances?

geysir
31/10/2013, 4:56 PM
Did Slovenia turn us down in favour of a game with Canada?

Stuttgart88
31/10/2013, 5:15 PM
in the sense that we will be playing more lower seeded teams and thus lower attendances?

Yep..

DannyInvincible
31/10/2013, 6:09 PM
Did Slovenia turn us down in favour of a game with Canada?

Wasn't there talk of a friendly against Hungary being organised for this date?

back of the net
31/10/2013, 10:15 PM
Wasn't there talk of a friendly against Hungary being organised for this date?

Never heard hungary mentioned but it seemed there was a Slovenia friendly nailed on for this date

OwlsFan
01/11/2013, 9:56 AM
Catch 22 for the FAI. They can't risk agreeing to the large amounts of money bigger countries demand because they don't know what sort of attendance will turn up no matter who we are playing (except perhaps England). We used to have a full house every game once upon a time and there was a large waiting list to become a block booker (imagine that) so we could afford to meet the bigger teams' demands.

Now it's little old Latvia but like the Poles (but not quite as many) there are many Latvians in this country so there should be a sizable attendance at the game - not sure how many will be Irish though.

Stuttgart88
01/11/2013, 11:05 AM
Why don't we just play Poland again? Home and away, like a WC playoff. Get Carling to donate a cup.

ArdeeBhoy
01/11/2013, 11:06 AM
Even Hungary and Slovenia aren't desperate enough to play us...

Seriously, Lithuania might have made more sense. Aren't they the second highest minority after the Poles on the island?

ArdeeBhoy
01/11/2013, 11:08 AM
Why don't we just play Poland again? Home and away, like a WC playoff. Get Carling to donate a cup.

Tyskie, surely....

Stuttgart88
01/11/2013, 11:11 AM
I couldn't remember what it was called!

back of the net
01/11/2013, 11:29 AM
Catch 22 for the FAI. They can't risk agreeing to the large amounts of money bigger countries demand because they don't know what sort of attendance will turn up no matter who we are playing (except perhaps England). We used to have a full house every game once upon a time and there was a large waiting list to become a block booker (imagine that) so we could afford to meet the bigger teams' demands.

Now it's little old Latvia but like the Poles (but not quite as many) there are many Latvians in this country so there should be a sizable attendance at the game - not sure how many will be Irish though.

Anybody have a figure on the latvian population in Ireland? Checked and saw that it has risen considerably but couldnt find a figure?

Presuming the game will be played in lansdowne Road - but cant see anymore than 20k turning up , even with a new manager in place.

Whats the cost of running a stadium on a match night? How financially viable is this game though nevermind anything else

Serb
01/11/2013, 11:40 AM
Remember Steve Staunton's first game in charge vs Sweden? 48,000 people turned up to see him that day. Then we lost the next four games in a row including 5-2 to Cyprus, but let's not talk about that. It's likely to be Mick McCarthy in charge in two weeks time. Maybe the nostalgia will bring the crowds flooding back?

back of the net
01/11/2013, 11:44 AM
Remember Steve Staunton's first game in charge vs Sweden? 48,000 people turned up to see him that day. Then we lost the next four games in a row including 5-2 to Cyprus, but let's not talk about that.

Serb - what does that have to do with anything?

DeLorean
01/11/2013, 11:53 AM
Serb, you really need to check out the headlines if you think it's going to be McCarthy in charge.

Serb
01/11/2013, 12:01 PM
Serb - what does that have to do with anything?

Sorry, wasn't clear enough — point being that a new manager (and maybe a new sense of hope) might bring more people than usual to the first game in charge.

Serb, you really need to check out the headlines if you think it's going to be McCarthy in charge.

Read the headlines. Didn't believe them to be honest, but we'll see.

DeLorean
01/11/2013, 12:04 PM
Read the headlines. Didn't believe them to be honest, but we'll see.

Fair enough, my bad.

9/1 for Mac... get on it :)

Serb
01/11/2013, 12:08 PM
Fair enough, my bad.

9/1 for Mac... get on it :)

Yeah, seems like at 1/9 it must be a done deal at this stage for O'Neill. I originally reckoned he'd take Crystal Palace.

tricky_colour
02/11/2013, 1:35 AM
Should be a good match both teams at their lowest ranking since records began.

Should be billed "The frantic race to the bottom of the Rankings Table".

tetsujin1979
06/11/2013, 5:55 PM
Squad announced: http://www.fai.ie/international/senior-men/103662-squad-named-to-face-latvia-and-poland.html

geysir
06/11/2013, 6:16 PM
Welcome back Wardy,
but sadly no room for his partner at Brighton, Keith Andrews, maybe Quinn has his place.
Meyler still on the outskirts of the squad.

paul_oshea
06/11/2013, 6:37 PM
Welcome back?

No thanks i assume it will be trimmed.

DannyInvincible
06/11/2013, 10:45 PM
I see Richard Dunne is to stay at QPR for rest as he continues to recover from his groin injury.

So, Alex Pearce is back in the fold but no place for McShane and Delaney in a 27-man selection either? King mustn't have been impressed with the late Delaney. Maybe Roy had a say in that!

Stuttgart88
07/11/2013, 9:25 AM
Delaney is out for "fitness reasons" according to the Indo.

IsMiseSean
07/11/2013, 4:01 PM
A bit harsh on McShane, just broke into the Hull team...

the doc
08/11/2013, 12:58 PM
A bit harsh on McShane, just broke into the Hull team...

I agree always gives 100%

youngirish
08/11/2013, 1:56 PM
I agree always gives 100%
I would give 100% also (giving 110% is a mathematical impossibility) so can I be in the squad? Admittedly I'd not be as fit as McShane but I'm quicker on my toes and a bit more skillful though overall I'm equally as rubbish.

geysir
08/11/2013, 2:13 PM
Nah, Young Irish you're just rubbish, not an equal.

Bruce is well pleased by McShane.
“Our spirit is epitomised by Paul. Of course we’ve got four Irishmen that stick together and you need that spirit. There’s going to be times when we find it tough in this league and you need people with the character of Paul.“You need that running through your squad, to enjoy the challenge of being a Premier League footballer. Paul, along with Boyd, Quinn, Rosenior, they’ve all got the bit between their teeth and enjoying it.”
Super Paul McShane (http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Southampton-v-Hull-City-Super-Paul-McShane-trains/story-20053451-detail/story.html)

back of the net
08/11/2013, 8:24 PM
Nah, Young Irish you're just rubbish, not an equal.

Bruce is well pleased by McShane.
“Our spirit is epitomised by Paul. Of course we’ve got four Irishmen that stick together and you need that spirit. There’s going to be times when we find it tough in this league and you need people with the character of Paul.“You need that running through your squad, to enjoy the challenge of being a Premier League footballer. Paul, along with Boyd, Quinn, Rosenior, they’ve all got the bit between their teeth and enjoying it.”
Super Paul McShane (http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Southampton-v-Hull-City-Super-Paul-McShane-trains/story-20053451-detail/story.html)

Fair play to the lad - delighted to see him getting game time

Sure he is prone to error , as are numerous other defenders in the championship and premier league- but he most certainly is not a rubbish player and the stick he gets at times is ridiculously over the top

back of the net
09/11/2013, 1:48 PM
The Lads on Sky Sports New - Soccer Saturday singing McShanes praises - Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson very complimentary of him

tetsujin1979
09/11/2013, 2:06 PM
Richard Dunne off injured at half time for QPR against Reading

ArdeeBhoy
09/11/2013, 2:29 PM
Aye, but this game's about finding replacements for the likes of Dunne...
Will he even be still playing international football in 10 months time?

back of the net
09/11/2013, 4:18 PM
Shane long just equalized for wba against chelsea

paul_oshea
09/11/2013, 5:10 PM
Anyone think s reid might come back?

SwanVsDalton
09/11/2013, 5:24 PM
Roy Keane made Villa Park his first official scouting duty (http://thescore.thejournal.ie/roy-keane-villa-park-ciaran-clark-1168340-Nov2013/), checking out Ciaran Clark.

Closed Account
09/11/2013, 5:30 PM
Squad Watch
Forde
Kelly/Coleman Clark O'Shea Ward
Pilkington McCarthy Reid McGeady
Keane Long/Walters

David Forde

Started

Rob Elliot
Substitute
Unused

Keiren Westwood
Substitute
Unused

Stephen Kelly
Started

Ciaran Clark
Started
Clean Sheet

Stephen Ward
Started
Clean Sheet

Seamus Coleman
Started
Clean Sheet

John O’Shea
Started

Marc Wilson
Substitute

Joey O’Brien
Substitute
Unused

Alex Pearce
Substitute
Unused

Sean St Ledger
Not in Squad

James McCarthy
Started

Andy Reid
Started

Anthony Pilkington
Started

Aiden McGeady
Started
Sub(87 min)

Glenn Whelan
Substitute

Stephen Quinn
Substitute
10 min

Wes Hoolahan
Substitute
Unused

Paul Green
Substitute
Unused

James McClean
Not in Squad

Robbie Brady
Not in Squad

Shane Long
Started

Goal Sub(79 min)

Robbie Keane
Started

Jon Walters
Started

Kevin Doyle
Substitute
30 min

Anthony Stokes
Substitute
19 min

Paddy Garcia
10/11/2013, 4:24 PM
Clark & Brady out

SolitudeRed
10/11/2013, 7:55 PM
Anyone know if Keane was watching the Stoke game today? two Irish players got on the score sheet first Walters and then 'Mr will he? won't he?' Stephen Ireland maybe he's finding a bit of form again.

back of the net
10/11/2013, 11:09 PM
Ah F*cking hell........just read that Nadia Forde has been lined up to massacre our national anthem again before the Latvia Game......blody infuriatng

paul_oshea
10/11/2013, 11:56 PM
Is delaney still trying to get the leg over

IsMiseSean
11/11/2013, 3:59 PM
God loves a tryer...

EAFC_rdfl
11/11/2013, 4:13 PM
Roy Keane made Villa Park his first official scouting duty (http://thescore.thejournal.ie/roy-keane-villa-park-ciaran-clark-1168340-Nov2013/), checking out Ciaran Clark.

Is that Wim Jansen sitting next to him?

BonnieShels
11/11/2013, 4:20 PM
Hmm... Don Givens alert! :O

Stuttgart88
11/11/2013, 6:06 PM
Is that Wim Jansen sitting next to him?Yes, I think it is. The man who took Henrik Larsson to Celtic. Larsson didn't impress me in the 1994 World Cup even though they did really well. I thought that to carry off such a silly haircut you'd need to be seriously good and I thought he was ordinary at best . When he gave the ball away costing Celtic a goal on his debut away to Hibs (I think) I emailed my mate and said "I told you Larsson is rubbish". That's why I'm not a scout and Wim is.

geysir
11/11/2013, 7:15 PM
Thats desperate Stutts, Larsson was a standout at WC94 but so too was Brolin ;)