PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane should be reinstated as captain

lodge2000
14/10/2004, 2:51 PM
Its clear for all to see that Roy is the best player on the Ireland team. His passion was shown in yesterdays and saturdays match. Why wasnt Kevin Cunningham interviewed after the match? I think Cunningham is a great player but Keane as captain would give that extra lift to the Ireland unit. I think its high time we forgave and forgot.

Peadar
14/10/2004, 2:53 PM
I think Cunningham is a great player but Keane as captain would give that extra lift to the Ireland unit. .

You think that Keane needs an armband to be a leader?
You think that our solid back four has nothing to do with the brilliant leadership of Kenny?
Kenny is a very articulate man with a great knowledge and understanding of the game. He is the captain by right and there's no legitimate reason to change that.

Bondvillain
14/10/2004, 2:54 PM
Its clear for all to see that Roy is the best player on the Ireland team. His passion was shown in yesterdays and saturdays match. Why wasnt Kevin Cunningham interviewed after the match? I think Cunningham is a great player but Keane as captain would give that extra lift to the Ireland unit. I think its high time we forgave and forgot.

I DEMAND THAT KEVIN CUNNINGHAM BE GIVEN THE RIGHT TO REPLY!

:D

blobbyblob
14/10/2004, 3:08 PM
I DEMAND THAT KEVIN CUNNINGHAM BE GIVEN THE RIGHT TO REPLY!

:D

One for the future by all accounts

joeSoap
14/10/2004, 3:09 PM
I think it was pretty evident to all just who was calling the shots last night....and it wasn't Kenny Cunningham.
An armband means nothing.....Keano is the man!!

Lionel Ritchie
14/10/2004, 3:12 PM
...you've already forgotten ...the captains name! ;)

Colm55
14/10/2004, 3:23 PM
I'll agree here that Kenny is just the captain on paper and that keano is probably calling the shots, i can recall the morning of keanos comeback against Romania ? ? Kenny was being interviewed and when asked if he would bark a few orders at keane he laughed and said he'd see what happens ! ! I like Kenny as a captain though, he seems down to earth and always gives his all, but keano has that presence and most teams we'll face will be more scared of keano than kenny.

Bondvillain
14/10/2004, 3:28 PM
And they arent scared of Kevin Cunningham at all..

Colm55
14/10/2004, 3:40 PM
And they arent scared of Kevin Cunningham at all..

Whose Kevin Cunningham??

Adrianovic
14/10/2004, 3:40 PM
It's only a bloody armband, it doesn't make so much difference on the field. But off the field, few players conduct themselves as well as Kenny, he is good with the media and a role model for the younger players who come into the side and see how to handle themselves in a green shirt.

What's KC done to deserve being stripped of the captaincy?

What's Roy done to deserve it more than KC? I don't particularly like Roy Keane, and I will remember him for two of the biggest acts of treason as a footballer (accepting a 'loyalty bonus' at Forest, kissing the badge and knowing full well he was leaving in a fortnight, granted to Man U, but the principle, and the Saipan saga)... but I can live with him in an Ireland shirt, because, ultimately, we will do better with Roy in the team.

Ade

Adrianovic
14/10/2004, 3:43 PM
Whose Kevin Cunningham??

I agree with Bondvillain though, I've typed Kevin Cunningham into a google search and he doesn't look scary at all!

http://www.art-restoration.com/bam/_images/KevinCunningham.jpg

Ade

Colm55
14/10/2004, 3:58 PM
I agree with Bondvillain though, I've typed Kevin Cunningham into a google search and he doesn't look scary at all!

http://www.art-restoration.com/bam/_images/KevinCunningham.jpg

Ade

Thanks for clearing that up Ade ! ! !

zinedineontour
14/10/2004, 4:05 PM
Kenny is a great captain and certainly should not be taken off him. Fair enough he mighnt be the most vociferous but thats not all what a captain is about.. Kenny is a calming influence and seems to look out for the younger lads whereas gods gift is a bit too miserable these days for a captains role

barglee
14/10/2004, 4:17 PM
Kenny is doing fine,
maybe with kenny as captain its like having two leaders on the pitch which cant be a bad thing

WHY ARE PEOPLE CALLING HIM KEVIN !

Jerry The Saint
14/10/2004, 4:18 PM
You think that Keane needs an armband to be a leader?

Doesn't need an armband, does need a spare pair of pants however. I don't think there's any record of Cunny Kenningham having soiled himself in the middle of a match and until that changes I see no reason to remove the captaincy. :)

fosterdollar
14/10/2004, 4:20 PM
Whose Kevin Cunningham??

hehe i think he was in the wonder years or happy days or something

LadyJane
14/10/2004, 4:26 PM
In all fairness, why would rte want to interview Fonzie's ginger mate?

LadyJane
14/10/2004, 4:31 PM
WHY ARE PEOPLE CALLING HIM KEVIN !

See posts 6,4,3, and most importantly 1. Read post 1 very c...a...r...e...f...u...l...l...y...

thejollyrodger
14/10/2004, 4:46 PM
whats cunnighams proper name ?

kennith Cunningham or something ?

whatever the history Roy is the man. He is the only one to give the fellas a good kick up the hole and tell them they were all sh1te after the faroes. Which most of them up front were (lets be honest).

Glad I didnt see loads of big happy smilie faces on the telly interview after a brutal result like that.

keeeeeenooooooooo

Robinski
14/10/2004, 5:10 PM
On the FAIreland site yesterday you could watch the press conference with Brian Kerr and Roy Keane. The little paragraph that lets you 'read more' when you click on the link began:

'Republic of Ireland skipper Roy Keane faced the press. . . '

I think it was up there for about an hour, because I went back to check on it a couple of times. Just before 6pm it was changed to:

'Republic of Ireland midfielder skipper Roy Keane faced the press. . . '

Freudian slip?

on_me_head_son
15/10/2004, 6:52 AM
In all fairness, why would rte want to interview Fonzie's ginger mate?

:D :D :D :D

tonycuna
16/10/2004, 7:55 PM
I think Roy is our real captain, for what he mean from his career, and for its presence on the pitch.
But I know that he has lost that piece of cloth, "thanks" to Mick McCarthy :(

Now the captain is Kenny, and I think is right that he could retain tha armband, although if I think about Ireland, I think about Roy as skipper.

But in the end, I like very much Kenny for his way to stay on the pitch, and how he can drive our back line.
And I think that Roy, with or without an armband on his left arm, will be always a leader for us.

So Kenny as our skipper, Roy as leader in the mid. Probably that's one of the reasons of our good start in the qualif group.

:)

brine3
17/10/2004, 12:59 AM
Now all we need is somebody to lead from the front.

Éanna
17/10/2004, 3:08 PM
Cunningham has been an excellent captain and has never let his country down. Keane is a very good player, WAS a very good captain and does lead on the pitch. Keane doesn't need to armband and he doesn't deserve it either

green goblin
19/10/2004, 9:00 AM
It seems to be working with Keith Cunningham wearing the armband. A player of Keano's ability, passion and experience can only raise the level of the game, and the way he drives the lads on is still a joy to see.
He doesn't need to be captain to do that, and Keiran Cunningham seems to be doing the job well enough. Maybe. Unlike chancers like Zak "Who the f**k??"" Knight, Keano's desperate to see Ireland win, as is Karl Cunningham, I'm sure.

carnstien
19/10/2004, 10:54 AM
This thread is bullsh!t. Whether or not Roy Keane is captain, his contribution will be no different, same goes for Cunningham. Who wears the armband is meaningless.

BaZmO*
19/10/2004, 12:21 PM
This thread is bullsh!t. Whether or not Roy Keane is captain, his contribution will be no different, same goes for Cunningham. Who wears the armband is meaningless.

Agreed. And if Keane was to be given the captaincy again all it would serve to do is to create a media frenzy which would not be good for the team as a whole. What's done is done so leave it well alone!

B.

onenilgameover
05/11/2004, 8:48 PM
Rock the boat don't rock the boat baby! No chance NO TO THE TRAITOR!