PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Wave

Pages : [1] 2

Dublin12
14/10/2004, 10:16 AM
Hi
First post,good site I like it,have been looking for a few weeks.
Anyway,was anyone else p1ssed off last night when the wave started,we were 1-0 up and finding it hard to break them down and then the ole's started followed by a mexican wave :mad:,we were hardly cruising to a comfortable victory at that stage :mad:

the 12 th man
14/10/2004, 10:36 AM
Hi
First post,good site I like it,have been looking for a few weeks.
Anyway,was anyone else p1ssed off last night when the wave started,we were 1-0 up and finding it hard to break them down and then the ole's started followed by a mexican wave :mad:,we were hardly cruising to a comfortable victory at that stage :mad:

yeah i dont know which i hate more -ole or the wave.
but i suppose the people were asked to liven it up by kerr etc .

better than the "graveyard" we have had of late :)

fosterdollar
14/10/2004, 10:42 AM
it was total nonsense. i got abuse from a d!ckhead in a Keltic jersey :rolleyes: for not joining in

bryanodowd
14/10/2004, 10:52 AM
at least we weren't all sitting there doing nothing.
was a bit early for it though

tetsujin1979
14/10/2004, 11:14 AM
The Faroes fans were sitting down from me in the North stand and they were the ones that started it! It was going up the stand first, rather than around the stadium, and then it started moving around.

Seamuslawless
14/10/2004, 11:29 AM
Surely its better to be singing ole and doing the wave than sitting there miserable because theres 20 mins gone and its not 6-0. Is that not what all the talk has been about over the last few days, trying to create some sort of atmosphere at the ground. Its sad when its so quiet that we can hear the drone of the carlsberg band from the south terrace !!

Bondvillain
14/10/2004, 11:43 AM
And who, might I ask, do I have to kill to make sure the "up-to-the-minute" & "socially relevant" "favourite" of the fans "HEY BABY" is never heard in Dublin again?

(I appreciate that I could just Kill Robbie & Clinton & that would probably ensure that no goalscoring celebration choons were heard in landsdowne for some time to come, but I'd rather vent my venom on a suit. :D )

Seamuslawless
14/10/2004, 11:50 AM
Yeah thats awful ....... you can see where Rooney is coming from with some of his ideas, I mean the big flags look well and he was probably watching a spanish match and saw a band in the crowd and went ....hmmmm interesting, but Hey Baby ?!? Why not play something remotely relevant after we score ...... bring back put 'em under pressure :D

Dodge
14/10/2004, 12:07 PM
Surely its better to be singing ole and doing the wave than sitting there miserable because theres 20 mins gone and its not 6-0. Is that not what all the talk has been about over the last few days, trying to create some sort of atmosphere at the ground. Its sad when its so quiet that we can hear the drone of the carlsberg band from the south terrace !!
Anyone who partakes in a mexican wave (outside of mexicans) is an idiot. Likewise anyone who sings any Olé crap...

max power
14/10/2004, 12:12 PM
Anyone who partakes in a mexican wave (outside of mexicans) is an idiot. Likewise anyone who sings any Olé crap...

i'm an idiot then :rolleyes:

Seamuslawless
14/10/2004, 12:17 PM

Well forgive me if I'm an idiot then rather than one of the miserable silent many. Strange the way from 36000 you reckon everyone bar ..... oh about 500 are idiots ........ hmmmm mirror mirror on the wall

Dodge
14/10/2004, 12:27 PM
i'm an idiot then :rolleyes:
Correct...

Well forgive me if I'm an idiot then rather than one of the miserable silent many. Strange the way from 36000 you reckon everyone bar ..... oh about 500 are idiots ........ hmmmm mirror mirror on the wall
Forgiven. Don't go to Ireland games. Find that the vast, vast majority are idiots. By your calculations you reckon 35,500. I wouldn't have thought it was that high...

fergalr
14/10/2004, 12:31 PM
Those in the East Lower who spent more time trying to start mexican waves than watching the game deffo fell into the tw@t category.

joeSoap
14/10/2004, 12:37 PM
yeah i dont know which i hate more -ole or the wave.

Definitely.....both of them equally, but what really gets on my wick is
"Stand up ...for the boys in green".

I always feel surrounded by in-breds when that sh1t starts...

tiktok
14/10/2004, 12:50 PM
People, people, people.

We only have five chants that generate any kind of noise.

Ireland (clap, clap, clap)
C'mon you boys in green
Ole, Ole
Que Sera Sera
Stand up for the boys in Green

...and then there's the mexican wave.

We all know that (Que Sera Sera apart) they're all brutal, but they're all we've got.

I cheered and waved like an idiot last night when the wave was going around, I joined in with every naff chant that was started, because I like to add to the atmosphere, it increases my enjoyment of the game, and I'm too old to be bothered by what those around me (who I'll probably never see again) think of me.

The alternative is to stand, feeling superior, looking down your nose at the idiots and in-breds enjoying themselves. If that's what floats your boat, I'd sooner the idiots had the tickets :rolleyes:

So, not to be rude, put forward an alternative and get it organised or stop complaining.

Last night was the first time in a good while that there was a bit of life around Landsdowne, and for a change I enjoyed myself despite the poor game.

Seamuslawless
14/10/2004, 12:59 PM
Agree totally tiktok

ger121
14/10/2004, 1:22 PM
People, people, people.

C'mon you boys in green
Ole, Ole
Que Sera Sera

We all know that (Que Sera Sera apart) they're all brutal, but they're all we've got.

I cheered and waved like an idiot last night when the wave was going around, I joined in with every naff chant that was started, because I like to add to the atmosphere, it increases my enjoyment of the game, and I'm too old to be bothered by what those around me (who I'll probably never see again) think of me.

The alternative is to stand, feeling superior, looking down your nose at the idiots and in-breds enjoying themselves. If that's what floats your boat, I'd sooner the idiots had the tickets :rolleyes:

So, not to be rude, put forward an alternative and get it organised or stop complaining.

Last night was the first time in a good while that there was a bit of life around Landsdowne, and for a change I enjoyed myself despite the poor game.

Agreed Tiktok, was a bit of fun last night and you can't always say that about Lansdowne. Some people on here need to lighten up!!!

Bondvillain
14/10/2004, 1:29 PM
Ok, so heres what I've gathered so far:

Everyone hates the graveyard atmosphere, so we have to sing and chant and make noise.

When singing & chanting etc, the subject must remember that the following is right out of order: Ole Ole, Come on you boys in green, Que sera sera,(depending on who's near you) Stand up for the boys in green
any kind of wave people enjoying themselves

Shall we hire a voice coach and a choreographer and all turn up to Landsdowne 6 hours early so as to work on our routines? That sould really get the spontaneity flowing in an organised manner.....

Bondvillain
14/10/2004, 1:31 PM

Nice work tiktok. quicker typst & better wordsmith than me. :)

aidz1
14/10/2004, 1:37 PM
agree with doge
mexican wave ????

ppl more interested in looking around the stands than the content on the pitch...and this at 20mins play!!!
ffs ..leave that to for the westlife gigs lads..

the 12 th man
14/10/2004, 1:40 PM
who was ringing that bell in the crowd by the way ??. :D

one_bounce
14/10/2004, 1:46 PM
jesus christ.. what a bunch of moany f*cks in here... lansdowne can be the coldest most boring place imaginable so people get stuck in and sing silly songs to get a bit of atmosphere going ...so you brand them idiots
wake up you f*cking ****s..this is exactly why the fai give tickets to the el clubs in the north terrace..there was no atmosphere..none of what ye just described

tell you what.. next game we'll all sit down obediently.. clap when its pertinent (eg goal scored/end of match) and enjoy the magnificent surroundings that is lansdowne road and see how enjoyable the EXPERIENCE is

my favourite moment last night was when the couple of moany f*cks in the north terrace decided the entire terrace standing were in their line of sight (because they were sitting) so the stewards had to ask everyone to sit down..after about 30 secs the 'stand up for the boys in green chant' sorted that out..heh heh

Seamuslawless
14/10/2004, 1:51 PM
That whole "sit down, sit down" thing really pi**es me off, fair enough if there are kids behind you that can't see, no problem, but when its just four or five miserable sods who don't want to join in....... if you want to sit down, then go home and watch the game on rte, don't ruin things on the people trying to enjoy the atmosphere and have a bit of craic!

Bald Student
14/10/2004, 2:20 PM
The Mexican Wave would have been a bit early in the game had it been started by Irish fans, but it was started by the Faroe's fans who came to Dublin to enjoy themselves so I decided it would have been rude not to join in.

As for the standing I hate sitting down at a football game as much as anyone else so I stand at most games in Landsdown but I do have sympathy for small kids who can't see and for people not a young as me who wouldn't like to stand for 90 min's. I don't think that there is any easy solution to that problem.

GavinZac
14/10/2004, 2:29 PM
agree with doge
mexican wave ????

ppl more interested in looking around the stands than the content on the pitch...and this at 20mins play!!!
ffs ..leave that to for the westlife gigs lads..

you go to live football twice a year, dont you?

it is possible to sing and watch a game, you know. takes a bit of practice i suppose.

joeSoap
14/10/2004, 2:30 PM
That whole "sit down, sit down" thing really pi**es me off, fair enough if there are kids behind you that can't see, no problem, but when its just four or five miserable sods who don't want to join in....... if you want to sit down, then go home and watch the game on rte, don't ruin things on the people trying to enjoy the atmosphere and have a bit of craic!
Some people pay for a seat, so they can sit and watch the game in comfort. I understand the odd jump up and down, especially if theres a goal scored, but mindless morons standing up when they have paid to sit down just aggravates those who want to take advantage of their seat......If you want to stand up then go to a pub or go home and watch the game on telly. Stop spoiling it for the kids and the majority of the paying public who want to get their moneys worth.

GavinZac
14/10/2004, 2:32 PM
If you want to stand up then go to a pub or go home and watch the game on telly.

or go to a terrace? :confused:

people pay to enjoy a match, not to sit down. if i wanted to sit down in silence and clap every now and again, thats when i'd watch the game at home.

Rover 2 U
14/10/2004, 2:40 PM
It's the old "I've paid 30 quid for me seat and I'm going to get value for money out of it" mentality! :rolleyes:

joeSoap
14/10/2004, 2:56 PM
sadly, and mostly because of the hooligan antics of our neighbours across the sea at Hillsborough and Hysel, we all have to sit down watching football matches :mad:
But thats life or so they say. I always go to the terrace in Lansdowne for the rugby internationals by choice cos its so much better, but I have to say, if I pay top dollar for a seat expecting a certain view of a game, and some tosser keeps standing in front of me just cos he wants to, then thats wrong, and he should be made sit, or ejected from the ground.

Bald Student
14/10/2004, 3:24 PM
some tosser keeps standing in front of me just cos he wants to,

What if the person standing isn't a tosser?

blobbyblob
14/10/2004, 3:31 PM
sadly, and mostly because of the hooligan antics of our neighbours across the sea at Hillsborough and Hysel, we all have to sit down watching football matches.

Eh, The Hillsborough Disaster was nothing to do with hooligans in fairness.

If a person in front of you wants to support their team in any way they see fit, they are also entitled to do so. Football is a passionate game. It stirs up passionate emotions and reactions. You've obviously more "top dollar" than emotion if you can't appreciate that.

There is a new culture forming in this country where we are taking behaviours and attitudes to a new level. Its unfashionable to go against the grain and speak out. The North terrace has the majority of vocal supporters so its easier to join in and make some noise.

Only takes a few Joe Soaps to silence a whole stand though.

This mentality needs to be stamped out before the athmosphere is "ejected from the ground"

one_bounce
14/10/2004, 3:32 PM
Some people pay for a seat, so they can sit and watch the game in comfort. I understand the odd jump up and down, especially if theres a goal scored, but mindless morons standing up when they have paid to sit down just aggravates those who want to take advantage of their seat......If you want to stand up then go to a pub or go home and watch the game on telly. Stop spoiling it for the kids and the majority of the paying public who want to get their moneys worth.

simple solution... get yourself a seat in the stands for the next match..nobody will stand in front of you then.. anybody who buys a ticket for the terrace and expects everyone to sit down, not contribute to the atmosphere and clap politely is a disillusioned fool

roboyle
14/10/2004, 3:58 PM
I was sitting in the north stand last night – took every opportunity to stand and cheer on the lads and made sure I was the last to sit as everyone around me returned to their seats… Early in the second half, I was told directly to sit down because ‘the young fella can’t see the game’ and did so for the benefit of said boy… a few minutes later, same fella told everyone to stay sitting down when someone replied that maybe he (the father) should stand up. I know it’s unfair to be brought to the match by your father and to then not see the game but if the atmosphere is as dead as a rural wake then it won’t be much fun for anyone involved… it’s not the cinema you’re at!!!

aidz1
14/10/2004, 4:07 PM
you go to live football twice a year, dont you?

it is possible to sing and watch a game, you know. takes a bit of practice i suppose.

ye whatever :rolleyes:
although, i suppose i do need all the pratice in singing and watching a game at the same time .....
i am a regular victim at century homes, gortakeegan!!!

im just trying to state the fact that the mexican wave should have no part of a footie game...let it be buried with the year 1986
the mexican wave crew seem to be more intersted in lookking around the stadium pointing out folk than watchin/singin/chanting in the game..

ban the mexican wave......too many ppl dont use deodrant :ball:

fosterdollar
14/10/2004, 4:08 PM
i was in the north terrace too and was rather surprised at how much of above stuff was happening. As soon as we came in to our seats the 2 or 3 lads behind us started sighing and muttering complaints when we stayed standing. As a matter of fact, the whole section we were in was standing but they seemed more concerned with being able to sit back and have an aul' nap for themselves

zinedineontour
14/10/2004, 4:15 PM
but I have to say, if I pay top dollar for a seat expecting a certain view of a game, and some tosser keeps standing in front of me just cos he wants to, then thats wrong, and he should be made sit, or ejected from the ground.

If you wanna pay top dollar pay it and sit in the west stand with all the other fun people like yourself. Its an entertainment industry not sunday mass. Maybe like Paris have a section for all kids to go with there parents so they can all sit down and enjoy there game if the dont want people standing. But I deffo think both south and north terraces should be encouraged to stand as this increases the atmosphere with everyone standing

roboyle
14/10/2004, 4:16 PM
Topical question here - are there any plans to have terraces in the new Lansdowne Road? Since the IRFU don't have FIFA rules to be guided by and I heard a year or two ago that 'safe' terraces have been invented which meet safety regulations (even FIFA regulations?), wouldn't it be possible?

fosterdollar
14/10/2004, 4:18 PM
well if they decide to co-fund then surley the FAI will be looking for FIFA conformity ... and probably full seating at that

DolansWaistcoat
14/10/2004, 4:37 PM
The wave looked brilliant on tele and was probably a laugh at the game for most ppl who have a sense of humour anyway.

It's possible to do mexican waves,sit down on terraces,sing and shout your head off or do any fcukin thing you want and still be able to watch a live game.It's all part of the enjoyment of it,for me anyway.

Bosco
14/10/2004, 4:37 PM
I hate watching football sitting down,its too much like watching it at home.I do have symphaty for young fellas who cant see but I admit to getting very frustrated when people tell me to sit down.I cant understand people going to a game just to watch it.A football game is not a show,its an experience,you have to take part yourself.For example,the cup final last year as stand up if you're longford town started i was told to sit down.I dont think people should go to a cup final just to watch it.In the premiership and other leagues in europe you see most of the stadium standing for the 90 mins.I think anymore the north and south terrace should be standing.Its called a terrace,just cause there is seats,does not mean you have to use them.I know this will sound bad but if the kids havnt a perfect view tough,they'll still be able to see most of the match.The kids going to rugger games have to put up with it.If everyone stands anymore in the north and south,finally people will expect to have to stand when they go to games

thejollyrodger
14/10/2004, 5:28 PM
if they want to watch the game, go and watch it on the telly.
;)
We need a decent atmosphere in landsdowne road. Standing defintely improves it.

John83
14/10/2004, 6:37 PM
People, people, people.

C'mon you boys in green
Ole, Ole
Que Sera Sera

Thank you. Trawling through all this bollicks is worthwhile when someone occasionally writes a post like that.

oconghc2
14/10/2004, 6:54 PM
found the atmosphere much better last night. reckon we were all still in paris mode a bit!

still think there is too many self-conscious goons at the games! feel embarrassed to sing or something.

One other thing - all these sh*its moaning here seem to have posted the most times on this site!! all over 1,000 posts!!! .... get a life you boring old sh*ites , maybe yous should stand up a bit more often !! sittin on your arses at the computer!!

Jon'o
14/10/2004, 7:01 PM
One other thing - all these sh*its moaning here seem to have posted the most times on this site!! all over 1,000 posts!!! .... get a life you boring old sh*ites , maybe yous should stand up a bit more often !! sittin on your arses at the computer!!

most people ive seen on here with 1000+ posts do stand up at games and also follow the team home and away for every game.

oconghc2
14/10/2004, 7:16 PM
don't doubt it at all

just find it amazing that these lads with fair enthusiasm for the team, can look down at people for wanting to create better atmosphere at game!

thats all

4tothefloor
15/10/2004, 12:19 AM
Yer all a shower of maoning b@stards. First ye complain that there's no atmosphere at Lansdowne Road etc etc...yawn...yawn. Then after a night where we saw the best atmosphere in years, yer still complaining. The chants are too 'naff'? Embarrassed to sing them\too up yer own arses to take part in a Mexican wave? Next time out when we play Croatia, do us all a favour and stay the fcuk at home, or even better, pi$$ off and follow rugby instead.

I've been going to Lansdowne since the qualifiers for Italia 90, and as far as I can recall, 'Ole, Ole', 'Que Sera Sera', 'Come on you boys...', etc were all sung back then. Aren't these the 'good old days' that everyone is constantly referring to? If they were good enough back then, why aren't they good enough now? What do ye want, is it to sing 'Thiery Henry, you're havin a laugh' at every game? Few English football chants will take off over here for the simple reason that they are English chants.

And another thing, RE: this attitude towards the West Stand. I have tickets for both the West Stand and the North Terrace for most games. I've sat in both, and believe me, you're not all that you're cracked up to be in the North. In fact, there isn't much of a difference between the atmosphere in the stand & terrace. On wed night, all of the fans in the West joined in and sang their hearts out, so this attitude towards the West stand is another example of the bull$hit talk that goes on here.

tiktok & John83, agree with your views as its the only one with a bit of sense.

Dotsy
15/10/2004, 8:13 AM
Yer all a shower of maoning b@stards. First ye complain that there's no atmosphere at Lansdowne Road etc etc...yawn...yawn. Then after a night where we saw the best atmosphere in years, yer still complaining. The chants are too 'naff'? Embarrassed to sing them\too up yer own arses to take part in a Mexican wave? Next time out when we play Croatia, do us all a favour and stay the fcuk at home, or even better, pi$$ off and follow rugby instead.

I've been going to Lansdowne since the qualifiers for Italia 90, and as far as I can recall, 'Ole, Ole', 'Que Sera Sera', 'Come on you boys...', etc were all sung back then. Aren't these the 'good old days' that everyone is constantly referring to? If they were good enough back then, why aren't they good enough now? What do ye want, is it to sing 'Thiery Henry, you're havin a laugh' at every game? Few English football chants will take off over here for the simple reason that they are English chants.

And another thing, RE: this attitude towards the West Stand. I have tickets for both the West Stand and the North Terrace for most games. I've sat in both, and believe me, you're not all that you're cracked up to be in the North. In fact, there isn't much of a difference between the atmosphere in the stand & terrace. On wed night, all of the fans in the West joined in and sang their hearts out, so this attitude towards the West stand is another example of the bull$hit talk that goes on here.

tiktok & John83, agree with your views as its the only one with a bit of sense.

Well said. I've been going to Landsdowne since 1979 and as far as I remember the only two chants that were regularly sung then and for most of the 80's were "Come on you boys" and "Ireland (clap) Ireland (clap) etc". The atmosphere was often alot better then than it is now, although I'll admit that was partly due to the standing terraces. The atmopsphere on Wednesday was the best I've heard in a long time at Landsdowne. Maybe it was partly due to the fact that there were many people in Paris who had never been to an away game before and they realised what the atmosphere can be like if you get off your arse and sing during the game. The important thing is to make yourself heard and what you sing doesn't matter a **** once it's in support of the team and gets the crowd going.

joeSoap
15/10/2004, 8:16 AM
simple solution... get yourself a seat in the stands for the next match..nobody will stand in front of you then.. anybody who buys a ticket for the terrace and expects everyone to sit down, not contribute to the atmosphere and clap politely is a disillusioned fool
My tickets are for the East Upper...and I've continually had the same problem , albeit with a ceretain bunch of Bohs fans who always seem to get the same tickets as me. :mad:

one_bounce
15/10/2004, 8:35 AM
fair enuf..id expect the people to sit in the stands

ccfcman
15/10/2004, 8:44 AM
Its what u get when the prawn sandwhich brigade are out i force with their free tickets