PDA

View Full Version : RTE next season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

adamd164
23/10/2013, 11:20 AM
What is the current situation with RTE's coverage for next year? This year was the final year of their TV deal with the FAI. I haven't read or heard anything about next year's situation.. unless I've missed it somewhere.

From RTE statement when last deal was signed:

Beginning in 2010, the number of live [LOI] matches shown by RTÉ will grow each season culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term - the 2013 season

I don't think they showed near to 33 matches this year, but more importantly will we be back to the days of no TV coverage soon?

Could impact clubs in terms of ability to attract sponsors.

harps1954
23/10/2013, 11:30 AM
Isn't the TV deals for international games now sold as a package through UEFA. I'm nearly sure it is. In the past the FAI sold rights to all home games themselves and insisted that RTE showed LOI as part of the deal. I know the last time that RTE negotiated with the FAI, they offered the FAI an extra €4million NOT to have to show the LOI. However, the FAI turned it down. It was a good bit of business by the FAI as it was they (the FAI) who forced RTE into showing MNS. I'd say we could be back to the days of the TV3 showing the Monday night package with clubs providing most of the material themselves. RTE will still jump on the bandwagon and show Cup semi-finals, Cup Final and matches at end of the season that will decide the title. I'd expect MNS to be shelved. Maybe Setanta might be inclined to pick up some of the slack? Whatever ways it works out, I can see a much reduced TV coverage in 2014 onwards.

harps1954
23/10/2013, 11:34 AM
More on it here. Just what I thought. Deal was negotiated via UEFA and not the FAI.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0410/380747-rte-secures-euro-2016-world-cup-2018-rights/

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/world-football/europe/12324-ebu-deal-is-first-fruit-of-uefa-s-centralised-national-team-rights

nigel-harps1954
23/10/2013, 12:32 PM
I'd fear no highlights package at all next year. We'll have to start our own one.

Mr A
23/10/2013, 1:17 PM
On the other hand RTE have lost the premiership and have only one night of champions league games so may have more of an interest. Sky have the Rabo from 2014- not sure whether RTE will have matches there.

So while the league has lost some leverage, RTE haven't as much on their plate as previously and I do recall someone in their sports department saying that they'd be focussing more on domestic sport in future.

Edit: From this, it seems RTE may still have RABO games, but it's not fully clear: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/sky-sports-signs-deal-show-3316079

gufcfan
23/10/2013, 1:26 PM
RTE haven't as much on their plate as previously and I do recall someone in their sports department saying that they'd be focussing more on domestic sport in future.

Which is what they should have been doing in the first place.

Jofspring
23/10/2013, 2:01 PM
Problem is "domestic sport" may mean GAA.

harps1954
23/10/2013, 2:29 PM
Problem is "domestic sport" may mean GAA.

Exactly - they might try to take the National League off Setanta & TG4. Domestic would also mean a return to them showing loads of AIL Rugby.

gufcfan
23/10/2013, 5:29 PM
Fair points. Like people have said, I fear a return to the bad old days of sfa coverage.

Charlie Darwin
23/10/2013, 6:17 PM
Exactly - they might try to take the National League off Setanta & TG4. Domestic would also mean a return to them showing loads of AIL Rugby.
I'd have sworn I read somewhere RTE were going back to showing AIL this season but I can't find any proper info on it.

On the other hand RTE have lost the premiership and have only one night of champions league games so may have more of an interest. Sky have the Rabo from 2014- not sure whether RTE will have matches there.

So while the league has lost some leverage, RTE haven't as much on their plate as previously and I do recall someone in their sports department saying that they'd be focussing more on domestic sport in future.

Edit: From this, it seems RTE may still have RABO games, but it's not fully clear: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/sky-sports-signs-deal-show-3316079
RTE will still have Rabo games. It seems they'll probably have the same number as now, but I'm not sure.

Longfordian
23/10/2013, 6:25 PM
I'd fear no highlights package at all next year. We'll have to start our own one.

The lads from Dundalk FM can do voice overs for all games.

Mark
23/10/2013, 8:41 PM
The lads from Dundalk FM can do voice overs for all games.

Brilliant idea. Give me John Murphy and the lads over Peter Collins or Darragh Maloney anytime. Entertainment guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie Darwin
23/10/2013, 8:54 PM
What's their knowledge of Spanish football like?

White Horse
23/10/2013, 9:06 PM
A little bit of respect for the Dundalk FM commentators is in order.

Don't forget that John Murphy captained Dundalk when they became the first irish side to win an away match in the European Cup when they bet FC Zurich 2:0

Sean South
24/10/2013, 7:51 AM
Would it be possible for clubs to get together (yeah I know unlikely) and produce a weekly hour long highlights program and a hour long preview show available on the Internet? If clubs had volunteers/supporters recording the footage it shouldn't cost too much.

Dodge
24/10/2013, 9:22 AM
This season's live games

LOI only; RTE 12, Setanta 8
LOI/FAI/EA; RTE 15 (inc FAI cup final). Setanta; 9
All games; RTE 15 (inc FAI cup final). Setanta 18

Charlie Darwin
24/10/2013, 9:32 AM
So they got to 33 in the end, by outsourcing 18 of them to Setanta.

Dodge
24/10/2013, 10:04 AM
So they got to 33 in the end, by outsourcing 18 of them to Setanta.

Sure, if you include 7 in the Setanta Cup, 2 in the Europa League and the League Cup final

TheBoss
24/10/2013, 6:18 PM
I think the League should copy what the SPFL are doing, they have highlights of all games from all 4 divisions on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial). Surely the Airtricity League is able to do that ?

Bawnville Hoop
24/10/2013, 7:55 PM
I think the League should copy what the SPFL are doing, they have highlights of all games from all 4 divisions on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial). Surely the Airtricity League is able to do that ?

The FAI stopped clubs streaming live games with the mindset it would increase the attendance, that's their mindset so I couldn't see them ever doing something like the above.

CityRebel
24/10/2013, 8:06 PM
A little bit of respect for the Dundalk FM commentators is in order.

Don't forget that John Murphy captained Dundalk when they became the first irish side to win an away match in the European Cup when they bet FC Zurich 2:0
They do good commentary in fairness to them, I enjoy listening to them, even if they are biased!

I don't see why not, sure some clubs' fans already produce good quality highlights videos, Shels in particular stand out in my mind.

nigel-harps1954
24/10/2013, 8:53 PM
Between all the fans on foot.ie alone, I'm sure we'd be able to put something together ourselves if it came to it?

Schumi
25/10/2013, 12:50 PM
I'd have sworn I read somewhere RTE were going back to showing AIL this season but I can't find any proper info on it.

They've been showing a couple of games towards the end of the AIL season for the last few years afaik, they certainly did last season.

Macy
26/10/2013, 10:39 PM
The FAI stopped clubs streaming live games with the mindset it would increase the attendance, that's their mindset so I couldn't see them ever doing something like the above.
Wasn't that because of the RTE deal though - RTE had the rights. If there's no deal, there wouldn't be the same issue.

toffeejay
27/10/2013, 9:19 AM
Considering that it licenced fee there should be a charter in place to at least have a token coverage of domestic sports. I'm pretty sure the BBC have to cover certain events no matter how minority interest they maybe.

A face
28/10/2013, 11:22 PM
Considering that it licenced fee there should be a charter in place to at least have a token coverage of domestic sports. I'm pretty sure the BBC have to cover certain events no matter how minority interest they maybe.

I think that last time there was a public charter in RTE it was done in secret. It was mentioned here that it was going to be completed and no one heard sight nor sound of it in that two year period. Public my árse, i wouldn't believe a word of it.

Domestic football is absolutely their remit, and it should be their primary concern, and have the biggest share of resources (money, time, effort) devoted to it, but they failed on every level.

The league clubs seem to be indifferent about it though, and THAT is the most concerning thing about it all !?!?!!?!?!

Dodge
29/10/2013, 10:30 AM
Domestic football is absolutely their remit, and it should be their primary concern, and have the biggest share of resources (money, time, effort) devoted to it, but they failed on every level.
jaysus a face, will you get a grip?

The league clubs seem to be indifferent about it though, and THAT is the most concerning thing about it all !?!?!!?!?!
What makes you think this? Just because they don't **** and moan about stuff on their websites, doesn't mean they're not concerned about issues relating to their welfare

A face
30/10/2013, 8:59 AM
jaysus a face, will you get a grip?

No way Dodge, because I think that its the whole crux of the matter. They are a National Broadcaster, they take a licence fee, they are opposing it being divided out, they already get allowances even though they are a National Broadcaster and i get all that and don't have a problem with it per say BUT I think its cut and dry ..... National Broadcaster = National League .... I cant understand how they haven't been brought to task on this, its like there is an apathy around it or something. Do people think they can operate on their own and do as they like?

And its not like i'm not consistent either, I was saying even before TV3s effort over a decade ago.

What makes you think this? Just because they don't **** and moan about stuff on their websites, doesn't mean they're not concerned about issues relating to their welfare

Are you telling me that the league clubs have collectively flexed their muscles EVER to do something about it?

A simple Yes or No will do.

Even before the FAI took over? Dodge, most on here are fairly closely aligned with their clubs for decades and i think as football fans go, we are a fairly knowledgeable bunch and there isn't one amongst us could tell you when ever league clubs did something about this in any meaningful way. Yes i know they are not happy about it, and i hope to god they aren't moping about over it but what are they doing about it? What have they done? You cant quantify it because there isn't anything to quantify it. Bar a couple of strongly worded letters the league clubs have sat on their hands for the last 20 years, on an issue that is pivotal to making this league sustainable.

Even when the FAI were trying to barter with the National games etc. the league should have been making moves to strengthen our position, but truth be told (if RTE pull the plug on MNS) we are no better off than we were before eircom League Weekly back in the day. You cant argue that, we are back to square one at this stage.

Of course they shouldn't be moaning on websites, that is absolutely not the mechanism to do anything about it, there are other ways to achieve it and if it were me i'd start with finding out what RTE are legally obliged to do as regards coverage. If you dont ask then you wont get ..... and if the league clubs don't ever start to challenge this then nothing with ever change, you cant blame RTE because they are not being asked, they are getting away with it so why would they change?

Every chairman and CEO of league clubs right now, are presently the ones to blame, until they step down, and pass on the baton of blame !!!

Dodge
30/10/2013, 10:18 AM
No way Dodge, because I think that its the whole crux of the matter. They are a National Broadcaster, they take a licence fee, they are opposing it being divided out, they already get allowances even though they are a National Broadcaster and i get all that and don't have a problem with it per say BUT I think its cut and dry ..... National Broadcaster = National League .... I cant understand how they haven't been brought to task on this, its like there is an apathy around it or something. Do people think they can operate on their own and do as they like?

Simply put, nobody gets their own way all the time. The league is in no position to demand more coverage than it gets. The league gets more coverage than all other football gets combined. How can you argue otherwise?

Are you telling me that the league clubs have collectively flexed their muscles EVER to do something about it?

A simple Yes or No will do.
You can't asnwer yes or no to something as vague as that FFS. Have you ever considered that they happen to think that 20 live games and a weekly highlights package is MORE than acceptable?

Even when the FAI were trying to barter with the National games etc. the league should have been making moves to strengthen our position, but truth be told (if RTE pull the plug on MNS) we are no better off than we were before eircom League Weekly back in the day. You cant argue that, we are back to square one at this stage.
So 20 live games and a weekly hour long highlights show on at 7pm is the same as a handful of live games at 30 minutes on at 10.30/11pm? Lauaghable

Every chairman and CEO of league clubs right now, are presently the ones to blame, until they step down, and pass on the baton of blame !!!
Blame for what? I can't see how you think there should be more coverage. Even your own club moaned about being on TV too much. If you're serious about "blaming" chairman, you might want to ask them how much they lose each time they're on TV

I don't mean to get personal a face, but you're going way OTT on this.

nigel-harps1954
30/10/2013, 10:58 AM
Both great arguments lads. Personally I'd sit on the fence here. There's definitely sufficient coverage of the Premier Division. Nobody could really ask for much more than one hour weekly highlights programme and 20-odd games a year.

The problem is, clubs see absolutely no financial reward with this. Clubs should be getting €5-10,000 euro a game shown live by RTÉ. They should get a yearly sum either at the start or end of the season to cover the highlights packages. It happens in every other world league, but not ours.

There's coverage, and then there's poor coverage. While the actual quality of coverage is neither world class, nor terrible, it's the treatment of the clubs that renders this whole process awful. The attitude around RTÉ and the FAI seems to be that clubs should just be glad they're on TV and not complain about a lack of finance involved, which stinks to be fair.

Macy
30/10/2013, 12:04 PM
The attitude around RTÉ and the FAI seems to be that clubs should just be glad they're on TV and not complain about a lack of finance involved, which stinks to be fair.
Are RTE not paying for games, or is it just going into the black hole of FAI finances (like the league sponsorships)?

Bray Head
30/10/2013, 12:39 PM
This season's live games

LOI only; RTE 12, Setanta 8
LOI/FAI/EA; RTE 15 (inc FAI cup final). Setanta; 9
All games; RTE 15 (inc FAI cup final). Setanta 18

What's happened with TG4. Is it cos Galway are gone that they don't shown games anymore.

nigel-harps1954
30/10/2013, 2:18 PM
What's happened with TG4. Is it cos Galway are gone that they don't shown games anymore.

TG4 and RTÉ are the same thing now aren't they? They showed Harps once or twice in the past if I remember right when we had a fluent Irish speaking chairman.

Often wondered myself why they never picked up on a few games though.

A face
30/10/2013, 2:19 PM
Simply put, nobody gets their own way all the time. The league is in no position to demand more coverage than it gets. The league gets more coverage than all other football gets combined. How can you argue otherwise?

You can't asnwer yes or no to something as vague as that FFS. Have you ever considered that they happen to think that 20 live games and a weekly highlights package is MORE than acceptable?

So 20 live games and a weekly hour long highlights show on at 7pm is the same as a handful of live games at 30 minutes on at 10.30/11pm? Lauaghable

Blame for what? I can't see how you think there should be more coverage. Even your own club moaned about being on TV too much. If you're serious about "blaming" chairman, you might want to ask them how much they lose each time they're on TV

I don't mean to get personal a face, but you're going way OTT on this.

Dodge, for the record, my argument is if MNS is pulled and less games are being shown. That's the reason for the rant in the first place.

BonnieShels
30/10/2013, 3:02 PM
TG4 and RTÉ are the same thing now aren't they? They showed Harps once or twice in the past if I remember right when we had a fluent Irish speaking chairman.

Often wondered myself why they never picked up on a few games though.

Nope.

Never have been. They are an independent statutory broadcaster. Similar in status as Channel 4 in Britain.

adamd164
02/11/2013, 9:37 AM
TG4's coverage is missed, though I don't speak much Irish they really made a decent effort of putting together a good package for live games.

It'll be interesting to see how next Monday's MNS is wrapped up... not looking likely there'll be any "see you next March" type statements.

gufcfan
03/11/2013, 1:42 AM
TG4's coverage is missed, though I don't speak much Irish they really made a decent effort of putting together a good package for live games.
They did yeah. Usually a substantial preview with footage from recent games. Gave enough time to speak to managers before and after the matches.

Jofspring
03/11/2013, 8:10 AM
They've been showing a couple of games towards the end of the AIL season for the last few years afaik, they certainly did last season.

As far as I can remember they have only been showing the AIL final in recent years. There is against the head alright but that doesn't kick in till the six nations and at that stage you are only talking about the end of the ail seasons highlights. With coverage of the pro 12 they have pretty much given up on AIL. LOI crowds are bad but AIL is worse for most clubs.

legendz
03/11/2013, 8:33 AM
I wouldn't be too bothered if Setanta took over live games and the highlights as well or some arrangement with TV3. I think there's some link in ownership. Setanta have been doing a decent job of highlights from across the water.

ger121
05/11/2013, 7:50 AM
Normally at the end of MNS each season they say "we'll see you again in march" This year Collins said "until next time" I'd guess nothing has been agreed between the FAI and RTE regarding future seasons. I think that could have been the last MNS...

Macy
05/11/2013, 8:52 AM
How far are the FAI willing to push this? In my view they are that desperate for money they won't take a hit to keep the coverage. All money in, essentially for the league, just gets swallowed up by the FAI who then deem how much crumbs to throw at the clubs. If the FAI leave us with no highlights package, with the reduced (from promised) prize fund, losing a club a year, it's time for the clubs to split and control our own destiny again, and get a bit of weight back in the FAI.

btw there's probably not much more coverage on the hour long MNS, as there was on the half hour eL weekly. Too much talk not enough action.

harps1954
05/11/2013, 9:27 AM
How far are the FAI willing to push this?

The FAI don't have the big stick of the International games coverage to beat RTE with any more in relation to the TV deal. In the past, the FAI forced RTE to show at least some domestic coverage as part of the deal for International match rights. However, these rights are now sold centrally by UEFA and RTE has already got the rights to show Ireland games for the next two campaigns up to 2018. What 'powers' the FAI had with RTE are now gone. From being in a position of strength when dealing with RTE in the past, the FAI will now have to go begging to them to keep domestic football on RTE going forward. Unlikely we'll see MNS back again next season and the 'live' games will probably only be FAI Cup semi-finals and final and maybe 2 or 3 league games (if that) towards the end of the season.

I'm not bothered if RTE show any live games to be honest, but a half-hour highlights package just showing the goals from the games would be ideal. Something on a Sunday night about 10.00pm would be great. No need for a host or studio guests, just 30 minutes of action from the six Premier games. Take a look at what the SPFL produce themselves (you'll see it on BT Sport and Sky Sports) and also the EPL's Premier League Review. Just action from the games with voice-overs or commentary. Would do the business.

Macy
05/11/2013, 1:05 PM
Well Delaney was talking up the TV money they're getting, so they could contribute towards the costs of MNS like they did under the existing deal. If they wanted to, and didn't just want to hide behind the excuse of the TV deal.

Also, if they can't get RTE to play ball, for whatever reason, they could pay for a professional camera at every game, get highlights edited down and set up a youtube channel, like the Celtic League rugby have, the UCI etc. They could also support clubs with live streaming of matches - camera costs, equipment costs and the like. Just because RTE might not be willing, doesn't mean that the FAI have enough of an excuse of washing their hands of highlights in some form. Indeed, a youtube channel should mean they can even cover first division games.

They made it known they turned down circa €2 million a year to keep MNS. They've made it known (if I heard it right on the news at one) they're getting circa €40 million from the centralised TV deal. The FAI have the money to keep MNS going and/or come up with alternatives. Actually they should do both - put the money into camera people to provide RTE with footage as part of the deal, but the club/ league/ FAI keep rights so they can do the online stuff too.

Sheridan
05/11/2013, 1:19 PM
RTÉ's issue isn't with the cost of producing MNS (which is minuscule), but the damage to its viewership and advertising revenues caused by broadcasting it in prime time. There are also ideological motives behind their desire to get rid (GAA lobby being one).

blueblood
05/11/2013, 1:33 PM
It depends who you ask about the fai re MNS. RTE will contradict what the FAI say the 4m the turned down.

Charlie Darwin
05/11/2013, 2:44 PM
RTÉ's issue isn't with the cost of producing MNS (which is minuscule), but the damage to its viewership and advertising revenues caused by broadcasting it in prime time. There are also ideological motives behind their desire to get rid (GAA lobby being one).
This is exactly it. Don't forget too that MNS took up Against the Head's traditional 7pm slot last night, which must have caused a few tears in the Nugent household. RTE are still driven by ratings and advertising revenue, and the LOI just doesn't bring in the numbers of the English Premier League/GAA or the class background of ATH's viewers.

Dodge
05/11/2013, 4:51 PM
This is exactly it. Don't forget too that MNS took up Against the Head's traditional 7pm slot last night, which must have caused a few tears in the Nugent household.

MNS started at 8, and Against the Head was "promoted" into that 8pm slot when MNS moved to 7. 8pm is far more lucrative than 7pm in TV land

Charlie Darwin
05/11/2013, 4:59 PM
MNS started at 8, and Against the Head was "promoted" into that 8pm slot when MNS moved to 7. 8pm is far more lucrative than 7pm in TV land
Weird, Against the Head is back at 7 next week. Ryle must be devastated.

A face
05/11/2013, 6:28 PM
Is there any other country being affected by the new UEFA deal in the same way we are? Surely there aren't many but are there any worth comparing us with?

Macy
05/11/2013, 7:40 PM
Of course its the cost of production that's rte's issue. 7-8 is generally a filler slot on rte2, with cheap imports, usually repeats.

Whatever the fai lose in a bargaining position with centralised rights, they make up with cold hard cash. The more I think about it, the more I think the centralised contract will be used as an excuse. They could produce the programme themselves and sell it to either rte or tv3, even if it was at a loss.