PDA

View Full Version : Poland V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 19th November 2013 - Friendly - Poznań

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DannyInvincible
18/10/2013, 6:49 PM
An away friendly against Poland has been confirmed for the 19th of November: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/1018/481232-ireland-set-to-play-poland-in-poznan/

Ireland will play Poland in Poznan on 19 November, the Football Association of Ireland have announced.

Ireland last played Poland in Aviva Stadium in February 2013 when Ciaran Clark and Wes Hoolahan scored for a 2-0 win in front of a 43,000 strong crowd.

The match in Poznan will be the 25th meeting between the two countries in a record spanning back to 1938 that has seen Ireland win six, draw eight and lose 10.

The squad announcement will take place in early November before which Ray Houghton and Ruud Dokter will provide an update to the FAI Board of Management on the managerial appointment process.

DeLorean
12/11/2013, 5:01 PM
I see this match is live on Premier Sports. Is it on any other channel?

tetsujin1979
12/11/2013, 5:22 PM
doesn't look like it - http://www.live-footballontv.com/

Razors left peg
12/11/2013, 5:28 PM
Its on Setanta Ireland I think

back of the net
12/11/2013, 6:14 PM
Its on Setanta Ireland I think

http://www.setanta.com/ie/setanta-to-show-poland-friendly/

Stuttgart88
12/11/2013, 6:59 PM
That's no good to me! My son's new school has an event for parents on that night. I'll try and wriggle out of it.

Crosby87
13/11/2013, 1:40 AM
With your bad back you shouldn't be wriggling out of anything.

DannyInvincible
17/11/2013, 3:28 PM
Andy Reid has withdrawn from the squad due to a hamstring injury: http://www.independent.ie/sport/andy-reid-withdraws-from-irish-squad-for-poland-trip-with-a-hamstring-injury-29760057.html

I see this match is live on Premier Sports. Is it on any other channel?

Premier Sports, Setanta Ireland and Polsat Sport appear to be the only channels broadcasting the game: http://liveonsat.com/los__FT_friend_intl_ALL.php

Crosby87
17/11/2013, 3:41 PM
Just as I had Polstat sport added to my cable package! Usually its just cow tipping.

Stuttgart88
17/11/2013, 4:56 PM
Excellent. I have Premier Sport.

geysir
17/11/2013, 5:11 PM
I use to be able to get some Polsat channel on satellite in the mid 1990's. You could just about watch an English speaking film and hear the English being spoken in the background, whilst one Polish male, a leftover from the iron curtain days in a job for life, would speak all the lines in monotone Polish. Apparently this mono dub technique had its charm for Poles.

File under - useless barely connected ramblings.

Crosby87
17/11/2013, 7:57 PM
You know what that makes me think of? That scene in "Airplane!" where the different broadcasts in the different languages are talking about it and the one guy has a gun to his head?

Stuttgart88
18/11/2013, 11:42 AM
The media are saying that MON will be changing both personnel and tactics for Poland. Do people here think this will be subtle or more obvious?

Hoolahan looked a class act on Friday and was deployed in a role that suited him. I think this role can be just as vital in an away game with less possession. The wide guys did well and should be retained. My inclination would be to pick a similar XI, tell them to express themselves and be quick to press the abll, but to be cogniscent that the opposition is technically good so there'll be more time spent without the ball and to be mindful of counter-attacks. We'll probably be more geared towards counter-attacking ourselves, but I don't necessarily see personnel changes from Friday being necessary to achieve that.

I'll be very interested to see what MON does tomorrow. Part of me fears round pegs in square holes again tomorrow, as we have grown used to in the last ten years or so.

ArdeeBhoy
18/11/2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah, but that's what friendlies are for...

He has to experiment given it's probably 10 months until the next meaningful game. Hoping for a result, even a bore draw tomorrow and a few more along the way before next autumn. Against first and second seeds, it's our only way of getting a result away from home?

ifk101
18/11/2013, 12:01 PM
Not convinced he'll change it that much (to start off with anyways). Forde we know will start. Possible other changes would be in the backline as 3 defenders still in the squad weren't used Friday night. Ward's starting position in the team is most at risk imo.

geysir
18/11/2013, 12:14 PM
Is there somebody in the squad any better than Ward at LB?
Maybe Kelly?

Left backs doesn't grow overnight in a laboratory :)

ArdeeBhoy
18/11/2013, 12:20 PM
Would O'Brien have got a run if he'd been fit? Ward is pitiful. Surely we can do better than that?

ifk101
18/11/2013, 12:21 PM
Was thinking Robbie Keane could do a job at LB. Otherwise Wilson might be an option.

geysir
18/11/2013, 12:44 PM
Wilson is not any better at LB, though he is a useful option.

ifk101
18/11/2013, 12:53 PM
Good to know.

geysir
18/11/2013, 1:08 PM
Would O'Brien have got a run if he'd been fit? Ward is pitiful. Surely we can do better than that?
You can howl at the moon, it looked full last night. Unless somebody new is promoted and makes the grade, it's a choice between Ward, Wilson and Kelly. There is little chance we can depend upon O'Brien, it's a waste of squad space calling him up, he needs that time to rest and recover.
I didn't notice how Kelly did against Germany, that's maybe a good sign.
Wilson's liability factor at LB is not any less than Ward's.

Lionel Ritchie
19/11/2013, 1:17 PM
Wilson's liability factor at LB is not any less than Ward's. Inclined to agree with Geysir. Wilson is likely technically superior but he has an irritating tendency towards over-elaborating when the simpler course of action would serve himself and his team better.

Charlie Darwin
19/11/2013, 4:04 PM
Wilson is in no sense of the word technically superior to Ward. It's not even a contest. Ward's not a great player but the best of a limited lot at left full for us.

Lionel Ritchie
19/11/2013, 4:14 PM
I agree with you Ward is a better option at left full Charlie -and perhaps my "technically superior" should read "superior technically" :-) ...as in Wilson, in my view, has superior technique -that is close control, passing, keep-ee -up-ees even. But he then offsets all that by fannying around with the thing when he needs to use it earlier to avoid painting himself into a corner.

Lionel Ritchie
19/11/2013, 4:18 PM
By the by, according to ITV Roy the boy is commentating on Englands encounter with Germany tonight.

texidub
19/11/2013, 5:18 PM
By the by, according to ITV Roy the boy is commentating on Englands encounter with Germany tonight.

Really? Surely a mistake on their part?

FFS, that doesn't exactly fit with his image as someone focused on the job at hand to the exclusion of all else. Is he not being paid enough?

Fixer82
19/11/2013, 5:24 PM
Must be a mistake

Fixer82
19/11/2013, 5:25 PM
Maybe he was originally scheduled to do it before he got the Ireland job

paul_oshea
19/11/2013, 6:05 PM
I agree with you Ward is a better option at left full Charlie -and perhaps my "technically superior" should read "superior technically" :-) ...as in Wilson, in my view, has superior technique -that is close control, passing, keep-ee -up-ees even. But he then offsets all that by fannying around with the thing when he needs to use it earlier to avoid painting himself into a corner.

He has in no way, cost us to the same extent as Ward. Neither have been great, but Wilson gets it hands down. Ward is awful and his positioning and missing the runs and his mis timings are awful. I can't believe its still being debated in any shape or form.

In the earlier games he seemed to offer more going forward but not recently. Maybe under mon he will again. Ward currently offers a little more going forward but its marginal. It is by no means marginal in defensive frailities.

Charlie Darwin
19/11/2013, 6:08 PM
Apart from the Kazakh game, I can't think of any goals you could say were caused by Ward.

Stuttgart88
19/11/2013, 6:10 PM
He caused a goal against Estonia and Norn Iron's C team, both at home. By scoring.

But you're right, he's not an effective attacking full back.

paul_oshea
19/11/2013, 6:16 PM
Of course ye wouldnt remember Spain, or against Croatia?

geysir
19/11/2013, 6:19 PM
Wilson has a tissue of defensive frailties exposed ever since he lined up for the game against the Faroes.
He's like Santa Claus, bearing gifts to the opposition in most every game. The Faroes could only capatilise one of the two he offered them, how Sweden missed another of his, God only knows. But I suppose because Sweden missed the barn door from 2 paces with the resulting header, the mistake doesn't count.

paul_oshea
19/11/2013, 6:22 PM
Wasn't it CD and you who said Coleman is a lucky player for not conceding perhaps this is a case also. Not that i believe any of that silly stuff as backup to a flawed argument like its been used in the past.

Wilson, is a far better option than Ward. And neither are great.

Closed Account
19/11/2013, 6:24 PM
Forde

Kelly
St Ledger
Wilson
Ward

Walters
McCarthy
Green
McGeady

Long
Stokes

Fixer82
19/11/2013, 6:25 PM
Walters is captain according to Q102 on Twitter

CraftyToePoke
19/11/2013, 6:26 PM
The old striker on the wing lads .... or is it.

Charlie Darwin
19/11/2013, 6:27 PM
Wasn't it CD and you who said Coleman is a lucky player for not conceding perhaps this is a case also. Not that i believe any of that silly stuff as backup to a flawed argument like its been used in the past.

Wilson, is a far better option than Ward. And neither are great.
Well I said he was lucky not to concede penalties considering he was constantly pulling his opponent's shirt in the box. Fouling somebody and making it look like you did nothing is probably as much skill as luck though. I think Ward, for most of his Ireland career, was a disciplined defender who did his job and nothing more.

geysir
19/11/2013, 6:34 PM
I'm getting lost here. Wison is supposedly far better option than Ward. Both are supposedly poor but Wilson is a bit luckier, therefore we can tolerate his defensive frailties which have only led directly to one goal conceded in 4 or 5 qualifiers games?

paul_oshea
19/11/2013, 6:36 PM
Its easily done geysir, its happening more often, probably related to age actually.

geysir
19/11/2013, 6:43 PM
Forde

Kelly
St Ledger
Wilson
Ward

Walters
McCarthy
Green
McGeady

Long
Stokes

We were promised a 4-4-1-1.
I'm deflated.

paul_oshea
19/11/2013, 6:45 PM
I hope its not straightforward 4-4-2....

stokes could be sitting behind Long.

I like McCarthy and Green in midfield. But ive also been impressed with whelan in the last few games.

geysir
19/11/2013, 7:00 PM
If O'Neill can get that line up to function against Poland, then the sky is the limit.
Walters at RM?
The honeymoon could be cut short tonight.

SwanVsDalton
19/11/2013, 7:05 PM
Swap Stokes for Keane and it's a Trap team with a centre half injury crisis.

Fixer82
19/11/2013, 7:06 PM
I hope its not straightforward 4-4-2....

stokes could be sitting behind Long.

I like McCarthy and Green in midfield. But ive also been impressed with whelan in the last few games.

Agree. He probably feels he owes a lot to Trap for giving his debut and sticking by him but since Trap got the bullet it appears Glenn is now playing his own game

Razors left peg
19/11/2013, 7:07 PM
I hate to see Walters on the wing, but Im staying positive. I just hope we play with the same intensity as Friday night and dont start hoofing the ball aimlessly again

SwanVsDalton
19/11/2013, 7:09 PM
Optimistically Walters could play like McGeady last Friday - dropping inside, allowing Kelly to overlap. Possibly could swap fluidly with Stokes too. As long as they don't play like thumping the ball to Jon's head all game is the only way to go forward, then I don't mind too much. I doubt Walters would be there at all without Brady and Pikington being out.

Junior
19/11/2013, 7:51 PM
anyone got a decent stream?

DannyInvincible
19/11/2013, 7:54 PM
There may be logic behind the "homage" to Trap. We shouldn't forget that Trap's tactics did generally serve us well in away games. Wasn't his away record the best of any manager we've had? The lethargic home performances were his downfall.

I think McGeady will blossom under O'Neill. He looks to be playing with a lot more confidence and freedom to roam inward.

DannyInvincible
19/11/2013, 7:55 PM
anyone got a decent stream?

I'm watching on this but the sound and picture quality aren't the best: http://www.coolsport.tv/stream2.html

Any better quality streams would be gladly welcomed.