PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 memorables things that happened in Paris

onenilgameover
13/10/2004, 10:34 AM
1. The sheer amount of fans in Paris most noticable at the end of the match when the French legged it and we all stayed and only pockets of seats were able to be seen.....Unforgetable....

2. The walk up to the stadium.....

3. The 'Thiery Henry' you havin a laugh'.... chant never grew tiresome when interchanged with 'the weaker Roy Keane'...

4. The French National Anthem...great crack all together....

5. John 0'Shea's miss....I was 15 rows up directly in front of him. He should have put it away.....

I missed the eifle tower meet up so I don't know what that was like. I do know it was raining quite a bit during the day so it may have been a wet one....What were other peoples top memories....................

Colm55
13/10/2004, 10:53 AM
1. The sheer amount of fans in Paris most noticable at the end of the match when the French legged it and we all stayed and only pockets of seats were able to be seen.....Unforgetable....

2. The walk up to the stadium.....

3. The 'Thiery Henry' you havin a laugh'.... chant never grew tiresome when interchanged with 'the weaker Roy Keane'...

4. The French National Anthem...great crack all together....

5. John 0'Shea's miss....I was 15 rows up directly in front of him. He should have put it away.....

I missed the eifle tower meet up so I don't know what that was like. I do know it was raining quite a bit during the day so it may have been a wet one....What were other peoples top memories....................

All of the above and:

The japanese tourists in the queue for going up the eiffel tower joining in on the fun by attempting to play keepy uppy with the rest of us!

Stuttgart88
13/10/2004, 11:12 AM
Sorry to be a crank, but I hated the Thierry Henry You're having a Laugh chant

That's an English expression & chant, and quite frankly it means nothing. I think our chants should be cleverer than that. :)

zinedineontour
13/10/2004, 11:38 AM
Sorry to be a crank, but I hated the Thierry Henry You're having a Laugh chant

That's an English expression & chant, and quite frankly it means nothing. I think our chants should be cleverer than that. :)

somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed me thinks.. Funny chant but think que sera sera is the best for getting the crowd singing together.. The French Anthem was prob the moment of the weekend for me

Peadar
13/10/2004, 12:12 PM
I hated the Thierry Henry You're having a Laugh chant
That's an English expression & chant, and quite frankly it means nothing.

It was simple, catchy, everyone joined in and it helped create atmosphere.
Some people are never happy.
Get a life!
The majority of our chants are adapted from those knicked from another club or country.
When you come up with something original and clever pass it on and we'll sing it for you. Until you do, shut it!

macdermesser
13/10/2004, 12:27 PM
It was simple, catchy, everyone joined in and it helped create atmosphere.
Some people are never happy.
Get a life!
The majority of our chants are adapted from those knicked from another club or country.
When you come up with something original and clever pass it on and we'll sing it for you. Until you do, shut it!

that's a bit strong, telling him to shut it. He's entitled to his opinion .. and I actually agree with him to a certain extent. I don't like it either when we starting singing songs with a stage English accent "yer aving a larf".

But I also agree with you in that songs that are simple and catchy are the best ones for creating an atmosphere .. as someone else suggested on another thread, maybe its time for an Ultras crowd to organise the chants, as opposed to the FAI trying to get us to sing DJ Ötzi songs.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2004, 12:44 PM
that's a bit strong, telling him to shut it. He's entitled to his opinion .. and I actually agree with him to a certain extent. I don't like it either when we starting singing songs with a stage English accent "yer aving a larf".

Thank you. The stage English accent was exactly my point.

As for "some people are never happy" - 120-odd posts and handful of minor complaints?

soylent green
13/10/2004, 12:51 PM
as opposed to the FAI trying to get us to sing DJ Ötzi songs.

What's wrong with DJ Otzi and Status Quo being played at all the Lansdowne Road matches? These songs add to the already electric atmosphere. I really don't enjoy the match unless Declan King tells me over the PA to "make some noise" or tells me to start a Mexican Wave. I'm also really hoping that Georgie Murphy gets to sing his Death March version of "The Fields of Athenry" tonight. ;)

Seriously, that stadium announcer needs to be hit over the head with the big heavy bell yer man brings into the South Terrace.

Drogman.
13/10/2004, 1:06 PM
Well the best memory I have from Paris (And believe me there aren't many :eek: ) would have to be the on the saturday afternoon around the corner from the Eiffel Tower there was a pub where loads of Irish gathered and then at about 6:45pm about 30 people decided to go to the stadium on the metro.

Well, we all just carried our cans singing our way into the metro station and the security and ticket checkers just opened the gates and let us threw as there was no stopping us. Then we all took over a carriage and sang all the way to the Stade de France. Bloody brilliant it was, I'll never forget that.

tiktok
13/10/2004, 1:09 PM
top five in chronological order:

1. Walking around the stadium beforehand, Green everywhere :cool:
2. The French national anthem :D
3. The justified reaction to Pires' antics :mad:
4. Que sera Sera, great chant and it's been too long :)
5. Finding cheap beer :eek:

mjpcc
13/10/2004, 1:42 PM
Got back home last night. Head is still in Paris.

top 5.

#1. The game - greaaaaaaaaaat, Athmosphere fantastique, crack monumental. :D

#2. My Nephew and I went to Japan and Korea for 2002. On the boat to
Korea we met up with a great character Billy and had great fun together in Korea. We all met in Paris, first time since. Brillant... bloody brillant. :D

#3. The Refuge cafe on Rue Lemark - opposite the Metro near my hotel. I went in there to have a quiet drink on Friday evening around 8 because I could watch the Metro while waiting for my nephew to arrive. Left the place ****ed at two thirty. Great bar, everybody into footlball, they hung our flags, wore our Irish hats all evening - the bartender Danielle still has one. Great introduction to Paris.
;)
#4. Paris itself. Walked around the center fro 6 hours non stop without getting tired or bored. Found the people friendly. They seemed to enjoy
the occassion and were always smiling when groups of green went by singing drinking whatever. :cool:

#5. The sheer number of fans enjoying themselves. Unbelievable. I've lived abroad (Canada) for 24 years and it's great to interact with everyone at such a great occassion - just does not happen in North America. Best time since Japan/Korea. Roll on Germany. :ball:

Hello to anyone out there I met along the way. Now listening to a CD I bought of a five piece band playing in the metro.

Dillo
13/10/2004, 1:52 PM
1. O' Sullivans Irish bar in Paris. What a spot! ;) Meeting Down Bird (if ye knew her ye'd understand) and others including Darren Frehill, Larry O'Gorman :D

2. Walking down the Champs De Elysee with De Town jersey on when a lad shouts "C'mon De Town!" from the window of his car! :cool:

3. The Stad De France- some arena, colour and noise! :ball:

DonegalDub
13/10/2004, 1:55 PM
SOME BEST MOMENTS1. The look on my 12 year old son's face when we got into the stadium
2. The French National anthem
3. Walking out of a Vietnamese restaurant because he refused to give us forks instead of chopsticks...(in Paris!?!)
4. Meeting up with my mate again three hours after he missed the Eurostar, in The Harp balancing a pint of his head
5. Meeting a hungover Celtic/Cork fan at six in the morning trying to get to his mates who had slept in a car parked somewhere in Pigalle and helping him find them

Docboy
13/10/2004, 1:57 PM
maybe its time for an Ultras crowd to organise the chants, as opposed to the FAI trying to get us to sing DJ Ötzi songs.[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall being handed a leaflet at the Albania game last year of chants compiled by National League fans which included "C'mon on Ireland" and "I'm Irish 'til I die" which are directly lifted from the Inger-land fans. Not an image that we should be looking to follow.

And if handing out leaflets to the non-EL fans isn't condescending I don't know what is.Similar to Today FM handing out the words to Amhrain na Bhfiann with ads for their station before 2002 WC games needless to say were thrown right back at them. :ball:

Closed Account 2
13/10/2004, 3:10 PM
Anyone else notice them putting the Israeli flag (instead of ours) on the TV screen in the stadium before the kick-off, and the U2 song they played.

koneinc
13/10/2004, 3:34 PM
Anyone else notice them putting the Israeli flag (instead of ours) on the TV screen in the stadium before the kick-off, and the U2 song they played.

Yeah I caught that, it got a right booing!

My favourite moment was the French Anthem, great craic! :D

Seamuslawless
13/10/2004, 3:39 PM
Some classic moments, loooking down clichy blvd and seeing the sea of green white and orange, or the groups on the metro vents having the tri-colours flying vertically, Dublin airport on Friday morning and Sunday evening, outside the stadium before the game and the atmosphere inside.....

One of the best weekends yet :D

Peadar
13/10/2004, 3:56 PM
needless to say were thrown right back at them. :ball:

Come on Mr. Ideas, lets hear what you propose in order to help the atmosphere? No doubt you've got much better ideas than those you're knocking?

Stuttgart88
13/10/2004, 4:08 PM
Jaysus, what's eating you today? Can't anyone comment anymore?

Peadar
13/10/2004, 4:15 PM
Jaysus, what's eating you today? Can't anyone comment anymore?

That's all people seem to do.
Mouth off about what others are singing or what they're doing to help create an atmosphere. It would be more beneficial if people put their money where their mouth is and did something pro-active for a change.

What's eating me? I'm stuck in England and can't get to the game. I'd even bring myself to sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" if I was able to get to the game tonight and I thought it would create an atmosphere.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2004, 4:32 PM
I'm in Ingerland too so I'm with you on that point.

To be honest I was pretty miffed about your response this morning. I simply feel (as does Docboy) that we should avoid being clones of the English fans and I don't think that's something to be dissed.

What would I suggest instead? All the other excellent songs we sang were magnificent.

Leaving work now. Enjoy the game. I look forward to reading all the comments tomorrow.

Docboy
02/11/2004, 6:15 PM
Don't need to be given the words to my own national anthem,thanks anyway!

TheJamaicanP.M.
02/11/2004, 6:43 PM
The following 5 are in no particular order:
1. O'Sullivan's Bar on the Friday night.
2. Meeting Downbird and Betty.
3. The French National Anthem.
4. Buying every shop's stock of Boomerang - looks like fat frog in a bottle, tastes like frog's p!ss in a bottle. It did the job though.
5. Seeing my mate rob a €15 umbrella from a stall on the Saturday when it was raining heavily (you just had to be there)!

Btw, I loved "Thierry Henry, ur havin' a laugh". The song is still vibrating round my head! :D

Cowboy
02/11/2004, 10:08 PM
Thank you. The stage English accent was exactly my point.

well "we dont pay no poll tax " chant in wembley sounded good in an english accent

Cowboy
02/11/2004, 10:13 PM
I simply feel (as does Docboy) that we should avoid being clones of the English fans and I don't think that's something to be dissed.

I agree wholeheartedly

on_me_head_son
03/11/2004, 4:28 AM
A lot of people have the French National Anthem as one of the high points of the trip to Paris. Mind telling me why please?
Thanks in advance.

macdermesser
03/11/2004, 9:30 AM
A lot of people have the French National Anthem as one of the high points of the trip to Paris. Mind telling me why please?
Thanks in advance.

A case of you had to be there.. I would hazard a guess that it was first time ever that an away support sung the home teams anthem in such a jovial atmosphere .. at least in France. It just summed up all that is good about Irish people really .. and makes you not lose faith that romantic ireland is with O'leary in the grave.

there is a mp3 file of it on irishvibe.com

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/11/2004, 9:45 AM
A case of you had to be there.. I would hazard a guess that it was first time ever that an away support sung the home teams anthem in such a jovial atmosphere .. at least in France. It just summed up all that is good about Irish people really .. and makes you not lose faith that romantic ireland is with O'leary in the grave.

there is a mp3 file of it on irishvibe.com

Unlike the English who drowned out the Marseilles with their booing when the teams met at Euro 2004.

Colm55
03/11/2004, 9:56 AM
I've got a one and a half minute mpg of it alright, a classic, played it back to some of my freinds who weren't there and they looked at me as if i had two heads, its a simple case as mentioned earlier that you had to be there,

$Leon$
03/11/2004, 10:09 AM
4. Buying every shop's stock of Boomerang - looks like fat frog in a bottle, tastes like frog's p!ss in a bottle. It did the job though.
:D
had some of that stuff meself not bad but had to drink it quickly bit of an after taste da bigger da mouthfuls the less after tastes you had to endure :)

Steviewonder
04/11/2004, 12:20 AM
I've got a one and a half minute mpg of it alright, a classic, played it back to some of my freinds who weren't there and they looked at me as if i had two heads, its a simple case as mentioned earlier that you had to be there,

Didnt make it to Paris, (this whole 'working for a living' crap has to stop!) but I too downloaded the mp3, & loved it! got all teary & 'escape-to-victory'-ish..... then played it for my mates in work , who all stared at me blankly.... maybe its not a case of having to be there....just a state of mind...

macdermesser
05/11/2004, 7:06 AM
where is it downloadable from irishvibe???

can someone tell me where to get it?

thanks

Here (http://www.irishvibe.com/downloads-cat4.html)

the declan drake commentary there is also worth a listen .. hillarious..