PDA

View Full Version : LOI Players in Kings National Squad

A face
09/10/2013, 9:06 AM
http://www.thescore.ie/noel-king-airtricity-league-players-ireland-training-1119932-Oct2013/

Dundalk’s Richie Towell, Kurtis Byrne, Andy Boyle and John Sullivan and David Elebert of Shamrock Rovers will have a session with the senior squad today.

Mr A
09/10/2013, 9:08 AM
King certainly making all the populist moves. Bringing back the exiled players, dropping the unpopular ones and now throwing a bone the league's way. We'll see how his team performs but he has certainly nailed the PR aspect.

Dodge
09/10/2013, 9:49 AM
Yeah, good move.

Other players/clubs were approached but turned the request down (on the basis of preparing for important league games this weekend). Dundalk clearly didn't mind. Rovers released their 4th choice centre half.

Nice pick me up for the Dudnalk players who were clearly down after the weekend.

El-Pietro
09/10/2013, 10:07 AM
John Sullivan? The ex Shels midfielder?

White Horse
09/10/2013, 10:35 AM
John Sullivan? The ex Shels midfielder?

Yeah, he's been playing right back this season and has done well.

Dundalk released the players to give them a lift after a very difficult weekend. Good man management by Kenny.

Sam_Heggy
09/10/2013, 12:08 PM
Great move by Kinger. Can't really lose with that move.

Mad Moose
09/10/2013, 12:28 PM
Massive respect for Noel King on this. A league of Ireland inclusion with nothing in the world to lose. Good prospects with a chance to mix it with more experienced players and a taster for these players in terms of what they need to do to perhaps get future call ups and perhaps some grounding for them in terms of where they really are as opposed to where they sometimes think they are. There are some fantastic young players, unavailable understandably this week, who i'd love to see included in furture squads if only for the inclusion itself.

Great PR move though and it'll be a shame if the future appointment returns to a backs to the League of Ireland outlook.

Straightstory
09/10/2013, 3:27 PM
Let's keep him as manager!

Jofspring
09/10/2013, 4:56 PM
Similar to what's done in the rugby. There is a training squad which gets cut down to a final squad. Always thought it would be a good idea to include some LOI players in the training squads for reasons mentioned above.

sheao
09/10/2013, 5:30 PM
Let's keep him as manager!

He should have some involvement in the management staff anyway.
He's doing all the right things in fairness to him since he took temporary charge.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
09/10/2013, 9:35 PM
Hats off to Noel King.

It would be great to see things go one step further and see a player receive a full call up.

A face
10/10/2013, 8:23 AM
Well i dunno if barstoolers/journos would feel the same. I think none of them are saying anything right now because they don't know who he is, and they are waiting for a result before they can comment. And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him. That's a big problem when picking any manager .... the football viewing public is fairly stunted when they have to think beyond SkySports, its not an attach on them, its just stating a stumbling block.

Dodge
10/10/2013, 9:24 AM
Well i dunno if barstoolers/journos would feel the same. I think none of them are saying anything right now because they don't know who he is, and they are waiting for a result before they can comment. And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him. That's a big problem when picking any manager .... the football viewing public is fairly stunted when they have to think beyond SkySports, its not an attach on them, its just stating a stumbling block.

Its quite the opposite actually. LOI fans KNOW he's a ****e manager. "Barstoolers" aren't sure yet

Good luck to him and all but there's a reason he couldn't get a job in the LOI for years...

Fivesilver
10/10/2013, 4:37 PM
Jesus, Dodge, thank god someone interrupted the love-in. I'm a LoI fan through and through, don't have an English team I'm particularly interested in, and would rather spend a cold evening at Belfield than whoop it up at a World Cup qualifier. But this whole King thing is a joke. He was never any cop as a manager. What 'accomplishments' does he have? The media descriptions are great. A "real football man" - what does that even mean?
This idea that domestic football fans should feel gratified because he throws in a few token players for a meaningless game is ludicrous.
Just for the record, I don't think any LoI players are up to the standard for international football (yes, there's been worse on Trap's teams, but the alternative to Paul Green is Wes Hoolahan, not Ronan Finn). But I don't follow our league because it's the best in the world. I follow it because it's our league.

Mad Moose
10/10/2013, 6:22 PM
Jesus, Dodge, thank god someone interrupted the love-in. I'm a LoI fan through and through, don't have an English team I'm particularly interested in, and would rather spend a cold evening at Belfield than whoop it up at a World Cup qualifier. But this whole King thing is a joke. He was never any cop as a manager. What 'accomplishments' does he have? The media descriptions are great. A "real football man" - what does that even mean?
This idea that domestic football fans should feel gratified because he throws in a few token players for a meaningless game is ludicrous.
Just for the record, I don't think any LoI players are up to the standard for international football (yes, there's been worse on Trap's teams, but the alternative to Paul Green is Wes Hoolahan, not Ronan Finn). But I don't follow our league because it's the best in the world. I follow it because it's our league.

I think but yourself and Dodge have moved away from the thread title. I remember Noel King's time at Finn Harps but that doesn't mean anything in relation to actual thread title here. Nobody expects King to be a long term option and this is about the next two games. Bringing in decent players, of which the LoI can be very proud of producing so many, is a very good move in PR terms as well as for some players who rightfully hold ambition of one day been internationals.

There's no love in here. A simple respectful acknowledgement of a move we all welcome and something you'd be crying about if it hadn't happened. Stick with the topic on hand and if ya can't then start a thread elsewhere.

TonyD
10/10/2013, 8:31 PM

I couldn't agree more with this post. I'd just amend your last sentence slightly, I don't follow our league, I follow my team, because they are my team. For this reason Sunday is far, far more important than Friday night to me.

Fivesilver
10/10/2013, 8:42 PM
something you'd be crying about if it hadn't happened.

An interesting assumption. I have no desire to see players put in the squad for PR reasons if they're not good enough.

JC_GUFC
11/10/2013, 6:59 AM
I think too much has been made of this. It's not like they were called into the squad and if a player had to drop out injured they were next in line. They just had to fill a few spots in a training game.

Dodge
11/10/2013, 9:05 AM
Bringing in decent players, of which the LoI can be very proud of producing so many, is a very good move in PR terms as well as for some players who rightfully hold ambition of one day been internationals.

There's no love in here. A simple respectful acknowledgement of a move we all welcome and something you'd be crying about if it hadn't happened. Stick with the topic on hand and if ya can't then start a thread elsewhere.
With respect, at least 2 of the players aren't even good by LOI standards (Sullivan, Elebert). Why should LOI fans be proud of the 4th best centre half on the team in fifth place in the league? They were brought in as bodies, no more, no less.

If you read my original post I welcome the move, but people need to settle down on the praise of King for bringing the LOI back into the national fold. The move can't do any harm, but I certainly wouldn't cry if it didn't happen again (just like I haven't cried about lack of LOI players in the squad/training games before)

A face
11/10/2013, 10:10 AM

Folks, i wrote that on my phone, i should have edited it later on. My point "And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him." should have read "And it doesn't matter how accomplished any manager is, if he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him." .... I'm saying that there are loads of managers out there who would be better that Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy with respect to picking the best options available to us, they would need to be involved in actively looking at players and their potential. I just don't believe Trap every got near it, he made absolutely no effort unearthing 'a diamond in the rough' and i think we need a manager who can. I don't think most of the names being thrown about will be able to do it either.

I know King isn't the answer to be fair, i remember him when at Harps and wasn't there something about him not going to training, only for games or something like that. I think as regards the other names, i dont think the average EPL fans opinion should carry much weight, i think we need to look all over Europe not just UK etc.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 5:24 PM
With respect, at least 2 of the players aren't even good by LOI standards (Sullivan, Elebert). Why should LOI fans be proud of the 4th best centre half on the team in fifth place in the league? They were brought in as bodies, no more, no less.

If you read my original post I welcome the move, but people need to settle down on the praise of King for bringing the LOI back into the national fold. The move can't do any harm, but I certainly wouldn't cry if it didn't happen again (just like I haven't cried about lack of LOI players in the squad/training games before)
I wouldn't go overboard either but I think it's a positive move for the national coach, caretaker or not, to acknowledge the domestic league and to establish some sort of connection even if he's not calling up players.

sadloserkid
15/10/2013, 6:54 PM
And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him.

I must have missed Trap, Staunton and Kerr coaching in the EPL. :) McCarthy came from the Championship too no?

marinobohs
16/10/2013, 11:08 AM
Have advocated the resumption of LOI players in Irish training squads in other threads ( there was a time it was commonplace) but agree it should be in right context. Young developing players should be the focus ( to immerse them in professional atmosphere ) and it should be seen as an achievement to get one of these spots, not just filling in as bodies (as Dodge described it).

I seem to recall the old system was two players per squad and think this is about right.

Kinger not up to international management. Delighted for him that he got the chance for two games but delighted for the country that it will be only the two games.