PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany(A) 11th October & Kazakhstan(H) 15th October 2013 - World Cup '14 Q

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 10:22 AM
Today's Indo is saying Robbie Brady (hernia operation) is to miss both games, Gibson is likely to return to the squad while Stephen Ireland will wait until the New Year to make a decision. Kevin Doyle and Andy Reid are unlikely to be selected and they haven't a rashers about Stokes.

Dunne and O'Shea are both suspended while Walters is an injury doubt.

I read elsewhere that Wilson will be considered for a CB berth.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/brady-to-miss-qualifiers-as-king-rules-out-ireland-return-29620560.html

Squad announced later today I think.

ArdeeBhoy
30/09/2013, 10:38 AM
Think I'd take a 0-3 defeat and 2-1 win now...

The important game is the Kazakh one. Koln is a write-off at this stage.

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 11:03 AM
From the Germany game I just want see some positive signs. Signs that perhaps 442 need not be the be-all and end-all, that the team can be trusted to play the ball to feet at the appropriate times and that players that Trap may not have trusted have it in them to play a leading role. I can't imagine Koln being anything other than a backs to the wall job but there may still be room for some to shine.

I'd like to see the same signs of progress against Kazakhstan, but also with a win.

the doc
30/09/2013, 11:27 AM
Today's Indo is saying Robbie Brady (hernia operation) is to miss both games, Gibson is likely to return to the squad while Stephen Ireland will wait until the New Year to make a decision. Kevin Doyle and Andy Reid are unlikely to be selected and they haven't a rashers about Stokes.

Dunne and O'Shea are both suspended while Walters is an injury doubt.

I read elsewhere that Wilson will be considered for a CB berth.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/brady-to-miss-qualifiers-as-king-rules-out-ireland-return-29620560.html

Squad announced later today I think.

Ireland should not be brought back into the squad.
He turned his back on Ireland which was very disrespectful to both the players and the fans.

It's an honour to play for Ireland, he thinks he's above all that.

Lets move on from him and join together and focus on our next few games and then prepare for the Euros.

Crosby87
30/09/2013, 12:26 PM
I'm rooting for Khazhakhsthanh.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/SuperheroDjZ/bth_borat.jpg

Serb
30/09/2013, 12:42 PM
The centre back situation is precarious. With both first choice defenders gone, we're looking at Ciaran Clark and... who knows? St. Ledger, who played for Leicester's under 21s a week ago, could be in line for a recall. There's mention of Marc Wilson moving into CB but I think McShane and Clark would be the partnership before trying Wilson in there. Alex Pearce is the only other centre back that I can think of that has feature for us in the past year. Either way, we're probably looking at a new pairing. Definitely something to be worried about when facing one of the best teams in the world.

the doc
30/09/2013, 1:02 PM
The centre back situation is precarious. With both first choice defenders gone, we're looking at Ciaran Clark and... who knows? St. Ledger, who played for Leicester's under 21s a week ago, could be in line for a recall. There's mention of Marc Wilson moving into CB but I think McShane and Clark would be the partnership before trying Wilson in there. Alex Pearce is the only other centre back that I can think of that has feature for us in the past year. Either way, we're probably looking at a new pairing. Definitely something to be worried about when facing one of the best teams in the world.

St Ledger is one if Irelands first choice defenders too, I wouldn't bet against him playing in Cologne and Dub.

passinginterest
30/09/2013, 1:15 PM
Squad: Forde, Westwood, Randolph, O’Brien, St Ledger, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, Clark, McShane, Gibson, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, A Reid, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Brady, Quinn, Hoolahan, Long, Keane, Walters, Doyle, Stokes.

IsMiseSean
30/09/2013, 1:18 PM
No Sammon?? #KingOut

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 1:19 PM
So far so good!

ArdeeBhoy
30/09/2013, 1:21 PM
#Kingin

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 1:22 PM
Dunne and O'Shea to report after Germany game.

NeverFeltBetter
30/09/2013, 1:25 PM
Gibson, Reid, good. Doyle, not so much.

Is Cox injured or dropped?

paul_oshea
30/09/2013, 1:38 PM
No he is sh1t didn't you know?!

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 1:42 PM
O'Dea, Keogh, Cox and Sammon seem to be the Trap picks that didn't make the cut. No Meyler though. Injury or just didn't make it? He'd be marginal for me anyway and I'm glad Stephen Quinn gets another shot.

I feel (hope) that King has a better grasp what roles potentially suit these players.

With the CB situation perilous I was half expecting Shane Duffy to get a call up, and maybe Conor Henderson as an outside chance as well.

SwanVsDalton
30/09/2013, 1:49 PM
With the CB situation perilous I was half expecting Shane Duffy to get a call up, and maybe Conor Henderson as an outside chance as well.

Or Richard Keogh. Unless he's injured or something.

Quite pleased to see Andy Reid back. Possibly no love lost between Paul Green or Darron Gibson on the training ground though.

ArdeeBhoy
30/09/2013, 1:55 PM
Doyle won't play;he barely gets a game for Wov-les these days. O'Dea would have been ano.centre-back option, though almost irrelevant who plays v.Germany...

p2011
30/09/2013, 1:58 PM
What I would expect/like to see from these games:

- An alternative to 4-4-2, especially against Germany. Ideally Hoolahan behind a mobile striker.
- Less hoofball, and an attempt to keep the ball for short periods in the game, again especially against Germany
- A team that looks like it knows what it is doing from dead balls. Our corners and frees have been poor in recent months
- A deserved recall for Andy Reid, who is in good form for Forest. Gibson too, but not yet Ireland until he shows some form over a few weeks. I don't see how Sammon (on the bench in a poor Derby side) should be in our squads.

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 2:11 PM
I'd like to see Whelan dropped too, over and above what I posted earlier.

Yard of Pace
30/09/2013, 2:19 PM
I would LOVE to see Whelan dropped. 50 caps. A travesty. Did good the odd time but his day has come and gone.

CraftyToePoke
30/09/2013, 2:28 PM
O'Dea, Keogh, Cox and Sammon seem to be the Trap picks that didn't make the cut. No Meyler though. Injury or just didn't make it?

Was on the bench for Hull Saturday but didn't feature. Is Hendrick injured ? He didn't feature at all for Derby. Beyond those two, who are, I'd agree, marginal, who might have been in ahead of Whelan in your view?

IsMiseSean
30/09/2013, 2:34 PM
I think Hendrick broke his ankle, definitely out for a few months anyway.

Duggie
30/09/2013, 2:35 PM
Was on the bench for Hull Saturday but didn't feature. Is Hendrick injured ? He didn't feature at all for Derby. Beyond those two, who are, I'd agree, marginal, who might have been in ahead of Whelan in your view?

Ya hendrick injured, i think hes out for 2-3 months. Surgery on his ankle. have high hopes for him, hope he keeps progressing the way he has up to now. I think people are been a little harsh on Whelan, hes quite a good passer and a decent player, he defo deserves to be in the squad at least. the way we have been playing hasnt helped his game in the last while. Dont really think Doyle deserved his place now though, league 1. i think he may have 1 goal this season. little disappointed stephen ireland didnt come back this time, would add a bit of quality even with all his baggage. i think im ready to forgive him....i think.

Serb
30/09/2013, 2:41 PM
St Ledger is one if Irelands first choice defenders too, I wouldn't bet against him playing in Cologne and Dub.

My Clark - McShane pairing was meant as, if St. Ledger hadn't made the squad, I think King would still try and pair some actual centre backs together before looking to start a left back (but let's face it, a midfielder) like Wilson in the heart of the defence. I know you're a big fan of St. Ledger but I don't think he's one of our first choices. He's third choice, but offers far more of a goal scoring threat than O'Shea, so could feature against the Kazakhs for that reason.

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 2:46 PM
Who might have been in ahead of Whelan in your view?
Probably nobody else. I wouldn't consider Andrews for a recall.

The number of feasible permutations from that squad selected is fascinating. Who knows what King's thinking will be?

Gibson, McCarthy, Whelan and Green as the deeper-lying or more conventional midfielder options, maybe Wilson too.

Reid and Hoolahan could play centrally or as an inside-out wide man comning in from the wing to add something to the final third (if we ever get there).

Quinn could play as a wide-left midfielder, either on the left of a 3 or left of a 5 in a tight role.

McGeady, McClean and Pilkington could all play "properly" wide.

I think there's an outside chance Coleman could be played at RHM, with O'Brien and Wilson playing full-back.

I expect Sledge and Clark to play CB and for them both to act like grown ups :)

paul_oshea
30/09/2013, 2:56 PM
So if Kinger can get us away from Koln with a less than -5 goal difference, he would then surely be better than Trap, especially considering both our first choice CBs are not playing.

jbyrne
30/09/2013, 3:52 PM
So if Kinger can get us away from Koln with a less than -5 goal difference, he would then surely be better than Trap, especially considering both our first choice CBs are not playing.

had to check that i wasnt viewing the waffle filled rte.ie comments board when i read this

OwlsFan
30/09/2013, 5:28 PM
I think we should forget about comparisons with the Trap era. He's now sleeping with the fishes so we move on to the next manager. Otherwise the debate goes back to the old arguments.

Cox instead of Doyle and Meyler instead of Quinn are probably the only ones who might justifiably feel aggrieved but borderline.

I am disappointed that King rang Ireland only for him (yet another Irish manager) to be rebuffed. When the new manager is appointed, the circus will start again.

So a new dawn (well evening now) and as the ancient Romans used to say ad astra per aspera.

dr_peepee
30/09/2013, 6:02 PM
Disappointed in myself for half hoping Stephen Ireland might realise this as the ideal opportunity it is to break the ice.... But his response alone reminded me what an absolute ****in' Clown he is!!!

Glad to see Reid, Stokes and Gibson back..

Stuttgart88
30/09/2013, 7:16 PM
I'm glad to see dr_peepee back.

I wouldnt be one to be sympathetic to Stephen Ireland but this was all I saw on rte.ie:

King also confirmed that he has been in contact with Stephen Ireland's camp and that the Stoke midfielder feels he is not ready to return to the set-up at the moment but indicated that he would like to return at some stage.

If the rationale was "let me get re-established at club level first" then I'd be OK with that.

If the rationale was "let me see who the new gaffer is" I'd be less OK with it.

geysir
30/09/2013, 8:54 PM
If King is part of the new dawn about to hit Irish intl football, then we are looking at pride and optimism restored in some shape. If the new dawn isn't until the new manager is appointed, then King will be our darkest hour.

Considering our CH situation, why was Pearce not selected, is he not up to scratch?
I've heard that Andrews is doing very well at Brighton, I'd have a fit Andrews in ahead of a few there.
Just wanted to get in a few moans, in reaction to the season of good will vibes to King :)

paul_oshea
30/09/2013, 10:01 PM
My remark was tongue in cheek. Ya we could do with another one in there.

geysir
30/09/2013, 10:11 PM
My remark was tongue in cheek. Ya we could do with another one in there.
Another darkest hour?

ArdeeBhoy
30/09/2013, 11:10 PM
Stephen Ireland might get back in, but he's going to be only around 2-3 years max I reckon even if he does.

Not going to make very much difference, but I suppose if he puts a shift in, we might ​forgive him. In time.

ArdeeBhoy
01/10/2013, 12:15 AM
I'm rooting for Khazhakhsthanh.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/SuperheroDjZ/bth_borat.jpg

Why?
:confused:

Supreme feet
01/10/2013, 4:01 AM
Damien Delaney can consider himself unlucky. One of few Irish players playing regular EPL football. I know he has a knock, but he's rated 50-50 for the weekend, so should be fit by the international window.

Paddy Garcia
01/10/2013, 7:38 AM
If King is part of the new dawn about to hit Irish intl football, then we are looking at pride and optimism restored in some shape. If the new dawn isn't until the new manager is appointed, then King will be our darkest hour.

Considering our CH situation, why was Pearce not selected, is he not up to scratch?
I've heard that Andrews is doing very well at Brighton, I'd have a fit Andrews in ahead of a few there.
Just wanted to get in a few moans, in reaction to the season of good will vibes to King :)

Agree 100% about Pearce - poor omission by Trap and exp. poor given current availability.

Stuttgart88
01/10/2013, 8:17 AM
I'm not convinced yet by Pearce. Delaney is a joy to watch, all heart on sleeve stuff but maybe a bit too rustic for the likes of Germany.

SSL has gone straight into the team from injury before and in my opinion has yet to disappoint. Clark is looking good at club level. Then we have Wilson, Kelly and McShane who could all do a job if necessary. And let's not forget that the last time O'Brien played CB for Ireland we held Germany scoreless!

Ok, so CB actually is a worry.

geysir
01/10/2013, 9:09 AM
I'm not convinced yet by Pearce. Delaney is a joy to watch, all heart on sleeve stuff but maybe a bit too rustic for the likes of Germany.

SSL has gone straight into the team from injury before and in my opinion has yet to disappoint. Clark is looking good at club level. Then we have Wilson, Kelly and McShane who could all do a job if necessary. And let's not forget that the last time O'Brien played CB for Ireland we held Germany scoreless!

Ok, so CB actually is a worry.
We don't know about Ledger, 2 months out, rust has set in before with him after a spell out. Kelly has played one full 90 mins for Reading, he can fill in but is not a shoe in at CH.
McShane has hardly been used by Hull this season, possibly some injury.
Wilson does not play at CH. Joey, obvious fitness concerns aside, does he ever play at CH for WH?
Whereas, Pearce starts every game for Reading at CH.
Who was it that kept repeating 'use the players in the position they're use to playing in for their club'?
or something to that effect :)

ArdeeBhoy
01/10/2013, 9:37 AM
Who knows...or even cares?

Germany are going to rip us a new one regardless, just have to pray we don't concede too many.
Of all the names mentioned, the best of a mediocre bunch are Clark & St.Ledger.
They look potentially maybe our 'best' option for the future, once Dunne & O'Shea hang up their boots. Not exactly encouraging.

geysir
01/10/2013, 9:59 AM
Who cares? why bother? waste of time even posting.

brine3
01/10/2013, 10:02 AM
Sounds like the centre-back pairing from hell, both of them are liable to pass the ball straight to the opposition.

Wilson has done well for us at centre-back. We have O'Brien and Coleman as full-backs and we have plenty of midfielders, so I'd put Wilson in as centre-back. Along with anybody else. Damien Delaney perhaps, or Paddy McCarthy. Hopefully Shane Duffy comes through.

Kingdom
01/10/2013, 10:33 AM
If he is going to be picking ball players, there's nothing to say that we can't close up shop and play a bit of ball too.

Germany are likely to line up with:

---------------------Neuer---------------------
Lahm--Mertesacker---Boateng--Schmelzer
-------------------Khedira---------------------
--------------Mueller-- Kroos ----------------
--------------Ozil ------Reus-----------------
--------------------Klose----------------------

Schmelzer is struggling with injury, so Boateng could go left back, with Howedes or Hummels if he' fit again (unlikely) moving to CB. He could pick someone like Bender in the middle if he thinks we're a bit more agricultural, but I'd be surprised. They're full backs are like auxiliary wingers too, so it makes uo for their attackers preference to funnel inside.

This might seem ironic given we've centre-half "issues", but is there a chance we could go the wing-back route, and possibly three roving, footballing centre-backs.

----------------------Westwood------------------
-----------------------St Ledger------------------
------------Clark-----------------Wilson----------
Coleman----------------------------------McClean
-----------------Gibson------McCarthy-----------
-----------Hoolahan-----------Reid/McGeady---
------------------------Stokes---------------------

Subs: Forde, O’Brien, Kelly, Whelan, A Reid/McGeady, Pilkington, Quinn, Long, Keane, Walters,

Ledger being our more rambuncious centre-half could take Klose (assuming they give him the opportunity to overtake der Bomber's record) with Clark and Wilson trailing Ozil and Reus?

http://www.betinf.com/germany_injured.htm

ArdeeBhoy
01/10/2013, 10:43 AM
Who cares? why bother? waste of time even posting.

If the cap fits...
;)

Junior
01/10/2013, 11:04 AM
No he is sh1t didn't you know?!

Harsh, a $hit winger / wide midfielder yes. A $hit striker in the Green shirt? well we dont know yet.......

Stuttgart88
01/10/2013, 12:04 PM
Isn't Klose an injury doubt?

DeLorean
01/10/2013, 12:17 PM
A crowd pleaser of a squad selection? The sceptical side of me wonders about his motives. It probably is near enough to our best squad available and there's a chance that King simply agrees with the masses. The likes of fans favourite Doyler coming back in makes me wonder a little bit though, form obviously hasn't been considered paramount. Even the exclusion of Darren O'Dea, with our current centre back crisis, seems a little bit drastic given he has done reasonable well for us.

Crosby87
01/10/2013, 12:30 PM
Rumors continue that Kiessling will return to Germany just in time to play Ireland. He should be good for 2 or 3.
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bayer-leverkusen/world-cup/news/low-plans-kiessling-talks_108211.html

geysir
01/10/2013, 12:49 PM
A crowd pleaser of a squad selection? The sceptical side of me wonders about his motives. It probably is near enough to our best squad available and there's a chance that King simply agrees with the masses. The likes of fans favourite Doyler coming back in makes me wonder a little bit though, form obviously hasn't been considered paramount. Even the exclusion of Darren O'Dea, with our current centre back crisis, seems a little bit drastic given he has done reasonable well for us.
King would be more concerned with making a mark in these 2 games, doing his professional duty.
I don't think there's any popularity milage to be got for King in selecting old crowd favourite, Kevin Doyle.
The popular returns are Reid and Gibson, possibly Stokes.
However, those three do merit a call up, if they are fit.

I take it that both Dunne and O'Shea will be back for the home game, we probably do have enough to cover CH position in the away game.

Stuttgart88
01/10/2013, 1:00 PM
A crowd pleaser of a squad selection? The sceptical side of me wonders about his motives. It probably is near enough to our best squad available You've said it! Pick best squad and get accused of buying popularity. Don't pick it and get accused of being rubbish!

He didn't have a great bunch of CBs to choose from and I wouldn't argue much over those he did pick. Pearce, Delaney or O'Dea might have made it, Duffy too. Would any of us feel any more confident about our chances if we had any of them playing in Cologne?

Reid, Gibson and Stokes are deserving on merit. I think Doyle is too. His club situation doesn't do him justice. He is just a better player than Sammon and has shown this at international level. He never did anything to warrant being dropped in the first place.

I think King genuinely believes that less-hoof and more football will be better. I don't think this will a great game to judge his belief either way though. In the longer term I suspect this view will prevail.