PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany(A) 11th October & Kazakhstan(H) 15th October 2013 - World Cup '14 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 7:10 PM
It's GURMAN on the no2 shirt not gorman
He's slowly morphing into "your ma"

DannyInvincible
15/10/2013, 7:10 PM
The goalkeeper's shocking. They should stick the hand-happy defender in nets instead.

DannyInvincible
15/10/2013, 7:13 PM
It's GURMAN on the no2 shirt not gorman

Looks like the name can be romanised/anglicised as either.

tricky_colour
15/10/2013, 7:15 PM
The goalkeeper's shocking. They should stick the hand-happy defender in nets instead.

yea nothing has got past him so far, their keeper looks very poor, reckon I could as a better job,
he has a general air of incompetence, but he did get one cross.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 7:16 PM
Looks like Gibson has banjaxed his knee again. This is what happens when you play international football, Darron!

Paddy Garcia
15/10/2013, 7:19 PM
Whelan - I share Gibson's pain.

tricky_colour
15/10/2013, 7:19 PM
Not what Martinez was hoping to see!!!

dr_peepee
15/10/2013, 7:20 PM
Don't think Stokes warrants the license he's been given tonight.

Paddy Garcia
15/10/2013, 7:21 PM
Did we practice any passing this week does anyone know?

tricky_colour
15/10/2013, 7:25 PM
Did we practice any passing this week does anyone know?

What passing wind?

Would be better to have hoolahan on if you want passing I think.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 7:30 PM
I'd have thought Reid was a better passer than Hoolahan. There seems to be a lack of balance about the team - the wide men aren't comfortable staying wide so we're not stretching the pitch as much as we should, and it's making it difficult to feed the ball through Reid.

centre mid
15/10/2013, 7:32 PM
I dunno I thought we've put a couple of decent spells together - not sure the pale pitch is helping the passing much. Bit shambolic at the back on occasion.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 7:42 PM
I dunno I thought we've put a couple of decent spells together - not sure the pale pitch is helping the passing much. Bit shambolic at the back on occasion.
We have put together a few passages but miracles aren't going to happen. It will take a few months under a new manager to morph this bunch into a coherent unit. Doyle is just not comfortable in wide channels and Stokes has the capability but his instinct to come inside is getting the better of him. I'd rather have him on the right and a left-footed player on the left like McClean or, when fit, Brady. I suspect the side for the next campaign will be Stokes and Brady on the channels with Keane, Long or Doyle up the middle.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 7:57 PM
Looks like Reid has pushed out to the right for the second half with Doyle going up front.

shakermaker1982
15/10/2013, 8:00 PM
Is Stokes always this gun shy for Celtic?

brine3
15/10/2013, 8:03 PM
They have to stop trying to force a goal and just pass the bleeding ball around.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:04 PM
We need a third goal. The Kazakhs will have another 2-3 chances.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:06 PM
Stokes and Reid seem to have the genesis of a partnership.

IsMiseSean
15/10/2013, 8:07 PM
Has King left the stadium?? Bring on McGeady or McClean FFS!

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:19 PM
Wonderful work from McGeady to keep the ball in and great ball from McGeady. Great stuff.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:22 PM
I'd like to see some urgency now to try and put some gloss on the scoreline.

Emmet7
15/10/2013, 8:28 PM
Not much of a game to be fair. The Kazaks are awful.

What's the bets Dunphy will use the word "shambles" after the game?

zero
15/10/2013, 8:28 PM
disappointed by reid tonight. he is still just a luxury player that we couldn't possibly play against any half decent opposition.

doyle poor also, a shadow of the player he was 2-3 seasons ago. other than that, not too bad i suppose. mccarthy not great again, really does not impose himself on the game.

stokes was decent enough. ahead of long now surely.

turns out, it seems, that when we try to knock the ball about we're not great at it...

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:29 PM
McGeady is very keen to show why he shouldn't have been left out of these games - he's put in a few heavy challenges, all of them legal. Good sign, he's hungry.

tricky_colour
15/10/2013, 8:32 PM
Not much of a game to be fair. The Kazaks are awful.

What's the bets Dunphy will use the word "shambles" after the game?

10-1 he will say an "effing shambles"

DannyInvincible
15/10/2013, 8:32 PM
Thought Stokes had a good game. McGeady's done well since he came on, showing plenty of energy, although Kazakhstan noticeably tiring by that point.

McCarthy just awarded 'man of the match'.

tricky_colour
15/10/2013, 8:33 PM
last chance for 4-1

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:34 PM
Worth pointing out that of the 14 players used today, only McCarthy and McGeady were born outside of Ireland, and neither could be accused of being anything less than 100% Irish. Puts to bed the argument that we're lacking talent in this country. Poor game in all honesty.

Emmet7
15/10/2013, 8:38 PM
FFS...He's surely not blaming King for Seamus Coleman's mistake that led to the goal? The analysis is beyond a joke at times.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 8:55 PM
King has put Tony O'Donoghue in his place there. Defending his players, great management. He's not the answer for the new manager but he's done us proud.

Emmet7
15/10/2013, 9:01 PM
RTE panel a bit ridiculous now. Noel King had 2 weeks to prepare and everyone knows he's interim manager.

This is nonsense. And its most definitely personal attacks - everything from Dunphy is personal...pr*ck.

Dunphy out!

No wonder few managers want the Irish management job with nonsense like this.

DannyInvincible
15/10/2013, 9:04 PM
Tonight's team-sheet featured quite a balls-up: http://balls.ie/football/ireland-team-sheet-mistake/

http://ballsdot.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/team-sheet.jpg

Stuttgart88
15/10/2013, 9:09 PM
The analysis was prejudiced from the start. That second half was far from perfect but was absolutely a big step in the right direction. The direction that Mark1234 says we must take and I agree.

It was a joy to watch Forde playing the ball short. It was a joy to watch a Ireland actually own the ball for large periods, and to probe and find gaps even if the final ball was poor.

There are plenty here whose thesis is that we are not so bad that we can only play hoofball to compete with anyone, and I think that tonight showed that we can try to enter the 21st century. I think we have no choice.

It was a facile win in reality but I think it was a step forward in the overall scheme of things.

Oh, and the RTE panel showed an ignorance of 4231 I think. Loads of teams play inside out forwards rather than natural wide men. They seemed to think it was some kind of mad experiment. I'd have preferred width myself but it wasn't as mad as they seemed to think. I think they set out to criticise King, had reason to maintain that position at half time but showed a complete lack of magnanimity at the end. That second half could be an important stepping stone for this team.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2013, 9:10 PM
Well said Emmet.

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 9:14 PM
Oh, and the RTE panel showed an ignorance of 4231 I think. Loads of teams play inside out forwards rather than natural wide men. They seemed to think it was some kind of mad experiment. I'd have preferred width myself but it wasn't as mad as they seemed to think. I think they set out to criticise King, had reason to maintain that position at half time but showed a complete lack of magnanimity at the end. That second half could be an important stepping stone for this team.
I think that might be somewhat true, but I think they were right in that Doyle and Stokes were uncomfortable as wide forwards alongside Keane and Reid. They did take up a lot of the same positions.

DannyInvincible
15/10/2013, 9:27 PM
King has put Tony O'Donoghue in his place there. Defending his players, great management. He's not the answer for the new manager but he's done us proud.

Just seeing the interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbd3GObHCds

Got fairly tense.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2013, 9:29 PM
Yes, but this all comes out in the wash. You can only tell what works when you try it. Stokes played wide of centre a lot at Celtic. My point is that what King tried CAN work, but it looked awkward. As I said, I'd have used natural width myself but the panel displayed an ignorance of what many teams do these days. It was a worthwhile exercise and even despite the awkwardness of our wide forwards it was totally and utterly churlish not to acknowledge that the second half looked like a normal football team. Not a great team, but a normal one and for me that's an improvement.

The panel can't use the line that the opposition was were crap. If that had been Trap my guess is we'd have been more hung up on how we looked without the ball, they'd have had more of it and we'd be saying "look how much of the ball they had, they were no mugs".

Stuttgart88
15/10/2013, 9:33 PM
Well said Noel King. Eff off RTE.

geysir
15/10/2013, 9:38 PM
Way too much passing or attempting to play a passing game that we just can't play. We badly needed someone to just hoof that ball and time after time the back 4 bottled out of it, just didn't show the moral courage to get on the ball, take responsibility and hoof it up front,
How hard can it be to just hoof it aimlessly. Even Forde who we use to be able to depend upon for 10 or 15 hoof every 10 minutes was just throwing the ball out to the full backs, and then we had the sight of a midfielder showing up to receive the ball from the back 4. What nonsense!

Grafter
15/10/2013, 9:39 PM
Well said Noel King. Eff off RTE.And then Dunphy and co. portray him as a deranged loon after the game.... what a toxic cesspool that sports department appears at times....

Emmet7
15/10/2013, 9:46 PM
The 4-2-3-1 formation is the one used by most top teams in the modern game.

Unfortunately the people who watch the RTE panel, a lot of them don't know much about football, unlike most people on here who do know their stuff. The people who watch the RTE panel barely realise that Dunphy never managed and Giles hasn't managed in 30 years. Both are hopelessly out of touch with modern tactics and are stuck in a 1960s/70s time warp. They can criticise all they like but neither have much credibility in the modern game and both are out of touch. Giles doesn't believe in formations which is fair enough but you have to put players somewhere on the pitch which usually ends up in some kind of formation. Dunphy is Dunphy...clueless, and feels the need to insult to get attention because he has little positive to say about anyone or anything.

Emmet7
15/10/2013, 9:47 PM
Dunphy says his criticism is never personal...

So calling people puffballs, creeps, nothing players, nasty men, a b*llix, etc etc isn't personal?

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 9:50 PM
Way too much passing or attempting to play a passing game that we just can't play. We badly needed someone to just hoof that ball and time after time the back 4 bottled out of it, just didn't show the moral courage to get on the ball, take responsibility and hoof it up front,
How hard can it be to just hoof it aimlessly. Even Forde who we use to be able to depend upon for 10 or 15 hoof every 10 minutes was just throwing the ball out to the full backs, and then we had the sight of a midfielder showing up to receive the ball from the back 4. What nonsense!
No moral courage, John.

geysir
15/10/2013, 9:54 PM
Pity Darragh didn't have enough moral courage to take them on, what a bunch of pussy hypocrites, can't take a bit of professional criticism on the chin, but have to twist it into something personal and a deflective defending the honour of one of RTE's biggest buffoons, with the mike - Tony o'D.

Grafter
15/10/2013, 9:56 PM
Dunphy says his criticism is never personal...So calling people puffballs, creeps, nothing players, nasty men, a b*llix, etc etc isn't personal?Absolutely, the same thought was running through my head... but hey, the guy has a short term memory obviously. To be fair, I'm no fan of Dara Moloney but he did sort of question Dunphy (in a way) after the game and was literally jumped on... The way Dunphy panders to "the soccer fan" is so predictable... trotting out GAA and rugby analogys etc.... to ingratiate himself...Oh look.... at least the lot of them.... Hamilton and Whelan included might be on their final broadcasting legs??? Small mercys?

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 10:01 PM
The 4-2-3-1 formation is the one used by most top teams in the modern game.
More importantly, it's the formation Ireland play from U15 through to U21 level and, with Ruud Dokter at the helm, at senior level too. As Noel King well knows, and bought into years ago. God forbid we'd expect the RTE panel to have any broad knowledge of the Irish system they purport to comment on...

Stuttgart88
15/10/2013, 10:10 PM
Didn't Sadlier bemoan, in his Sindo articles, the lack of consistency between underage formations and that of the senior team?

Emmet7
15/10/2013, 10:11 PM
If the clown Dunphy's past form is anything to go by he will try to drag this spat out with King in his newspaper column for the next week or two. That's what he has done with every previous manager. He's a controversy junkie and a supreme sh*t stirrer who then exploits it for personal advantage. Some day I hope the vast majority see through him.

If I was Mick McCarthy I'd agree to take the Irish job on condition Dunphy quit the RTE panel. Because 2 games in and Dunphy will be back attacking McCarthy with personal attacks and continuing the vendetta in his newspaper columns.

A bitter little man, Jack had it right.

SwanVsDalton
15/10/2013, 10:14 PM
Anyone got any vids yet of the panel post King interview? Was getting texted about how awful it was, but the bar I was in was showing Sky coverage.

Anyway without having seen it feel comfortable saying that if RTE have savaged a two-game interim manager for no discernible reason then they need to take a long hard look at the standards they are setting.

Grafter
15/10/2013, 10:15 PM
Oh look, RTE have generated a new story for themselves! S.A.D.!http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/1015/480643-noel-king-interview/