PDA

View Full Version : Your Team Of The Season.

Jofspring
29/09/2013, 5:54 PM
Season is nearly over, would be interested to see who would make ye're 11. Obviously most, including mine, are based on performances against us, the odd game I saw on telly and justu who impressed me overall.

Barry Ryan
Ger O Brien
Kenny Browne
Gavin Peers
Ian Bermingham
Daryl Horgan
Richie Towell
Killian Brennan
Rafael Cretaro
Rory Patterson
Patrick Hoban

Honourable mention for Craig Curran, he's a machine and workhorse for us. Deserved a better goals return to be honest.

patsdad
29/09/2013, 6:53 PM
I'm obviously biased but I think Pats have had some outstanding performers this season. John Russell and Conan Byrne were close, along with the 6 I've listed.

Brendan Clarke
Ger O'Brien
Kenny Browne
Gavin Peers
Ian Bermingham
Daryl Horgan
Greg Bolger
Richie Towell
Killian Brennan
Pat Hoban
Rory Patterson

ATFC-1887
29/09/2013, 7:21 PM
Paul Skinner
Roddy Collins
Aido Collins
Robbie Clarke
Neil Harney
Mark Hughes
James O Brien
Graham Kelly
Barry Clancy
Philly Gorman
Garbhan Coughlan
;) ;) ;)

Guinney
03/10/2013, 9:22 PM
Peter Cherrie
Simon Madden
Kenny Browne
Andy Boyle
Ian Bermingham
Richie Towell
Greg Bolger
Killian Brennan
Rafael Cretaro
Pat Hoban
Rory Patterson

Obviously biased as a Dundalk fan. Ger O'Brien will get on the team of the year and he has been great for Pats, but Simon Madden for me is the best full back in the league. A honourable mention for Daryl Horgan.

Charlie Darwin
03/10/2013, 9:41 PM
This is a strange one as most of us can only really go on games involving our teams plus the odd match on TV, but in the case of at least a couple of the league's star performers (Towell, McNamee, Horgan) they've been gash in the games I've seen them against Rovers and Pat's were awful in a couple, but I think I've picked up enough from the other games to realise how good they are. So I'll have a stab.

Barry Murphy
Ger O'Brien
Gavin Peers
Conor Kenna
Ian Bermingham
Richie Towell
Ronan Finn
Killian Brennan
Daryl Horgan
Pat Hoban
Jason Byrne

avvenalaf
03/10/2013, 10:47 PM
Brendan Clarke/Barry Murphy is the only argument I'd have with that selection.

White Horse
04/10/2013, 9:13 AM

Has there been an outstanding goalkeeper this season?

NeverFeltBetter
04/10/2013, 9:52 AM
I have that bias, but Limerick really would be nowhere without Barry Ryan in goal.

Dodge
04/10/2013, 10:30 AM

Ryan was outstanding for first 3 months, Clarke has been outstanding for the past 3/4 months. It has to be one of them

I'd go with

--------Ryan
O'Brien Peers Browne Bermingham
----Towell Bolger Brennan
Cretaro Patterson Hoban

I think Finn is the best player in the league but he's had an up and down season while Bolger, Towell and Brennan have been excellent (in that order).

redobit
04/10/2013, 10:46 AM
Ryan was outstanding for first 3 months, Clarke has been outstanding for the past 3/4 months. It has to be one of them

Gary Rogers with 26 clean sheets this season!!! (14 more than last season)

Charlie Darwin
04/10/2013, 11:43 AM
Murphy's had maybe one poor game all season. Only lost out to Brush due to injury and won his place back. Has bailed Rovers out numerous times when the back four have decided to play 'pass the ball to the opposition centre forward.' Wouldn't begrudge Clarke either but he's never filled me with confidence watching him.

Dodge
04/10/2013, 12:42 PM
Gary Rogers with 26 clean sheets this season!!! (14 more than last season)

He has 18 in the league, Pats have 19. League cup and Setanta are minor competitions and shouldn't really come into it

Clean sheets and defensive records (Pats have the best for the past 2 seasons), only tell some of the story too as it's a team effort.

Wouldn't begrudge Clarke either but he's never filled me with confidence watching him.

Most would agree but he has been excellent for most of the season. Vastly improved this season IMO

Dillonman
04/10/2013, 12:52 PM
Gk Gary Rogers
Rb Ger O'Brien
Cb Andy Boyle
CbConor Kenna
Lb Dane Massey
Mf Lilian Brennan
Mf Richie Towell
Mf Darly Horgan
F Pat Hoban
F Rory Patterson
F Tough choice cause Dave McMillan was brilliant until he went to Sligo, Elding was good for the first round of games, Cretaro is in and out of the team but for me its Jason Byrne.

Charlie Darwin
04/10/2013, 12:55 PM
Gk Gary Rogers
Rb Ger O'Brien
Cb Andy Boyle
CbConor Kenna
Lb Dane Massey
Mf Lilian Brennan
Mf Richie Towell
Mf Darly Horgan
F Pat Hoban
F Rory Patterson
F Tough choice cause Dave McMillan was brilliant until he went to Sligo, Elding was good for the first round of games, Cretaro is in and out of the team but for me its Jason Byrne.
Fantastic. I hope this catches on.

Most would agree but he has been excellent for most of the season. Vastly improved this season IMO
Pats record seems to bear this out. I always found it odd that people rated Gary Rogers over him.

gormacha
04/10/2013, 1:01 PM

Chip Sanders is certainly the most interesting. Worth a follow on twitter.

redobit
04/10/2013, 1:58 PM

Pats record seems to bear this out. I always found it odd that people rated Gary Rogers over him.

Nothin odd about it. Clarke was in the Showgrounds then Rogers so Ive seen them both play over a number of seasons. If I had a choice Id have Rogers every time, definetly ahead of Clarke.

dundalkfc10
04/10/2013, 2:24 PM

I'd go with

--------Ryan
O'Brien Peers Browne Bermingham
----Towell Bolger Brennan
Cretaro Patterson Hoban

I think Finn is the best player in the league but he's had an up and down season while Bolger, Towell and Brennan have been excellent (in that order).

Might be a bit bias, but I havnt seen a better player in the LOI since Keith fahy than Richie Towell.

Can play DM, CM and AM and can do all 3 just as good as the other, great player.

Will be England bound in Jan and best of luck to the chap

avvenalaf
04/10/2013, 6:55 PM
Any team of the season that does not have Gavin Peers in it should be deleted. End of.

TonyD
04/10/2013, 7:06 PM

It's an old one in fairness. I've seen Pats fans call him that when he was at Rovers.

On the team, I'm delighted to see the recognition given to both Pats full backs by most people. They've both been superb, Bermingham in particular. Bolger has been outstanding too for Pats.

oriel
04/10/2013, 9:10 PM
I was thinking if Dane Massey had continued his performances from round 1 & 2 into the last series of games he would have been well in with a chance of making the end of season side but he lost a bit of form, and probably peaked too early.
Still an excellent player mind.

Rogers

O'Brien
Browne
Boyle
Birmingham

Towell
Brennan
Bolger
Finn

Hoban
Patterson

Just realised no Sligo players but can't think of any that were stand outs during the season.

JC_GUFC
04/10/2013, 10:55 PM
Some possibly controversial selections

Darren Quigley (May have conceded the most goals but Bray's defence has been horrendous, possibly Ger Doherty but couldn't have any of those mentioned in the team!)

Ger O'Brien
Conor Kenna
Gavin Peers
Ian Bermingham

Gary McCabe (Fair enough it's based nearly all on form for last few weeks but if I were to pick Barry McNamee it would be based on form from early season)
Richie Towell
Killian Brennan
Daryl Horgan (kind of faded a bit recently but was Cork's only good player for most of the first 2 series)

Rory Patterson
Dave McMillan (his goals for UCD gave them a fighting chance of survival)

A few unlucky ones:

Dane Massey
Andy Boyle
Stephen McDonnell
Raf Cretaro
Barry McNamee

David BOHie
05/10/2013, 1:44 AM
GK Brendan Clarke
RB Ger O'Brien
CB Gavin Peers
CB Conor Kenna
LB Ian Bermingham
RM Daryl Horgan
CM Richie Towell
CM Greg Bolger
LM Killian Brennan
ST Philly Gorman
ST Rory Patterson

Or something like that

luiz
13/10/2013, 5:53 PM
I've lost all matches of the last month as I was always from the country and watched too much matches of the weaker sides but here it is:

GK Brendan Clarke (as for the guy who mentioned Quigley, wouldn't consider it an absurd too, would be my second choice)

DL Ian Bermingham
DC Derek Prendergast
DC Kenny Browne
DR Ger O'Brien

MC Riche Towell
MC Ronan Finn
MC Chris Forrester

FW Rafaele Cretaro
FW Rory Patterson
FW Dave McMillan

Aaron
13/10/2013, 8:09 PM
Gary Rogers

Simon Madden
Gavin Peers
Andy Boyle
Dane Massey

Richie Towell
Greg Bolger
Killian Brennan

Conan Byrne
Rory Patterson
David McMillan

Nah Nah Nah Nah
13/10/2013, 8:37 PM
I'm going with a Spain formation as I don't think any striker this season has been outstanding

Barry Ryan

Ger O'Brien
Kenny Browne
Gavin Peers
Iarlaith Davoren

Greg Bolger
Killian Brennan
Richie Towell

Conan Byrne
Kieran Djilali
Daryl Horgan

danthesaint
15/10/2013, 1:40 PM
Clarkey
Ger O'Brien
Conor Kenna
Big Kenny
Bermo

Conan Byrne
Killer
Bolger
Russell
Git Forester

Bisto

Champions 2013 :)

patsdad
17/10/2013, 11:14 AM
I'm obviously biased but I think Pats have had some outstanding performers this season. John Russell and Conan Byrne were close, along with the 6 I've listed.

Brendan Clarke
Ger O'Brien
Kenny Browne
Gavin Peers
Ian Bermingham
Daryl Horgan
Greg Bolger
Richie Towell
Killian Brennan
Pat Hoban
Rory Patterson

Substitute Boyle for Peers and it matches the PFAI selection.

Hibs4Ever
17/10/2013, 11:43 AM
Gary Rogers

Simon Madden
Gavin Peers
Andy Boyle
Dane Massey

No defenders from the team that conceded the least number of goals this season?

avvenalaf
17/10/2013, 12:54 PM
Substitute Boyle for Peers and it matches the PFAI selection.

Yes, but any team without Gavin Peers just isn't right.

White Horse
22/10/2013, 3:18 PM
Alan Cawley has named his team of the season.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/1022/481984-blog-alan-cawleys-team-of-the-year/

Jofspring
22/10/2013, 5:31 PM
Has Djilali been that impressive? Both times I saw him in Thomond park and a few times on telly I thought he looked poor enough. The only game he impressed me in was the FAI semi-final a few weeks ago.

Yossarian
22/10/2013, 6:32 PM
I'm delighted with O'Donnell getting the recognition for a great season. While Towell provides the flair in the Dundalk midfield O'Donnell is the driving force of the whole team. He pops up everywhere on the pitch and has scored some crucial goals. The team was lost when he was suspended for a few games this season and that's his only fault, he has a tendency to talk himself into stupid bookings.

White Horse
22/10/2013, 7:20 PM
Has Djilali been that impressive? Both times I saw him in Thomond park and a few times on telly I thought he looked poor enough. The only game he impressed me in was the FAI semi-final a few weeks ago.

He was very good against us, but those who saw him week in and week out will be much better judges.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/10/2013, 7:57 PM
He fully deserves a place in the team of the season if you ask me. Him and Peers have been our two best players I would say.

At least Alan Cawley had the good sense to go with the formation that most teams in the league

Dodge
23/10/2013, 9:26 AM

One of the worst individual displays I saw this year was Djilali in Richmond Park the first time Pats beat Sligo. He was lost

He was excellent in the cup semi and Sligo fans have been praising him for months though

poster
23/10/2013, 9:32 AM
Has Djilali been that impressive?

Has the potential to be the best winger the league has seen in a long time. Was very unfit for the first round of games and went through a stage where he needed everyone around him to play well for him to blossom.

But was our best player, along with Peers and Ndo from May/June onwards.

I'd be confident of keeping him next year but equally wouldn't be surprised if he was back in England by January.

If we had a fully fit Djilali and Ventre for the full season, we'd have pushed Pat's a lot closer.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
26/10/2013, 2:49 PM
One of the worst individual displays I saw this year was Djilali in Richmond Park the first time Pats beat Sligo. He was lost

He was excellent in the cup semi and Sligo fans have been praising him for months though

Best player on the pitch last night again