PDA

View Full Version : How many fans do you have?

Poor Student
11/10/2004, 4:48 PM
Probably Sheridan can answer this for me. How many fans of your own attending regularly do you reckon you have? Never been to see you as I don't think UCD's path has ever crossed with you in competitive games and I am wondering what is the story for you. Your club seems to rank alongside UCD as a favourite for abuse and having their existence questioned. Are you like us in that your Premier attendence is swelled by fellow Dublin clubs coming and outnumbering you? Did you have more fans last year when you were doing well in the First Division? It seems our clubs are kindred spirits in some sense. Good luck in your fight against relegation. UCD nearly made the great escape in a similar position last year, with Rovers situation who knows for you? Maybe just maybe if you beat Waterford tonight, 7 points and a game in hand.

Maynard
12/10/2004, 11:29 AM
It's hard to say really. We seem to have a fair amount of bandwagoners/interested neutrals when things are interesting ie; Last few home games of last season, our home games this year Vs Bohs, after Roddys appointment etc But naturally those drop off when things aren't going well, and obviously things haven't really been going well at all this season.
Sheridan might have some solid figures but all I know is that the average gate last season was 400, on the final day we had 3,000 and at least half of those weren't Bray fans, we had 1,500 when we played Bohs in Tolka earlier in the year and again about 50% 0f them weren't Bohs fans. Last night however I'd say there was only about 150 at the game, with what looked like about 20 travelling Waterford fans... :rolleyes:
We're a very new club and building a fanbase will take time, there is no club in the league that doesn't need more fans, ourselves and yourselves need some more than most, but I can't see the attendences breaking the glass ceiling until the FAI step in and help to run the league and make RTE fulfill their remit as a public service broadcaster by showing one live game every week plus a highlights package. If that happened then everybody's gates would increase over time.
As far as staying up, personally I'm not too fussed about it at this stage, sure some wins would be nice before the end of the season, but I think a few years in the 1st mightn't do us any harm at all. We came up too fast last year, we need time to sort out a ground and to increase our fan base among other things. I think Kildare County are a good example, a new club like ourselves motoring along nicely building up support as they go, and in a few years I belive will be challenging for honors.
It's a good model to follow...end of rant.

Schumi
12/10/2004, 11:32 AM
we had 1,500 when we played Bohs in Tolka earlier in the year and again about 50% 0f them weren't Bohs fans.
First time or second time?

pineapple stu
12/10/2004, 6:31 PM
I think a few years in the 1st mightn't do us any harm at all. We came up too fast last year, we need time to sort out a ground and to increase our fan base among other things. I think Kildare County are a good example, a new club like ourselves motoring along nicely building up support as they go, and in a few years I believe will be challenging for honours.

You won't be building up a fan base in the First Division any tmie soon, believe me! On the Kildare thing (not to knock them obviously, just pointing this out), they're in their third season in the league and their attendances are about a quarter lower than ours. They're certainly not building as quickly as many people would have/do believe. Maybe a spell in the Premier would help, but that comes back to your first point...

Maynard
12/10/2004, 8:03 PM
There were slightly more people at our 2nd home game against Bohs with Roddy was in charge. But there was about 1,250 at the first Bohs match under Giller which we won 2-1.

On the TV issue. I know it sounds paradoxical to suggest that in order for a sport to get bigger attendences it has to be on TV, ie people have to be at home watching it. But that's because it is. We have grown up with English Match Of the Day soccer on our teles and consequently have the mindset (particularly in the age of Sky Sports) is that if it's not good enough to get air time then it's not worth going to watch. I am 100% that if all Eircom League clubs got exposure by having one live game a week on TV then gates would increase. When people start to learn the names of Irish players and managers, when kids see Glen Crowe, Daryl Murphy, Jason Byrne et al scoring goals on television and they find out that there is a local EL ground a bus journey away from their house they will want to go and see it.
We feel we need television to tell us what is good and what is bad, that is why so many kids are wearing Real Madrid shirts and have never even heard of Irish Football. To them Irish Football is O'Shea at Utd and Keane at Spurs. RTE have the power to change all that, but instead they re-inforce it by buying the rights to the Premiership with OUR licence fee.
That has to change for the EL to grow.

As for crowds growing or otherwise in the 1st Division, I take your point, I know that 1st Division football is about as unsexy as it gets, but I feel that in the case of my club a few years of steadying the ship and winning some matches will help us to build a stronger foundation in many areas of our football club.

B-Stand
12/10/2004, 8:11 PM
we had 1,500 when we played Bohs in Tolka earlier in the year and again about 50% 0f them weren't Bohs fans

I'm not going too bogged down in a crowds debate but I reckon Bohs had at least 1000 there that night.

Leinster Lim
13/10/2004, 8:06 AM
On a related topic, is there any chance of ye returning to Whitehall next year or is that out of the question altogether? I quite liked going there what with the excellent bar facilities and the fact that at least it felt like a crowd were there even if only a couple hundred fans showed.

ConfusedBlue
13/10/2004, 11:52 AM
The Waterford game the other night had at most 150 at the game and thats possibly a generous figure!!!!Of that figure there was 20 travelling fans on a mini-bus along with probably another 20 or so who drove and a good few exiles living in Dublin.
How can DC survive when they have gates as low as that?Things must be bad up there when there was'nt even a match programme on sale!!

Roo69
13/10/2004, 12:26 PM
on the final day we had 3,000 and at least half of those weren't Bray fans

Sorry mate but we brough out 2,000 fans with us for that game ! FACT

Ringo
14/10/2004, 12:14 PM
On a related topic, is there any chance of ye returning to Whitehall next year or is that out of the question altogether? I quite liked going there what with the excellent bar facilities and the fact that at least it felt like a crowd were there even if only a couple hundred fans showed.

we'd love to, but it won't happen. totally agree about it though. hate Tolka :mad:

Ringo
14/10/2004, 12:14 PM
Sorry mate but we brough out 2,000 fans with us for that game ! FACT
FACT say's who? :confused:

KR's Post
16/10/2004, 10:33 AM
gate last season was 400, on the final day we had 3,000 and at least half of those weren't Bray fans, Sorry to say and im not having a go at you but 2000 fans were there supporting bray. although nearly 1500 will probably not travel to monaghan for a seemingly title deciding day!!! but they were there in bray colours and when we scored the roar was massive compared to when yous lot scored.... What a game though.. P.S Good look surviving,rovers are going down i think.... ;)

NY Hoop
19/10/2004, 10:28 AM
:D :D :D

Funniest thread since the internet was invented! Obvioulsy the answer would be UCD and the sooner you replace CHF the better. And tarzan we are not and never were in any danger of going down.

KOH

KR's Post
19/10/2004, 10:33 AM
IM only joking there NY HOOP. Dublin are definetely relegated. i'm just wondering will Rovers(the SUPERHOOPS) survive at all. You know,financially??? Big question mark there.... :confused: