PDA

View Full Version : RMK out of Faroes Game

strangeirish
11/10/2004, 12:23 PM
According to reports, Roy Keane is out of the game for the visit of the Faroe Islands, due to a knock he took during the match Saturday. Who should be his replacement?

tiktok
11/10/2004, 12:27 PM
My support of Keane down has been obvious on here, I'm about as pro-Keane as you can get, but if he's injured, I'm a Frenchman.

I don't think he was ever going to play in this game, and I reckon it's now clear that Fergie, Kerr and Keane have made a deal on which games Keane will play, I just hope ahead of time that Kerr recognised Israel for the threat they are.

Kavanagh should be his replacement IMO, leave Kilbane to do the running and hassling and Kav to do the job he did against Cyprus. That should see us through.

Peadar
11/10/2004, 12:36 PM
Kavanagh should be his replacement IMO.

Kav or Mattie, it doesn't really matter.

I actually think that Kerr should go with a 4-3-3 (4-3-1-2)
Given
Carr-O'Brien-Cunningham-Maybury
Reid-Kilbane-Duff
Robbie
Lee-Jason Byrne (should be called up for a game like this)

Lionel Ritchie
11/10/2004, 12:42 PM
My support of Keane down has been obvious on here, I'm about as pro-Keane as you can get, but if he's injured, I'm a Frenchman.

I don't think he was ever going to play in this game, and I reckon it's now clear that Fergie, Kerr and Keane have made a deal on which games Keane will play, I just hope ahead of time that Kerr recognised Israel for the threat they are.

Kavanagh should be his replacement IMO, leave Kilbane to do the running and hassling and Kav to do the job he did against Cyprus. That should see us through.

Agree with tiktok. slip Kav in. Matt's not right and BK saw fir not to call up Carsley so Kav's the obvious man. While I don't underestimate the Faroes I think he could give a few benchwarmers the full 90 here ...Alan Lee, David Connolly...

drummerboy
11/10/2004, 12:42 PM

Given
Reid-Kilbane-Duff
Robbie

Wow, what are you on man?

BTW Keane trained this morning and will play. Macken and Connolly put on standby

zinedineontour
11/10/2004, 12:52 PM

Given
Reid-Kilbane-Duff
Robbie

Of course it matters.. Lee and Byrne ? Why change the team we dont have another competetive game till march so why change team ?

We played great im sure all the lads that played sat want to play again and why not .. Jason Byrne ? As he showed in Europe he is good enough for League of Ireland but cant compete at the higher level. We cant take wed as a foregone conclusion maybe if we 2 or 3 up make a couple of changes but we should take nothing for granted and put out our strongest eleven..

Like the song in Paris .. Jason Byrne your having a laugh ...

And maybury in there the world has gone mad

BaZmO*
11/10/2004, 12:56 PM
Wow, what are you on man?

Got there before me!! ;)

It really amazes me sometimes the silly team selections that people come up with.

Granted that the Faroes should be there for a thrashing but why on earth would Kerr mess around with a formation that he's never tried before and is never likely to try ever, combined with playing 3 players that have played about a half an hour between them?? :rolleyes: :confused:

Think logically about this please!!!

B.

drummerboy
11/10/2004, 1:04 PM
People seem to forget that the Faroes have held Scotland to 2 scoreless draws in the not to distant past. To dilute the team would send out a signal that we weren't taking them seriously.

Kingdom
11/10/2004, 1:25 PM
As much as I respect Peader for the usually good opinions he exudes , I'm not too sure of his team selection for this one!!

Everybody recognised that graft and containment (for the first 30mins or so anyway) was the order of the day, and hence Steve Finnan was put in at right midfield to curb the threat of French on the lines.

However against the faroes a bit of guile will be needed and, while I'm not saying that Steve Finnan isn't capable of getting to the line and getting a good delivery in (cause he is), I'm sure Andy Reid will have that little bit more invention against the Faroes.
As a lot of people have mentioned and quite rightly so the Faroe lads will be no walk in the park, but they should be dispatched with a bit to spare also. For the most part we have done well against these type of teams at the Road and Weds should be the same.
I think JOSH could be rested with Finnan playing left back and Reidy on the right of midfield. Although he will be first choice and always tries his big ginger (strawberry blond) heart out , I'll be disappointed if the Doc starts. I'd like to have a good proper look at Alan Lee so that all the fuss can be put to bed. People were clamouring for Andy reid to replace Clint which imho would not be the right answer. Apparently RMK will start if not its a straight switch with Kav.
Predicted Team:
Given
Carr O'Brien Kenny Finnan
Reidy RMK/Kav KK Duff
Lee Keano

Predicted score:

Ireland 4 Faroes nil
Keano 2(1 pen)
KK
O'Brien

Not that I'm psychic or anything!!

drummerboy
11/10/2004, 1:31 PM
This is a World Cup Qualifier, the time for experimentation is the 2 upcoming friendlies. Kerr has to put out his strongest team out against the Faero and go out there and give a pulsating performance, which will send out the right signal to Isreal who are our next opponents.

SÓC
11/10/2004, 1:39 PM
Gotta be Kav

On his day class act.

His range of passing could have been handy in the Stade De France but I suppose Kerr couldnt take Keane off and there was no question of taking KK

tricky_colour
11/10/2004, 2:02 PM
Predicted score:

Ireland 4 Faroes nil
Keano 2(1 pen)
KK
O'Brien

Not that I'm psychic or anything!!

Onviously not as you didn't list the goal times :p

Stuttgart88
11/10/2004, 2:05 PM
There should be as little messing about as possible. These guys were beating Cyprus until late on, kept France to 2-0, were level with Germany after 90 mins at home, only lost 1-0 (and hit the post in last minute) in Germany, etc etc etc. OK so they got stuffed in Basle but you get my point.

All this talk of cheering their left back is nonsense. Let's go out and do a job and if we're winning easily then bring on a few fringe players.

Kingdom
11/10/2004, 2:12 PM
Onviously not as you didn't list the goal times :p

Keane 14 , 52(pen)
KK 31
O'Brien 69

Peadar
11/10/2004, 2:19 PM
As much as I respect Peader for the usually good opinions he exudes , I'm not too sure of his team selection for this one!!

We're talking about the Faroe Islands!
Monaghan United could beat them!
I doubt their defence is better than that of Drogheda United so Byrne would have a field day.
Forget everything else you know, this game is about being too much for the Faroe's to handle.

thejollyrodger
11/10/2004, 3:04 PM
I would like to see Ireland go straight for the neck early on and pile on the pressure. Once the Faroes implode and say were 3 or 4 nill up at half time, then maybe kerr can think about bringing on 1 or maybe 2 different players.

I would rest Roy Keane and maybe O Shea.

___________Given
Carr___O Brien__Cunningham___Finnan
Reid____Kavanagh___KK_____Duff
_______Robbie Keane___Maken

or keep O Shea on and stick Reid up front

___________Given
Carr___O Brien__Cunningham___O Shea
Finnan____Kavanagh___KK_____Duff
___________________Reid
_______Robbie Keane___

** morrison's injury could have him out for up to a month! I hope it isnt bad.

Slash/ED
11/10/2004, 3:09 PM
As he showed in Europe he is good enough for League of Ireland but cant compete at the higher level.

Rubbish. Byrne was one of our best players in Europe. People can't see beyond the fact that he didn't score, that was down to him playing wide right for most of the campaign ffs. He was superb against Deportivo, held the ball up well and his link play was excellent, similar to Clinton on saturday. Some of his passing and crossing, like the one that set up the goal against Lille, was excellent. Look at the difference between when Fitzpatrick played up front against Depor and when Byrne did, it was like watching two different teams. Just because a striker doesn't score doesn't mean he hasn't played well. Morrison suffered from the same thing when he went an age without scoring for Ireland but in the majority of those games had actually played superbly, like when he got MOTM against Brazil. To say Byrne couldn't compete is just wrong.

As for Keane, I think he trained today and is expected to play on wednesday, if someone hasn't already said it.

drummerboy
11/10/2004, 3:38 PM
I think Byrne missed quite a few chances in the European games. His general play was ok but nothing to merit a shot at the international team. He seems to have some of the same irritating traits as his more renowned cousin, but not the same level of skill.

Slash/ED
11/10/2004, 3:47 PM
He missed chances but he was getting the chances, which is what being a striker is all about. I mean, he was unlucky on a fair few of them. Against Lille he absolutley planted a header in the top corner and it took an amazing save to keep it out, against Split away he hit a 25 yard volley off the bar, which bounced off the line and came out, the TV in Croatia apparently showed it was over the line too. He was one of our best players in europe and we were competing with sides like Split, Deportivo and Lille ffs. To say he showed he wasn't good enough to compete at a higher level is non sense, the opposiate if anything is true.

Metrostars
11/10/2004, 4:04 PM
From the babyc http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/3732628.stm

Republic of Ireland boss Brian Kerr has said that Roy Keane will be fit for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands at Lansdowne Road.

Reports on Monday morning suggested that Keane had sustained a minor knee strain in Saturday's 0-0 draw against France in Paris.

However, Keane did some light training with the Republic squad on Monday.

tricky_colour
12/10/2004, 1:18 AM
Yes rubbing large amounts of satire on the injury appears to have
cured it :rolleyes: