PDA

View Full Version : Phone Trouble in Paris?

deadman
10/10/2004, 11:06 PM
anyone hear why you couldn't find any working networks on our mobile phones from about 12 on Saturday morning in Paris?

caused some headaches ...

roboyle
10/10/2004, 11:30 PM
I thought that only happened to me... my mate's phone worked **most** of the time we were there but I arrived out Saturday and could't get connected to any of the three networks listed... Will ring O2 tomorrow to log a complaint.

Peadar
11/10/2004, 7:31 AM
It wasn't just O2, vodafarce was pants too.
It was a joke. UK phones worked fine but of course I hadn't brought mine.
I'm not impressed! :mad:

petef
11/10/2004, 7:42 AM
My UK phone was on the blink Saturday night. Came back on about mid morning Sunday, lads with Irish phones were still not working.

Bowsy
11/10/2004, 9:11 AM
Tell me about it. Arriving in Paris late and meeting up to pick up tickets it nearly caused me a lot of heartache but gladly didn't.

liam88
11/10/2004, 9:44 AM
Phoned up PP from here and was surpised at good reception-not sure how much it cost me (or ma parents!) though :D ;)

Peadar
11/10/2004, 9:48 AM
Phoned up PP from here and was surpised at good reception-not sure how much it cost me (or ma parents!) though :D ;)

The same price it would have cost them if you'd called him when he was in London. It's how much it cost PP that you should be worried about.

ptegan
11/10/2004, 10:09 AM
I don't know who's fault it was but pretty much all telephone networks were down in the St. Denis area from about 5 onwards, including all French ones.

liam88
11/10/2004, 10:27 AM
The same price it would have cost them if you'd called him when he was in London. It's how much it cost PP that you should be worried about.
:o :D Sure he didn't mind!

lopez
11/10/2004, 11:42 AM
I don't know who's fault it was but pretty much all telephone networks were down in the St. Denis area from about 5 onwards, including all French ones.I tried ringing out at HT. Thought it was because everyone else was doing it too. It's not the first time that's happened at football games for me.

boc123
11/10/2004, 11:48 AM
Vodafone said the problem lay with its main roaming partner, French mobile phone operator SFR, which was ill-prepared to deal with the surge of demand.

It happens at the big GAA games as well all the time :(

Gary Waddock
11/10/2004, 11:54 AM
The problem was with the French networks.....they weren't able to cope with all the extra traffic that was on their network around the Paris area..

..also France Telecom had some problem with their switching.

All Irish mbiles would have been affected

Peadar
11/10/2004, 11:57 AM
Vodafone said the problem lay with its main roaming partner, French mobile phone operator SFR, which was ill-prepared to deal with the surge of demand.

Bullsh!t!
What about the 2 other cell phone companies?
The same thing happened when I went to Nantes for the Cork City game.
There were only 500+ of us there.
They had the World Cup in France in 1998 with the final in Paris.
Are you telling me the phone network isn't capable of dealing with a few extra phones?
That's a cop out.

SÓC
11/10/2004, 12:34 PM
Bullsh!t!
What about the 2 other cell phone companies?
The same thing happened when I went to Nantes for the Cork City game.
There were only 500+ of us thereMine worked grand in Nantes but didnt work at all at all in France this time.

My brother in law came from London and took his UK Vodafone mobile with him, he was able to use it 90% of the time to phone out and send texts but couldnt recieve texts.

Total joke of a service by vodafone. They have it as a main selling point on their promotion material that you can roam with ease yet they feic it up in France. Vodafone knew well that there would be 30k Irish there they should have advised their partner SFR

Rover 2 U
11/10/2004, 12:43 PM
This was simply not on. It caused huge trouble over there with trying to arrange meet-ups and stuff, but it caused even bigger trouble when I got home, trying to explain to the better half why I didn't ring her for 3 days. Of course it was only when she asked did they not have public pay phones, that I remembered I could have used them. I must have been very very drunk. No, wait, I was! :eek:

It does rise the question though, just what exactly did we do before the birth of mobile phones? People must have never met up with anybody! :D

pete
12/10/2004, 2:23 PM
Seems fairly lame SFR couldn't cope with lets say extra 50k people in city of how many millions?

Were ye all in the same pub under the same receiver? ;)