PDA

View Full Version : LoI clubs activity in other counties?

Pages : [1] 2

legendz
16/09/2013, 9:10 PM
Only about half the counties have a League of Ireland club. Do any LoI clubs have links with junior/intermediate clubs in other counties or organise summer soccer camps or the like to work on the development of the game in nearby counties?

I come across comments from time to time that people should look beyond GAA county pride mentality. I'm interested to know are clubs themselves actively working across county boundaries to build connections with other regions?

nigel-harps1954
16/09/2013, 9:20 PM
A lot of places are too small to work off GAA mentality. Derry take in fans from North Donegal, Harps take in fans from as far as Fermanagh and Tyrone, while Sligo take in some fans from South Donegal, Mayo and Leitrim. So even just around 3 clubs there's a large mix of county differences.

A face
16/09/2013, 9:38 PM
Cork City have fans travelling from Kerry and Tipperary which is good considering the size of county Cork. Being honest if we could work on getting fans from all of the towns in the county then we'd be doing really well.

Jofspring
17/09/2013, 8:09 AM
We've had fans coming in from Kerry, Clare and Tipp. Couldn't tell you how many would actually be regulars. A lot of people travel in from west limerick also which can be a 40 minute drive.

gormacha
17/09/2013, 8:28 AM
To be honest, I'd settle for more people from our own area turning up. :/

longfordjames
17/09/2013, 9:19 AM
Longford, Athlone and Sligo would all have fans from Roscommon. Dublin clubs would have fans from Kildare. Wasn't there talks of Drogheda moving to Meath a few years ago. I presume they have some fans their.

Nesta99
17/09/2013, 2:02 PM
East Monaghan, Armagh, Down, Meath and even Dublin. Bigger matches have people travel from Cavan

Ezeikial
17/09/2013, 3:22 PM
East Monaghan, Armagh, Down, Meath and even Dublin. Bigger matches have people travel from Cavan

There needs to be a quota put on them Cavan heads

ArdeeBhoy
17/09/2013, 4:04 PM
And those R*yals.
:eek:

Overthemoon
17/09/2013, 5:59 PM
I know of two season ticket holders who travel from Cavan to Oriel every home game without fail!

Nesta99
17/09/2013, 6:01 PM
There needs to be a quota put on them Cavan heads

Including ex board members and chairmen!

MeathDrog
17/09/2013, 6:05 PM
Drogheda would gain sizeable support (relative to the crowds) from north east Meath (Slane, Duleek etc).

WindmillWarrior
17/09/2013, 6:10 PM
north county dublin too. Well we used to anyway!

legendz
17/09/2013, 6:25 PM
Nobody has answered my questions!

Do any LoI clubs have links with junior/intermediate clubs in other counties or organise summer soccer camps or the like to work on the development of the game in nearby counties?
Are clubs themselves actively working across county boundaries to build connections with other regions?

I know clubs have support from across county boundaries. What I'm interested to know is what are clubs themselves doing to gain support from a wider region? What are clubs doing across a wider region to help the development of the game?

TommyT
17/09/2013, 7:14 PM
Nobody has answered my questions!

Do any LoI clubs have links with junior/intermediate clubs in other counties or organise summer soccer camps or the like to work on the development of the game in nearby counties?
Are clubs themselves actively working across county boundaries to build connections with other regions?

That sort of thing is really the domain of the FAI not the senior clubs

legendz
17/09/2013, 8:33 PM
That sort of thing is really the domain of the FAI not the senior clubs

There's no reason senior clubs can't make it their domain. There's many regions of Ireland without a LoI club. If as some say that people in non-LoI areas should support their nearest LoI club, should their nearest LoI clubs be offering something for those areas in terms of the game's development and/or developing links with clubs in those areas?

nigel-harps1954
18/09/2013, 12:10 AM
There's no reason senior clubs can't make it their domain. There's many regions of Ireland without a LoI club. If as some say that people in non-LoI areas should support their nearest LoI club, should their nearest LoI clubs be offering something for those areas in terms of the game's development and/or developing links with clubs in those areas?

Clubs have enough bother trying to connect and link up with the local clubs and population in general without having to consider going outside of their traditional jurisdiction, for want of a better word.

Sam_Heggy
18/09/2013, 7:42 AM
http://www.swillyrovers.ie/index.php/91-general/121-swilly-rovers-and-harps-continue-to-harvest-talent

Harps have a set up with Swilly where we go in and coach their underage times every so often and get first tabs on their players in return.

Well, that's how it's meant to happen but you can't force players to come up if they want to sign for Derry, Sligo, etc.

Dodge
18/09/2013, 9:45 AM
Pats have a scholarship link up with NUI Maynooth.

http://communications.nuim.ie/press/07052013i.shtml

But the simple fact is that LSL clubs don't want to allign themselves to the LOI.

legendz
18/09/2013, 6:17 PM
Clubs have enough bother trying to connect and link up with the local clubs and population in general without having to consider going outside of their traditional jurisdiction, for want of a better word.
That's fair enough. It does seem a bit rich then though of some LoI supporters to expect people from a region without a club to support their nearest LoI club who've got no link to their region.

http://www.swillyrovers.ie/index.php/91-general/121-swilly-rovers-and-harps-continue-to-harvest-talent

Harps have a set up with Swilly where we go in and coach their underage times every so often and get first tabs on their players in return.

Well, that's how it's meant to happen but you can't force players to come up if they want to sign for Derry, Sligo, etc.
Thanks for the link. Enjoyed reading about that. Is it much of a cost to Harps to set-up a connection with a club like that? If Sligo Rovers were to build a connection with say Castlebar Celtic, would it be an arrangement that will be costly?

But the simple fact is that LSL clubs don't want to allign themselves to the LOI.
Like the Swilly Rovers report, interesting to read about that connection. Clubs don't necessarily have to align but if there's a mutual benefit for both parties, are junior/intermediate clubs likely no be open to a deal? If you take areas that had A Championship clubs - Tullamore Town, Carlow FC and Tralee Dynamos. Would there be benefit for nearby LoI clubs to set-up some connection with these clubs. Assist with soccer camps, training and the like.

Sam_Heggy
18/09/2013, 6:39 PM
Harps have a Scholorship arrangement with the LYIT also. 2 Scholorships a year at the minute I think but it does cost the club a few grand.

The Swilly tie up is free. We in turn provide coaching to their various underage sides.

redron
18/09/2013, 6:52 PM
The Swilly tie up is free. We in turn provide coaching to their various underage sides.

Well, I presume Harps covers the cost of providing the coaches, which might amount to travel expenses and some pocket money.

TommyT
18/09/2013, 9:24 PM

That's before we get to the fact that we (the LOI clubs) have enough to do sorting out our own schoolbaoy sections before we worry about anyone else's

Only about half the counties have a League of Ireland club.

TBH I find this statement a bit much. The overwhelming majority of the state's population have an LOI club within a half hours drive.

Jofspring
19/09/2013, 10:06 AM
TBH I find this statement a bit much. The overwhelming majority of the state's population have an LOI club within a half hours drive.

Agreed.

I hate making comparisons with other codes but if you even look at rugby Leinster is based in Dublin but it doesn't stop people traveling an hour or so for a game, people travel up from cork to limerick and vice versa for Munster games and so on for Connacht and ulster.

Tipp, Kerry, Clare, Mayo, Meath and many more counties don't have a LOI team but if the interest is there they can travel an hour or less for games. It's only in a rare place that you might have a two or three hour drive for a game.

legendz
19/09/2013, 7:14 PM
That's fair enough there are areas like that. Clubs don't seem to be doing a whole lot to build connections with these areas only half an hours drive away as you say.

Agreed.

I hate making comparisons with other codes but if you even look at rugby Leinster is based in Dublin but it doesn't stop people traveling an hour or so for a game, people travel up from cork to limerick and vice versa for Munster games and so on for Connacht and ulster.

Tipp, Kerry, Clare, Mayo, Meath and many more counties don't have a LOI team but if the interest is there they can travel an hour or less for games. It's only in a rare place that you might have a two or three hour drive for a game.
Again, another comment that is fair enough. You mention Tipp, Kerry, Clare, Mayo, Meath and many more counties. The point I'm making, or the question I'm asking really, is what work are LoI clubs doing to build connections with these areas?

In rugby, Munster have a connection with the clubs in the province. This it the point I'm getting at. Should LoI clubs be making connections with clubs in nearby areas?

A lot of the replies since I asked about "LoI clubs activity in other counties" is centred on getting people from nearby regions to games. If a connection is not made with an area, support is unlikely to happen.

Well, I presume Harps covers the cost of providing the coaches, which might amount to travel expenses and some pocket money.
Naturally there's going to be some costs. The Harps-Swilly connection seems to be keeping them to a minimum. It's not beyond more clubs to be able to provide underage training in nearby areas. FAI finances aren't great. They do get funding however. Should they be making funding available and work with LoI clubs to provide training etc.?

Charlie Darwin
19/09/2013, 8:14 PM
That's fair enough. It does seem a bit rich then though of some LoI supporters to expect people from a region without a club to support their nearest LoI club who've got no link to their region.
I don't think anybody expects that. A lot of people do expect that if somebody considers themselves a football support that they would seek out a nearby team in order to, you know, support football. If people are forever waiting for an LOI to team to show up at their front door and invite them down to the stadium, they'll be waiting a long time.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
19/09/2013, 10:58 PM
Munster has a connection with all the clubs in the province because all the clubsib he province are part of Munster. I always wonder how rugby would be doing if the Irish were made enter clubs into the Heineken Cup. Shannon, St Mary's, Crork Con etc. Those clubs would never garner the same level of support because they won't get fans from other areas.

I certainly know people not from Sligo who would openly say they have no connection with Rovers as they're a Sligo team but would travel twice the distance to watch Connacht as they have an association with that.

If we changed our name to North Rovers maybe......

Charlie Darwin
19/09/2013, 11:28 PM
Munster has a connection with all the clubs in the province because all the clubsib he province are part of Munster. I always wonder how rugby would be doing if the Irish were made enter clubs into the Heineken Cup. Shannon, St Mary's, Crork Con etc. Those clubs would never garner the same level of support because they won't get fans from other areas.

I certainly know people not from Sligo who would openly say they have no connection with Rovers as they're a Sligo team but would travel twice the distance to watch Connacht as they have an association with that.

How about The Fields of Athenry FC?

sadloserkid
20/09/2013, 9:45 AM
How about The Fields of Athenry FC?

Are you talking about Munster or Connacht? :)

legendz
20/09/2013, 5:51 PM

A discussion on Prime Time last night about English and French clubs threat of breaking away from the H Cup veered to how rugby be in Ireland could turn into the League of Ireland. The comments made were the best rugby players in the country will play abroad and the players playing in Ireland won't be known by the public.

Back on topic... you say there people not from Sligo say they've no connection with ye're club. Is is beyond Sligo Rovers to set up a link with Castlebar Celtic and create a connection with that area?

sadloserkid
20/09/2013, 10:57 PM
Back on topic... you say there people not from Sligo say they've no connection with ye're club. Is is beyond Sligo Rovers to set up a link with Castlebar Celtic and create a connection with that area?

I live in Mayo now and there are locals who are big Sligo fans. I think you're underestimating the capability of interested football fans to go and find senior teams to watch and overestimating the benefits of these tenuous links you're proposing. Limerick, for their part, have played minor cup games (Munster senior and league) and underage games at a few different places out the county and in Clare at times.

legendz
21/09/2013, 10:31 AM
I live in Mayo now and there are locals who are big Sligo fans. I think you're underestimating the capability of interested football fans to go and find senior teams to watch and overestimating the benefits of these tenuous links you're proposing. Limerick, for their part, have played minor cup games (Munster senior and league) and underage games at a few different places out the county and in Clare at times.
I don't underestimate that.

I've seen an expectation for people to support their nearest club. I think it's a fair question, what are clubs doing in those areas themselves? I'm not looking to focus solely on support from across county boundaries. For clubs themselves, having a larger pool of players to select from can only be a good thing? In the interest of the LoI gaining a stronger foothold in the Irish sporting world, some clubs with assistance from the FAI should work at the development of the game across a wider region.

Naturally fair play to people supporting their local or find a senior team to watch. People who find a senior team to watch because of none in their immediate local area, if they're interested in the development of the game, do you think they'd welcome LoI clubs getting involved?

TommyT
22/09/2013, 12:30 PM
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3237/4eh3.jpg

hedderman
22/09/2013, 4:40 PM
I don't think anybody expects that. A lot of people do expect that if somebody considers themselves a football support that they would seek out a nearby team in order to, you know, support football. If people are forever waiting for an LOI to team to show up at their front door and invite them down to the stadium, they'll be waiting a long time.

I started following Derry after a lad I was friendly with brought me along to a few matches. I wouldn't have gone to Brandywell otherwise. I wouldn't expect a person to seek out a nearby team to support. I think the above bolded statement points towards why attendances are poor.

Macy
24/09/2013, 1:56 PM
I live in Mayo now and there are locals who are big Sligo fans. I think you're underestimating the capability of interested football fans to go and find senior teams to watch
Sure don't they go hundreds of miles to England and Scotland to find teams to support?

and overestimating the benefits of these tenuous links you're proposing
And seriously underestimating the politics in Irish football, and the power within the FAI schoolboy leagues carry. Treading on their toes, without a root and branch reform of the FAI structure could well do more harm than good.

violinhero
24/09/2013, 2:00 PM
Sure don't they go hundreds of miles to England and Scotland to find teams to support?

And the problem with that is? Do you support a team in England yourself?

ltfc_2004
26/09/2013, 10:49 AM
Growing up in Roscommon, Longford Town was my nearest LOI Club and to this day at home I still have to answer why I follow Longford Town and not Roscommon or why I had a Longford Town jersey on !!!!! but happily in GAA, still be proud to be a Rossie .............

The only time my own town got into LOI was when John Rogers got into the Longford Town team ............. but since then few travel to games outside my family.

Macy
26/09/2013, 11:20 AM
And the problem with that is? Do you support a team in England yourself?
Did I say there was a problem? Why so defensive? I was just pointing out the contradiction of the "no local team" excuse that some people use to justify not supporting the LoI. They won't follow their nearest team, so instead they follow a team in a different country, which is illogical. Each to their own - people don't need to justify their choice not to support domestic football with pathetic excuses.

violinhero
26/09/2013, 1:17 PM
Did I say there was a problem? Why so defensive? I was just pointing out the contradiction of the "no local team" excuse that some people use to justify not supporting the LoI. They won't follow their nearest team, so instead they follow a team in a different country, which is illogical. Each to their own - people don't need to justify their choice not to support domestic football with pathetic excuses.

No you didn't, but if you don't have a problem with it why call it "pathetic"?

The very obvious difference between 'supporting' teams here as opposed to across the water shouldn't have to be explained to someone who is a supposed supporter of the domestic league. One of the main contexts of 'supporting' a 'local' club is primarily based on going to games, paying the admission and what not, and in general contributing in some financial fashion to the club.

Rather than calling peoples reasons 'pathetic', maybe you could outline the example you set and say how often this season you have gone to see either your local LoI club or your favourite LoI club? When was the most recent?

legendz
26/09/2013, 10:22 PM
Growing up in Roscommon, Longford Town was my nearest LOI Club and to this day at home I still have to answer why I follow Longford Town and not Roscommon or why I had a Longford Town jersey on !!!!! but happily in GAA, still be proud to be a Rossie .............

The only time my own town got into LOI was when John Rogers got into the Longford Town team ............. but since then few travel to games outside my family.
We had near LoI action in Kerry when the Kerry League beat Waterford United in a penalty shoot-out in the League Cup. They have of course played in that competition a number of times and Tralee Dynamos were in the A Championship.
With a number of areas without LoI clubs, should the quarter-finalists of the Oscar Traynor Cup be invited to enter the League Cup to give players a taste of LoI action?

Macy
27/09/2013, 8:05 AM
No you didn't, but if you don't have a problem with it why call it "pathetic"?
I didn't call supporting a british team pathetic. I called using the excuse of no local team to not support the LoI pathetic. I don't care if people choose not to go to the LoI, it's their loss - they should have the backbone to stand by that decision without feeling the need to justify it with excuses.

violinhero
27/09/2013, 8:44 AM
I didn't call supporting a british team pathetic. I called using the excuse of no local team to not support the LoI pathetic. I don't care if people choose not to go to the LoI, it's their loss - they should have the backbone to stand by that decision without feeling the need to justify it with excuses.

Where did I say you called supporting a British team “pathetic”?

I go see my nearest LoI team about 4 to 5 times per season, not a lot I know, yet when I’m talking to other local supposed supporters they are constantly moaning about how so many people ‘support British teams’ and ‘the irish team’ rather than their own. Yet I know for a fact that none of them bother their backsides going to an LoI game, but they’ll sing the odds down the pub when things are going well. Another example is the local know-it-all LoI fan declaring he’ll ‘never let his young daughters play gaelic football, because it’s a *******ised version of soccer’. Yet he’s standing there saying this in a Leinster rugby jersey and hasn't been to any LoI game in donkeys.

So, I ask again, maybe you could outline the example you set and say how often this season you have gone to see either your local LoI club or your favourite LoI club? When was the most recent?

hedderman
27/09/2013, 10:08 AM

What's pathetic about it? Why support a League of Ireland team if you have no emotional connection to the team/club/area?

I think the above post is an example of a no-one likes us we don't care attitude that has hindered the development of the league.

Why should people have to justify not going to League of Ireland games? Surely, it should be our responsibility as fans to encourage people to go to games, not criticise them for not attending for whatever reason.

dejadem
27/09/2013, 10:22 AM
Why should people have to justify not going to League of Ireland games?

They don't, but isn't the point that some feel the need to, listing off all the reasons why? no club close, EPL standard, facilities, no Irish internationals, not welcoming etc.

Macy
27/09/2013, 11:05 AM
So, I ask again, maybe you could outline the example you set and say how often this season you have gone to see either your local LoI club or your favourite LoI club? When was the most recent?
I don't see the relevance - I don't feel obliged to justify who, why or how often I support a club. I'm comfortable with it myself.

Why should people have to justify not going to League of Ireland games? Surely, it should be our responsibility as fans to encourage people to go to games, not criticise them for not attending for whatever reason.
They don't - that's my bloody point FFS! There seems to be an inability to say "I don't support the League of Ireland." It more often than not has to be accompanied with a "because... I've no local team/ the standards rubbish/ grounds are crap etc etc". I'd much rather more go to games, and do try to encourage people to give it a go (at any club).

I didn't criticise the choice not go, I criticised the excuse making. These types of ultra defensive posts kind of prove the point. You make you're own choice, don't feel the need to justify it!

violinhero
27/09/2013, 11:33 AM
I don't see the relevance - I don't feel obliged to justify who, why or how often I support a club. I'm comfortable with it myself.

Now whose being ultra defensive?? This further proves my point that very often the mouthpieces harping on about the lack of support for LoI clubs as opposed to 'british clubs' are the very ones that don't do much (or any) supporting themselves. They might just use a different 'excuse' as you might put it.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe having 'no local team' isn't actually an excuse, but a very good reason for some people? I am assuming that before making your sweeping generalisation that you took the time to look and see that there is an LoI Club that is accessible to people in the four corners of Ireland, did you? Maybe people do find the standard crap, or the grounds rubbish, or the location too far away, and maybe that actually does put them off. Why are any of those three points 'pathetic' excuses?

Ironically, I'm fairly sure if someone was in conversation with you and asked you why you haven't been to see an LoI game in such a long time, you would end up babbling on trying to justify why you haven't been, and there is a huge element of hypocrisy in that. That, my friend, is pathetic.

legendz
28/09/2013, 2:45 PM
Getting this discussion some way back on topis:
Sligo Rovers: Castlebar.
Limerick FC: Tralee, Ennis and Nenagh/Thurles
Cork City: Killarney
Waterford United: Clonmel and Kilkenny
Athlone Town: Tullamore
Bray Wanderers: Carlow
Drogheda United: Co. Meath
Dundalk: Cavan and Monaghan

I'd like to see the league being more central to the development of the game within this country. As there are many regions without a club, it should be good for the game for LoI clubs to have links with junior clubs from nearby areas and for them to possibly run summer camps in these areas. It'll raise the profile of LoI clubs to a wider area. With a bit of luck for them, they might gain a few more players who'll have an impact for them.

MeathDrog
28/09/2013, 3:24 PM
Drogheda have had underage teams from Meath play at half time quite a few times this season. In terms of appetite for LOI football in Meath, although junior football is strong (Meath & District League) it just simply isn't there.

violinhero
28/09/2013, 7:27 PM
I don't see the relevance - I don't feel obliged to justify who, why or how often I support a club. I'm comfortable with it

Of course its relevant, but i see your reasons for refusing to answer the simple straightforward questions.

I'm assuming that before you labelled peoples excuses pathetic you thought to look and see that every part of the country was accessible to a football club??? Because I dont think you did.

The simple fact is that it is no more a pathetic excuse than not going because you work nights; or because you have kids now; or because in this day and age you cant afford it. They are no different than saying you live too far away. Are they all pathetic too?

What is pathetic is the negative lads that moan about others 'excuses' for not going when they can't admit to the fact that they don't attend themselves...

legendz
28/09/2013, 7:39 PM
Drogheda have had underage teams from Meath play at half time quite a few times this season. In terms of appetite for LOI football in Meath, although junior football is strong (Meath & District League) it just simply isn't there.
That'd be the more reason for Drogheda to run soccer camps in Meath if they don't already and build some links with 1 or 2 junior clubs. It doesn't have to be anything that costs a lot, just something that builds a connection and helps the development of the game.