PDA

View Full Version : Henry Acknowledges Republic Threat

robbie_B
10/10/2004, 7:13 PM
Henry Acknowledges Republic Threat

France striker Thierry Henry believes the Republic of Ireland pose a real threat to his nation's hopes of reaching the World Cup finals.

For the second successive match at the Stade de France, new coach Raymond Domenech saw his team held to a goalless Group Four draw, initially by Israel, and then on Saturday night by Ireland.

It is clear France are no longer the fearful team that swept all before them in winning the World Cup in 1998 on home soil, and then the European Championships two years later.

They may have boasted an unblemished record in qualifying for Euro 2004, but since the finals in Portugal in the summer, France have lost their way.

The retirement of key players like Zinedine Zidane has undoubtedly weakened the squad, while Domenech is still struggling to find the right personnel, organisation and tactics to carry France forward.

Henry recognises this and feels Brian Kerr's team are dangerous, having witnessed first-hand characteristics in the Irish squad.

When asked whether Ireland were France's strongest rivals in the group, the Arsenal striker replied: "It is difficult to say because Israel did the same to us.

"The group is open, but going forward Ireland are the best team I have seen so far and they definitely showed they have quality."

Although Switzerland, Ireland, France and Israel all have five points from three games, it is the Republic who would appear to have made the best start bearing in mind their away results against the Swiss and French.

As far as Henry is concerned, and drawing on his experiences with Arsenal last season, it is not that simple.

"You have some teams playing better away from home and some teams playing better at home," added Henry.

"There are so many strange things happening in football. Look at us in the Champions League last season.

"Everyone said to us that after one point from three games we were out, yet we finished top of the group.

"I know this is a different thing, but things happen in football that you can never predict.

"That's why we all like football because if it was always the same then it would be boring.

"Ireland will probably think they can win the group, but everyone can think that, like Israel after they also drew here.

"Maybe when Ireland drew in Switzerland they felt the same then. It's a pretty tight group and we will see, but Ireland are a very good team."

thejollyrodger
10/10/2004, 8:39 PM
har har me jim lad , good to hear dem der fellows know we have them by the gallows.

"You have some teams playing better away from home and some teams playing better at home," added Henry.

I think that we play our best at home and can beat anyone, France, Switzerland, Israel et al.

tricky_colour
10/10/2004, 11:57 PM
har har me jim lad , good to hear dem der fellows know we have them by the gallows.

I think that we play our best at home and can beat anyone, France, Switzerland, Israel et al.

Well that is what I hope and we do play our best at home, we will
need to.

I am not counting my chickens though, there is a long long way to
go in this group and France, Switzerland and Israel will all be expecting
to take points off us. I would love us to get nine points..but we will
have to wait and see. I would take six if offered it now, probably ;)