PDA

View Full Version : Austria V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 10th September 2013 - World Cup 14 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DannyInvincible
08/09/2013, 1:46 PM
I suppose someone might as well bother setting up a thread for this one...

Walters sat out training today and Stephen Quinn has been called into the squad to replace the injured Whelan: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0908/472951-walters-misses-ireland-training/

NeverFeltBetter
08/09/2013, 1:59 PM
With Ireland needing a win, will we see some version of the Paris approach? Even a failing one would be preferable to the way that Ireland went about their business for the last hour against Sweden.

Grafter
08/09/2013, 2:51 PM
It would be nice if McClean, McCarthy or Coleman broke their scoring duck on Tues. Hopefully there'll be some drama in Astana beforehand to match Armenia tonking Slovakia in last campaign.

DannyInvincible
08/09/2013, 3:16 PM
With Ireland needing a win, will we see some version of the Paris approach?

Perhaps not; Trap's priority now appears to be ensuring we don't finish below third: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/nobody-could-do-job-better-than-me-insists-trapattoni-29561552.html

Ireland are now fourth in the group, well behind runaway leaders Germany, three points behind Sweden, and level on 11 points with Tuesday's opponents Austria, although with a vastly inferior goal difference. "We must not lose the third place," said Trapattoni. It is unlikely to be enough to save his job but the manager was defiant.

Ho hum...

Crosby87
08/09/2013, 3:21 PM
Of all the famous Austrians Im surprised they chose Ernst to name the stadium after.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnX7qmjVMB_MZHEyLhgbGg2fCaaRhT8 5QYz3Co3174mmq_uOGP

DannyInvincible
08/09/2013, 3:38 PM
Of all the famous Austrians Im surprised they chose Ernst to name the stadium after.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnX7qmjVMB_MZHEyLhgbGg2fCaaRhT8 5QYz3Co3174mmq_uOGP

Why? He was very successful in the game and is obviously highly-regarded in Austria. Plus, Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Stadion is much too long, even if Sturm Graz did go with him for a few years...

Paddy Garcia
08/09/2013, 5:10 PM
I can think of a much more famous Austrian!

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2013, 5:17 PM
You wouldn't happen to be thinking of a certain politically-radical painter, would you?

shakermaker1982
08/09/2013, 5:55 PM
Predictions for the team anybody?

Will he go for Paul Green or Wes?

Will the Trap accept Walters on the wing is as ineffective as sticking Cox on the wing?

liamoo11
08/09/2013, 9:00 PM
Predictions for the team anybody?

Will he go for Paul Green or Wes?

Will the Trap accept Walters on the wing is as ineffective as sticking Cox on the wing?

I think he will bring wes in for whelan, clark for dunne, brady for walters and pilks for mcclean.

Grafter
08/09/2013, 9:10 PM
I think he will bring wes in for whelan, clark for dunne, brady for walters and pilks for mcclean.

Tardelli and himself seem to like S Quinn, wouldn't surprise me if he was in for Whelan instead.
Really makes a mockery of this player standby mularky when you have Quinn leapfrogging the "on standby" Meyler and being parachuted into squad.

liamoo11
08/09/2013, 9:17 PM
Tardelli and himself seem to like S Quinn, wouldn't surprise me if he was in for Whelan instead.
Really makes a mockery of this player standby mularky when you have Quinn leapfrogging the "on standby" Meyler and being parachuted into squad.

That would be interesting. Maybe even robbie starting on the bench and quinn and wes making up the 3 to match up austria.

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2013, 9:21 PM
I can't see McClean being dropped, unless Trap has decided his mistake was the crucial one for the first goal. Even so, it would be harsh because I think he did well and we'll need his enthusiasm to drive us on in Vienna. I think it'll be Green for Whelan, Clark for Dunne and possibly Pilkington for Walters, depending on the latter's fitness.

I thought that was odd too. If anything, Meyler is in the same mould as Whelan in that he's not great on the ball but will do a thoroughly disciplined job whereas Quinn is more in the McCarthy mould.

punkrocket
08/09/2013, 10:24 PM

Josef Fritzel? FFS have you no shame?

jbyrne
09/09/2013, 3:51 PM
pilkington and green in for mcclean and whelan. no other changes

Junior
09/09/2013, 3:55 PM
McClean injured? Nothing surprises me any more with Traps team selection but he was one of the better players on Friday can see no reason whatsoever for swapping Mclean for Pilks.

EDIT: Sorry jbyrne - is that official?

jbyrne
09/09/2013, 3:58 PM
McClean injured? Nothing surprises me any more with Traps team selection but he was one of the better players on Friday can see no reason whatsoever for swapping Mclean for Pilks.

EDIT: Sorry jbyrne - is that official?

yes. seen it in a couple of places.
id say pilkington is in to freshen things up. mcclean was decent on Friday alright.

geysir
09/09/2013, 4:02 PM
It looks official.

Forde,
Coleman, O'Shea, Dunne, Wilson;
Walters, Green, McCarthy, Pilkington;
Keane, Long

Walters must be thin as a rake by now.
I haven't a clue about Pilkington, have hardly seen him play, but how did he jump ahead of Brady in Trap's psyche test?

Charlie Darwin
09/09/2013, 4:37 PM
By being older, I guess, and physically bigger.

back of the net
09/09/2013, 4:46 PM
Walters, Green, McCarthy, Pilkington;

Deep sighhhhhhhhhhhh

barney
09/09/2013, 5:00 PM
Deep sighhhhhhhhhhhh

To be honest, from that midfield, the one that makes the least sense is Walters. Why in the name of f**k Trap persists with him on the right hand side I don't know. He offers very little.

Green isn't as bad as most people make him out to be. His isn't Messi, granted, but some of the abuse he gets is over the top. Wes was never getting the nod for this one. Had McCarthy been injured it was a possibility but with it being Whelan out, Green was always the likely replacement.

back of the net
09/09/2013, 5:16 PM
To be honest, from that midfield, the one that makes the least sense is Walters. Why in the name of f**k Trap persists with him on the right hand side I don't know. He offers very little.

Green isn't as bad as most people make him out to be. His isn't Messi, granted, but some of the abuse he gets is over the top. Wes was never getting the nod for this one. Had McCarthy been injured it was a possibility but with it being Whelan out, Green was always the likely replacement.

dont get me wrong barney , i think they are all decent players - my earlier post was more aimed we have another night of the same bullsh*t ahead from trap in a game we must win

Stuttgart88
09/09/2013, 5:16 PM
Walters is there to win the high balls lumped forward to the right and to add muscle in the final third. He's limited as a wide midfielder in the orthodox sense.

Would like to have seen Brady and / or Hoolahan just to have at least one other proper footballer out there but having seen Green and McCarthy play well together in Stockholm I won't grumble. I've nailed my colours to the mast regarding replacing Whelan as being the single most important change that can be made to the usual team / system so it'll be interesting to see if this is right.

barney
09/09/2013, 5:22 PM
dont get me wrong barney , i think they are all decent players - my earlier post was more aimed we have another night of the same bullsh*t ahead from trap in a game we must win

Fair point. I had the same reaction as you to be honest.

barney
09/09/2013, 5:25 PM
Walters is there to win the high balls lumped forward to the right and to add muscle in the final third. He's limited as a wide midfielder in the orthodox sense.

Would like to have seen Brady and / or Hoolahan just to have at least one other proper footballer out there but having seen Green and McCarthy play well together in Stockholm I won't grumble. I've nailed my colours to the mast regarding replacing Whelan as being the single most important change that can be made to the usual team / system so it'll be interesting to see if this is right.

Maybe that's the thinking but I really don't think anything he offers in the air comes even remotely close to compensating for what we lose by playing him there. The second Sweden goal the other night came from a stupid high ball towards our right hand side. Don't get me wrong, I like Walters up top but as a wide midfielder, we may as well be playing my ould wan.

jbyrne
09/09/2013, 5:26 PM
I've nailed my colours to the mast regarding replacing Whelan as being the single most important change that can be made to the usual team / system so it'll be interesting to see if this is right.

couldnt agree with this more. whelans lack of mobility is one of our biggest problems by far.
green bashers would do well to remember that his last few outings have been good for us (especially Sweden away)

back of the net
09/09/2013, 5:49 PM

Agree with alot of this....i.e Brady , Green etc but disagree on walters , i think he offers very little in that role to the team and his ability is wasted out there

Stuttgart88
09/09/2013, 5:54 PM
Agree with alot of this....i.e Brady , Green etc but disagree on walters , i think he offers very little in that role to the team and his ability is wasted out thereDisagree with me? Never!

Actually what I was saying was that's why I think Trap picks him there, not why I think he should be there. I'd pick a natural wide player myself and think of Walters as a centre-forward only.

back of the net
09/09/2013, 5:57 PM
Disagree with me? Never!

Actually what I was saying was that's why I think Trap picks him there, not why I think he should be there. I'd pick a natural wide player myself and think of Walters as a centre-forward only.

Apologies Stutts - point accepted

if Sweden don’t win in Kazahstan tomorrow and Germany Beat the faroe islands tomorrow nite - then Germany will qualify as group winners tomorrow nite - Correct?

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 6:39 PM
Apologies Stutts - point accepted

if Sweden don’t win in Kazahstan tomorrow and Germany Beat the faroe islands tomorrow nite - then Germany will qualify as group winners tomorrow nite - Correct?

That'd be right. With two games to play, Germany would be on 22 points with Sweden at least 7 points behind on either 15 or 14. Any winner in our fixture would be sitting on 14 points.

Grafter
09/09/2013, 8:50 PM
Here's to Sweden slipping on a banana in Astana tomorrow:very_drunk:

geysir
09/09/2013, 9:21 PM
Last campaign we had the unlikely defibrillator boost to our dying qual hopes when Slovakia were hammered by Armenia at home, so who knows anything?

back of the net
10/09/2013, 11:57 AM
Last campaign we had the unlikely defibrillator boost to our dying qual hopes when Slovakia were hammered by Armenia at home, so who knows anything?

Unfortunately Geysir, the corpse is rotting now.....not sure a defibrillator is going to work this time ......but we can live in hope

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2013, 12:11 PM
It's both sunny weather and mood-wise in Wien.

Though doubtful will be so by 2240 C.E.T.

In some ways a relief?

Serb
10/09/2013, 3:14 PM
I'm happy enough with the back line and the front line. As always, it's the midfield that's sketchy. Walters isn't a winger. None of our strikers are wingers. Yet every ****ing game we play a striker as a winger. I just don't get it. Presumably Robbie Brady is fit and good to go? He should be down the right. Brady also offers a top quality set piece (something which I think Pilkington is also decent at).

I'm not totally against Paul Green — no-one is in doubt about his ability; average at best; maybe David Meyler could have been brought in, but I think right now, they're around the same level. Paul Green, at club level anyway, is good for a few goals every now and then, so maybe he'll claim the winner? Imagine that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game, I hope we can win this regardless of our chances of qualifying in the long run.

centre mid
10/09/2013, 5:23 PM
Sweden 1-0 inside 2 mins

DannyInvincible
10/09/2013, 5:29 PM
It was fuppin' inside 30 seconds! Kazakhstan started from the kick-off like headless chickens on speed.

Fergie's Son
10/09/2013, 6:41 PM
Disappointing line up. He's already playing for the draw. Time to put this thing out of it's misery. Get someone new in who just might experiment a little bit.

dr_peepee
10/09/2013, 7:27 PM
OMFG!!! Brady is talking some serious balls defending Trapp!!

Grafter
10/09/2013, 7:29 PM
They say who finishes second in our group could miss out on playoffs anyway being the second placed team with lowest points.
I was just thinking the blue murder that would ensue if England happen to be in that second placed scenario..... seriously there would be a riot!!!;)

DannyInvincible
10/09/2013, 7:32 PM
OMFG!!! Brady is talking some serious balls defending Trapp!!

Dunphy whilst re-watching Alaba's equaliser in Dublin: "Here's the winning goal."

texidub
10/09/2013, 7:33 PM
Does anyone have a link for this game?

(Why do I do this to myself? Why does some tiny part of me still believe that we can pull off an heroic away win? :D )

tricky_colour
10/09/2013, 7:37 PM
Does anyone have a link for this game?

(Why do I do this to myself? Why does some tiny part of me still believe that we can pull off an heroic away win? :D )

Link here unfortunately it seems to be Austrian commentary.

http://www.coolsport.tv/stream9.html

DannyInvincible
10/09/2013, 7:42 PM
RTÉ stream here: http://www.viplivesports.eu/sports/football/174261/1/austria-vs-ireland-live-stream-online.html

texidub
10/09/2013, 7:43 PM
Thanks tricky_colour and DannyInvincible! If the RTE stream doesn't work, I will try the old trick of synching online RTE radio with the video stream.. helps kill the time between long balls

BonnieShels
10/09/2013, 7:48 PM
Austria are poor

The two results with them and Sweden are all the more galling now.

Fergie's Son
10/09/2013, 8:17 PM
We almost scored there. Austria don't look great.

tricky_colour
10/09/2013, 8:19 PM
RTÉ stream here: http://www.viplivesports.eu/sports/football/174261/1/austria-vs-ireland-live-stream-online.html

Thanks Ireland seem to be playing better on that link, at least they were until the Austrians nearly scored!!!

tricky_colour
10/09/2013, 8:22 PM
Crumbs it's livened up a bit!!!

BonnieShels
10/09/2013, 8:30 PM
Austria are gash