PDA

View Full Version : Cousins Out

Pages : [1] 2

Keen2win
30/08/2013, 8:56 PM
Now... That is all. I'm sick

outspoken
31/08/2013, 12:38 AM
This has gone on long enough the man does not deserve to be our manager, the fans are the only ones suffering through this SACK HIM NOW

Darklordsbane
31/08/2013, 7:49 PM
Cousins has to look back at the results before the transfers were brought in (you all know who I mean) 1 transfer player has started and played every minute of every match.

Before De Town were inflicted with his presence
played 17, won 10, drew 4, lost 3
after transfers
played 9, won 2, drew 2, lost 5 (including cup)

how that is not noticed is mind boggling, I know there have been loads of players suspended and injured but the other transfers contribute to the play when they are set up to try to play the ball on the ground,
at the moment it wouldn't matter if we had the Barca midfield they wouldn't get the ball because of all the hoofing over their heads,

L.T.F.C.
31/08/2013, 8:33 PM
It also coincided with Coffey leaving.

Darklordsbane
01/09/2013, 6:28 AM
Very true but 1 coach/player can't make a team but 1 coach/player sure can break it

outspoken
01/09/2013, 11:18 AM
Cousins has to look back at the results before the transfers were brought in (you all know who I mean) 1 transfer player has started and played every minute of every match.

Before De Town were inflicted with his presence
played 17, won 10, drew 4, lost 3
after transfers
played 9, won 2, drew 2, lost 5 (including cup)

how that is not noticed is mind boggling, I know there have been loads of players suspended and injured but the other transfers contribute to the play when they are set up to try to play the ball on the ground,
at the moment it wouldn't matter if we had the Barca midfield they wouldn't get the ball because of all the hoofing over their heads,

We all know its O'Brien you are referring to and its a ridiculous to claim he is the reason we've collapsed. He has great ability but he doesnt want to use it even Friday night he lost the ball and refused to track back and when Cousins had a go at him O'Brien blamed everyone but himself. The man is a pure ego and there's a few players like that that need to go but as much as I dislike him you can't say it's all his fault.

Chelsea collapsed when Wilkins left and we have collapsed since Coffey left.....That is something you can definitely point to as one of the reasons behind the collapse. Gary Cronin is a lovely fella you couldnt meet a nicer guy but I cant see him adding anything and as for Deans please dont get me started.

From speaking to people since Friday a lot have said they are voting with their feet for the Harps game and as much as I would love to stay away I can't because I love the club too much but maybe it's an empty stadium from now until the end of the season that will wake the decision makers up and say enough is enough, he has to go and go now!

Darklordsbane
01/09/2013, 3:02 PM
I am not saying it is totally down to O Brein, but his attitude stinks and it appears to me to spread through the team as the match goes on, it's hard enough to do your own job without carrying him as well, De Town need 11 players who will fight like warriors for 90 minutes Cousins can afford to drop him now as there is 4 points between Mervue and Longford I think Ebbe should get a chance on the wing not sure if he has a left foot but he can't be any worse than O brien

outspoken
01/09/2013, 5:29 PM
I am not saying it is totally down to O Brein, but his attitude stinks and it appears to me to spread through the team as the match goes on, it's hard enough to do your own job without carrying him as well, De Town need 11 players who will fight like warriors for 90 minutes Cousins can afford to drop him now as there is 4 points between Mervue and Longford I think Ebbe should get a chance on the wing not sure if he has a left foot but he can't be any worse than O brien

Fair enough. Valid points il agree with ya on that.

fitzpatrick10
04/09/2013, 7:54 PM
http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/aftermatch-reaction-longford-town-waterford-united/

same old sh1t.. o we took off des and had to reshuffle back four blahblah

outspoken
05/09/2013, 4:56 PM
http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/aftermatch-reaction-longford-town-waterford-united/
same old sh1t.. o we took off des and had to reshuffle back four blahblah

Those 2 interviews couldn't be any more contrasting. How many times have we heard 'we just have to win the next game' 'we just have to go on a run' absolute rubbish from Cousins he's a total spoofer! As you pointed out Fitzy why reshuffle the back 4 when he could have just put Macker in? Macker isn't quick but he would have won every header, he's good with the ball and pace wouldn't be a huge issue as he would be coming on fresh and has a pacey enough centre half along side him. Cousins clearly didnt learn from the mistake of reshuffling the back 4 unnecessarily against mervue united, in fact he hasn't learnt from any of his mistakes. I really can't understand why he is still in charge, are the board not seeing the same things we are seeing?

Darklordsbane
08/09/2013, 9:31 AM
I wasn't there last night but I heard Cousins made a few changes to the usual suspects, Finn Harps guy told me we were much better than the last few times we played them, if thats true well done Cousins

outspoken
08/09/2013, 10:59 AM
I wasn't there last night but I heard Cousins made a few changes to the usual suspects, Finn Harps guy told me we were much better than the last few times we played them, if thats true well done Cousins

Cousins did his best to throw away that game last night! 3-0 up and under no pressure and he panicks by taking off a striker (sully) and puts on Gillespie (typical) and the back 4 dropped onto the 18yrd line and invited Harps onto them and as a result they scored. The man is totally clueless.

IrishRossi
10/09/2013, 12:23 PM
who do replace him with,

Acornvilla
11/09/2013, 1:44 AM
Matthews' football was crap most of the time but it was better organised than Cousins', he'd certainly have gotten us promoted by now with this squad that's for sure.. Callaghan seemed to do a decent job with Bohs, I'd say he's learned a lot and could do a decent job with us too if given a shot.. That'd be two names who spring to mind who wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

fitzpatrick10
11/09/2013, 2:25 AM
cousins out... trap in...

L.T.F.C.
11/09/2013, 3:03 AM
Callaghan and Mathews are not the steps we need to be taking here. Callaghan is a good coach but shocking manager. I never liked the way Mathews had us play so I wouldn't be mad on him either.

Acornvilla
11/09/2013, 8:03 AM
Callaghan and Mathews are not the steps we need to be taking here. Callaghan is a good coach but shocking manager. I never liked the way Mathews had us play so I wouldn't be mad on him either.
Callaghan did very little wrong with bohs on a tiny budget and got harshly sacked, I think hes improved as a manager over the past few years, the experience with them would serve him well no doubt. It depends on what's available really, but they were the only two off the top of my head who we know could do a job and might be interested.

We all want a coach to build a team to play a bit of ball, but we aren't usually able to be overly picky. Throw bags of money at Cooke..

L.T.F.C.
11/09/2013, 4:12 PM
Mick Cooke is worse than both of the above combined if you're looking for ball.

outspoken
11/09/2013, 4:20 PM
Callahan is a shocking manager, Matthews I wouldn't have back long term for reasons already stated. Mick Cooke is another long ball merchant I would agree and the reason he is leaving Drogheda is due to a small budget so I don't think we could get him if we tried. Pete Mahon is the outstanding candidate but again money maybe the issue

Acornvilla
11/09/2013, 4:25 PM
So as I was saying, basically we don't have any options great options as regards established managers, at least nothing obvious. More than likely we'll just get more hoofball but we may hope they can at least organize a team ala Matthews. Theres no point complaining about the lads we'll likely get and say they're crap if there's nothing better available. At least the names mentioned before are all better than Tony is imo.

L.T.F.C.
11/09/2013, 11:06 PM
At the minute...

Darklordsbane
12/09/2013, 5:52 AM
If by some miracle De Town get to the premier league this season I doubt the owners/board will sack him, whoever gets the job will need to get rid of and bring in at least 6 players, it will take a lot of rebuilding to survive in the premier league, have the board got the funds to build a good team with the view of climbing the table over the next few years

outspoken
12/09/2013, 8:12 AM
If by some miracle De Town get to the premier league this season I doubt the owners/board will sack him, whoever gets the job will need to get rid of and bring in at least 6 players, it will take a lot of rebuilding to survive in the premier league, have the board got the funds to build a good team with the view of climbing the table over the next few years

Disagree I think they'll sack him regardless just like limerick did with scully.

Acornvilla
12/09/2013, 11:09 AM
Well, isn't his contract up, so no sacking needed.

Darklordsbane
22/09/2013, 1:00 PM
I think Cousins should get a bit of credit for the performances of late, maybe it was by accident but his selections are starting to do the business.
I know we were probably a bit flattered by beating Cobh 7-2 but we have had plenty of bad luck so maybe it's starting to swing our way
Barring a miricle it's too little too late, but winning is a good habit to get into, especially with the play offs coming up if they keep it up they will get to the play offs, and who knows from there

Acornvilla
22/09/2013, 2:49 PM
Ever since we changed our name to Little Mayo Town, results have been great. I think we're on to something.

outspoken
22/09/2013, 6:13 PM
Ever since we changed our name to Little Mayo Town, results have been great. I think we're on to something.

A mayo man even scored last night, Ryan Connolly. Who needs all those dubs....oh wait (;

Martinho II
22/09/2013, 9:00 PM
I was at the shels bohs game fri nite and shels were awful.. if we got them in the playoffs I would be delighted... I dont want Bohs as bohs are starting to play well since Heary/Browne took over.The catch is Shels have to win their game in hand to get off bottom spot. is it true that there was only 100 ppl last night at it? I couldnt make it as was working till half six yesterday but thats a shockin crowd!

outspoken
23/09/2013, 9:22 PM
I was at the shels bohs game fri nite and shels were awful.. if we got them in the playoffs I would be delighted... I dont want Bohs as bohs are starting to play well since Heary/Browne took over.The catch is Shels have to win their game in hand to get off bottom spot. is it true that there was only 100 ppl last night at it? I couldnt make it as was working till half six yesterday but thats a shockin crowd!

I would have guessed 200 but like I said it very well could have been less with a lot of regular supporters missing for different reasons.

Macy
24/09/2013, 1:36 PM
We'd only the blow the feckin final.

fitzpatrick10
29/09/2013, 1:37 AM
Even if we do make the playoffs we wont go up, for me I feel that all the blame cant be put on to cousins, of late he has picked our best 11 imo, the players have to accept some of the responsibility too, our performance against mervue was painfull to watch, we created nothing, I think we had 5 or 6 corners in a row and not one a good delivery , we have a make shift back four that are by no means any addition, des hope isn’t fully fit, and for tony to start mullhall last week ahead of this glen o conner lad just shows you what confidence he has in him..
Silly mistakes that both players and the manager should of learned from, we make so many simple mistakes it so ****in annoying
Now im by no means giving cousins a pass, I do think he has to go regardless of where we end up this year but im just saying its not ALL his fault, players simply arnt good enough, they haven’t stood up and been counted for any of the big games this season!
Itll be a few years yet before we get up, only for david o Sullivan in the team we would be no where near 2nd in the table, for shaw to only get one goal so far this season for the amount of game time he has had is crazy..

also there was a great point made on the bus home friday, how come the fans dont even know how long his contract is for!

Darklordsbane
29/09/2013, 7:51 AM
I have said it before, it has to be the training, De Town are not fit, yeah they can run around for a while but not for the whole match. They must have the best pre season because they start the season flying then it drops off, similar in matches, start well, huge lull in performance then after that rest finish well.
Other good teams soak up our pressure maybe conceed a goal or two and then pile on their own pressure, De Town collapse and let them back in the game.
I highlighted this months ago and used Connelly as an example, how is he so much fitter, it has to be down to the training he got with Sligo, someone said the difference was he wasn't a part timer. Well compare GAA players, they are all part timers too,
I would bet my house most gaa players are fitter than Longford town fc players

Macy
29/09/2013, 9:37 AM
I do think he has to go at the end of the season. He's lost the crowd whatever about the dressing room (not that any manager has really had the crowd since St Stephen). A player who we uncover who is crap, it's his fault. A decent player who is uncovered and people are falling over themselves to credit someone (anyone?) else, which is ridiculous. Both cases come from his structure, and from him picking the on and off the field team - some fans are inventing reasons to do him down IMO.

This season has pretty much mirrored last season - Coffey was there then, but apparently its all down to him going this season? Personally I think we've had a decent squad at the start of the season the past two years, but haven't been able to re-up either tactically or with purchases come mid season. That is a failure of the management IMO (although there has to be question of funds as well given signings our rivals made - I'd like to think the committee are taking a long term view (the right view)).

The players also have to take responsibility - they haven't stepped up when things went pear shaped - individually or collectively.

outspoken
29/09/2013, 12:05 PM
Macy makes an excellent point about mid season signings I think the last 2 seasons that has been our massive down fall but especially this season.

As for the players they can only play as they are told/trained to do so so I wouldn't blame all of them as they work their heart out on the pitch for us but certain players have a huge ego problem and they need to go at the end of the season.

Il give cousins praise where it's due and he has built a superb squad the last 2 seasons so that's a plus point for him as manager but he's terrible tactically, he's a terrible man manager which can be seen from his freezing out of certain players throughout the season (as Fitzy said why is des hope being asked to play half goosed every week when McCarthy is sitting fully fit in the stand).

I was told after the Cobh game that he is staying next season but I really really hope this is not the case because it is clear it is simply not within him to gain promotion, speaking to a mervue fan at the game he couldn't believe we'd gone for him in the 1st place after his spell at galway. I also agree with Fitzpatrick that the board need to come out now and say whether or not he will be staying put for next season. For me he should go now so the new manager can see what's there to work with and plan for next season because if we wait till the end of the season there's not a chance wel keep our star players.

If we do lose sully and the likes it is crucial we keep the youngsters like Ebbe, Gorman and Josh because they are the future. That's just my thoughts on everything that's gone on and I understand others may have different views on it.

Macy
30/09/2013, 11:52 AM
Macy makes an excellent point about mid season signings I think the last 2 seasons that has been our massive down fall but especially this season.
Just to be clear, I'd rather the club was cautious money wise rather than spending money rashly. Yes, it may have cost us in the short term, but I'd rather a stable club, even if that is in the 1st Division, long term.

As for the players they can only play as they are told/trained to do so so I wouldn't blame all of them as they work their heart out on the pitch for us but certain players have a huge ego problem and they need to go at the end of the season.
That's an awful big pass for the players imo.

Darklordsbane
30/09/2013, 2:41 PM
Is it the yellow jersies

outspoken
30/09/2013, 3:44 PM
Just to be clear, I'd rather the club was cautious money wise rather than spending money rashly. Yes, it may have cost us in the short term, but I'd rather a stable club, even if that is in the 1st Division, long term.

That's an awful big pass for the players imo.

Agree with you on the finances but the money was there this time and he failed to use it and I've always felt that was to relieve pressure if things did go wrong so he could use the shoestring budget excuse thats just my opinion. As for the players just look at the likes of Hope and Tyrell and Sully who all played through the pain barrier against Waterford recently, this is an extremely dedicated bunch of players bar 1 or 2 as i said so I really cant blame them personally.

fitzpatrick10
14/10/2013, 12:17 AM
cousins in...

Acornvilla
14/10/2013, 7:35 PM
cousins in...
4 more good results and then perhaps.. we've seen many the false dawn.

Longfordian
14/10/2013, 7:41 PM
3 more good results and then perhaps.. we've seen many the false dawn.

Four would be preferable! Consistent performances and getting the best out of what he has are pretty much all most of us want I think. By all accounts Saturday night was a good start. Play offs will be bloody tough to get through but we have give it our best shot in every game and see how it plays out.

Tiki-Taka
28/10/2013, 9:24 AM
Looks like Cousins is set to be handed a new contract: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/longford-back-cousins-ahead-of-showdown-with-bray-29704545.html

Hanley said: "Tony has done a superb job here and I'd love him to stay. We'll certainly be sitting down for talks after this Friday. In the meantime, we have a couple of big matches to win."

Cabs88
03/11/2013, 4:48 PM
maybe have another think about that one, Jim.

Longfordian
03/11/2013, 5:04 PM
He couldn't say much else in public before the game. It's still up in the air as far as I've heard and committee members themselves weren't sure what way it'd go. Jim is the one making the call and a decision one way or another is due next week seemingly.

Acornvilla
03/11/2013, 6:27 PM
I think he's had his chance, and blew it (twice).. The first season was forgiveable given how strong Limerick were, but this year was dreadful.

fitzpatrick10
03/11/2013, 7:28 PM
i think everyone is going a bit hard considering we had so many injuries, i dont think it would of made any difference who we had as a manager we got too many of our players injured at the wrong times of the season.. id say he will be given another year considering each year he has finished higher, unless he walks he will be the manager next season, id be more worried bout what players we keep, we could be back to square one in terms of building a squad if we cant manage to keep the right players

Acornvilla
03/11/2013, 8:01 PM
Ah here, the amount of times we fell behind in games was just beyond ridiculous, especially to very early goals, and other points in the season there was issues with letting comfortable leads slip, there's a hell of a lot more wrong than just injurys..

It's all well and good fighting back in matches when you have nothing to lose, but by jesus we were usually useless otherwise. Sully got us out of jail lord knows how many times in otherwise poor performances, which papered over a hell of a lot of cracks.

Injurys sure didn't help, but the enormity of an advantage we let slip and eventually let Athlone build is inexcusable.

Macy
03/11/2013, 8:21 PM
i think everyone is going a bit hard considering we had so many injuries, i dont think it would of made any difference who we had as a manager we got too many of our players injured at the wrong times of the season..
There was also the whole disruptive influence of the betting thing, which wasn't of his making either. We couldn't talk about for so long (online at least) that its slipped peoples minds, mine included. Does kinda soften my stance a bit adding that to the injuries.

Cabs88
03/11/2013, 8:52 PM
i think everyone is going a bit hard considering we had so many injuries, i dont think it would of made any difference who we had as a manager we got too many of our players injured at the wrong times of the season.. id say he will be given another year considering each year he has finished higher, unless he walks he will be the manager next season, id be more worried bout what players we keep, we could be back to square one in terms of building a squad if we cant manage to keep the right players
Don't agree with that at all fitzy. We had the strongest squad in the league bar none, too often we were found wanting in terms of personnel and how we set up tactically. We gave away a 9 point lead and only were guaranteed a play off spot the last game of the season. In my opinion it's time for a new manager, we're probably going to be back to square one in terms of squad we may aswell bring in a new man.
That's my two cents anyway.

outspoken
03/11/2013, 10:07 PM
I never ever thought I'd be defending cousins but it's at the stage where I feel we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If cousins is what keeps the likes of Ebbe, Gorman, Josh etc then I'd accept the club keeping him on as there's no good in our squad being torn apart. I agree we should have won the league and I still feel we should have gone up last year but the performances in the play-offs showed there is great spirit and character in the group so let's see how it plays out either way we need a quick decision

Martinho II
03/11/2013, 10:12 PM
acc to papers today TC will make a decision when he comes back from his hols whether to stay or not.. I hope he goes as he has had enough chances given... Fair enough we ended the season well but I have never seen a town team that keeps letting in goals early.. Only for Chris Bennion we wouldnt have finished runners up. I have nothin against TC as a person but I dont think hes the right personality for the job..