PDA

View Full Version : U21s squad to face Germany (September 9)

Charlie Darwin
29/08/2013, 12:01 PM
REPUBLIC of Ireland U21 Head Coach Noel King today announced his squad for the forthcoming UEFA U21 Championship game between the Republic of Ireland and Germany at a press conference today.
Ireland host the Germans in the Showgrounds, Sligo, on Monday, September 9 (7.45pm), and tickets will be available from the club at this Saturday's Airtricity League game between Sligo Rovers and Limerick FC.
The Irish began their campaign with a 4-1 victory over the Faroe Islands in Toftir earlier this month with Matt Doherty scoring twice while Samir Carruthers and Aiden O'Brien also found the net.
Wolves winger Anthony Forde and Bristol City defender Derrick Williams return to the squad after missing the Faroes game through suspension.
King said: "Germany are obviously the favourites for the group and will expect to top the table but we've proven in big games before that we can take on sides like this and do well.
"I've looked at the Germans on the DVD and you can see they are very strong. They probably have enough players to field two teams at every age group and be competitive.
"They play the sort of football a lot of people would say is how the game should be played. They're fit, strong and fast and will represent a challenge for our players but our squad like games like that.
"Our players like the opportunity to prove ourselves at that level. We proved with our performances against Italy and Holland in the last year that this is the level our players want to be playing at and know they can do well in.
"The crowd in Sligo has always been very supportive of our side. The U21s like playing there were the atmosphere is brilliant and we're hoping we'll have another full house supporting us."
Republic of Ireland U21 squad:
Aaron McCarey (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC)
Seán McDermott (Sandnes Ulf FC)
Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC)
Michael Harriman (QPR FC – on-loan to Gillingham FC)
Frankie Sutherland (QPR FC)
Shane Duffy (Everton FC)
Seán McGinty (Sheffield Utd FC)
Anthony O'Connor (Blackburn Rovers FC)
Connor Smith (Watford FC)
Joe Shaughnessy (Aberdeen FC)
Callum Reilly (Birmingham City FC)
Anthony Forde (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC)
Seán Murray (Watford FC)
Samir Carruthers (Aston Villa FC – on-loan to MK Dons)
Jack Grealish (Aston Villa FC)
Derrick Williams (Bristol City FC)
Charles Dunne (Blackpool FC – on-loan to Wycombe Wanderers FC)
Aiden O'Brien (Millwall FC)
Fixture
Monday, September 9
UEFA U21 Championships Qualifying round Group 6
Republic of Ireland v Germany
The Showgrounds, Sligo (7.45pm)

IsMiseSean
29/08/2013, 12:52 PM
I was going to go to this game if it was in Dublin on the Monday evening before I fly out to Vienna the next morning. I'm a bit annoyed now :(

tetsujin1979
29/08/2013, 1:50 PM
no sign of Jack Byrne there either. Very strange considering he's also omitted from the U19 squad. He's actually suspended for City's side for the next few games, so it's not club committments keeping him out of the team

bwagner
29/08/2013, 4:41 PM
Swansea's 21-year-old Northern Irish striker Rory Donnelly makes his full debut against Romania' Petrolul Ploiesti amid five changes to the team that started against Tottenham on Sunday.

bwagner
31/08/2013, 7:21 AM
In yesterday's Sun Noel King states he is in talks with Patrick Bamford to come back..Liam McIlinden sent papers to FIFA to play for us also.

liamoo11
31/08/2013, 8:23 AM
In yesterday's Sun Noel King states he is in talks with Patrick Bamford to come back..Liam McIlinden sent papers to FIFA to play for us also.

King has been really excellent. He can see the bigger picture that the underage sides are about producing players for senior duty at some stage. Like it or lump it in an Irish context that means doing your best to encourage lads who are 2nd or 3rd generation in the Uk to consider playing for us.

Those lads come up through British acdemy systems where the pressure is always going to be to play for england regardless of your cultural background. How many 16/17 yr olds have the maturity to follow their emotional and cultural path as international footballers when all their day to day football environment is shunting them in the opposite direction for financial gain for the club?

King has recognised that older lads can make these decisions easier with greater maturity and should be embraced. Same with Irish lads who just happen to be born in the north of the country give them ever opportunity that their southern contempories have

bwagner
31/08/2013, 8:33 AM
Very true Liam, I dont wana start Trap bashing but I really get annoyed when he says "we have 5 or 6 players looking to come aboard" (he said something to this effect 2 and half years backs or so)and ends up with Paul Green and nobody else. He also stated Kyle Naughton is with us then not a word about it.

We need as many options as possible.

geysir
31/08/2013, 9:37 AM
Very true Liam, I dont wana start Trap bashing but I really get annoyed when he says "we have 5 or 6 players looking to come aboard" (he said something to this effect 2 and half years backs or so)and ends up with Paul Green and nobody else. He also stated Kyle Naughton is with us then not a word about it.

We need as many options as possible.
I don't recall Trap ever mentioning that Naughton was with us. When did that happen?

bwagner
31/08/2013, 9:50 AM
I have a news paper cut out (yes im a hoarder when it comes to Ireland and papers :O) I will get to dig it out for you. It was 2 years back or so maybe more

ali83
01/09/2013, 9:15 PM
Will this match be on TV ?

tetsujin1979
09/09/2013, 6:01 PM
Live streams for the u21 game vs Germany are on the usual sites

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 6:30 PM
German Eurosport stream here: http://www.coolsport.tv/stream3.html

Edit: The host has switched over to English commentary now.

Charlie Darwin
09/09/2013, 6:44 PM
McCarey
Harriman
McGinty
O'Connor
Duffy
Doherty
Forde
Carruthers
O'Brien
Murray
Reilly

Bench:

McDermott
Dunne
Burke
Smith
Shaughnessy
McNamee
Grealish

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 6:55 PM
1-0 down after 11 minutes. Poor goalkeeping from McCarey.

geysir
09/09/2013, 7:02 PM
I'm only in the door and the effin Germans score a wanky goal.
At least our u21s don't look like they are burdened by the sins of the seniors, just might get back into this game.

edit; shoulda scored there.

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 7:03 PM
Some absolutely lovely inter-play from us in and around the German box. Deserved a goal.

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 7:06 PM
Bah, Germany 2-0 up now. O'Connor lobs his own keeper at the edge of the box from a ball knocked forward by the German right-back and Volland easily heads it into an empty net. O'Connor hould have left it for McCarey. Terrible goal to concede.

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 7:07 PM
Christ, 3-0 now. Cross, header, goal...

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 7:07 PM
Any chance you could go back out, geysir?

geysir
09/09/2013, 7:09 PM
Ah well
that was a good 3rd goal for the germans.

The u21's haven't the same sins as the seniors, just different.

edit, Danny, I went out to get a beer and the germans scored a 2nd before I had the fridge door closed

geysir
09/09/2013, 7:12 PM
I would leave but the Iceland u21's aren't playing tonight.

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 8:19 PM
GIFs of the first two German goals: http://balls.ie/football/gif-kevin-volland-goal-for-germany-u21s-vs-ireland-u21s/

Meanwhile, Carruthers was sent off for two dangerous tackles and Jack Grealish - who turns 18 tomorrow - has just come on.

DannyInvincible
09/09/2013, 8:23 PM
4-0 with five minutes to go.

geysir
09/09/2013, 8:25 PM
As the irish free kick was ballooned way over the German bar, out of the stadium, the commentator says something like 'i'm sure the locals are use to seeing that'.
Only when Shamrock Rovers visit :D

gastric
09/09/2013, 11:49 PM
Match report. Looked like a strong Irish side too.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/carruthers-sees-red-in-heavy-loss-29564973.html

Charlie Darwin
03/10/2013, 5:54 PM
Harry McCue has named his squad for the back-to-back games against Romania:

U21 SQUAD: Aaron McCarey (Wolves), Seán McDermott (Sandnes Ulf), Matt Doherty (Wolves), Michael Harriman (Gillingham), Joe Shaughnessy (Aberdeen), Shane Duffy (Yeovil Town), Seán McGinty (Sheffield Utd), Charles Dunne (Wycombe Wanderers), Derrick Williams (Bristol City), Anthony O’Connor (Torquay United), Connor Smith (Watford), Frankie Sutherland (QPR), Callum Reilly (Birmingham City), Anthony Forde (Wolves), Seán Murray (Watford), Graham Burke (Shrewsbury Town), Samir Carruthers (MK Dons), Jack Grealish (Notts County), Aiden O’Brien (Millwall).
Qualifying fixtures – Friday, Oct 11th: Romania v Republic of Ireland, Piatra Neamt (4.30 Irish time); Tuesday, Oct 15th: Republic of Ireland v Romania, The Showgrounds, Sligo (3.0)

tetsujin1979
04/10/2013, 10:04 AM
is Kenneth McEvoy injured or suspended?
He scored for a Spurs XI a few days ago in a bounce game against QPR: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/spurs-xi-2-2-qpr-011013/

IsMiseSean
04/10/2013, 1:29 PM
According to the papers this morning Anton Rodgers is on stand-by.
And there has been an attempt to bring in Cork born Colorado Rapids defender Shane O'Neill

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/trap-had-only-eyes-for-seniors-245252.html

geysir
04/10/2013, 2:15 PM
I think Rodgers has just returned to no man's land, somewhere between Newry and Dundalk.

Deputy Harry's comments could pass as unintended sarcasm, a dig against Trap.

" The new senior manager, in my view, will need a tighter and more forceful link.There has to be a stronger association there with the underage squads. I’m not saying that he has to be at the Emerging Talent Programme every Monday night but he should at least attend a seminar. He could talk about certain styles of play there.”

If he only he had said, 'at least he could/should be able to, talk about certain styles'.

bwagner
04/10/2013, 3:30 PM
After a strong performance at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, Colorado Rapids defender Shane O’Neill is on more than one national team radar. The 20-year-old Irish-American has been doing interviews with Irish media, saying he would welcome a chance to play for either team.

“I think it’s just whoever kind of gives me the opportunity,” O’Neill told MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday. “I’d want to play for both; I think I said last week I’d be excited to play for Ireland, but I’d also be really happy to play for the U.S.”

O’Neill, who scored the U.S.’s only goal in the 4-1 loss to Ghana in the Americans’ last match of the U20 World Cup, grew up in Boulder, Colo., but he was born in Midleton, Republic of Ireland. His family moved to the U.S. when he was 1 year old.

Irish U21 coach Noel King has been in touch with him, according to the MLSSoccer.com story, although O’Neill said he “definitely” considers himself to be an American.

“I definitely grew up here completely, so definitely American,” he said. “But at the same time, your Irish heritage, everything at home is pretty Irish: drinking tea all the time with my mom and all that kind of stuff. I went back to Ireland every summer for the entire time, and all my family is back there.”

O’Neill signed with the Rapids as a Homegrown Player in June 2012, and he has started 20 games this year for Oscar Pareja’s side after making just a four-minute appearance in his rookie season.

Charlie Darwin
04/10/2013, 3:42 PM
Mom? He's a a yank alright.

IsMiseSean
04/10/2013, 4:24 PM
But he drinks tea...

tetsujin1979
11/10/2013, 4:40 PM
game VS Romania just kicked off, live text commentary on uefa.com: http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2015/matches/live/day=21/session=1/match=2011491/index.html

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 4:43 PM
game VS Romania just kicked off, live text commentary on uefa.com: http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2015/matches/live/day=21/session=1/match=2011491/index.html

Been "following" the text commentary. It's patchy.

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 4:45 PM
But he drinks tea...

I'll let him off if it's Barry's, but if it's that Lyons ****e, then he can bugger off.

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 5:22 PM
0-0 at half-time , the ROI with two great opportunities according to UEFA.

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 5:39 PM
Still 0-0

Stream here I think http://link.ltv.su/165780/en

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 5:53 PM
Was surprised a Romanian got booked for that tackle, looked fine to me, it seems like you are not allowed to tackle theses
days, it was poor pass and the Romanian was always gonna be there first but he got booked for trying to get the balll!

Anyway 0-0

Was that Forde? who went on a run? Dunno the teams.

Seems it was, I have found the game info now.

http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2015/matches/live/index.html?day=21&session=1&match=2011491

tricky_colour
11/10/2013, 6:00 PM
Looks to be heading to a 0-0, seems like the game is a non-contact sport ref giving fouls for the slightest contact!

Kingdom
11/10/2013, 6:21 PM
I'd classify that as a great point earned away from home. They've been decent at under 21 level, narrowly missing out on the play-off's in two of the last 3 and winning one of those groups.

Need to beat them in Sligo on Tuesday.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2013, 4:03 PM
They lost 1-0 at home today.

Predator
15/10/2013, 4:41 PM
They're now fourth in the group with four points, behind Germany, Montenegro and Romania.
That's a draw and a loss for interim U21 boss Harry McCue. Maybe Noel King will be lucky enough to have the same record with the seniors...

Charlie Darwin
15/10/2013, 4:41 PM
Poor result after drawing away. Hint of the Trapattonis about it. Germany losing 1-0 at home to the Faroes.