PDA

View Full Version : League of Ireland references in pop culture

Dodge
23/08/2013, 9:28 AM
http://balls.ie/football/10-of-the-best-league-of-ireland-pop-culture-crossovers/

Feel free to add your own

nigel-harps1954
23/08/2013, 2:15 PM
The aul fella Cass in Fairly Sh!tty mentioned 'doing' his cruciate ligament playing for Finn Harps in a friendly.
It only aired there about two weeks ago.

Spudulika
23/08/2013, 3:03 PM
The aul fella Cass in Fairly Sh!tty mentioned 'doing' his cruciate ligament playing for Finn Harps in a friendly.

Anything to get away from Donegal, jaysus!

red bellied
23/08/2013, 4:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jriSSLxXNLk

Spike giving Shams abuse from about 4.20 in.

adamd164
23/08/2013, 6:54 PM
That 1989 jersey is a thing of beauty!

DannyInvincible
23/08/2013, 8:34 PM
As well as Derry featuring on the Undertones' My Perfect Cousin cover, the words 'Derry City FC' can also be seen - if you look very closely - written vertically on the right-hand-side of the band's Get Over You cover.

http://eil.com/images/main/The+Undertones+-+Get+Over+You+-+7%22+RECORD-98874.jpg

I'm not sure what exactly that little red and green-outlined graphic is (has anyone any insight?) or why the name of the club is remotely relevant to the rest of the cover art, but there you go...

GCdfc
23/08/2013, 9:30 PM
As well as Derry featuring on the Undertones' My Perfect Cousin cover, the words 'Derry City FC' can also be seen - if you look very closely - written vertically on the right-hand-side of the band's Get Over You cover.

http://eil.com/images/main/The+Undertones+-+Get+Over+You+-+7%22+RECORD-98874.jpg

I'm not sure what exactly that little red and green-outlined graphic is (has anyone any insight?) or why the name of the club is remotely relevant to the rest of the cover art, but there you go...

Weren't you ever a kid? Turn it sideways. It's a fire engine :)

DannyInvincible
28/08/2013, 12:16 PM
So, what's the significance of the fire engine?

There's also a game of Subbuteo played between Derry and Harps, along with other related footballing antics, in the My Perfect Cousin video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgqa3cVOxUc

sligoman
29/08/2013, 5:26 PM
Fair City is always good for a LOI mention. Fella that plays Paul in it has mentioned Bohs a few times. He is actually a Bohs fan too, met him in Dalymount. And as above, Cass mentioned Finn Harps a few weeks back. A few years back they had a sports shop in the show with LOI jerseys in the background.

poster
30/08/2013, 10:02 AM
There was a flag with 'Sligo Rovers Forever More' written across it on a beano (I think) comic strip shortly after we won the treble in '94.

DannyInvincible
30/08/2013, 11:08 AM
Did the Unmentionables never feature in Glenroe back in the day?

Dodge
30/08/2013, 2:12 PM
Fair City is always good for a LOI mention. Fella that plays Paul in it has mentioned Bohs a few times. He is actually a Bohs fan too, met him in Dalymount. And as above, Cass mentioned Finn Harps a few weeks back. A few years back they had a sports shop in the show with LOI jerseys in the background.

One of the producers is a Pats fan and so is the lad who plays Barry (his brother worked with pats for years). Producer always had pats jerseys in the sports shop

haven't found footage online though

BonnieShels
06/09/2013, 12:25 PM
http://balls.ie/football/10-of-the-best-league-of-ireland-pop-culture-crossovers/

Feel free to add your own

I'm totally claiming credit for that Life and Times of Tim one.

In one of my first ever posts on here I posted that. Hmmm...

peadar1987
06/09/2013, 1:09 PM
Did the Unmentionables never feature in Glenroe back in the day?

I seem to remember in Glenroe, every time somebody tried to go to Bray, they died horribly.

Dodge
06/09/2013, 1:21 PM
I'm totally claiming credit for that Life and Times of Tim one.

In one of my first ever posts on here I posted that. Hmmm...

Cheers so. I think I saw it first on boards.ie. Is taht you too?

BonnieShels
06/09/2013, 1:31 PM
Cheers so. I think I saw it first on boards.ie. Is taht you too?

I think that was nicked from here. :P

Easily verifiable. :)

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2013, 5:30 PM
I seem to remember in Glenroe, every time somebody tried to go to Bray, they died horribly.
They didn't call them the Bray Unknowns for nothing.

seand
09/09/2013, 5:42 PM
Not forgetting the highlight of the film Michael Collins ... Bray's 1990s Carlisle Grounds masquerading as 1920s Croke Park

Nesta99
09/09/2013, 7:07 PM
Not forgetting the highlight of the film Michael Collins ... Bray's 1990s Carlisle Grounds masquerading as 1920s Croke Park

Could even feature in biggest ever attendance thread then

born2bwild
09/09/2013, 7:24 PM
Jesus, that episode of 'The Family' has given me a dose of the fear - what a depressing hole Dublin was then.

Oddly enough, Dalymount is even worse now than it was then.

GuisaSaigon
16/09/2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELACj3BsBwE
Saw Docors tribute to Chick Deacy

pateen
17/09/2013, 1:17 PM
Jesus, that episode of 'The Family' has given me a dose of the fear - what a depressing hole Dublin was then.

Oddly enough, Dalymount is even worse now than it was then.

Wonder is that available on-line somewhere. Very well made drama.
I remember the scene in Dalymount alright

gormacha
17/02/2014, 8:52 PM
On the new episode of Moone Boy on Sky1 tonight, fairly sure I saw a clip of a few Shamrock Rovers lads doing the dieing fly in celebration at Italia '90.

NeverFeltBetter
17/02/2014, 11:20 PM
Went to see "The Food Guide To Love" at JDIFF tonight, romcom filmed in Dublin. Includes a scene where Richard Coyle and his dad watch a Shams/Bray game on the telly.

nigel-harps1954
18/02/2014, 12:02 AM
On the new episode of Moone Boy on Sky1 tonight, fairly sure I saw a clip of a few Shamrock Rovers lads doing the dieing fly in celebration at Italia '90.

I believe they were Celtic jerseys. Crsmith shirts.

Nesta99
18/02/2014, 12:23 AM

So thats why 20,000 turned up to the RDS that season, just a confused bunch who saw some hooped jerseys walking to Donnybrook and recognised them from the TV and followed them to eh paradise...

gormacha
18/02/2014, 7:31 AM

You could well be right. I could have been wearing my LOI glasses. Bit like beer goggles except many times more depressing.

Eminence Grise
18/02/2014, 9:18 AM
Dragged kicking screaming at knifepoint to see "The Food Guide To Love" at JDIFF tonight, romcom filmed in Dublin.

Fixed that for you. Sheesh! You gotta think of your reputation round here now and again.:p

Neish
21/02/2014, 5:08 PM

Thought it was against Harps, it will learn him to be in a sh*t soap

nigel-harps1954
25/11/2014, 10:23 PM
To bump an old thread..

During commentary of Chelsea v Schalke tonight, Finn Harps were mentioned apparently three times during the course of the game. Mentioned the 12-1 defeat to Derby County in Europe in the 70's, to which Niall Quinn mentioned something about 'my friends up in Donegal'.