PDA

View Full Version : Record attendance for an Irish club?

Pages : [1] 2

Charlie Darwin
23/08/2013, 3:17 AM
I'm sure this is readily accessible but my googling skills have so far proved unworthy. Does anybody know what the record attendance is for an Irish club in a single game in Ireland is? I'm not talking LOI exclusively - FAI Cup or whatever, or even a European game. I have an inkling it would be Shels-Deportivo w/ 25-26,000, but perhaps there was a bigger game years ago? Obviously LOI XIs and Celtic don't count.

edit: this link (http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=16893) suggests it's the 1945 Cup Final between Bohs and Rovers with 45,000, but it also says the 2010 final had 36,000 which I don't believe either.

White Horse
23/08/2013, 8:49 AM
Surely an el classico match between Athlone and Longford has the record?

ArdeeBhoy
23/08/2013, 8:55 AM
The 1990 FAI Cup Final between Bray & St.Francis had 33k and when Shams went 'home' to the R.D.S. the same year after exile, their first game v.Pats was c.25k, the 'official' crowd.

Not records, but examples of how high crowds can be.

White Horse
23/08/2013, 8:58 AM
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/dundalks-first-cup-dublin-issue

Great footage of a packed Dalymount for the 1942 cup final. Attendance is estimated at 34,000. It's hard to see how to could fit anymore in.

ArdeeBhoy
23/08/2013, 9:26 AM
Also,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAI_Cup

Some differing figures to what we were told at the time, who knows...

avvenalaf
23/08/2013, 12:45 PM
Ok, it was over four games but this takes beating and I was there!!
http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/fai-honours-epic-cup-tie-between-rovers-and-cobh-27522399.html

peadar1987
23/08/2013, 12:49 PM
I'd say 36000 at the 2010 final was a possibility. I got my €10 ticket, turned up, the lower level was packed, the upper well over half full, and not many in the premium seats. Apparently the premium level holds 10,000, so it just depends on whether there were 4,000 empty seats in the upper level:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/148772_174873022523686_3721732_n.jpg

avvenalaf
23/08/2013, 12:51 PM
I think the official attendance in 2010 was 38,500.

redobit
23/08/2013, 12:58 PM
Ok, it was over four games but this takes beating and I was there!!
http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/fai-honours-epic-cup-tie-between-rovers-and-cobh-27522399.html

Now my maths arent great but ...

The tie was played over a total of 712 hours of football

redron
23/08/2013, 1:33 PM
Now my maths arent great but ...

I actually can't work out where the figure of 712 comes from at all.
Four matches, three of which went to extra time, gives 450mins of football.
It was approx 362hrs from kick-off in the first match to final whistle in the last match.
:confused:

trevy
23/08/2013, 2:21 PM
Waterford v Celtic in European Cup in 1970 had an attendance of 50000 at Lansdowne Road and 2 years earlier there was 48000 for the game v Manchester United at same venue. The glory days from before I was even born!

nigel-harps1954
23/08/2013, 2:24 PM
I'd look into the highest recorded league match attendance before any else.

red bellied
23/08/2013, 5:33 PM
It was approx 362hrs from kick-off in the first match to final whistle in the last match.

Extra time was played at ten minutes a half back then then due to the part time nature of the game, things have moved on since. I don't think extra time was played until the second replay.

citybone
23/08/2013, 7:50 PM
I'd look into the highest recorded league match attendance before any else.

Cork City vs Derry City final game 2005 official attendence was about 9,000 but i heard of many sneaking in and would guess it was over 10,000 but Cork City's record was vs Dundalk of 12,000 in the decider in 1991 but crowds in Flower Lodge were always reported to be huge in the Darby games between Cork Celtic and Cork Hibs, up too 30,000. nothing official as far as i know, I know the Dublin Darby's had huge crowds too back in the 50's and 60's with Drumcondra getting crowds up too 50,000? according to "Who stole out game" book, good read.

Calcio Jack
23/08/2013, 7:54 PM
Drums/Bohs selection v Santos starring Pele in Dayler Feb 1972... crowd of 46,000 jammed in

Santos won 3-2

MeathDrog
23/08/2013, 8:46 PM
I'm sure this is readily accessible but my googling skills have so far proved unworthy. Does anybody know what the record attendance is for an Irish club in a single game in Ireland is? I'm not talking LOI exclusively - FAI Cup or whatever, or even a European game. I have an inkling it would be Shels-Deportivo w/ 25-26,000, but perhaps there was a bigger game years ago? Obviously LOI XIs and Celtic don't count.

edit: this link (http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=16893) suggests it's the 1945 Cup Final between Bohs and Rovers with 45,000, but it also says the 2010 final had 36,000 which I don't believe either.
I was at the Aviva for the 2010 final as a fan and I work as a steward for games there. Was easily at least 35,000 at that game.

oriel
23/08/2013, 9:21 PM
Drums/Bohs selection v Santos starring Pele in Dayler Feb 1972... crowd of 46,000 jammed in

Santos won 3-2

Ah Calcio, one of my favourite ever clips from Irish football, the Liam Brady Dalymount memories programme. Classic time countdown clicker, sets on 1972, then they show this game, Jack Lynch at it, reported to be one of his very rare 'Soccer' games, then the superb Santos in all white lining up in almost Champions League style of today, facing both sides in classic touch toe and hand wave over the heads formation. I can still hear the Brazilian tune when the clip went to kick off, always curious what it was.

Anyway good shout.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
24/08/2013, 1:49 PM
Celtic filled Lansdowne a few weeks ago.......

Nah Nah Nah Nah
24/08/2013, 1:52 PM

36,101 at the 2010 final

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1114/273136-shamrockrovers_sligorovers/

pineapple stu
24/08/2013, 2:03 PM
Presumably it's 7½ hours, but the ½ got messed up.

bluemovie
24/08/2013, 2:46 PM
Might be worth checking some of Mervue's numbers in the attendances thread?

wonder88
24/08/2013, 2:51 PM
When Pat Dolan was at Pats there were reported (in the Star) crowds of 4000 at most games. When you compare that to the crowds they are getting this season it indicates that the club have lost around 3k supporters. I remember that a Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic or Waterford league decider at Flower Lodge in 1975 ? had a big crowd at it. Highlights were shown on Sports Stadium the following saturday of some LoI games then and this was one of them. Perhaps Cork folks here would have better knowledge on crowds in Cork in the 1970's.

bluemovie
24/08/2013, 3:02 PM
I presume you mean the 1972 title decider between Hibs and Waterford. There was supposed to be about 30,000 at that. A lot of the Waterford bandwagoners left early with us losing 2-0 and down to ten men and missed the club's greatest ten minutes ever as we won 3-2 and clinched the title. Typical bloody 70s barstoolers!!

Mad Moose
24/08/2013, 9:07 PM

Just don't try and work it out. It's wrong. Full stop. I haven't even tried the maths. Just it's wrong.

pineapple stu
25/08/2013, 9:33 AM
You don't need to try the maths. I've already explained it! :)

Mark
26/08/2013, 4:54 PM
The official attendance for the Waterford v Celtic game was 42,000. They had printed 48,000 tickets and the Irish Independent report the next morning said 'only a handful of tickets were not sold'. However, anyone who was there would tell you that the attendance was 50,000 at least!

nigel-harps1954
26/08/2013, 5:06 PM
Official attendance was 42,000 exactly? Cool...

TonyD
26/08/2013, 8:44 PM
When Pat Dolan was at Pats there were reported (in the Star) crowds of 4000 at most games. When you compare that to the crowds they are getting this season it indicates that the club have lost around 3k supporters. I remember that a Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic or Waterford league decider at Flower Lodge in 1975 ? had a big crowd at it. Highlights were shown on Sports Stadium the following saturday of some LoI games then and this was one of them. Perhaps Cork folks here would have better knowledge on crowds in Cork in the 1970's.

Don't think the crowds were anything like that tbh, bit of hype from big Pat there. Certainly bigger crowds than we're getting now though. Very frustrating, as this is the best football I've seen Pats play in nearly 20 years as a regular. Biggest crowd for a league game that I can remember attending was away in Cork in 1999. Turners Cross was packed. Not sure what the Capacity was then but it must have been just about full. Think it was estimated at 8-9000 at the time. Atmosphere was electric.

El-Pietro
27/08/2013, 11:05 AM
Don't think the crowds were anything like that tbh, bit of hype from big Pat there. Certainly bigger crowds than we're getting now though. Very frustrating, as this is the best football I've seen Pats play in nearly 20 years as a regular. Biggest crowd for a league game that I can remember attending was away in Cork in 1999. Turners Cross was packed. Not sure what the Capacity was then but it must have been just about full. Think it was estimated at 8-9000 at the time. Atmosphere was electric.
I was at that game, and the League cup (semi final I think) which had a similar attendance. I was about 13 or 14 at the time, and very small for my age, I was at on the barrier at the front of the Shed and at that time there was a 5-10 foot area between the Shed and the wall behind the goal, and there wasn't any space. That entire area was packed, I couldn't see the floor. There was easily 9k at both games, and I think the league game was on TV as well. Great atmosphere, and great game, Pats were applauded off after their victory as I recall too, I remember my mother commenting on how sporting the City fans were in defeat.

The frustrating thing is if we'd beaten Pats just once that season we'd have been champions! 3 games, 3 defeats and we lost by 3 points. A draw might have been enough, I'm not sure what the goal difference was.

Dalymountrower
27/08/2013, 12:22 PM
Dearly departed who would have attended the cup final between Bohs and Rovers in the `40`s would say that it was well over 40.000 and the biggest crowd in Dalymount`s history until the Ireland v Italy debacle in 1986(?),
I seem to remember Pats playing a friendly in Iran and there were over 80,000 reported to have been at that, Pats drew ( I think)
I was at the Waterford v Celtic game as a nipper and there were plenty of empty spaces, particularly after it kicked off between Derry and Belfast Celtic "fans"

wonder88
27/08/2013, 3:14 PM
Did Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic games attract big crowds in mid 70's ? and did the clubs have certain parts of the city where they drew support from? It is a mystery how St Pats crowds are so poor this year with the nice soccer they are playing, I went to two games myself and there was only over 1k at both on lovely sunny evenings to be outdoor. Did some Pats fans follow Crolly and the big name players to Shamrock Rovers as they were expected to win the league by most people at the start of the season. A crowd of 2k plus should be possible on Friday as Bohs will bring a decent support after their good result in the last league game.

nigel-harps1954
27/08/2013, 6:16 PM
I recall many people telling me of days passed. Back in the 70's Harps used to see regular crowds around the 15,000+ mark when they were up challenging for league honours. Indeed I've seen many photos of Finn Park absolutely packed to the rafters.

Regardless of record crowds, what I'd give to see even 5,000+ attendances at every ground in Ireland on a regular basis. Would make for a much healthier league.

TonyD
27/08/2013, 7:56 PM
Did Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic games attract big crowds in mid 70's ? and did the clubs have certain parts of the city where they drew support from? It is a mystery how St Pats crowds are so poor this year with the nice soccer they are playing, I went to two games myself and there was only over 1k at both on lovely sunny evenings to be outdoor. Did some Pats fans follow Crolly and the big name players to Shamrock Rovers as they were expected to win the league by most people at the start of the season. A crowd of 2k plus should be possible on Friday as Bohs will bring a decent support after their good result in the last league game.

Oh, wash your mouth out. The very idea !!!! Agree with you though. Our crowds are very poor for where we are and the type of football being played. Hopefully the crowds will increase for the run in, with Bohs, Derry and Sligo to visit, and now a cup qf v Shamrocks.

Nesta99
27/08/2013, 10:04 PM
Oh, wash your mouth out. The very idea !!!! Agree with you though. Our crowds are very poor for where we are and the type of football being played. Hopefully the crowds will increase for the run in, with Bohs, Derry and Sligo to visit, and now a cup qf v Shamrocks.

Great to see Dundalk forgtten again;p have i just bitten ha!

PartySaint
27/08/2013, 10:42 PM
It is a mystery how St Pats crowds are so poor this year with the nice soccer they are playing, I went to two games myself and there was only over 1k at both on lovely sunny evenings to be outdoor. Did some Pats fans follow Crolly and the big name players to Shamrock Rovers as they were expected to win the league by most people at the start of the season. A crowd of 2k plus should be possible on Friday as Bohs will bring a decent support after their good result in the last league game.

I think we lost a lot of fans in 2009, our horrendous season under Kenna coincided with Rovers first season up in Tallaght. I know a few people who used to go to Pats game but are now regulars up in Tallaght.

Our crowds aren't as bad as reported, a lot of games have had attendances announced as a few hundred lower than they actually were due to only people who paid on the night being counted.

But still our crowds should be higher than they are.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2013, 10:46 PM
I think we lost a lot of fans in 2009, our horrendous season under Kenna coincided with Rovers first season up in Tallaght. I know a few people who used to go to Pats game but are now regulars up in Tallaght.
Were they actually Pats fans or were they just floaters? I can't imagine somebody would start supporting a different team just because the stadium was handy to get to.

Our crowds aren't as bad as reported, a lot of games have had attendances announced as a few hundred lower than they actually were due to only people who paid on the night being counted.

But still our crowds should be higher than they are.
Are Pats crowds much different than they have been over the past few years? To be honest, I was at the game in Tallaght with relatives from England and I was explaining to them how Pats usually don't have half this many fans and they must have flown them in from abroad.

ArdeeBhoy
27/08/2013, 10:52 PM
Celtic filled Lansdowne a few weeks ago.......
There was at least 20k Liverpool 'fans' in, ​allegedly.

avvenalaf
28/08/2013, 12:37 PM
I recall many people telling me of days passed. Back in the 70's Harps used to see regular crowds around the 15,000+ mark when they were up challenging for league honours. Indeed I've seen many photos of Finn Park absolutely packed to the rafters.

Regardless of record crowds, what I'd give to see even 5,000+ attendances at every ground in Ireland on a regular basis. Would make for a much healthier league.

True. I was at a match Harps v Cork Hibs (Wiggington, Davenport etc.,) in early 70s on St Patrick's Day and the crowd was unreal - at least 15000. Think it might have been a cup replay?

PartySaint
28/08/2013, 2:09 PM
Were they actually Pats fans or were they just floaters? I can't imagine somebody would start supporting a different team just because the stadium was handy to get to.

Some floaters, some Pats fans, one 'hardcore' Pats fan I knew is now a 'massive' Rovers fan and writes for a well known LOI website.

DaveyPats
28/08/2013, 3:20 PM
Some floaters, some Pats fans, one 'hardcore' Pats fan I knew is now a 'massive' Rovers fan and writes for a well known LOI website.

Name and shame.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
28/08/2013, 7:07 PM
Brian Kerr

citybone
28/08/2013, 7:19 PM
Cork City's best crowds in the last 13 year was 2003 before Pat Dolan. http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm Im not sure where they get the stats from but seems close to accurate.

TonyD
28/08/2013, 7:40 PM
Great to see Dundalk forgtten again;p have i just bitten ha!

oops :embarrassed: Genuinely forgot about Dundalk. Will be a massive game too of course. And I'm not writing ye off, no, honestly :D

ArdeeBhoy
30/08/2013, 10:56 AM
Waterford v Celtic in European Cup in 1970 had an attendance of 50000 at Lansdowne Road and 2 years earlier there was 48000 for the game v Manchester United at same venue.

This is apparently correct.

Straightstory
30/08/2013, 11:17 AM
Cork City's best crowds in the last 13 year was 2003 before Pat Dolan. http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm Im not sure where they get the stats from but seems close to accurate.
Very interesting list. Surprised to see how low some attendances are - look at Hungary and Serbia. I presumed we were one of the very worst in Europe - but seemingly not.

Candystripe
09/09/2013, 11:32 AM
Derry City V Glentoran cup final att 90, 000+

Granted their was two replays but that is some attendance. 1949 I think.

seand
09/09/2013, 5:36 PM
Seeing as everyone has to chip in with a claim for their own club Dundalk *may* have had the biggest attendance at a competitive game involving a LoI side.... official attendance at Vasas Budapest v Dundalk in the 1967-8 European Cup at the Nepstadion (now Puskas Stadion) in Budapest was in the 80,000s, helped by the fact it was a double header with Ferencvaros v Arges Pitesti. It was 1-1 after half an hour, that's all you need to know about the scoreline!

Charlie Darwin
09/09/2013, 5:54 PM
It was 1-1 after half an hour, that's all you need to know about the scoreline!
Typical Stephen Kenny, bottled it again.

seand
09/09/2013, 9:25 PM
Typical Stephen Kenny, bottled it again.

True Charlie, he just didn't have the respect of all the prima-donnas in the squad... but they showed him with back-to-back midtable finishes! ;)

oriel
15/09/2013, 12:43 PM
What about the European away games involving Irish clubs? Rovers & Waterford both played in Old Trafford, must have been a huge crowds s it was Busby Babes era for Rovers & George Best era for Waterford. Also Dundalk player Porto away in the Uefa Cup in 1980, forget the figure but I'm sure it was circa 50k, the first leg was a 0-0 draw, so the tie was very much alive.

Dundalk, Rovers & Pats all played away to Celtic also in Europe.