PDA

View Full Version : L'equipe says we're "British"- This means war!!!

Burner
07/10/2004, 10:39 PM
I couldn't believe it- the bare faced cheek- the heresy- the... ffffing frogs. L'equipe called the Irish team a "British" team today. I mean talk about going for the jugular. We have to beat them- somebody filter this through to Roy Keane....
:mad:

"Plus haut, ces couloirs seront animés par les deux trentenaires longtemps complices à Arsenal, Robert Pires à gauche, titulaire après sa mise au point avec Raymond Domenech, et Sylvain Wiltord à droite. Le Néo-Lyonnais, longtemps blessé, n'a plus débuté en bleu depuis le 17 juin contre la Croatie (2-2). Il disputera là son troisième match international de l'année 2004, même s'il ne devrait pas être en mesure de tenir 90 minutes, surtout face à une équipe BRITANNIQUE."

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20041007_193420Dev.html

sligoman
07/10/2004, 10:50 PM
I never liked the French anyway :D

Jon'o
07/10/2004, 10:55 PM
should be easy for them to spot the difference ...

1) chairs outside bars remain on the ground not in the air
2) we don't chant ''Ingurland'' or how's the other one go? ''come on then'' :D
3) Not everyone uses the point and shout approach to foreign language (if at first they don't understand shout louder)
4) we manage to get into the countries we intend visit for an away game because our government doesn't take away our passports 2 weeks before a game

Éanna
07/10/2004, 11:36 PM
all the players play in britain, some of them were born there, we play a british style of football....... I can see a few resemblances. I haven't studied french in a while, but are ya sure they didn't mean a british STYLE team? FFS, how many times have you heard and Irish international talk about the "foreign lads" at his premiership club?

tricky_colour
07/10/2004, 11:41 PM
OK here is an computer translation of the offensive text,
would any French speaking person be able to make it more
'readable' ?
Funny how the only bit which is translated perfectly
is the insult at the end. (anti Irish computer I guess).

"Higher, these corridors will be animated by the two thirty-year a long time accomplices to Arsenal, Robert Worse to the left, tenured after his perfect with Raymond Domenech, and Sylvain Wiltord to right. The of lyons Neo, a long time injured, did not more begin in blue since June 17 against Croatia (2-2). It will dispute there his third international game of the year 2004, even if it should not be in a position to hold 90 minutes, especially facing a British team. "

"did not more begin in blue" :confused:

pineapple stu
08/10/2004, 12:29 AM
Robert Worse to the left

Brilliant! :D

irishfan86
08/10/2004, 2:15 AM
When they string Domenech up after the game, that guy should go up there too for making us angry enough to win.

Strasbourg Bohs
08/10/2004, 7:15 AM
They mean the Irish team play in a "british style" !!!!!

Anyway most Europeans still think Ireland is british....wonder what makes them think that? would it be the language? possibly. would be the irish peoples stupid obsession with supporting british clubs? probably. or would it be, every time you see Dublin city centre on tv, it looks like a suburb of london, with all the british chain stores and manure and seltic shirts evrywhere? probably......

You have to understand how ireland looks from the outside, and trust me, it looks "british" and beleive me, i hate to say that :mad:

Peadar
08/10/2004, 7:41 AM
Anyway most Europeans still think Ireland is british....wonder what makes them think that?

I remember working in Paris once and this older lady in the office who took a facination with me kept asking about Ireland because she heard that it was so old and not very modern. She wanted to go there. She knew that we had our own governmernt but didn't know that we were a Republic and not part of Britain. I had to show her my passport to prove it.
Got a sly dig in too by telling her that the reason they flew me in to do the job was because the couldn't find someone in France with the skills and qualifications, which she accepted because I had proved everything else I'd said was true. :D

thejollyrodger
08/10/2004, 7:56 AM
well of course the place is going to look like its half british, the brits were here for 800 years after all and built the place. Thank god they are trying to make an effort and turn the place into a modern european city.

As for some of the french knowledge of our country, that is frankly shocking and distribuing. Ignorant as well, its not like we are whobeckisstan.

I like the french too. Any I have met have been dead on and good craic !!

I hope we show the french tomorrow that were not a english proxy state and win too of course

Strasbourg Bohs
08/10/2004, 8:07 AM
well of course the place is going to look like its half british, the brits were here for 800 years after all and built the place. Thank god they are trying to make an effort and turn the place into a modern european city.

I'm not talking about the architecture and buildings (its universally accepted that Dublin is the best example of georgian architecture in western europe)
I'm talking about the chain stores coming in and making it look like a british city....

anyway, this is getting way off topic.........

Come on Ireland

this time tomorrow morning, i'll be exactly half way between Strasbourg and Paris :D

Greenbod
08/10/2004, 9:34 AM
I'm talking about the chain stores coming in and making it look like a british city....

:D

Oh for God's sake!! You'll find the same chain stores in every city in the western world.

By the way, Have you been to Marks and Spencers in Strasbourg recently?? ;)

Peadar
08/10/2004, 9:44 AM
Oh for God's sake!! You'll find the same chain stores in every city in the western world.

Sure we've inflicted "Irish" pubs on the world for decades! :D

Greenbod
08/10/2004, 12:11 PM
we play a british style of football

That would be the stuff played by Silvestre, Gallas, Henry, Cisse and Pires then? There is no such thing as a british style of football, at least not in the English Premiership.

Peadar
08/10/2004, 12:20 PM
There is no such thing as a british style of football.

Well if there is, I hope it's not the style Scotland play.
We're doomed if it is! :eek: :D

Greenbod
08/10/2004, 12:24 PM
Well if there is, I hope it's not the style Scotland play.
We're doomed if it is! :eek: :D

Scotland???!!!.....Style?!?!!!...........hee hee :D