PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Sweden - Friday, 6th September 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

DannyInvincible
16/08/2013, 10:17 PM
Kieren Westwood is to keep his place for the Sweden game, whilst Trap has also confirmed that James McCarthy is central to his plans. Paul Green won't be starting the game.

Daniel McDonnell has also indicated that Robbie will return to the squad with Hoolahan making way rather than Long: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/westwood-to-keep-place-for-qualifiers-as-sidelined-stars-get-trap-ultimatum-29503420.html

It's likely Brady will also miss out.

James McCarthy particularly impressed the 74-year-old, who confirmed that the Wigan man is central to his plans for the Swedish encounter. Remember, he was dropped for the initial meeting in Stockholm until a late injury to Glenn Whelan opened the door.

Trapattoni is optimistic that the 22-year-old will be a Premier League player by the time of their next gathering. "He spoke to me about the possibility," he said. "I wish he can change."

It's entirely possible that nine members of Wednesday's starting XI will be involved from the outset at the Aviva Stadium on September 6.

As flagged earlier in the week, Robbie Keane will come back into the side in place of Wes Hoolahan, with the profligacy in front of goal on Wednesday confirming Ireland's record goalscorer's importance in the eyes of management.

"Experience is stopping the ball and taking time. I think if Robbie had played he might have scored," said Trapattoni with reference to Shane Long's missed opportunities.

However, the West Brom player's pace mean will be essential for the battle with a physical Swedish rearguard, so Hoolahan will be the one to miss out.

Trapattoni was satisfied with the Norwich player's display against Wales, feeling that he tired in the second half because the role of the attacking midfielder in a 4-4-1-1 is especially demanding at this stage of the campaign.

"Wes had to track back 80 metres sometimes," he said. "Usually in his club, he plays only in the last 20-30 metres."

Robbie Brady could also lose out, despite some bright moments going forward in his 45 minutes on the pitch. It was the occasional neglecting of defensive duties that worried Trapattoni.

"Robbie can do better," explained the manager. "He can create and I said, 'You can attack but remember also the defence.' He didn't always manage to combine the two tasks."

While Trapattoni seems sure that Aiden McGeady will shake off an injury, and also has James McClean available, there is still a possibility that Anthony Pilkington could figure if he turns up this time to make a belated debut.

The composition of the back five might be impacted by developments over the next fortnight, yet Trapattoni delivered the strongest indication yet that he will not take a chance on returning players who are effectively just out of pre-season mode.

David Forde can realistically fit in only one more game before the Swedish tie, which helps Keiren Westwood's prospects, while Richard Dunne is waiting to make a first league appearance for QPR, with a League Cup outing the sum total of his August to date.

"I think we continue to play with Westwood," said Trapattoni. "After the surgery (for Forde) we can see when we start again. They (injured players) must play one or two or three games before Sweden and it's 21 days away already. We will wait and see what happens with Dunne, but we have good options."

The back four of Seamus Coleman, John O'Shea, Ciaran Clark and Marc Wilson managed to shut out the mercurial Zlatan Ibrahimovic in March, yet they were also aided by a disciplined performance by Paul Green, who sat diligently in front.

Trapattoni has ruled out deploying Green in that role unless he suffers an injury crisis, a statement which embraces the reality that it is a game where victory is essential.

Anything less will make for an unpleasant morning after.

IsMiseSean
16/08/2013, 11:23 PM
I think I'd prefer to see Green start alongside McCarthy.
He'd offer more protection when Coleman & Wilson move forward than Whelan. It seems to take Whelan an age to get from one side of the pitch to the other

Grafter
16/08/2013, 11:52 PM
I think I'd prefer to see Green start alongside McCarthy.
He'd offer more protection when Coleman & Wilson move forward than Whelan. It seems to take Whelan an age to get from one side of the pitch to the other

If I'm not mistaken, Whelan has won all 50 caps under Trapattoni's reign.... just shows how much he has played for him when fit and if fit it seems inevitable he will start again in Sept. I agree with you though about his mobility issues at times. It is interesting to note that Glenn Whelan won his 50 caps within a 6 year period whereas it took Ronnie Whelan 14 years from '81 to '95 to gather his 50 caps!

Charlie Darwin
16/08/2013, 11:54 PM
If we're going to try playing with the ball a bit I'd prefer Whelan. Green is great when you need somebody quick with lots of energy hassling opponents and making runs forward, but that's the role Trap seems to see for McCarthy. Maligned as he is, Whelan can pass a bit when he's got the wind in his sails, and he can shoot too judging by his cracker against Italy. He reckons Hughes has earmarked a more attacking role for him this season than he had under Pulis.

Grafter
17/08/2013, 12:06 AM
He reckons Hughes has earmarked a more attacking role for him this season than he had under Pulis.

Lets hope Whelan, Walters and Wilson get as much game-time under Hughes as they did under Pulis.

Charlie Darwin
17/08/2013, 12:08 AM
I'd imagine Wilson and Walters will at least - they are Hughes-type players. Whelan might find himself pushed out by classier midfielders, but if he thinks he's been earmarked a role then I suppose we should be happy about that. The indications seem to be that Hughes has been a bit chastened by his experience with QPR and is going to get back to getting the best out of the players at his disposal. QPR and City aside, his record as a manager is actually really good.

ArdeeBhoy
17/08/2013, 1:06 AM
Think Whelan is a long way from the player he was against Italy 4 years ago Chuck...

Seriously, he should have been binned off a while ago. But Trap likes his system. And doesn't care if he alienates better players as we all know.

Charlie Darwin
17/08/2013, 2:57 AM
I don't think Whelan has really changed. He was a limited player then and he is a limited player now, and I think his limitations were shown up against Russia and in the Euros, but by and large I think he's done his job in an understated way. He was never on the level of McCarthy or Gibson or I don't think he's declined as a player. Perhaps our expectations have increased since he came on the scene and he looks lesser as a result.

ArdeeBhoy
17/08/2013, 9:43 AM
Hmm, would say he's gone from being average to less so. In essence the legs seem to have gone from slow to very slow.

Four years ago, most would tolerate him being in the team, now he just seems to have lost any energy he had.

Grafter
17/08/2013, 12:19 PM
To be fair to Glenn, he was quite industrious at home to Austria in March, there was a noticeable bite to his game that night I felt. A two man midfield for Ireland does take it out of him though....

Grafter
18/08/2013, 9:41 PM
McClean or Brady to start against Swedes? Lets assume Pilkington is held back for double header. Genuinely think McClean is a surer bet against Swedes in terms of his all round power, physicality and aggression.

If Dunne's return continues at QPR and he gets more games you nearly would chance O Shea and himself in the heart of defence against Swedes. Realise having a 32 and 34 year old playing together isn't exactly full of the joys of spring but it's a one-off IMO

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2013, 9:46 PM
McGeady is first in the pecking order on the wing - he's so far ahead of the others he just has to play if if fit. Walters is next but I think Trap would throw Pilkington in ahead of him provided he saw something he liked in training. Brady is ahead of McClean then if another option is needed.

Grafter
18/08/2013, 9:53 PM
Forgot about Aiden...Correct he won't drop McGeady if fit alright.... he likes Walters too.... could have Brady, Mclean and Pilkington benched then, not bad wing options, we've alot of left footers there!

ArdeeBhoy
18/08/2013, 10:24 PM
IMO, Brady should be in ahead of McGeady, especially if he's not match-fit. Pilko won't play, even if could. :rolleyes:

Not much to choose between McClean and Cox, but don't write the latter off given Tap's strange selections.
:(

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2013, 10:36 PM
What have you got against McGeady? If it's down to lack of end-product, I'll happily introduce you to Brady.

ArdeeBhoy
18/08/2013, 11:07 PM
Seen him enough times for Celtic as well as Ireland. Flatters to deceive too often. Brady seems to have more energy too.

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2013, 11:17 PM
More energy in what sense? I see McGeady running his heart out, doing the defensive job and still occupying two defenders any time he gets the ball in the opposition's part of the field. Don't get me wrong, I think by the end of this season Brady will be the talk of England, but at the moment McGeady has the all-round game he just doesn't. I think the future is looking quite positive for us on the flanks, with Coleman/McGeady and Wilson/Brady developing well. We may actually end up with a situation where we're playing two attacking full backs and two wide forwards and then we may not even need Robbie.

geysir
18/08/2013, 11:18 PM
McGeady wasn't in the Spartak squad for their game against Rubin Kazan.
If there's no exclusive in the The Star about a move to Everton, what else could have happened to him?

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2013, 11:23 PM
Well he missed the Wales match with a knee injury - I assume it hadn't cleared up.

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2013, 10:59 AM
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/13590_220756098079692_1974494656_n.jpg

Stuttgart88
20/08/2013, 11:57 AM
I'm really looking forward to this game, though my expectation is that we'll fail to give it a proper go and have regrets when it's over. We used to never fear anyone at home games but we've lost the knack of winning this type of game. Despite their impressive 4-2 win over Norway the Stockholm game and the Austria vs Sweden game would suggest that winning this one is far from beyond us. We need Westwood to be sharp and key players like Keane & Coleman fit.

Heart says 2-1 Ireland, head says 1-1 or even 0-1.

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2013, 12:12 PM
More optimistic than me. Though can see this and the Austria games being sterile draws. The two major factors against Ireland are Zlatan and being away from home v.their largest opposing crowd respectively.

Junior
20/08/2013, 12:48 PM
More optimistic than me. Though can see this and the Austria games being sterile draws. The two major factors against Ireland are Zlatan and being away from home v.their largest opposing crowd respectively.

Can you run that one by me again??

DannyInvincible
20/08/2013, 2:17 PM
I think it'll be the biggest away crowd in front of which we've played so far.

The Austria crowd, that is.

Grafter
20/08/2013, 4:04 PM
I vividly remember the Austria away match we played in September '95. Against Jack's wishes, we went forward early in the game.... Roy Keane (in his Hi-Tec boots!) almost got a goal but then they broke and Stoger scored a wonder goal. Mark Kennedy was thrown in at the deep end in that match starting for his debut too....

It really was a lack of organisation that lead to the defeat on night. Playing Quinn upfront on his own (I think?) didn't help matters either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Fpe0dxKZ4

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2013, 11:40 PM
Can you run that one by me again??

I think it'll be the biggest away crowd in front of which we've played so far.

The Austria crowd, that is.

Clumsily put maybe, but not so complicated? Anyway, due to be more in Wien than Koln. It's a bigger stadium and there should ​be more at stake...

Junior
21/08/2013, 1:46 PM
Ill be honest - I didnt have a clue what you were on about. Anyway, get the jist now. Out of interest will the game in Vienna have a bigger attendance than the game in Stockholm then? Im not going to Vienna so havent really looked in to what the stadium holds etc.

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2013, 1:56 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game, though my expectation is that we'll fail to give it a proper go and have regrets when it's over. We used to never fear anyone at home games but we've lost the knack of winning this type of game. Despite their impressive 4-2 win over Norway the Stockholm game and the Austria vs Sweden game would suggest that winning this one is far from beyond us. We need Westwood to be sharp and key players like Keane & Coleman fit.

Heart says 2-1 Ireland, head says 1-1 or even 0-1.
Two 1-1 draws, at which point Trap and the senior players will come out and change the party line to "our objective was to stay in contention and we've achieved that."

geysir
21/08/2013, 9:31 PM
Two 1-1 draws, at which point Trap and the senior players will come out and change the party line to "our objective was to stay in contention and we've achieved that."
That would be Mypost's position not Traps
Trap rues the late equaliser by Austria, as in, 'why couldn't those gobsh'ites just close down the channels and hold onto a lead for once'? 'why is it so complicated'?

ArdeeBhoy
21/08/2013, 11:37 PM
Ha, ha geysir. If only?

Ill be honest - I didnt have a clue what you were on about. Anyway, get the jist now. Out of interest will the game in Vienna have a bigger attendance than the game in Stockholm then? Im not going to Vienna so havent really looked in to what the stadium holds etc.

The crowd in Sweden, acc.to Wiki, was actually 49436.It didn't seem like it...

Been told Vienna's a complete sell-out for home fans and the only potentially diminishing factor is if we don't sell all our tickets...
But still could now be less than Stockhom. Koln should be only the 3rd largest away crowd regardless.

Crosby87
22/08/2013, 12:32 AM
Sweden all time vs Ireland:
Pd W D L GF GA
9 4 2 3 14 12

And Sweden recently:
SWE 4:2 NOR
SWE 2:0 Faroe
AUS 2:1 SWE
SWE 1:0 Macedonia
SLO 0:0 SWE
SWE 0:0 IRE
SWE 2:3 Argentina
SWE 4:2 ENG
GER 4:4 SWE
FAR 1:2 SWE
SWE 2:0 KAZ
SWE 1:0 China
SWE 0:3 BRA
SWE 3:2 Iceland
SWE 2:1 SERB
UKR 2:1 SWE
SWE 2:3 ENG
SWE 2:0 FRA
Bahrain 0:2 SWE
CRO 1:3 SWE

Stuttgart88
22/08/2013, 10:37 AM
Koln should be only the 3rd largest away crowd regardless.I saw England draw 2-2 with Sweden in Koln at WC2006. Lovely compact ground, every seat right on top of the pitch. Not unlike Anfield. Anyone going will love it.

the doc
22/08/2013, 11:33 AM
Everyone relax, we will beat Sweden and get something against Austria.

Have a few pints then enjoy the games

In Trap we trust.

Stuttgart88
22/08/2013, 11:57 AM
How can we relax when St. Ledger is injured?

Crosby87
22/08/2013, 12:26 PM
Pray to a different St. (Just don't tell Charlie Darwin.)

Sullivinho
22/08/2013, 12:33 PM
Everyone relax, we will beat Sweden and get something against Austria.

Have a few pints then enjoy the games

In Trap we trust.

That's like the doctor saying "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about" before the test results come back!

ArdeeBhoy
22/08/2013, 12:49 PM
I saw England draw 2-2 with Sweden in Koln at WC2006. Lovely compact ground, every seat right on top of the pitch. Not unlike Anfield. Anyone going will love it.

Why that game? Besides it being a World Cup.
And not if we lose 6-1 again. We won't, but expecting an easy home win regardless.

That's like the doctor saying "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about" before the test results come back!
For a terminal illness...

Stuttgart88
22/08/2013, 1:20 PM
Why that game? Simply because I got a ticket for it. I got one for Australia vs. Italy too, at Kaiserslautern.

the doc
22/08/2013, 2:44 PM
How can we relax when St. Ledger is injured?

Stutts in patronising shock!

We still have Josh and Richie, I've a feeling SSL could be back playing and ready too.

Bungle
22/08/2013, 3:05 PM
Anyone know of austrian/swedish injuries? Have the Swedes any players suspended? Getting excited now. We have been so rubbish over the last decade against decent oposition at home that I'm predicting 1-0 against the Swedes and 1-1 in Austria :)

Charlie Darwin
22/08/2013, 3:09 PM
Stutts in patronising shock!

We still have Josh and Richie, I've a feeling SSL could be back playing and ready too.
But you said SSL wouldn't be back until Koln!

the doc
22/08/2013, 8:32 PM
But you said SSL wouldn't be back until Koln!

Anything can be achieved if you have faith (and I don't mean the barmaid!)

ArdeeBhoy
22/08/2013, 11:09 PM
Simply because I got a ticket for it. I got one for Australia vs. Italy too, at Kaiserslautern.

The latter, yes, the other lot, no thanks...

ArdeeBhoy
24/08/2013, 9:03 PM
Trap. before he chooses his squad...
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1238031_708096245873610_1685323569_n.jpg

tetsujin1979
25/08/2013, 3:26 PM
squad announced
from https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/371638680382738432

Provisional 29 man squad: Forde, Westwood, Randolph, O'Shea, O'Brien, St Ledger, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, O'Dea, Clark, Dunne, McShane..contd
from https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/371639142737666050

Whelan,McCarthy,Green,Hendrick, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean,Brady, Meyler, Hoolahan,Long,Keane,Sammon, Walters, Madden,Cox #IrlSwe (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23IrlSwe&src=hash) #AusIrl (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AusIrl&src=hash)
Forde, St Ledger, Clark, McGeady and Pilkington included despite current injuries
O'Brien back in the squad

Charlie Darwin
25/08/2013, 3:30 PM
The doc is fit!

Stuttgart88
25/08/2013, 4:07 PM
With Wilson starting in midfield for Stoke and O'Brien paying LB for West Ham there are another couple of selection options opening up.

I read in a Sunday paper today that both Westwood and O'Shea played well yesterday.

Olé Olé
25/08/2013, 6:20 PM
With Wilson starting in midfield for Stoke and O'Brien paying LB for West Ham there are another couple of selection options opening up.

Chances are neither option will be considered by Trap, no matter how viable they are. Wilson in the middle of the park has been long coming given that it's his natural position and he's just turned 26.

With Pilkington injured I'd be more than doubtful he'll present himself, on the basis of his priors, particularly given the added strength of the Norwich squad and pressure that has put upon his starting spot.

shakermaker1982
25/08/2013, 7:00 PM
Stutts - O'Shea got a belter on the nose yesterday. He wasn't happy, did look deliberate by the Southampton player. O'Shea however did give the free kick away that resulted in the goal & Di Canio mentioned it after the game....bet John got a bollocking.

Westwood made some good saves. Should do him the world of good getting the nod ahead of the ex Arsenal keeper.

IsMiseSean
25/08/2013, 8:27 PM
Was O'Brien left out of the squad for the Wales friendly or was he unavailable?