PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Sweden - Friday, 6th September 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Bungle
04/09/2013, 9:49 AM
We need to be going in with the mentality of 6 points. We can and should beat Sweden and I don't believe Austria for one moment are a better side than us. The three of us are around equal level. Sweden and Austria have world class players which we don't, but we have the better team of players in my opinion. I just think that whatever about the Swedish game, we will not chase the Austrians and Trap would probably settle for 2 points if given the option now, rather than chase the games and go for 4/6 points. He would probably point to the Swedes going to Kazakhstan or Austria playing the Germans as games where we can gain points. The problem is our goal difference is awful and if the Swedes beat Kazakhstan and Austria, we are in the doghouse.

My hope is that Germany tonk Austria and there are a few yellows or a red for Austria which is very conceivable. Sweden may struggle in Kazakhstan so I wouldn't say they are a certainty to win there by any means.

Anyhow my predictions: :rolleyes:

Ireland 1 Sweden 1 (an awful game where Ireland start brightly and get an early goal. Sweden equalise, but are also very poor. The boos ring out around the Aviva).
Austria 0 Ireland 0 (Ireland play much better and are the better team. Long misses a late chance.The fans feel slightly deflated as they are left with the usual problem of looking at how other teams do.)
Germany 1 Ireland 0 (Ireland are dogged and tough to break down. The Germans really struggle, but get a goal in the 65th minute through Ozil. The Germans applaud a very brave Irish team off the park, as they get their world cup party in full swing).
Ireland 2 Kazakhstan 0 (Ireland need goals to sort out the goal difference, as they keep an eye on other games. Two goals before half-time and the Aviva is in good form. Unfortunately, no 2nd half goals come).

paul_oshea
04/09/2013, 10:14 AM
I'd be happy with 4 points though. Seriously.

And I am aware of the consequences for the group. It's just that I fear we won't even get 4 points and 4 points keeps us in it until October's games and probably lands a telling blow against a rival. I think the correct objective to state is "minimum 4 points".

Ya but thats missing my point. Talking of 4 points, will breed a sense of acceptance mentality that we can always look to the next game and/or harbour quite satisfaction that we can do the job further down the line. I dont think we can, I think this attitude could catch us out.

I will be happy with 4, but I don't think its the right approach to take for these two games. I worry that it could hinder us in actually getting those 4, but moreso from actually getting the full 6.

SwanVsDalton
04/09/2013, 10:25 AM
Ya but thats missing my point. Talking of 4 points, will breed a sense of acceptance mentality that we can always look to the next game and/or harbour quite satisfaction that we can do the job further down the line. I dont think we can, I think this attitude could catch us out.

I agree. That's why I'd try not to think about four or six or the Austria game at all. Friday is must-win.

paul_oshea
04/09/2013, 10:29 AM
Ya, I wasnt on about you, I was on about Stutts.

Ya I think all they should be thinking about is Sweden is a play-off game for the world cup, if we don't win we are gone.

jbyrne
04/09/2013, 10:39 AM
The reason I posted this was because it validated much of what I feel about Irish football, and I think such articles generate debate, which is good as it is interesting to hear the opinions of others.

i think most of the reasonable posts here generate far better informed debate than the usual stuff most of the Irish football writers come up with. there is nothing debate generating by writing what we've all heard a 100 times before. I think some fans like to point to these predictable articles and say "there you go, the great dave kelly (or whoever) says the same thing so I must be right"

geysir
04/09/2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah Stutts, enough of that loser's mentality and take a leaf out of Paul's abundant positivity which he exudes with every breadth :)

In the past we have done okay under pressure with Trap.
The 3 points is an obvious target, there will be no settling for a draw should the score be even in the 2nd half, hoping for an escape in Austria.
A likely draw will come from not converting enough of our chances and then not holding on to a lead.
Playing Wes in a 5 man midfield would put in an unpredictable element that might upset the Swedes. Seeing as McGeady is missing Trap might see a place for Wes in a midfield of 5
Walters, Whelan, McCarthy, Hoolahan, McLean/Brady.

paul_oshea
04/09/2013, 10:52 AM
i think most of the reasonable posts here generate far better informed debate than the usual stuff most of the Irish football writers come up with. there is nothing debate generating by writing what we've all heard a 100 times before. I think some fans like to point to these predictable articles and say "there you go, the great dave kelly (or whoever) says the same thing so I must be right"

Ya, when you go to your mates and say the great paul_oshea said it so I must be right, it doesn't have the same effect as a well known journalist.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 10:54 AM
I did say the right approach is to target "minimum 4 points". That's more ambitious than simply aiming for 4 points and not as cavalier as saying we need 6!

Crosby87
04/09/2013, 11:16 AM
Did anyone see this from the other day? Irish fan living in Oz buys the rights to the game:
http://rs.442.com.au/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1752892

DannyInvincible
04/09/2013, 11:56 AM
Did anyone see this from the other day? Irish fan living in Oz buys the rights to the game:
http://rs.442.com.au/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1752892

It was mentioned a few pages back.

Of course, Ireland cannot possibly claim any nod towards vaulting ambition. The most heightened activity around the camp this week was focused on whether James McCarthy, would swap life in the Championship for a prospective struggle in the relegation zone.

I'd be very surprised if McCarthy is fighting a relegation battle come the end of the season. I know it was under Moyes, but Everton have been a top-half club for the past couple of seasons, if I'm not mistaken. They've made a decent start to this season (no losses out of three) and certainly don't resemble prospective relegation fodder.

shakermaker1982
04/09/2013, 11:58 AM
Would have to say that Kelly makes some very valid points in this article.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/david-kelly-traps-redundant-style-the-biggest-barrier-to-victory-29549849.html

I've never seen the words vituperative nor quixotic in a football article before. Has David Kelly been using a thesaurus?!

DannyInvincible
04/09/2013, 12:03 PM
I've never seen the words vituperative nor quixotic in a football article before. Has David Kelly been using a thesaurus?!

Are they alcoholic drinks or some sort of pills or something?

gastric
04/09/2013, 12:05 PM
I've never seen the words vituperative nor quixotic in a football article before. Has David Kelly been using a thesaurus?! No he swallowed one!

Irwin3
04/09/2013, 12:53 PM
It was mentioned a few pages back.

I'd be very surprised if McCarthy is fighting a relegation battle come the end of the season. I know it was under Moyes, but Everton have been a top-half club for the past couple of seasons, if I'm not mistaken. They've made a decent start to this season (no losses out of three) and certainly don't resemble prospective relegation fodder.

Is Kelly a bitter Liverpool fan? Everton have finished above Liverpool for the last 2 seasons and have been top 8 in 9 of the last 11 seasons. They are also 1 of only 3 teams unbeaten in the current season :p and have a far superior squad compared to last season.

It remains to be seen how far Martinez can take them. The Moyes myth is surely nearly gone by now.

ArdeeBhoy
04/09/2013, 12:56 PM
Which is pretty much what I said!

ArdeeBhoy has been stating Kelly's key point far more directly all along (even allowing for superfluous punctualtion, italics and emoticons!). We're boring, unadventurous and hard to watch unless you're a loyal fan. It will cost us.
Tbf many of us do that!
;)

Seriously though, even am going to both games genuinely believe we have no chance of winning either.
Austria at a pinch but firmly believe we're not good enough. Sorry.

And whoever comes 2nd FIFA will 'arrange' they miss out anyways.

Tis a shame but sh*t happens;maybe 2026...
:(

mark12345
04/09/2013, 5:18 PM
Tbf many of us do that!
;)

Seriously though, even am going to both games genuinely believe we have no chance of winning either.
Austria at a pinch but firmly believe we're not good enough. Sorry.

And whoever comes 2nd FIFA will 'arrange' they miss out anyways.

Tis a shame but sh*t happens;maybe 2026...
:(

On a slightly different note (but related to the torture I'm prepared to put myself through) but does anyone know where the game might be streamed live on Friday?

DannyInvincible
04/09/2013, 5:31 PM
On a slightly different note (but related to the torture I'm prepared to put myself through) but does anyone know where the game might be streamed live on Friday?

Plenty of links will appear on these sites before the game:

http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/index.html
http://www.lshunter.net/
http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline=football

mark12345
04/09/2013, 7:16 PM
Plenty of links will appear on these sites before the game:

http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/index.html
http://www.lshunter.net/
http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline=football

Cheers Danny.

Fergie's Son
04/09/2013, 7:39 PM
We'll show up and do our best. My expectations are low. Draw with Sweden and likely lose in Austria and that's that. Start planning for the every expanding Euros in 2016 with a new coach and new staff. Hope some new players continue to develop and start again. Sure it's part of the fun of it all.

DannyInvincible
04/09/2013, 7:48 PM
Is the game likely to sell out? I had a look on Ticketmaster and there were still loads available all around the ground. One of the lads I'm travelling with even has two spares.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 7:50 PM
Def not a sell out. FAI have been emailing block bookers offering extra tickets.

Fergie's Son
04/09/2013, 8:07 PM
After watching that Dublin-Kerry match have to admit that it is hard to get hyped up for this one.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 8:23 PM
Then eff off to a GAA forum. I enjoyed watching the Dubs win but would have got over it soon enough if they lost. I'll be ecstatic if we win the football and gutted if we lose. It's a September international in a neck and neck group, against a regular qualifier but a team we could beat. If you can't get excited by this then Trap really has caused a lot of damage.

Fergie's Son
04/09/2013, 8:32 PM
Then eff off to a GAA forum. I enjoyed watching the Dubs win but would have got over it soon enough if they lost. I'll be ecstatic if we win the football and gutted if we lose. It's a September international in a neck and neck group, against a regular qualifier but a team we could beat. If you can't get excited by this then Trap really has caused a lot of damage.

And he has. Not that I entirely blame him (I do see a lot of merit with his tactics). However, the ham fisted way the FAI have conducted themselves over the years does take the sheen of the national team. They've created a sense of "them v. us" in a very small supporter base. An exciting game like Sunday's does make one wish that Irish football had that spark back again. Noting that doesn't make me any less of a fan than anyone else on these boards.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 8:38 PM
Fair enough and the Dublin Kerry game was a thriller, albeit full of unsophisticated rough and tumble and **** eyed finishing. I just don't see how a pivotal clash against a good team doesn't whet the appetite, regardless of what the FAI has done but I admit its probably a big ask for a Trap managed team to have the place rocking. A "spark" is the last thing you'd say this team has, but it does have good players with good attitudes and maybe it takes a game like this for that spark to return.

Grafter
04/09/2013, 8:57 PM
For me, GAA, even rugby will always be colloquial, it kills me to see them put ahead "International" football in the food chain... Football is truly a world game. That's why the Irish football team means so much to me - it carries a greater weight.

shakermaker1982
04/09/2013, 9:05 PM
If Glenn Whelan morphs into Roy Keane for 90 minutes on Friday Night then LR will be rocking. Over to you Glenn....

Up to the players now. Obviously if the Trap plays Cox in the left wing he won't be helping matters but if Keane takes his chances, O'Shea stays alert for 90 minutes, McCarthy & Whelan get at least parity in midfield then 3 points is there for the taking. Sweden are a decent side but if the players perform it is a winnable game. A draw should not be viewed as an excellent result.

If Keane is firing on all cylinders (sounds like he is in the U S of A) then let's at least give him the chance to put the ball in the net. 1 chance, 1 nil, job done.

Sullivinho
04/09/2013, 9:32 PM
For me, GAA, even rugby will always be colloquial, it kills me to see them put ahead "International" football in the food chain... Football is truly a world game. That's why the Irish football team means so much to me - it carries a greater weight.

Couldn't agree more, Grafter. I'd be delighted with 3 points on friday even if, via some kind of sports-restricted butterfly effect or the intervention of a hard-bargaining genie or demon, it meant Cork taking a hammering from Clare the following sunday. No comparison at all in terms of satisfaction.

paul_oshea
05/09/2013, 9:29 AM
Fair enough and the Dublin Kerry game was a thriller, albeit full of unsophisticated rough and tumble and **** eyed finishing. I just don't see how a pivotal clash against a good team doesn't whet the appetite, regardless of what the FAI has done but I admit its probably a big ask for a Trap managed team to have the place rocking. A "spark" is the last thing you'd say this team has, but it does have good players with good attitudes and maybe it takes a game like this for that spark to return.

I do often think it looks primitive at times, and there needs to be a proper defined tackle, this open hand thing is a load of crap really, its taken from basketball but it doesn't work as its meant to. I also think Hurling can look awful when you see "6 lads with sticks" belting the ground, but actually its just one of those things that from the sideline looks primitive but to be able actually do it on the field is completely different. I also notice that for people foreign to the sport these are the things they seem to enjoy most.

Fixer82
05/09/2013, 9:42 AM
There is a bit of apathy in the country towards the soccer/football team and that is down to Trap's awfully conservative and sometimes barmy tactics (Cox on the wing, no place for Hoolahan, sticking to 4-4-2 doggedly). We do not play very attractive football and haven't since the McCarthy era, or the Kerr era in friendlies.

But if we win tomorrow you'll see a huge interest in the national team again.
People are fickle.
Go into work tomorrow and discuss it and you'll hear lads saying 'Ireland are $hite, we'll never qualify'
If we win tomorrow night you'll hear the same people saying what a great game it was and 'meself and herself always wanted a holiday in Rio'

paul_oshea
05/09/2013, 9:52 AM
Well even if that happened it Rio is still a long way off.

We always say we are due a big win, but that means nothing really and nothing to suggest we are going to get a long overdue win against similar opposition.

But on the bigger argument, its just not as cool to follow football anymore. Rugby and GAA is the cool thing, GAA was always cool, but now its cool for the Rugby crowd to play GAA too!! Its patriotic and nationalistic! A win against Sweden wont change that. I didnt hear about that big effect the Euros had really. I know from London and i cant fathom it most of my mates who would play GAA and who like soccer just dont really care for the national team. They would rather watch their local premiership team on the tele(spurs or arsenal). I can't fathom it to be honest. I'd say more than half dont even know we are playing Sweden and Austria in the next couple of days.

gastric
05/09/2013, 9:57 AM
Personally, I love all three sports equally and in particular the passion of all Irish sporting supporters, whatever the sport. Getting excited about tomorrow's game and maybe I'm a born optimist, but I sense a win coming on!

DannyInvincible
05/09/2013, 11:33 AM
Personally, I love all three sports equally and in particular the passion of all Irish sporting supporters, whatever the sport. Getting excited about tomorrow's game and maybe I'm a born optimist, but I sense a win coming on!

Out of interest, how do you usually watch the games in Oz? Is tomorrow the first time you'll have had a chance to watch the game live on television rather than via an internet stream due to that lad buying the rights, assuming you'd be willing to subscribe or get to some establishment broadcasting it?

Crosby87
05/09/2013, 11:50 AM
He gets up in the middle of the night (sorry, day) and watches it pirated with the lights off via his black market Chinese made Apple. (Known in Oz as the Apricot.) Generally he has a big steak topped with Crocodile bits and an oil can (or ten) of Fosters Bitter. Sometimes his Surfboard slips off the spot he rested it on, hits him in the head, and he gets knocked out for a few minutes. He wakes up to INXS drifting into his house from a nearby Barbecue and takes his shirt off.He admires Tiger Lily Geldof though he tells his wife this not. You sometimes can see a few kangaroos poking their heads into his window when he posts a selfie of the whole ordeal. Occasionally they spit on him. Lately, Mick Dundee has been coming by with a boomerang to join him though Mick understands the finer points of the game not. Whilst a poster of a topless Nicole Kidman wafts gently in his bathroom for whenst he decides to celebrate Irelands latest debacle with a good self rogering. He has boxers he bought on a holiday in New Zealand with pictures of Hugh Jackman on them and he marvels at the direction that his wee wee gets flushed when he emptys his kidneys of said Fosters poison into his loo bowl. Also whenst the Dominos pizza comes the pizza delivery guy (or gal) shakes his hand to make the delivery official in the tradition seen on the Undercover Boss episode I mentioned last winter on here (to great controversy.) On Occasion during stressful parts of the match, assuming the power is still on, he puts his finger in his ear then tastes it.

paul_oshea
05/09/2013, 12:02 PM
Crosby, do you have a beard or some form of facial hair?

geysir
05/09/2013, 1:08 PM
Not much happening on the sports headline front,
'O'Dea ready to fill Dunne's shoes if needed' What is Darren going to say, 'If Richard gets injured, don't shove me on'?

"McCarthy not distracted by Everton move" well, it's not as if Everton are Barcelona, what's there to get distracted about? it's basically the same job - just down the road a bit.

Not a patch on the creative reporting of old about some scandal or another, concerning Robbie.

Stuttgart88
05/09/2013, 1:09 PM
Well even if that happened it Rio is still a long way off.

We always say we are due a big win, but that means nothing really and nothing to suggest we are going to get a long overdue win against similar opposition.

But on the bigger argument, its just not as cool to follow football anymore. Rugby and GAA is the cool thing, GAA was always cool, but now its cool for the Rugby crowd to play GAA too!! Its patriotic and nationalistic! A win against Sweden wont change that. I didnt hear about that big effect the Euros had really. I know from London and i cant fathom it most of my mates who would play GAA and who like soccer just dont really care for the national team. They would rather watch their local premiership team on the tele(spurs or arsenal). I can't fathom it to be honest. I'd say more than half dont even know we are playing Sweden and Austria in the next couple of days.i don't see that as a decline in popularity though. It has ever been thus. GAA was always huge. Rugby internationals have almost always been sell outs, unless against Fiji or Romania. The only difference is that there is a successful pro rugby "club" product now. Footy has had its peaks but more often than not in my lifetime qualifiers have not sold out and many have been sparsely attended.

I disagree with Grafter. I don't think there is any great passion across all 3 codes. We are a nation that needs instant gratification, with no patience for the slow grind of a qualifying campaign. Inter county GAA and most rugby games are glamorous, few Irish football games are. Irish football fans get their fix by attaching themselves to British teams. The national team, especially under Trap, is a poor substitute in terms of glamour and quality. The more our players are drawn from those British clubs not supported by Irish fans, the longer this will persist.

I do think that things will improve if we get a more progressive manager, ideally Irish, and we can play to a second seeding regularly and play home games in an assertive rather than cautious manner.

Stuttgart88
05/09/2013, 1:10 PM
Not much happening on the sports headline front,
'O'Dea ready to fill Dunne's shoes if needed' What is Darren going to say, 'If Richard gets injured, don't shove me on'?

"McCarthy not distracted by Everton move" well, it's not as if Everton are Barcelona, what's there to get distracted about? it's basically the same job - just down the road a bit.

Not a patch on the creative reporting of old about some scandal or another, concerning Robbie.
Try reading Kelly's latest piece about Keane. Someone else can appraise it for its prose this time. I did my shift yesterday.

Grafter
05/09/2013, 1:24 PM
Try reading Kelly's latest piece about Keane. Someone else can appraise it for its prose this time. I did my shift yesterday.
Life really is too short to read Mr Kelly's Ireland articles but considering the number of hatchet jobs he has written on Keane this latest article of his is almost an affectionate love letter to Robbie.... in keeping with the national mood towards Robbie post Faroes salvo!

geysir
05/09/2013, 1:34 PM
Kelly doesn't count, he's a nobody.

But I suppose real missiles will fly if Trap puts Cox at wide midfield.

Metrostars
05/09/2013, 1:38 PM
For those of us in the US, good news:

20:45/ 2:45pm Rep. Ireland v Sweden.....GOL-TV

The Austria game will also be on Gol TV but tape delay at 6:45pm EST.

Any lineup predictions for tomorrow?

geysir
05/09/2013, 1:46 PM
I'd be more interested to hear if anybody has seen pigs flying.

tetsujin1979
05/09/2013, 2:25 PM
team announced: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/375625214430048256

Team to face Sweden: Forde, Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, Wilson, Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, McClean, Keane, Long #COYBIG (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23COYBIG&src=hash) #IrlSwe (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23IrlSwe&src=hash)

Press conference live on rte.ie at the moment: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2013, 2:25 PM
As expected: Forde, Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, Wilson, Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, McClean, Keane, Long

McClean ahead of Brady and Pilkington the only possible surprise but that was always pretty close.

Bungle
05/09/2013, 2:40 PM
Happy with the team, especially with the defence. Pilks and Brady are better players than James, but McClean is a good player and has a presence about him. Would love to see the pre Euro 2012 McClean come out rather than the McClean of last season!! If the game needs creativity, I'd like to think that Brady might come on at some point. I really think Pilks will make that position is own though in the long run or at least until we get a new manager..Trap doesn't seem to trust Robbie B and Anto has a bit of everything in his locker. Good that we have some real options to pick from.

shakermaker1982
05/09/2013, 3:13 PM
Hopefully McClean can get the ball past the first defender tomorrow (corners and when in play).

DannyInvincible
05/09/2013, 4:52 PM
Pleased with the line-up. Forde is deserving of his spot. By the sounds of things, Dunne has started the season well and I think, partnered with O'Shea, helps form our strongest central pairing. Soz, doc!

Might give it a miss. That other one put even the most verbose amongst us to shame! :o

mark12345
05/09/2013, 4:57 PM
Happy with the team, especially with the defence. Pilks and Brady are better players than James, but McClean is a good player and has a presence about him. Would love to see the pre Euro 2012 McClean come out rather than the McClean of last season!! If the game needs creativity, I'd like to think that Brady might come on at some point. I really think Pilks will make that position is own though in the long run or at least until we get a new manager..Trap doesn't seem to trust Robbie B and Anto has a bit of everything in his locker. Good that we have some real options to pick from.

Saying it now, a full 25 hours before kick off but Trap has made his bed with that team.

Admittedly there are ten decent choices there (O'Shea isn't a decent choice but he has become the default candidate because Trap has failed to blood a replacement) but to have Whelan in the team instead of Hoolahan is just inviting the Swedes to take the ball in the middle of the park and do what they want with it. McCarthy will spend his time ferrying in front of the back four and be stuck there and have no attacking influence while Whelan will be running around studying cloud formation in the skies above Dublin 4.

Trying to wash the pessism of my hands but it's increasingly difficult these days.

Olé Olé
05/09/2013, 5:17 PM
McClean was one of our best players the last game against Sweden. Deserves another chance against them. Pilkington has a good PL record but this was hardly the debut to give him (i.e. from the start). Brady can be counted as unlucky, but I'm sure it was close.

Supreme feet
05/09/2013, 6:06 PM
Saying it now, a full 25 hours before kick off but Trap has made his bed with that team.

Admittedly there are ten decent choices there (O'Shea isn't a decent choice but he has become the default candidate because Trap has failed to blood a replacement) but to have Whelan in the team instead of Hoolahan is just inviting the Swedes to take the ball in the middle of the park and do what they want with it. McCarthy will spend his time ferrying in front of the back four and be stuck there and have no attacking influence while Whelan will be running around studying cloud formation in the skies above Dublin 4.

Trying to wash the pessism of my hands but it's increasingly difficult these days.

I thought Hoolahan would have been a genuine alternative to Whelan after the Georgia and Faroe Islands games, but he fluffed his audition badly against Wales in being outmuscled, nullified, and forced into conceding dangerous counter-attack ball. Whelan is limited, but the idea of Hoolahan 'anchoring' midfield in a game where we may have to defend intelligently, is a nightmare scenario.