PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Sweden - Friday, 6th September 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

IsMiseSean
31/08/2013, 5:41 PM
Watching CP v Sunderland. Westwood isn't exactly filling me full of confidence, think I'd rather see Forde start Friday night.

Bungle
31/08/2013, 6:39 PM
Always thought he was a bit of a gob****e, but he seems a bit of a legend.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXi6i6xtesI

Crosby87
31/08/2013, 8:09 PM
Gosh, Sunderland stink. NBC has them on network TV vs all the opening college football games, and the US Open on CBS. Wonder what the ratings for that game will be? Too low to record perhaps.

Charlie Darwin
31/08/2013, 8:13 PM
Gosh, Sunderland stink. NBC has them on network TV vs all the opening college football games, and the US Open on CBS. Wonder what the ratings for that game will be? Too low to record perhaps.
Well with no games involving a top side at 3pm, they were left with either Sunderland (Altidore) or Everton (Howard) for American interest, and I guess Altidore is the US's next great hope for a world class player so lots of people would watch just for that. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot of Sunderland matches on US TV this year, especially if they snag Dempsey on loan in the winter.

elroy
31/08/2013, 8:28 PM
WW made some good saves today but he was poor for the goal. He doesnt take command of his area and seems weak and short of confidence under set pieces and crosses - ironically its a criticism that often was leveled at Shay.

Wouldve prefered WW to Forde a year ago. But Forde's performances for us have been excellent. The very area WW is weak in, Forde has been superb. I see Forde played full game for Millwall today - would be my choice to start on Friday.

elroy
31/08/2013, 8:35 PM
In the final 23, appears we only have Whelan, McCarthy and Green as 'typical' centre mids. Yes Wes is there as well but seems a little short.

Crosby87
31/08/2013, 9:43 PM
Did we have any injuries today?

Sullivinho
31/08/2013, 10:23 PM
O'Shea suffered a bruised ego (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23915620) but should be alright.

Crosby87
31/08/2013, 10:44 PM
This is from a few days ago but the durable Kallstrom is back for the Swedies. (in case anyone missed it.)
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/sweden-recall-kallstrom-for-irish-tie-29532406.html

geysir
31/08/2013, 10:58 PM
Lustig is definitely out.

Stuttgart88
01/09/2013, 8:40 AM
Westwood doesn't look confident himself, although I wouldn't fault him for the goals. The first one got a nick to divert the ball at a very close distance and the third was a belter. He over dived the penalty but I can say from experience that that happens. He was gng to his left regardless and the ball went hard and low slightly left of centre. Really frustrating when that happens, it's happened to me. You just can't get the hands down quickly enough.

That said, Forde's calmness wins it for me a assuming he's properly sharp.

OwlsFan
01/09/2013, 8:54 AM
Yes Wes is there as well but seems a little short.

Is that a pun ?

DannyInvincible
01/09/2013, 10:02 AM
Westwood doesn't look confident himself, although I wouldn't fault him for the goals. The first one got a nick to divert the ball at a very close distance and the third was a belter. He over dived the penalty but I can say from experience that that happens. He was gng to his left regardless and the ball went hard and low slightly left of centre. Really frustrating when that happens, it's happened to me. You just can't get the hands down quickly enough.

Goals and highlights of that game can be viewed here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/england/crystal-palace-v-sunderland-live-video-updates/

MOTD highlights:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x141cq9_matchhighlight-com-cpsu-motd_sport#from=embediframe

I think Sunderland will be in trouble this season. For some reason, I have this impression of Di Canio being a bit of a hot-headed buffoon...

ArdeeBhoy
01/09/2013, 10:16 AM
Di Canio is a hot-headed buffoon...

And don't care who plays in nets. Neither is much better than the other. Ultimately our virtually total lack of creativity will be our undoing.

Sullivinho
01/09/2013, 1:06 PM
I think Sunderland will be in trouble this season. For some reason, I have this impression of Di Canio being a bit of a hot-headed buffoon...

It'l be an absolute trainwreck and wickedly entertaining for anyone with a persuasion not of Sunderland A.F.C.

Even when they inevitably realise their horrific mistake, I hope TPTB over there stubbornly persist with him. Their blind optimism will continue to surrogate us a real life Fawlty Towers!

Crosby87
01/09/2013, 1:41 PM
Good to see you feeling positive, Ardee.

DannyInvincible
01/09/2013, 1:44 PM
I can envisage major fall-outs with players if he's going to engage in publicly questioning their ability and desire: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23915620

"Our leader didn't react in the way he should. That is terrible because it was a crucial game for us," said Di Canio.

"The penalty didn't come from a dangerous situation. It's absolutely poor and not acceptable.

"It was difficult to see this goal at this level. John O'Shea did something really wrong but he is an experienced footballer.

"It won't determine the outcome of our season but if we don't think every ball could be crucial, then it could be a problem."

"It is not just with John O'Shea, but with a few players and there is not the right desire," added the Italian. "I cannot change the heart of my players.

"We were on top for most of the game but three very pathetic goals that we conceded did not give us the chance to fight back."

Sunderland have signed 12 players this summer but Di Canio hinted there could be further additions to his squad before the transfer window closes at 23:00 BST on Monday.

"Now everybody can understand why we asked for a few players in areas of the field," he said.

Sullivinho
01/09/2013, 2:02 PM
He went even further than that in an interview with Talksport. (http://talksport.com/football/di-canio-o%E2%80%99shea-cost-sunderland-points-again-13083158095)

“He is one of our best and experienced players, so I would rather he not come into the dressing room and say sorry because two games in a row is already too much," he raged.

The guy is utterly tactless.

DannyInvincible
01/09/2013, 2:07 PM
Is this the GIF you were looking for?:

http://img.pandawhale.com/51820-Deer-Popcorn-gif-5rR3.gif

the doc
01/09/2013, 2:30 PM
Di Canio is a hot-headed buffoon...

And don't care who plays in nets. Neither is much better than the other. Ultimately our virtually total lack of creativity will be our undoing.

Your a bundle of fun aren't you?

Relax we will win this game!

Crosby87
01/09/2013, 2:41 PM
Do you know its pronounced "Jif"? Thats weird isn't it? most people say Gif like "Gift".

DannyInvincible
01/09/2013, 2:48 PM
Do you know its pronounced "Jif"? Thats weird isn't it? most people say Gif like "Gift".

Indeed, it was BBC headline news a few months back: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22620473

ArdeeBhoy
01/09/2013, 4:35 PM
Your a bundle of fun aren't you?

Relax we will win this game!

Because you say so, doc? Nope.
Two 0-0 draws, probably.

And that is positive. Clearly all the optimists haven't been watching how we play with Trap in charge etc.

Crosby87
01/09/2013, 6:56 PM
You might as well just wear this makeup to the game Ardee.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9RPw7XSzBWz__5ARdDO8O3dbuIktef wP6I5uzw9VdXuyv_aATXA

Grafter
01/09/2013, 8:32 PM
Stephen Kelly out of Sweden game because of "family reasons" according to BBC, suppose McShane could deputise if Coleman gets injured, reassuring lol!

the doc
01/09/2013, 10:37 PM
The message has gone out,

Time for The Return of the Saint?

ArdeeBhoy
01/09/2013, 11:53 PM
You might as well just wear this makeup to the game Ardee.
Why??

jbyrne
02/09/2013, 1:01 PM
hopefully not an issue but...
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0902/471734-wilson-a-doubt-for-sweden-game/

Crosby87
02/09/2013, 3:06 PM
why would a possible transfer after ten weeks of speculation cause James Mac to be absent? That annoys me.

DannyInvincible
02/09/2013, 3:20 PM
why would a possible transfer after ten weeks of speculation cause James Mac to be absent? That annoys me.

Today is transfer deadline day for English Premier League clubs. Everton only put forward a bid of £10 million for him today, as far as I know. That bid was rejected by Wigan. Clubs always leave this sort of business until the very last minute as they try to play the clock and squeeze through the best deal. Everton also have to ensure that the offloading of Fellaini to Manchester United goes smoothly. That has complicated matters, but once they can be sure all is good on that front, they'll most likely raise their bid for McCarthy and he'll be an Everton player by just about 11:59PM tonight. (Edit: Actually, make that 10:59PM; the window shuts at 11PM rathter than midnight.)

Kevin Kilbane wrote an interesting piece for the BBC on how it all works the other day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23760763

DannyInvincible
02/09/2013, 4:15 PM
I'd like to think this photo is completely genuine; Manchester United earlier attempt to keep the identity of their newest signing a secret:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1174666_580261885369638_1521189276_n.jpg

Paddy Garcia
02/09/2013, 4:25 PM
Cunningham called up

DannyInvincible
02/09/2013, 4:35 PM
Cunningham called up

In place of Wilson? Has Trap lost all faith in Stephen Ward then?

tetsujin1979
02/09/2013, 5:18 PM
precaution, apparently, Wilson is still expected to be fit for Friday

Crosby87
02/09/2013, 7:57 PM
Bob Keane has 59 Intl goals in 127 matches. It will be hard getting into the top ten but he is looking at some guy from Iraq and Drogba with 61 each. I believe he is currently 13th.
Swedens all time scorer I believe is Sven Rydell with 49.
And what is up with Lily Collins eyebrows?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTefbx3C_W9XXzngCN-wsCyVT9LdXVP9vK5hwvLghJhEzoPHRXM

paul_oshea
03/09/2013, 3:27 PM
Thick eyebrows are all in for some reason. I think they are very masculine.

Fixer82
03/09/2013, 3:34 PM
I HATE those Angry Birds eyebrows. Walking around Blanchardstown Shopping Centre is scary with all the girls with big black eyebrows.
like that baby in the Simpsons that Maggie hates

Next thing that will be in fashion for girls will be having massive big biceps

Oh and Robbie to score a hat-trick on Friday

DannyInvincible
03/09/2013, 7:10 PM
Eyebrows, eh?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/gibb.png

Sullivinho
03/09/2013, 7:57 PM
http://s17.postimg.org/4il6zxqgv/his_eyebrows_slipped_down_his_face.jpg

gastric
04/09/2013, 6:30 AM
Would have to say that Kelly makes some very valid points in this article.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/david-kelly-traps-redundant-style-the-biggest-barrier-to-victory-29549849.html

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 6:58 AM
The sub headline was the highlight and was absolutely right, but WTF was half the rest of it about? Was he trying to show off to his old English teacher or something?

"An eerie sense of ethereal stasis envelops its being"

"For all the vituperative invective shot across Robbie Keane's tattooed bows"

"It would be particularly difficult to find a more tedious triptych of plodders on the European international scene"

"A modern nation schooled on the breathless anticipation and boundless courage of coaches and players in other codes should sniff indifferently at the international team"

And here was me thinking that Declan Kidney was derided for being negative and that rugby was struggling to recruit volunteers at local level.

This last point was an insult to the many hard working coaches and participants of grass roots and other levels of Irish football.

We are dull and unadventurous under Trap and many of us fear it will be our downfall. Irish fans are more interested in glamorous UK teams. The rest was just his latest dig at Irish football. Maybe it's just me, but I think he looks down on Keane for being a Tallaght kid rather than being from some leafy suburb and private school. Not just on the basis of this comment but when everything he writes about him is taken into account.

gastric
04/09/2013, 7:14 AM
Fair point about the quotes you picked, but in terms of sentiment, I believe he has a point about Trap's reign.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 7:55 AM
Which is pretty much what I said!

ArdeeBhoy has been stating Kelly's key point far more directly all along (even allowing for superfluous punctualtion, italics and emoticons!). We're boring, unadventurous and hard to watch unless you're a loyal fan. It will cost us.

Another criticism: I think Kelly is actually wrong about Sweden and Austria being plodders. If they're plodders then who isn't apart from 6 or 7 elite countries in Europe? And the stuff about courageous heroes in other codes in a modern country…holy God as Miley would say.

I've said this umpteen times here before: if you have such a loathing of Irish football don't write about it. Kelly probably had a quick toss after re-reading his article. Flamboyant wordsmithery and a dig at football at the expense of his favoured sports and another dig at Keane's working class roots. David Kelly, you're no Con Houlihan. F off.

gastric
04/09/2013, 8:42 AM
Which is pretty much what I said!

Sorry, I missed your point because of your rant!:)

paul_oshea
04/09/2013, 9:10 AM
Is anyone else getting fed up with the constant talk of satisfaction if we get 4 points? 4 points means its not in our own hands, as we are not going to beat Germany, and sweden still have Germany at home.

We need 6 points its clear and simple. This talk of 4 points could see us end up getting 2 points, where we arent capable of beating Austria away and settle for a draw with Sweden. Its very worrying. If the whole team have this in the back of the mind when we hit the 80 min mark there wont be that urgency to press on for the win. Its also smacks of lack of confidence or belief in our capability in getting the 2 wins.

jbyrne
04/09/2013, 9:11 AM
cant understand how what journalists write and say gets so much coverage here. their views are no more worthy than anyone else and most of them have agendas anyway so its hard to believe that even they themselves truly believe what they write.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2013, 9:20 AM
Is anyone else getting fed up with the constant talk of satisfaction if we get 4 points? 4 points means its not in our own hands, as we are not going to beat Germany, and sweden still have Germany at home.

We need 6 points its clear and simple. This talk of 4 points could see us end up getting 2 points, where we arent capable of beating Austria away and settle for a draw with Sweden. Its very worrying. If the whole team have this in the back of the mind when we hit the 80 min mark there wont be that urgency to press on for the win. Its also smacks of lack of confidence or belief in our capability in getting the 2 wins.I'd be happy with 4 points though. Seriously.

And I am aware of the consequences for the group. It's just that I fear we won't even get 4 points and 4 points keeps us in it until October's games and probably lands a telling blow against a rival. I think the correct objective to state is "minimum 4 points".

Lionel Ritchie
04/09/2013, 9:38 AM
Wearisome article alright. Only gets succinct in the last couple of lines when it's pointed out that an Ireland team sent out to win on friday would quite possibly do so. Not that I expect that to happen.

Dunno what the bookies are saying but another 0-0 (or 1-1) on Friday is probably what we're looking at, thereafter I'd say a Swedish win the next most likely.

ABs call of a couple of nil nils in these games is the most likely outcome - as much use to us as a motorbikes ashtray as that'd be. Hoping Germany put away Austria too.

SwanVsDalton
04/09/2013, 9:46 AM
Wearisome article alright. Only gets succinct in the last couple of lines when it's pointed out that an Ireland team sent out to win on friday would quite possibly do so.

That's one of the article's three actual football points, along with obvious-as-day assertions like 'Trapattoni iz conservative!' and 'Keane is, begrudgingly, our only goalscorer'.

Call me old-fashioned but I like football writers to actually talk about football. No actual analysis from Kelly, just banal observations combined with thesaurus vomit snark.

David Kelly, you're no Con Houlihan. F off.

Agreed.

Good point POS. We need wins. Four points is the minimum but, no matter what, we have to win on Friday. Our chances of getting a win under-the-gun in Austria, after just a point at home, would be negligible. Beat the Swedes and look to capitalise in Vienna.

gastric
04/09/2013, 9:47 AM
cant understand how what journalists write and say gets so much coverage here. their views are no more worthy than anyone else and most of them have agendas anyway so its hard to believe that even they themselves truly believe what they write.

The reason I posted this was because it validated much of what I feel about Irish football, and I think such articles generate debate, which is good as it is interesting to hear the opinions of others.