PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Sweden - Friday, 6th September 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

pineapple stu
26/08/2013, 1:24 PM
"Footballer a bit upset but not that much really" is the story here.
Yep. Also "Footballer really wants to play for his country". I like that in an era of players retiring from international football in their 20s.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2013, 1:26 PM
Irish Times headline runs "Keogh questions Trapattoni over selection procedures". By tomorrow this will have turned into a full scale player strike among my rugby friends!

DannyInvincible
26/08/2013, 1:27 PM
Twitter provides a forum for the publication of opinions and information of dubious newsworthiness that otherwise would not have been made publicly known and, therefore, not afforded further media exposure or public recognition. As you highlight, it confers upon such expressions an air of significance that would not have been enjoyed prior to the existence of social media. We live in an information age, however.

Grafter
26/08/2013, 1:29 PM
Some of the comments under the RTE story make foot.ie look like an elite university debating society.

It's actually true, whenever I want to feel superior I read RTE comments section:D

On twitter, think Keogh tweeted that comment at half ten and in sports chat on Radio 1 at 11am it was the lead soccer story... bit ironic how Gibson chirped into the conversation with his two cents as well.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2013, 1:32 PM
If anyone actually wants to read anything meaningful about the Sweden game The Examiner has actually decided to report on the match, Trap's thoughts on Dunne, Brady and Coleman and generally interesting stuff. Shame on them for breaking ranks like that!

http://examiner.ie/sport/soccer/trap-coy-on-dunne-double-jobbing-241023.html

DannyInvincible
26/08/2013, 1:34 PM
bit ironic how Gibson chirped into the conversation with his two cents as well.

Trap needs to get on Twitter; might be the quickest way to get a response to his communication attempts from Gibson!

Serb
26/08/2013, 2:12 PM
As an international football manager, you're looking at a pool of maybe 30 - 35 players who are likely to be selected at any one time. There's always going to be a core group of players who are always going to make the squad, but I'd say each one of those players reckons they have a decent shot of making the squad, and each one is going to be disappointed if they don't. You pick 23 players, the question is, what's the etiquette around notifying some or all of the 12 or so players who don't make the squad? The basic ground rules need to be:

1. Not every player needs to be told every time that they're not in a squad.
2. If you picked a player in the previous squad and have decided to not pick them this time, you need to call them and tell them.
3. When you call them, give them a reason as to why they're not in your squad. "You're not being picked for your club". "I've gone for a more physical side this time around". Whatever.
4. You don't need to keep ringing that player for every squad after that.
5. Texting is not appropriate. It's too open to misinterpretation and it's asynchronous. A 5 minute call will inform the player and give them a chance to ask questions and save the inevitable back and forth that texting causes.

If you follow those rules, players know where they stand. They know they'll get a call one way or another having been involved in the previous squad. They're not going to take to Twitter and spout shîte. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a manager to spend 20 minutes making calls to previously involved players.

geysir
26/08/2013, 4:11 PM
An Andy Keogh tweet makes it to headline news?

You're kidding, right??

Stuttgart88
26/08/2013, 6:05 PM
You're kidding, right??sadly, no

Crosby87
26/08/2013, 10:32 PM
I think a phone call is more awkward than anything for the player tbh. I would rather just find out and not have to do any heavy breathing. I mean what do you try to do, lobby some FAI employee? So well um...did Trap say why? Ask if you can talk to Paola? And what if the guy doesnt pick up, like Gibson, and you leave a message? Do you call again to make sure he got it? Bit like a Seinfeld episode.
Keogh should count his blessings.

ArdeeBhoy
26/08/2013, 11:04 PM
At this stage who cares, it's all a mess and we're just waiting for Trap to jump ship.
:(

geysir
26/08/2013, 11:58 PM
If anyone actually wants to read anything meaningful about the Sweden game The Examiner has actually decided to report on the match, Trap's thoughts on Dunne, Brady and Coleman and generally interesting stuff. Shame on them for breaking ranks like that!

http://examiner.ie/sport/soccer/trap-coy-on-dunne-double-jobbing-241023.html
Trap has more than a few old communist strains in his Opus Dei blood, considering his praise of the noble proleterian art of workmanlike football having such great value, over and above genius.
“Some players sing, while others carry the cross,” he said. “You must go and work. Creative players don’t usually have this habit as they only play violin.
“Brady is creative but Sweden have a right-back [Martin] Lustig who is like Coleman. If you don’t run back, he will go and make a cross.”

Lustig's form is hot or luke warm, depends on his fitness/injuries, lately he's just putting in a string of average shifts. But even at his best, he'll not offer a special threat, at least not anything any Irish midfield player hasn't seen before or cannot cope with.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2013, 12:02 AM
Lustig isn't great but surely if he has an inch he can put in a good cross, and Zlatan is about eight feet tall. Still, I doubt Walters' defensive capabilities are above Brady's.

geysir
27/08/2013, 8:55 AM
The dangerous cross threat is great in theory but a good cross from open play is a rare sight.
Our central defenders are more likely to be able to deal with that sort of thing than a crafty Zlatan and his one man show, picking up the ball around the D, passing to himself, then picking up the return from himself, before nonchalantly flicking the ball into the top corner with his little toe, from 20 metres.

Crosby87
27/08/2013, 11:30 AM
As long as this kid is in front we will be fine.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgI2ZyYVkIGx01FTVOTrOIrDlsamutQ RtnmmGrhkXk9iH860wZ

tetsujin1979
27/08/2013, 12:53 PM
Swedish squad announced: http://svenskfotboll.se/arkiv/landslag/2013/08/vm-kvaltrupp-september/
translated: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsvenskfotboll.se%2Farkiv%2Flandslag %2F2013%2F08%2Fvm-kvaltrupp-september

Stuttgart88
27/08/2013, 1:18 PM
Swedish squad announced: http://svenskfotboll.se/arkiv/landslag/2013/08/vm-kvaltrupp-september/
translated: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsvenskfotboll.se%2Farkiv%2Flandslag %2F2013%2F08%2Fvm-kvaltrupp-september
"But to Norway Collection was a bit different conditions. Then, with Rasmus. Now is not available Rasmus and then I think Kim will be here."

That sounds like Trap speaking.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2013, 1:26 PM
Rasmus will no doubt be tweeting his displeasure about this perceived slight.

Yard of Pace
27/08/2013, 1:43 PM
"But to Norway Collection was a bit different conditions. Then, with Rasmus. Now is not available Rasmus and then I think Kim will be here."

That sounds like Trap speaking.

I believe that Trap passed away a number of years ago and what we've been seeing is the first prototype Google-translate using, "Foreign Manager With Many Honours-bot", which has been utilized in this case by the hitherto useless Marco Tardelli. This bot values workrate stats and loyalty stats above any other football-related assets and will continue, hell-bent, and not for turning until his software is terminated by the organization which currently own the copyright. In this case, Denis O'Brien, the billionaire tyrant.

SwanVsDalton
27/08/2013, 1:50 PM
I believe that Trap passed away a number of years ago and what we've been seeing is the first prototype Google-translate using, "Foreign Manager With Many Honours-bot", which has been utilized in this case by the hitherto useless Marco Tardelli. This bot values workrate stats and loyalty stats above any other football-related assets and will continue, hell-bent, and not for turning until his software is terminated by the organization which currently own the copyright. In this case, Denis O'Brien, the billionaire tyrant.

Or we're all just fictional computer sprites in a game of Football Manager, in which the player controlling Trap has chosen to 'go on holiday' for several years.

http://i.imgur.com/pZLjI.png

Serb
27/08/2013, 3:24 PM
Doesn't look like the Swedes are missing any key players. The one thing that strikes me about the Ireland squad (and has always been the case really) is the absolute lack of goals in the team (apart from Robbie Keane obviously). Sweden have four players in that squad with 15+ goals. Only six players have ever scored 15+ goals for Ireland. Ever.

mark12345
27/08/2013, 4:13 PM
Doesn't look like the Swedes are missing any key players. The one thing that strikes me about the Ireland squad (and has always been the case really) is the absolute lack of goals in the team (apart from Robbie Keane obviously). Sweden have four players in that squad with 15+ goals. Only six players have ever scored 15+ goals for Ireland. Ever.

Too true about the lack of goals in our side. Never realised it was so acute though.

I've got to the point where I'm hoping and praying for the best on September 6 (and 10th) but I won't be too downhearted if we don't make it. I want to see the best teams in Brazil (there are some really fantastic teams - totally underrated - going to be there, like Belgium, Colombia, Chile). The question we need to ask ourselves is do you want a repeat of Euro 2012 or even worse?? If we get there we'll have done something good and grown up as a team in the space of two games and hopefully can kick on from there. My instincts tell me it won't happen, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

jbyrne
27/08/2013, 4:16 PM
I've got to the point where I'm hoping and praying for the best on September 6 (and 10th) but I won't be too downhearted if we don't make it. I want to see the best teams in Brazil (there are some really fantastic teams - totally underrated - going to be there, like Belgium, Colombia, Chile). The question we need to ask ourselves is do you want a repeat of Euro 2012 or even worse?? If we get there we'll have done something good and grown up as a team in the space of two games and hopefully can kick on from there.

if we qualify for the wc it wont be a repeat of the euors if we have a fit squad travelling. we also wont meet 3 teams as good as italy, croatia and spain in the group stages. if we are good enough to qualify through a european group and play offs then we will be good enough to be competitive.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2013, 4:28 PM
Too true about the lack of goals in our side. Never realised it was so acute though.

I've got to the point where I'm hoping and praying for the best on September 6 (and 10th) but I won't be too downhearted if we don't make it. I want to see the best teams in Brazil (there are some really fantastic teams - totally underrated - going to be there, like Belgium, Colombia, Chile). The question we need to ask ourselves is do you want a repeat of Euro 2012 or even worse?? If we get there we'll have done something good and grown up as a team in the space of two games and hopefully can kick on from there. My instincts tell me it won't happen, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.
I want us to qualify and do well. I'm not scared of being embarrassed at a major competition like some Ireland fans seem to be.

DannyInvincible
27/08/2013, 4:30 PM
Indeed, nothing embarrassing about qualifying for a major finals.

geysir
27/08/2013, 7:32 PM
Still no show from McGeady for Spartak, for yesterday's game.
I suppose he's not vital for us, considering he's more brain than brawn but i'd prefer if he was there, fit and able to play.

ArdeeBhoy
27/08/2013, 10:47 PM
Indeed, nothing embarrassing about qualifying for a major finals.
Probably, but easy for most on here to say as they won't be going anywhere near the place...

But it won't be an issue, as with Trap, we're predestined to miss out. Can't believe anyone thinks we'll still make it at this stage.
Not only do we need at least 7 points, or even nine (!), we have to win a play-off v. a better side. No chance, on the basis of current personnel and more annoyingly tactics/team selection.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2013, 10:58 PM
I don't think we'll make it but if we do I won't be ashamed, no matter how we perform. What gets me is the people who are more worried about how we fare against the elite than just having our country represented at the top level and giving our players and fans are unforgettable experience from which they'll undoubtedly benefit. I'm sad that the Euros worked out the way they did, but I'm absolutely delighted that guys like Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger and John O'Shea finally got the opportunity to play at the elite level of international football and I really hope they will again, where they will have improved from their experience. They sweated enough blood for this country that they will have deserved every minute.

Grafter
27/08/2013, 11:14 PM
I don't think we'll make it but if we do I won't be ashamed, no matter how we perform. What gets me is the people who are more worried about how we fare against the elite than just having our country represented at the top level and giving our players and fans are unforgettable experience from which they'll undoubtedly benefit. I'm sad that the Euros worked out the way they did, but I'm absolutely delighted that guys like Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger and John O'Shea finally got the opportunity to play at the elite level of international football and I really hope they will again, where they will have improved from their experience. They sweated enough blood for this country that they will have deserved every minute.

Well put Charlie, puts the 50th Anniversary of the "I Have A Dream Speech" this week in the shade;)

gastric
27/08/2013, 11:50 PM

Would agree wholeheartedly with you and personally I think for our tiny population we do very well internationally. My biggest criticism would be Trap's conservative, hoof type football (I do agree it is slowly changing) which I feel shows a lack of trust in the players' ability and does nothing to make the sport attractive to the general public.

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2013, 12:17 AM
I would agree to an extent about Trap's tactics but I also think the players are culpable. We have seen in numerous games (most notably the Wales game) that the team start off passing the ball and then retreat into their shells once the opposition take initiative.

Crosby87
28/08/2013, 12:38 AM
When are the Swedish fans arriving? Danny Invincible is going to have to be tied down.https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYOdsb-9jAswpNwv0Xn2d3dnfp8dizr2oc3FvzYRV783X5z6rB

gastric
28/08/2013, 1:33 AM
I would agree to an extent about Trap's tactics but I also think the players are culpable. We have seen in numerous games (most notably the Wales game) that the team start off passing the ball and then retreat into their shells once the opposition take initiative.

Could that be a loss of confidence brought about by a negative, tactical approach that doesn't suit the players?

Grafter
28/08/2013, 5:09 AM
Some comic relief methinks....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQDspolPY4

NeverFeltBetter
28/08/2013, 9:13 AM

I thought we played great in the first 15 minutes against the Germans. Really seemed like we wanted to have a go. Same thing against Sweden and Austria, but it never lasts.

Supreme feet
28/08/2013, 9:26 AM
Some of the comments under the RTE story make foot.ie look like an elite university debating society.

Without mentioning names, I think one or two trolls who used to lurk in this parish have found a new home on the RTE site. This place went through a few phases of being monged up by certain unpleasant individuals.

It's relatively tranquil these days - the most inflammatory/one-eyed poster we have now is probably Sean St. Ledger.

SwanVsDalton
28/08/2013, 9:36 AM
I know I shouldn't be - it'll only end in tears - but I'm really excited for Friday week's match.

Crunch tie, under the lights, a (hopefully) cracking atmosphere, fingernails bitten to splinters...can't be beat. The eternal optimist in me says we've got to turn somebody over eventually, why not Sweden?! [There's a million reasons why not, I know]

Crosby87
28/08/2013, 11:27 AM
Clark needs to mark Zlatan like this:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMnfAxNRPSA4sWg_dyiXlnHEYwEe6XA kEO3M4AG3RxJge-34GqEg

DannyInvincible
28/08/2013, 12:42 PM
When are the Swedish fans arriving? Danny Invincible is going to have to be tied down.https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYOdsb-9jAswpNwv0Xn2d3dnfp8dizr2oc3FvzYRV783X5z6rB

Me?! I thought it was Sully who'll have to be tied down!

(Have you a bigger version of that image?)

EAFC_rdfl
28/08/2013, 1:01 PM
Without mentioning names, I think one or two trolls who used to lurk in this parish have found a new home on the RTE site. This place went through a few phases of being monged up by certain unpleasant individuals.

It's relatively tranquil these days - the most inflammatory/one-eyed poster we have now is probably Sean St. Ledger.

A nod to tricky_colour too, he can be hard work at times :-P

Stuttgart88
28/08/2013, 2:10 PM

It's relatively tranquil these days - the most inflammatory/one-eyed poster we have now is probably Sean St. Ledger.You forgot Chuck D!

Stuttgart88
28/08/2013, 2:11 PM
I know I shouldn't be - it'll only end in tears - but I'm really excited for Friday week's match.

Crunch tie, under the lights, a (hopefully) cracking atmosphere, fingernails bitten to splinters...can't be beat. The eternal optimist in me says we've got to turn somebody over eventually, why not Sweden?! [There's a million reasons why not, I know]I've arranged to meet my mates at Bellamy's even though it's the wrong side of the ground for us. We haven't had our pre-match beers there since pre-Croke Park. This will be our trump card on the night!

IsMiseSean
28/08/2013, 4:03 PM
I've a feeling it's going to be like Slovakia at home a couple of years ago, but if it results in us qualifying then happy days :D

back of the net
28/08/2013, 4:17 PM
I've a feeling it's going to be like Slovakia at home a couple of years ago, but if it results in us qualifying then happy days :D

Jesus I hope not - we were awful, outpassed by the slovaks and for a Majority of the game outplayed by them

An in-form and up for it Ibrahimovic will bury us if our performance is anything like it was against the slovaks and we can kiss our WC chances goodbye

back of the net
28/08/2013, 4:18 PM
On another note .................

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0828/470832-fan-buys-rights-to-ireland-game-in-australia/

zero
28/08/2013, 4:20 PM
jeff hendrick is the first (i think) to withdraw from the squad. ankle injury.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0828/470825-hendrick-out-of-ireland-squad/

DannyInvincible
28/08/2013, 6:50 PM
jeff hendrick is the first (i think) to withdraw from the squad. ankle injury.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0828/470825-hendrick-out-of-ireland-squad/

There are no plans at present to add a replacement, according to the FAI.

Keogh's not on stand-by then, I see.

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2013, 6:53 PM
Keogh's not on stand-by then, I see.
Nor Gibson #noloyalty

geysir
28/08/2013, 7:41 PM
Well, there's Andy R...
aaargh!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4eE35bvQ_u3rW4gM5U6fJqBnKPCL42 l-4n721ZmUf35psvotX

geysir
28/08/2013, 9:00 PM
I had an Ireland related football dream last night, doesn't happen often.
McCarthy tigerishly won the ball from a malingering Swede defender and hammered it home into the bottom left corner. The ref disallowed the goal, James was deemed to be too aggressive.
But the omens were good.
I wouldn't rush to the bookies based on that, not even with a featherweight Tricky C sized bet, but I do feel different about the game. We just might do it.