PDA

View Full Version : No UCD or Dublin City in Premier Division

Shelsman
07/10/2004, 12:43 PM
How would you like it if there was no UCD or DC in the Premier Division?

boc123
07/10/2004, 12:45 PM
Love it :) :D :)

A face
07/10/2004, 12:47 PM
Ther clubs would be stronger if there weren't there .... i dunno .... it's hard to say really.

observer
07/10/2004, 3:01 PM
It might be Rovers on the way if the threatened strike takes place.
No mon, no fun. ;)

Éanna
07/10/2004, 11:25 PM
it has to be on merit unfortunately, which means non-dub clubs need to sort themselves out.

pineapple stu
08/10/2004, 12:00 AM
Had to vote (c), I suppose, though (b) is the obvious correct answer, and anyone who thinks otherwise is codding themselves.

Q_Elexra
08/10/2004, 9:51 AM
it has to be on merit unfortunately, which means non-dub clubs need to sort themselves out.

Well 4/4 clubs in the semi-finals of the FAI Cup were non-Dublin. Admittedly the Dublin clubs have a wash on the Premier Division. However there are clubs (Drogheda, Cork, Longford) that are doing well this season. I can see a huge change in Irish football in the next few years (Shels are still winning too many matches though)

Éanna
10/10/2004, 1:58 PM
I moved this to the general forum, might get a bit more traffic there

Iorfa
10/10/2004, 2:25 PM
However there are clubs (Drogheda, Cork, Longford) that are doing well this season.

:rolleyes:

thecorner
10/10/2004, 2:26 PM
voted no for both of them ven bein in the league but not for the reason giving...reason...they offer sweet fa to the eircom league...shouldnt even be in the first division :eek:

A face
10/10/2004, 2:49 PM
So whats all this about you being a Dublin City fan thecorner ?? :eek: :D

thecorner
10/10/2004, 2:57 PM
So whats all this about you being a Dublin City fan thecorner ?? :eek: :D

ah it could be worse...i could be a celtic fan...eh face ;)

Gary
10/10/2004, 4:29 PM
...they offer sweet fa to the eircom league...

Imagine a UCD Vs Dublin City cup final? They wouldnt even fill all the seats in Belfield for that.

I would prefer see a prem div without both, and hopefully within a few years that will be a reality.

A face
10/10/2004, 4:45 PM
ah it could be worse...i could be a Sell-Thick fan...eh face ;)

Sell-Thick ... chríst above ... you better count your blessings so !! :D

Poor Student
10/10/2004, 7:25 PM
voted no for both of them ven bein in the league but not for the reason giving...reason...they offer sweet fa to the eircom league...shouldnt even be in the first division :eek:

Like Stu (c) has to be my answer but (b) obviously. Why exactly should UCD not even be in the 1st Division when they are proving themselves to be one of the top teams (and quite possibly the best by the end of the season) and have a higher average attendence than Limerick, Monaghan, Kildare, Cobh and Kilkenny (and practically the same as Athlone)? You only have to look at practically every Premier Division club and see former UCD players given a chance to develop and play with the club while being given a good education. UCD are also a club who operate themselves within their financial means. What more would you like them to offer that most of their 1st Division compatriots do to make them more worthy that UCD doesn't? And while they did not do the greatest in the Premier Division they weren't exactly the worst either managing some decent mid-table finishes and even qualifying for Europe where they acquitted themselves respectably only being relegated on the last day last season.

As for Dublin City again why not? For a club who shouldn't be in the 1st Division they did pretty well there last season. And though their attendences are not the greatest they're still better than most 1st Div clubs. Granted the Palmer/Ekoku thing let the league down a little bit but hardly something to deny their right to exist at senior level.

UCD and Dub City between them get an average of 1,000 supporters to eL games every week here in Dublin. So what if there are 4 other clubs in Dublin, do you think these 1,000 and more will flock to the other clubs if you take them away? What two clubs do you have in mind to replace them with while they are relegated without merit who will bring significantly more fans?

Éanna
10/10/2004, 10:03 PM
good points Poor Student. I can certainly accept what you're saying about UCD, in fairness they do bring something to the league, but Dublin City are a joke.

Dr.Nightdub
10/10/2004, 10:55 PM
The head says the UCD fans are dead right in what they say, and it is up to the culchie teams to pass them and CHF out on merit.

But the heart says I'm sick of the number of Dublin derbies and would love to see both of them in the First Division. Not necessarily out of existence, I don't think they can fairly be accused of bringing any less to the League overall than the likes of Monaghan, Kilkenny, etc.

Éanna
10/10/2004, 10:58 PM
culchie
NO RACISM :p :D

Dr.Nightdub
10/10/2004, 11:42 PM
OK then, it's up to the urbanly-challenged teams etc etc

Bald Student
11/10/2004, 10:45 AM
The problem with demoting clubs based on anything other than league position is that the demoted team will just win promotion again. Dublin City won the first division last season and UCD have a good shout at getting promoted this season. Dumping one or both out of the premier is a temporary measure at best. To make it permanent, promotion from the first would have to be abolished which would just be silly.

Éanna
11/10/2004, 11:08 AM
OK then, it's up to the urbanly-challenged teams etc etc
:D :D :D thats better. I presume you're not including Cork, Limerick, Galway in that- they just about qualify as urban areas, even by dublin standards ;)

HarpoJoyce
11/10/2004, 2:57 PM
This arguement only raises its head when the smaller supported clubs are doing worse than the more popular clubs. When U.C.D. were well above one or more of the other Dublin clubs in the Premier Division recently, there wasn't a peep out of anyone. Not in Dublin anyhow.

If other supporters feel strongly against our club, please feel free to ask your own club not to buy our players. It would be unpricipled not too.

Oh yes, I voted (c) 'cos the poll is segregated and should be banned under equality legislation.

Poor Student
11/10/2004, 4:34 PM
By the way, what exactly is the problem with so many Dublin clubs, does anyone have a sense of demographics here? Dublin makes up judging by the last census roughly 28% of the population of the Republic of Ireland and 28% of 22 is, yes you've guessed it, 6 (just over in fact!).

pineapple stu
11/10/2004, 5:12 PM
But the heart says I'm sick of the number of Dublin derbies and would love to see both of them in the First Division.

The way youz are going, you may have a few less Dublin derbies soon enough alright! ;)

sligoman
11/10/2004, 5:16 PM
Well get rid of Dub city neway cos UCD have bin in it for ages.Dub city only around since 2001-they should never of got into the league in the first place, should of let some non-league,non-dub side in instead

sligoman
11/10/2004, 5:18 PM
What about Shams, you have'nt included them in it.Kick them out of both leagues all together they're a total waste of space :D .There's only one Rovers and its in the North West. :p

NY Hoop
14/10/2004, 4:54 PM
What about Shams, you have'nt included them in it.Kick them out of both leagues all together they're a total waste of space :D .There's only one Rovers and its in the North West. :p

Dont know who these shams are. But I can tell you for a fact that nobody and I mean nobody thinks of sligo when I answer their question: Who do you support? Also where do you think you got the name Rovers from? :rolleyes: How's the first division these days? :D

I have no problem with UCD. They are a welcome addition to the league. But dublin city shouldnt be in the league and not only because they are from Dublin. LSL clubs have more fans.......

KOH

sligoman
14/10/2004, 5:21 PM
Dont know who these shams are. But I can tell you for a fact that nobody and I mean nobody thinks of sligo when I answer their question: Who do you support? Also where do you think you got the name Rovers from? :rolleyes: How's the first division these days? :D

First of all,Shams are you gomeys.Second,(which i'd say you meant to say ask but your a Shams fan which I would expect from you :D ) You have proberly never left Dublin so there are'nt many Sligo fans up there(a bit like shams fans),so their would'nt be many who support us in Dub.I bet you if you come to the Showgrounds their will be a lot more fans here than in, I'm sorry where is it ye play again?And thirdly the First division is great,We'll be seeing ye down here soon.

NY Hoop
14/10/2004, 5:39 PM
First of all,Shams are you gomeys.Second,(which i'd say you meant to say ask but your a Shams fan which I would expect from you :D ) You have proberly never left Dublin so there are'nt many Sligo fans up there(a bit like shams fans),so their would'nt be many who support us in Dub.I bet you if you come to the Showgrounds their will be a lot more fans here than in, I'm sorry where is it ye play again?And thirdly the First division is great,We'll be seeing ye down here soon.

Cant even understand your first lines. I have been to the showgrounds countless times and to every other ground as well. You are in dreamland if you think you get more home gates than we do. We support our team through thick and thin. You lot only come when you're winning. Long time ago now with your fly-in-on-the-day imports.

And we wont be playing you soon as you have no hope of getting to the premier. Last time we were there we scored 5 but then you werent probably going then. Also re read my last thread.......

KOH

sligoman
14/10/2004, 5:46 PM
You ****,you re-read mine,I said ye will be down here soon you ****.Oh and you never answered my question-What is the name of yer stadium again? :D

NY Hoop
14/10/2004, 5:52 PM
You ****,you re-read mine,I said ye will be down here soon you ****.Oh and you never answered my question-What is the name of yer stadium again? :D

I'm not getting into this. You're obviously an illiterate. "shams, "gomeys", "ye". Run along kid before you cant see the screen with all your drool on it. Sligo you're having a laugh. Free computer with a bag of mastitis was it?!! What a muppet.........

KOH

sligoman
14/10/2004, 5:54 PM
Ok then Shamrock Rovers but do you want to answer my question or are you going to keep changing the subject? :D