PDA

View Full Version : Final series of First Division games.

Pages : [1] 2 3

nigel-harps1954
09/08/2013, 11:54 PM
Absolutely all to play for in the First Division.

Huge game next week in Finn Park between Harps and Waterford. A win for Harps puts us right back in the hunt.

8 points might be a bit out of reach for Harps to make up in 7 games, but stranger things have happened.

2 points separate the top three in the Division however with Athlone and Longford to play tomorrow night in the final game of the third series of fixtures.

Actually nervous at the thought of still being in with a chance of play-offs while Longford continue to falter, Harps start to pick up the pace late on, Waterford rejuvenated and Athlone pushing on further until they go out of sight. Mervue aren't out of it either by any means even though they're form is dipping too dramatically.

trevy
17/08/2013, 8:31 AM
It looks cut and dried now. Athlone showing title winning form with the last 2 wins. It looks Longford v Waterford in the play offs for 2nd year in a row.

outspoken
19/08/2013, 11:00 AM
Disagree Trevy. Athlone were extremely lucky to beat mervue united and skinner has been playing a huge role in their luck of late and he's now suspended. We beat you at the RSC and Atlone lose a game and its all to play for going into that last game. Ye beat us and its a 2 horse race with Athlone huge favourites.

nigel-harps1954
19/08/2013, 12:52 PM
Longford are pretty much out of it if you ask me. Waterford will walk all over them in the play-off.

Town Legend
19/08/2013, 1:03 PM
Our next game in Waterford will be the decider whether we'll still be competing for a title or not. We finally have no suspensions (fingers crossed) and only missing Sammon and Nkolo to injury. Hope back playing centre back is a massive boost to us. Whereas Athlone will be missing Skinner for at the very least 2 games and also Collins is suspended. Hopefully it's Athlones turn to fall victim to suspensions and injuries. We play Athlone last game of season and if we can get a result out of Waterford then it could be a title decider over in Athlone.

atfconline
19/08/2013, 1:30 PM
We've already been without Collins for basically the last two games and done alright. Have to wait and see what Skinner gets, at least the first game will be at home to Wexford.

gormacha
19/08/2013, 1:49 PM
We play Athlone last game of season and if we can get a result out of Waterford then it could be a title decider over in Athlone.

You might beat us in the RSC. There's only a fag paper between the top few teams after all. But your form does not suggest a concerted run at at the title. i think ye've one win in six? Whereas Athlone are unbeaten in ten, and Waterford have had one defeat in eleven. The form book suggests Athlone as champs, with a Waterford v Longford playoff.

Town Legend
19/08/2013, 2:36 PM
If a straight red he'll get 2 games as that is what our players got. But if he's done for striking a player which is what I heard he could get another one game added on.

bluewhitearmy
19/08/2013, 2:57 PM
Disagree Trevy. Athlone were extremely lucky to beat mervue united and skinner has been playing a huge role in their luck of late and he's now suspended. We beat you at the RSC and Atlone lose a game and its all to play for going into that last game. Ye beat us and its a 2 horse race with Athlone huge favourites.

Not really luck if its their keeper making saves is it?

Briuk
19/08/2013, 3:10 PM
Isn't Sexton the reserve keeper? He's not so bad..

Strongbow10
19/08/2013, 5:50 PM

you overestimate Longford in fairness there. Your form suggests you are certainly not title challengers.

A good keeper making saves is not a sign of luck, its a sign of having a good keeper. Sexton our number 2 is also a good keeper.

How do you make Athlone "huge" favourites if Waterford beat ye? If Longford beat Waterford surely we are still "huge" favourites too? Given the fact Longford and Waterford are level as it stands?

All joking aside, Waterford are the team to fear. On a roll, and made some excellent signings this window too. Personally I hope ye beat them or at least take a point as I'd be so much more worried about Waterford than Longford.

bluemovie
24/08/2013, 2:56 PM
I still think there's so little between all the teams in the division (due to the appalling standard this year) that plenty of points will be dropped by all the challengers. A lot of people would say that ourselves and Longford would each need to win our last six games to have a chance, but I think there could be a few more surprises along the way. We clearly HAVE to beat Athlone away at the end of September, which notionally brings us within two points of them, and we'll more than likely be hoping for Longford to win el classico on the final day, but Athlone could drop points in Cobh or at Harps too. So we mightn't necessarily have to win our last six games. Five might do so long as one of the wins is in Lissywoollen.

ATFC-1887
24/08/2013, 3:42 PM

What you just said makes no sense at all haha

Id fear Waterford alot more than Longford. As has been said, Longfords form is terrible and beating Salthill 4-0 at home doesnt change much. Alot of ifs here but if Longford and Waterford draw next week and we beat Wexford, Cobh and Salthill we can win the league at home to Waterford. Outspoker how do you know we were lucky against Mervue haha Just because we had 2 sent off doesnt mean we were lucky. Yes they missed 2 penalties but we played bery well for a team with 9 men and could of scored more than 4. Winning them sort of games is the type of form that wins you leagues.

atfconline
24/08/2013, 3:48 PM
To be more precise, we saved one peno, with a great follow up save from Skinner. They missed one peno but that's what you get for giving it to Barry O'Mahoney. :)

gufc2000
20/09/2013, 11:32 PM
Athlone and the Rod Squad are within touching distance of promotion after tonight's result. They should be in line for two nice home gates now with the Waterford and Longford games coming up.

ATFC-1887
20/09/2013, 11:40 PM
Yeh its great. Never thought id see the day :) Expecting at least 1600 at the Waterford game. Hope we wrap it up then. If Cobh do us a favour tomorrow, we win it with a draw next week. Not the best performance from us tonight but a win is a win. Great crowd up too. Both sides of pitch were Athlone fans. Didnt seem to be much from Salthill at all.

atfconline
21/09/2013, 7:06 PM
Longford and Cobh at it again - 5 goals before the half hour mark!

Longfordian
21/09/2013, 7:15 PM
Value for money in Longford-Cobh games alright. 4-3, 5-1, 4-3 and now 3-2 so far in the first half

4-2 Town now, 60 mins in.

ATFC-1887
21/09/2013, 7:53 PM
5-2 now

Longfordian
21/09/2013, 7:55 PM
So that's a minimum of six goals in each Longford-Cobh fixture this season. That's mental.

Longfordian
21/09/2013, 8:08 PM
7-2 now!

bluemovie
22/09/2013, 9:54 AM
Value for money in Longford-Cobh games alright. 4-3, 5-1, 4-3 and now 3-2 so far in the first half

4-2 Town now, 60 mins in.

So that's 29 goals in four meetings. Unbelievable. With excitement like that, that's definitely an incentive for Longford to stay down for another season or two!

outspoken
22/09/2013, 10:05 AM
So that's 29 goals in four meetings. Unbelievable. With excitement like that, that's definitely an incentive for Longford to stay down for another season or two!

Great to see Longford and blues hammering in the goals ahead of the playoffs. I honestly think whoever finishes 2nd will win the FD play-off but can't see either of us beating a premier side over 2 legs.

bluemovie
22/09/2013, 10:09 AM
Yep, I agree. No doubt if we got to the final play-off, I'd convince myself we were going to win and set myself up for another heartbreak, but as it stands, I think Shels, Bray or Bohs would beat us.

Plus don't rule Mervue out. If they were to beat ye next week, they'd probably finish top three.

outspoken
22/09/2013, 11:59 AM
Yep, I agree. No doubt if we got to the final play-off, I'd convince myself we were going to win and set myself up for another heartbreak, but as it stands, I think Shels, Bray or Bohs would beat us.

Plus don't rule Mervue out. If they were to beat ye next week, they'd probably finish top three.

Don't worry I haven't ruled mervue out all season, superb footballing side.

ATFC-1887
22/09/2013, 12:08 PM
In normal circumstances i would love to see Mervue get playoffs, but the fact that they are most likely pulling out of the league, i would rather a Waterford vs Longford playoff.

outspoken
22/09/2013, 6:15 PM
In normal circumstances i would love to see Mervue get playoffs, but the fact that they are most likely pulling out of the league, i would rather a Waterford vs Longford playoff.

Sorry to go off topic but any idea what the attendance was for Fridays game ATFC? Heard it was very impressive.

ATFC-1887
22/09/2013, 8:21 PM
Sorry to go off topic but any idea what the attendance was for Fridays game ATFC? Heard it was very impressive.

In my opinion id say at least 300 from Athlone. Very little Salthill fans. Maybe 10-20.

peterc1992
23/09/2013, 11:13 AM

I know Salthill get bad attendances but was hat really an impressive crowd?

Was a good few down from Athlone. I'm bad a guesses but i must be very dead down there other nights.

ATFC-1887
23/09/2013, 11:25 AM
I know Salthill get bad attendances but was hat really an impressive crowd?

Was a good few down from Athlone. I'm bad a guesses but i must be very dead down there other nights.

Sure the attendance vs Wexford i think was 23 haha

nigel-harps1954
23/09/2013, 1:21 PM
I certainly hope Athlone bring up a couple of hundred to Finn park. Genuinely fear for harps if we keep falling as bad as we are. Never seen a more shocking second half of a season ever.

ATFC-1887
23/09/2013, 1:42 PM
I certainly hope Athlone bring up a couple of hundred to Finn park. Genuinely fear for harps if we keep falling as bad as we are. Never seen a more shocking second half of a season ever.

We should have a big crowd up Nigel. If we wrap it up this week it wont be as big in harps but will still have a good crowd.
The fact that its on a friday is a killer too. If it was saturday our crowd up would probably double

Strongbow10
23/09/2013, 2:06 PM
We should have a big crowd up Nigel. If we wrap it up this week it wont be as big in harps but will still have a good crowd.
The fact that its on a friday is a killer too. If it was saturday our crowd up would probably double

will we hit 2000 this weekend against Waterford?

It should be a cracker of a game

ATFC-1887
23/09/2013, 2:18 PM

Id be happy with 1500 but the whole town is talking about this game so i cant see why we cant hit 2000

Partizan
25/09/2013, 10:21 PM
Lads, just to let ye all know that the Athlone T v Waterford game is live and exclusive on Radio DBSC this Friday 27th. We are on air at 7.40pm with K.O. at 7.45. Tune in for live football action.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/radio-dbsc

Battery Rover
27/09/2013, 10:22 AM

We should hit the 2000 easily. The whole town is buzzing with everyone talkng about it. Record crowd for "The Woollen" is 2000 for the opening game in 2007.

ATFC-1887
27/09/2013, 10:46 AM
Come on the Town. Been waiting for this day for so many years haha

Battery Rover
27/09/2013, 11:30 AM
We should hit the 2000 easily. The whole town is buzzing with everyone talking about it. Record crowd for "The Woollen" is 2000 for the opening game in 2007.

We have also had 69 companies come on board as match sponsors for tonight game with as many ready for the final game vs Longford own

peterc1992
27/09/2013, 3:14 PM
We have also had 69 companies come on board as match sponsors for tonight game with as many ready for the final game vs Longford own

That's great to hear.

bluewhitearmy
27/09/2013, 3:34 PM
Best of luck to Athlone tonight really hope they win it.

Mr A
27/09/2013, 7:09 PM
Athlone 1 up on Waterford.. one foot in the premier now.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2013, 7:16 PM
Athlone lead and Longford are behind, meaning it'll take a big turnaround to deny Athlone the title tonight. Almost as surprisingly, the Shamrock Rovers game is once again the only game in Ireland that remains scoreless.

Mr A
27/09/2013, 8:34 PM
Congrats to Athlone- First Division Champions.

abcd
27/09/2013, 8:48 PM
Congrats to Athlone Town. It hasn't been the best 1st Division ever but they've won it convincingly and deserve their spot in the Premier Division next season. Roddy has done a fine job in just a season there. The race for the play off spot looks interesting. Athlone could add be in a position to add to Longford's woes by keeping them out of the play off on the final day.

oriel
27/09/2013, 9:23 PM
Well done to Athlone, already passed on congrats on the weekly thread, but great to see, super crowd of over 2k too, very strong support as would imagine 90% + were home fans.

gormacha
27/09/2013, 9:33 PM
Congrats to Athlone. Best team always wins the league.

Mervue looking good for a playoff spot with a home game against Cobh and then away to Youths. Any slip up by Waterford or Longford (which there will be) and they could well be in.

legendz
27/09/2013, 9:37 PM
Congrats to Athlone Town on their first division title and promotion to the premier!

Jofspring
27/09/2013, 9:41 PM
Congrats Athlone. Nice trip to look forward to again next season.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2013, 9:46 PM
Nice one Athlone. My Roddy cravings will once again be sated.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
27/09/2013, 9:57 PM
Congrats to Athlone. Been out of the top flight far too long.