PDA

View Full Version : MNS tonight

Pages : [1] 2

gael353
05/08/2013, 7:40 PM
No analysis of the Limerick Cork game (the only game where analysis was not done) No repeat of goals, and the Pat Dolan usual snide remark about "Limerick spending the money" thrown in as the only comment in relation to the Limerick Cork game.

Jofspring
05/08/2013, 7:47 PM
No analysis of the Limerick Cork game (the only game where analysis was not done) No repeat of goals, and the Pat Dolan usual snide remark about "Limerick spending the money" thrown in as the only comment in relation to the Limerick Cork game.

Ah pats been at that all this season without realising nearly our whole bench is under 19's and a few starters too. Wouldn't take much notice of what he says.

Charlie Darwin
05/08/2013, 7:51 PM
Is splashing the cash and playing in big stadiums not what Pat's always banging on about? As soon as a club arrives that actually does those things (arguably) and he gets in a huff anyway. Maybe he's annoyed at them for not spending money on any of his players.

Ezeikial
05/08/2013, 8:03 PM
It very hard to take seriously someone who talks in soundbites

jinxy lilywhite
05/08/2013, 8:06 PM
Funny how mns were giving out about the pitch as a factor of why Dundalk are doing so well when we have the best away record in the League!

NeverFeltBetter
05/08/2013, 8:10 PM

Yeah, we're a regular Man City down in mid-table.

White Horse
05/08/2013, 8:23 PM
Funny how mns were giving out about the pitch as a factor of why Dundalk are doing so well when we have the best away record in the League!

You could see Peter Collins wincing.

It's just lazy pundits, Kerr doesn't know the players. No idea who Hoban, Boyle, Towell, Byrne etc are. So he wings it and talks about the plastic pitch. When asked about whether Dundalk are serious challengers, he talks about Jim McLaughlin. Jim is a legend, but he was the manager nearly 40 years ago when I started going to games! What relevance is it to this season?

redobit
05/08/2013, 9:30 PM
Agree with White horse about the lazy pundits. Its the same with a lot of them, they go on MNS and bang out the same cliches without knowing the full background to what they are talikng about. CAse in point was fat Pat last week having a go at our LOI stadiums while comapring it to a small town like Molde who have a state of the art new staidum. He failed to mention that Molde are bankrolled by a Billionaire oil tychoon who spent 25 odd million on a stadium, pays big wages and lets them use his private jey anytime they want.

Acornvilla
06/08/2013, 12:48 AM
Yeah, we're a regular Man City down in mid-table.
Well give it 2 more seasons just like city did, they were crap under Sven and Hughes but had the money back then too. Chances are Lims will be there or there abouts challenging for Europe next season.

Charlie Darwin
06/08/2013, 12:54 AM
Well give it 2 more seasons just like city did, they were crap under Sven and Hughes but had the money back then too. Chances are Lims will be there or there abouts challenging for Europe next season.
Jaysus, sure even City haven't got beyond the group stages in Europe. Big plans by Pat O'Sullivan if he's looking to challenge for European honours within two years. The question is can he bring home the Champions League when Longford Town are splashing the cash on all the big players?

Acornvilla
06/08/2013, 2:26 AM
For not in :P

oriel
06/08/2013, 9:16 AM
You could see Peter Collins wincing.

It's just lazy pundits, Kerr doesn't know the players. No idea who Hoban, Boyle, Towell, Byrne etc are. So he wings it and talks about the plastic pitch. When asked about whether Dundalk are serious challengers, he talks about Jim McLaughlin. Jim is a legend, but he was the manager nearly 40 years ago when I started going to games! What relevance is it to this season?

He mentioned the passion is back and was giving examples of previous great teams, I thought it was ok. He said we were serious title challengers btw.

As for the pitch, sooner is goes the better.

White Horse
06/08/2013, 10:18 AM
2 camera angles at Oriel Park? All the controversial incidents captured, McGuinness headbutt on Towell, Croly's push on Perth.

Is it MNS?

No it is the Dundalk FanCam.

http://youtu.be/4J-7pZ27T5w

fieldofmarkets
06/08/2013, 8:29 PM
No analysis of the Limerick Cork game (the only game where analysis was not done) No repeat of goals, and the usual snide remark about "Limerick spending the money" thrown in as the only comment in relation to the Limerick Cork game.

If he is an agent I suppose it might be prudent to talk up spending in the league in general.

gael353
19/08/2013, 6:19 PM
If he is an agent I suppose it might be prudent to talk up spending in the league in general.
True but hes not speaking of the league hes only mentioning limerick. Hes on again just now we shall wait and see does he mention us spending the money again. He himself was booted from limerick btw

gael353
19/08/2013, 7:23 PM
True but hes not speaking of the league hes only mentioning limerick. Hes on again just now we shall wait and see does he mention us spending the money again. He himself was booted from limerick btw

And there u have it. Proof that rte are reading foot.ie.
Liam coyle being asked to repeat comments about limerick spending money to try and disassociate p dolan from previous comments by him. Id keep an eye on your post box pat

da bishop
19/08/2013, 7:30 PM
True but hes not speaking of the league hes only mentioning limerick. Hes on again just now we shall wait and see does he mention us spending the money again. He himself was booted from limerick btwlooks like you will have to change the point of attack gael as the legend from derry mentioned the dreaded spend tonight.

NeverFeltBetter
19/08/2013, 7:52 PM
I guess "Mega rich club is failing!" is just a better story when discussing Limerick than an actual appraisal based on the teams actual resources.

Jofspring
19/08/2013, 8:53 PM
The mega rich and big spenders Limerick who put out a team on Friday and in most games that is as follows.

Malky Thomoson: Shane Costelloe was the youngest to line out in Friday’s home game against UCD, but the 18-year-old was joined in defence by Stephen Folan (21) and Patrick Nzuzi (20), in a back four that had an average age of just 20.75 years.

Also on the pitch were the likes of 21-year-old David O’Leary and the quartet of Shaun Kelly, Danny Galbraith, Axel Bossekota and Craig Curran who are all 24 or under.

The average age of the seven-man bench was just over 19, with 17-year-olds Tony Whitehead and Colm Murphy included among the substitutes and Rory Gaffney (23) and Darragh Rainsford (18) coming on in the second half.

Barr a few big earners I would love to know where Pat and anyone else for that matter thinks all the big money is going this season.

White Horse
19/08/2013, 8:54 PM
Where has Stuey Byrne gone?

holidaysong
19/08/2013, 9:44 PM
Thought Darragh Maloney did a good job this evening on his debut.

gael353
20/08/2013, 8:25 AM
looks like you will have to change the point of attack gael as the legend from derry mentioned the dreaded spend tonight.

hmm no bish, that was a deliberate ploy by Dolan and the MNS team to deflect from what Dolan was saying since the start of the season. Asking Liam Coyle to answer questions about Limerick? Liam then talking about "rumours of the money they are spending down there" is just saying exactly what you have typed. That there is more then Pat Dolan talking about limericks finances.

Duffman
20/08/2013, 8:26 AM
Wondered that myself. I suppose punditry is a whole different animal in the end of August/September compared to the summertime.

wonder88
20/08/2013, 12:15 PM
I think Maloney did a good job as well. Big support from Dolan for Crolly to keep the job at Rovers and he has a point I suppose when you consider that they sacked S Kenny early enough last year. However one difference I would suggest is that the squad crolly has is his own, while it was clear that Kenny took charge of a number of players who simply did not want to play for him. Also while it is not nice to see anyone loose their job, Crolly seems to be interested in only signing players of a certain type; journeymen who have been around the clubs like Quigley, S O Connor McGuinness etc and all dublin based. Not one young player is getting a look in at Shamrock R and someone like Pat Hoban would never be signed by Crolly.

d rovers
20/08/2013, 12:32 PM

i would imagine Stuey is in an underground bunker somewhere going through his routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpEXip5X1U

Would love to see Stuey on the last MNS of the season discussing what a great job Stephen Kenny has done!

Ezeikial
20/08/2013, 2:37 PM
Also while it is not nice to see anyone loose their job, Crolly seems to be interested in only signing players of a certain type; journeymen who have been around the clubs like Quigley, S O Connor McGuinness etc and all dublin based.

If your definition of "journeymen" is players who have had several clubs, with one year contracts the norm you will struggle to find many experienced players in the league who do not fit that description.
If your use of the term implies players of limited ability, then none of the above fall into that category. Some or all of them might be highly strung headcases, but all good players!

Whatever the problems with Rovers and Croly, it is certainly not a lack of available quality

Not one young player is getting a look in at Shamrock R and someone like Pat Hoban would never be signed by Crolly.

Pat Hoban did not exactly set the first division alight with Mervue last season. With Sheppard, Quigley, Stewart, Kilduff (and now Zayed) even if had the vision to spot his potential it would be a strange signing in pre-season. Hot property now alright after careful nurturing by Stephen Kenny

Ezeikial
20/08/2013, 2:40 PM
i would imagine Stuey is in an underground bunker somewhere going through his routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpEXip5X1U

Would love to see Stuey on the last MNS of the season discussing what a great job Stephen Kenny has done!

Why was he so pi$$ed with Kenny?

adamd164
20/08/2013, 10:28 PM
Still very amateur mistakes throughout the show. Your one commenting on the highlights of our game said that Bray's "Water" (presume she meant Kieran Marty Waters?) crossed in for Ishmael "Adikande" to head home... how she got that pronunciation out of Akinade is anyone's guess. She then called him "Akinkande" about 20 seconds later!

Pablo Escobar
22/08/2013, 9:26 AM
I think the first one was "Anikande" but your point stands, how much time and effort is put in?

redobit
22/08/2013, 10:49 AM
Not usually in to having a go at other teams pitches, cause at the end of the day Clubs do what they have to do. But after seeing the Oriel pitch last weekend I can see why Kerr was banging on about it on MNS last week - its fecking horrible.

Have to say too, poor form from Dundalk ... at half time to drench the half of the pitch that Dundalk were shooting into, and not a drop of water on the other half of the pitch.

dundalkfc10
22/08/2013, 11:04 AM
Not usually in to having a go at other teams pitches, cause at the end of the day Clubs do what they have to do. But after seeing the Oriel pitch last weekend I can see why Kerr was banging on about it on MNS last week - its fecking horrible.

Have to say too, poor form from Dundalk ... at half time to drench the half of the pitch that Dundalk were shooting into, and not a drop of water on the other half of the pitch.

The "ONLY" yes "ONLY" pitch in the LOI to be fully approved by Uefa!!!!!!!!

I play on that pitch twice a week, 1 non-competitive 1 competitive and compared to every other pitch in Dundalk and all MDL pitches, its far the best.

Cant comment on the watering of the pitch remark as I was having a pint of Harp at half time

redobit
22/08/2013, 11:20 AM
Approved or not, still played poor imo (and looks like someone threw the remains of a tyre fire on it). In fainress Im not really having a go, as I said Clubs do what they have to it.

I like to spend my half-times having a pint too, no away fans allowed in the bar tho.

White Horse
22/08/2013, 11:27 AM

Not to mention, choosing to play with the sun on their backs in the first half.

Just not cricket ;)

redobit
22/08/2013, 11:29 AM
Well its obviously why we played so bad in the 2nd half white horse, obviously ...

White Horse
22/08/2013, 11:45 AM
Well its obviously why we played so bad in the 2nd half white horse, obviously ...

It was a strange thing to do. I can understand watering the centre of the pitch, but watering the right hand side of last third?

Perhaps it had something to do with it being the only empty space as there were two sets of subs warming up and a kids game going on.

But why water such a small area? It looked very strange.

redobit
22/08/2013, 12:00 PM
It was a strange thing to do. I can understand watering the centre of the pitch, but watering the right hand side of last third?

Perhaps it had something to do with it being the only empty space as there were two sets of subs warming up and a kids game going on.

But why water such a small area? It looked very strange.

He watered the whole half. I asked when he was going to water the other half of the pitch, he just smiled. So obviously I told him to fcuk off, obviously.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/08/2013, 12:05 PM
He watered the whole half. I asked when he was going to water the other half of the pitch, he just smiled. So obviously I told him to fcuk off, obviously.

You're lucky he didn't spray you with water

Spudulika
22/08/2013, 12:07 PM

Can we take it then, redobit, that you don't want to have anything to do with artificial pitches?

outspoken
22/08/2013, 12:32 PM
I always thought you had to get clearance to water the pitch at half time? I remember it being a debate during some champions league or premier league game last season.

Sean South
22/08/2013, 12:35 PM
Artificial pitches should be banned!!!!

Macy
22/08/2013, 1:10 PM
He's on Off The Ball a fair bit now, both their LoI stuff and also the (anything but LoI) Football Show.

mcgonigle
22/08/2013, 1:20 PM
Approved or not, still played poor imo (and looks like someone threw the remains of a tyre fire on it). In fainress Im not really having a go, as I said Clubs do what they have to it.

I like to spend my half-times having a pint too, no away fans allowed in the bar tho.

I read this all the time about the pitch and I just don't see it myself. I go to Oriel every 2nd week or so and then to every other league ground in between and I don't see how Oriel "plays poorly" to any of the grass surfaces. I don't remember one incident in the Sligo game that could be attributed to the pitch or any other game in Oriel this season for that matter.

At the start of the season some of the grass pitches in the league were a disgrace and shouldn't have been allowed to host games. They are improving now but there are still plenty in the league with permanent slopes and bumps but are not mentioned nearly as much as Oriel.

I should point out that I'm neither for or against the pitch, it doesn't bother me and it's no advantage.

Anyway my original point is that I just don't see what people are giving out about, it's flat how can you not play football on it?

nigel-harps1954
22/08/2013, 1:27 PM
At the start of the season some of the grass pitches in the league were a disgrace and shouldn't have been allowed to host games. They are improving now but there are still plenty in the league with permanent slopes and bumps but are not mentioned nearly as much as Oriel.

Would be my major argument against summer football. Pitches are awful for half the season. Oriel has a massive advantage in this respect.

mcgonigle
22/08/2013, 2:32 PM
Would be my major argument against summer football. Pitches are awful for half the season. Oriel has a massive advantage in this respect.

I don't agree, in a simplistic view you are getting drier weather in the summer. It's a lot easier to water a pitch than to keep rain (that you would expect more of in winter) off it . Or am I missing your point?

Also I should add, does that not make Oriel a good pitch? While some grass pitches are dry and bumpy at the beginning of the season, Oriel is consistently flat and level?

avvenalaf
22/08/2013, 2:53 PM
The only thing wrong with the pitch in Oriel is that they appear to only have a water tap at one end:p

nigel-harps1954
23/08/2013, 2:02 PM
I don't agree, in a simplistic view you are getting drier weather in the summer. It's a lot easier to water a pitch than to keep rain (that you would expect more of in winter) off it . Or am I missing your point?

Also I should add, does that not make Oriel a good pitch? While some grass pitches are dry and bumpy at the beginning of the season, Oriel is consistently flat and level?

You've sort of answered your own question.

Pitches get no growing time over winter, so they're never ready for the start of the season.

In a winter season, there's a whole summer to prepare the pitch for both the start of the season and for the harsh winter ahead.

wonder88
23/08/2013, 6:31 PM
The pitch at Mervue looked good last friday, and it must also be said that the surface at Salthill Devon is usually in good condition as well. Thats why I am against throwing them two clubs out of the league; I just want a place for a team that the supporters of the former Galway Rovers/Uuited can call their own.

galwayhoop
23/08/2013, 6:43 PM
At the start of the season some of the grass pitches in the league were a disgrace and shouldn't have been allowed to host games. They are improving now
you do remember that there was virtually no spring this year? The news being awash with stories of farmers buying feed for animals due to their being no grass growth? where oil companies ran out of heating oil in March? Any of that ring a bell???

TonyD
23/08/2013, 7:46 PM

You must not remember the "winter" seasons then. Pitches were basically awful muck heaps from December to April. I think they're much better now. And as mentioned, it's much easier to water a dry pitch (unless you're Shels obviously:p) then try to rectify a waterlogged one, or a frozen one.

GCdfc
23/08/2013, 9:38 PM
redobit you sound a bit bitter. Have you played on the pitch in Oriel to judge it? As for watering it on one end. Wasn't the end Manchester Utd pleyed into in the second half watered during Alex Fergusons reign? Sure Sligo could do it too. It makes the pitch faster when watered (on a dryish surface already). Although with Sligo, I don't think the players would be fit enough to take advantage of a faster pitch.