PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers....is this the end

harry crumb
06/10/2004, 7:06 PM
What is happening at Shamrock Rovers at the moment. How can the club be getting into such trouble?

I was in the Cork City Library today and was reading a book about European football. In the Irish section, Rovers are noted to be the biggest club in the league. They give a history of the club and end on a postive note saying that "the club will be in their new ground if not the end of this season, then definately the following one"

Where have we heard that one before? The funny thing is that the book was printed in 1998. 6+ years later and Rovers are still not a settled club. Who is responsible?

Éanna
06/10/2004, 7:11 PM
In spite of all thats said about rovers fans, you have to give them credit for sticking by their club through all that. Its unreal the way they've been treated by those who claim they have the clubs interests at heart. Hope they sort themselves out

kevincronin2000
06/10/2004, 7:15 PM
Saw this posted somewhere recently.

" who would have thought the luas would be in Tallagh before Rovers"

Could'nt help but have a giggle

harry crumb
06/10/2004, 9:59 PM
The Rovers fans still have a sense of humour about the thing on their message board.

It was suggested that Maureen O'Hara should open the stadium when they move into Tallaght, seeing as she has revealed that she was a hardcore fan back in the Milltown days on the Late Late Show.

A Rovers fan then came on saying that Maureen O'Hara will be aged 150 by the time that happens.

Funny

A face
07/10/2004, 12:23 AM
In spite of all thats said about rovers fans, you have to give them credit for sticking by their club through all that.

Fair play ..... If every club have their fans loyality then we'd be a good situation, just the loyality mind ..... everything else they can keep :D

Its unreal the way they've been treated by those who claim they have the clubs interests at heart. Hope they sort themselves out

I dunno .... it is hard to say ... from the outside looking in, of course is always hard. The structures have to be in place for any club to survive these days, if they're not ... then it will tell over time, Rovers have been through the ringing i dont know how many times and are still with us but it might be catching up with them.

Dont care what you say .... it'll be a poorer league if they were to go, and i wont listen to any argument on that. I think there would be a void in the league and you couldn't replace it for love nor money.

I do think that if they do weather this one, they will have to sort their camp out or it will be back to visit them sooner than they think. Again ... with structures in place, it will sort it out, or at least it is the only way to go.

drinkfeckarse
07/10/2004, 9:01 AM
Dont care what you say .... it'll be a poorer league if they were to go, and i wont listen to any argument on that. I think there would be a void in the league and you couldn't replace it for love nor money.

Spot on, a club rich in history and tradition. It would be a massive loss should anything happen to them.
Plus my Grandfather was born and bred in Ringsend and was a massive Rovers fan ;) ....I can remember years ago Dermot Keely calling into his house in Cobh to see how he was before a match with the Ramblers.Nice touch. :cool:

Jim Smith
07/10/2004, 9:35 AM
I somehow doubt that you'd hear any arguments on that...

Passive
07/10/2004, 9:51 AM
The players have had enough, the fans have had enough. There are going to be changes at Shamrock Rovers. We can do it the easy way or the hard way - the choice is theirs.

CuanaD
08/10/2004, 9:14 AM
The players have had enough, the fans have had enough. There are going to be changes at Shamrock Rovers. We can do it the easy way or the hard way - the choice is theirs.

Changes would be good - as long as its not the END - be carefull. As you can see, while we all slag off rovers, fact is we all know that the league needs them - the biggest single part of our history

Bald Student
08/10/2004, 12:20 PM
This is definatley not the end of Shamrock Rovers. They own a large asset in Tallaght which is worth significantly more than their debts. The club is solvent so there is no chance of them going out of business. The worst thing that could happen to them is that they could be forced to sell some land.

In my opinion the club should enter a commercial deal by selling a long term (say 20 year) lease on some of their land to a shop or restaurant to get some cash to finish the stadium.

niamh
08/10/2004, 12:24 PM
I hope not. The league needs every team in it...just could do with losing some of the bad behaviour of a small minority of several clubs fans.

patsh
08/10/2004, 1:01 PM
I'd hate to see them go out of the league.

We always get a good gate when they come to town, the games are normally exciting and most of their fans are a fairly loyal bunch who can give and take the banter and slagging.

sligoman
11/10/2004, 5:25 PM
Ya this is the end :p .I would love to see ye in First Division,tis great craic down here :D

eoinh
11/10/2004, 5:30 PM
Its really funny that no investor has stepped in. Surely the exploits of Shels and City have opened some peoples eyes to what can be achieved with (in football terms europe wide) relatively little investment.

NY Hoop
14/10/2004, 5:30 PM
This is definatley not the end of Shamrock Rovers. They own a large asset in Tallaght which is worth significantly more than their debts. The club is solvent so there is no chance of them going out of business. The worst thing that could happen to them is that they could be forced to sell some land.

In my opinion the club should enter a commercial deal by selling a long term (say 20 year) lease on some of their land to a shop or restaurant to get some cash to finish the stadium.

Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. Are you tony maguire?!!! Marvellous fiction.

If I won the lotto tomorrow I would not invest a cent in the club. It is an absolute mess of companies, shelf companies, shareholdings, intertwined interests, pension funds. Go to www.cro.ie and type in Shamrock Rovers.

Your lotto win would be swallowed in legal fees, builders fines etc. Just like that that poor sap in cobh who invested his lotto win in a restaurant. Now he's broke!!

If I've said it once I've said it twice but none of the whales of this country like McManus, O'Reilly and company are going to invest in a league that has clubs in a constant mess. They are businessmen and will only invest if there is a return. Sentiment and nostalgia are words they do not understand.

I would loved to be proved wrong if some russian chancer came here and bought Tallaght and the club and put us back to the top where we belong.

All Rovers fans have this dream in the Horse and Jockey around midnight after a game!! :D

KOH

Bald Student
14/10/2004, 5:57 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. I didn't mean that someone might invest in the Club. I just ment that the Club owns some prime development land opposite the square in Tallaght. There are probably a lot of companies which would be interested in taking some of it off your hands through a lease which they could build a business on. This could provide an income for the club and might allow it to finish the stadium. I didn't mean that this business would have any other involvement in the club.

P.S. to answer your question, I'm not Tony Maguire.