PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup semis at neutral venues?

paudie
06/10/2004, 12:34 PM
Pat Dolan mentioned during the match on Sunday that he thought the Cup semis should be at neutral venues.

Anybody agree with this?

I don't for a number of reasons. This years semi finalists would be ok to have a semi in Dublin what if a Dublin club is involved?

Say if Cork City were playing Bohs in a semi, which neutral venue would you play it at? Waterford or Longford? Waterford wouldn't be big enough. Longford would be a tight squeeze.

It would probably end up in being played in Tolka, which isn't very neutral.

Anyway I think the crowds for this years semis would have been a lot smaller if they had been in Dublin. Longford people might make a day out of a cup final but I don't think that many would bother for a semi.

its not like in England where you're guaranteed a full house at a Cup semi no matter where you play it.

drinkfeckarse
06/10/2004, 12:41 PM
Personally, I think it goes without saying that semi finals should be played at neutral venues, that way no team can complain of an unfair advantage to the other.
Neutral venue, equal amount of tickets each...job done ;)

ccfcman
06/10/2004, 12:44 PM
I'd leave it as is, as the atmosphere IMO would die off.

Sheridan
06/10/2004, 12:45 PM
I believe the semis were played over two legs for a period in the eighties, as a result of a series of drawn matches and replays which stretched the four semi-final ties in two consecutive years to something crazy like thirteen matches.

paudie
06/10/2004, 12:54 PM
Personally, I think it goes without saying that semi finals should be played at neutral venues, that way no team can complain of an unfair advantage to the other.
Neutral venue, equal amount of tickets each...job done ;)

But in every other round of the Cup one team has an advantage by being at home.

In an ideal world we could have neutral semis but we don't have the crowds or facilities to justify them at the moment IMO.

paudie
06/10/2004, 12:56 PM
I believe the semis were played over two legs for a period in the eighties, as a result of a series of drawn matches and replays which stretched the four semi-final ties in two consecutive years to something crazy like thirteen matches.

Yeah, in 1989 we played Bray over 2 legs. Drew 1-1 on agg and we won the replay at the Cross. I think there was a toss for the replay venue.

That was unsatisfactory as well although thank God it was in at the time cos we lost the first leg at home 1-0.

fosterdollar
06/10/2004, 1:00 PM
home advantage doesnt seem to be having much effect
This year's semi's:
Derry V Waterford ... away win
Longford V Drogheda ... draw
Drogheda V Longford ... away win

Macy
06/10/2004, 1:28 PM
It should be a neutral venue imo. Tolka and Dalyer could've done this year easily. However. If that was the case, it should be fans considerations that decide which games are when - e.g. It would have to have been us v Drogs on the Friday, with the Derry v Waterford the Sunday.

If it was done along with further ground developments (e.g. getting Flancare up to or ideally over 6,000 Capacity) then we'd have options involving, say Derry and Cork last year.

Another option could be a double header in Lansdowne on the Sunday. Any replays could move to another neutral venue as capacity would be less of an issue midweek.

max power
06/10/2004, 1:39 PM
Another option could be a double header in Lansdowne on the Sunday. Any replays could move to another neutral venue as capacity would be less of an issue midweek.

the best option of the lot, make it like the league play offs in england.

dortie
06/10/2004, 1:53 PM
Yep, I firmly believe there should be a neutral venue for the semi's. Ok we got lucky (Un- fecking- lucky) with a home draw this year but prior to that we travelled away to Cork in 2002 and Bohemians in 2001 (and quite a few before that too). The potential for big crowds is there regardless of travel provided its held on a weekend. A Saturday or Sunday is essential for travel arrangements in this country. We dont have the rail or road networks to cater for quick Journeys. I mean its fecking almost 7/8 hours from Derry to Cork, you could travel to America on a trans-atlantic flight quicker !

I think it would be fair to all four teams in a neutral venue....What about a double header in Landsdowne on a Saturday/Sunday ?? (GAA style)

NY Hoop
06/10/2004, 1:56 PM
Na neutral venues is the way it should be but wait until the semi finalists are decided.

Derry and waterford should have met in Longford as it has the facilites and more importantly is equidistant for the 2 clubs.

Drogheda and longford should have met in Derry for the same reason.

The main criteria should be an equal amount to travel and that the games be saturday night and sunday afternoon not this friday night crap.

If the 2 home clubs have league fixtures then play them either the day before or after the semi.

I remember we played derry over 2 legs in 89. What a joke! 3-0 down in the first leg to a team comprised of half of our old one!! Second leg was a waste of time..........

It's unfortunate that the Compromise Rules is the same day and that manure are on the box. Game cant be played monday cos of the marathon so COMMON SENSE says the game should be at 7.45.

But common sense and officialdom dont mix :mad:

KOH

dortie
06/10/2004, 2:09 PM
I remember we played derry over 2 legs in 89. What a joke! 3-0 down in the first leg to a team comprised of half of our old one!! Second leg was a waste of time..........

KOH

Agggh the glorious treble year :D ....Take your oil NY Hoop, they went to a better team. **** happens ;)

NY Hoop
06/10/2004, 2:31 PM
Agggh the glorious treble year :D ....Take your oil NY Hoop, they went to a better team. **** happens ;)

I'm sick of ****ing oil!! Ye were the shels of the time with the best wages going.

Super Noel Larkin..........

KOH

dortie
06/10/2004, 3:17 PM
I'm sick of ****ing oil!! Ye were the shels of the time with the best wages going.

Super Noel Larkin..........

KOH

Aye dont I remember. The last 4 seasons as a Derry Supporter have been hard to swallow apart from the cup win in 2002. Going from the late 80s to this past while has been torture.

Mick Neville, Paul Doolin, Noel Larkin, Liam Coyle (at his prime) Johnny Speak, Tim Dalton, Paul Carlisle, Felix Healy (Dick, but a good footballer).....only a few to call...memories.

manic da hoop
06/10/2004, 3:37 PM
The last 4 seasons as a Derry Supporter have been hard to swallow

You think you've had it bad? Try the last 17 for Rovers!

NY Hoop
06/10/2004, 4:16 PM
Except 94 League win and Altay, Djurgardens, Odra and Liberec :D

KOH

Slash/ED
06/10/2004, 5:26 PM

That's the best idea imo. There'd be no need for replays, I don't see why any game on a neutrul venue should be replayed. The whole point of a replay is surley that the away team have earned home advantage, on a neutrul venue extra time and pens make more sense. I hate things like replayed finals, takes away from the sense of occasion. And I hate two legged ties, cups should be one off.

Something like that would be the only way to get a good crowd, otherwise people wouldn't travel so really, that's the only way to make a neutrul venue work I think.

paudie
06/10/2004, 5:45 PM
Double header at Landsdowne imight be worth a shot.

Not that fair on non Dublin clubs though, who might end up playing Dublin clubs in the semi and the final at a "neutral" venue in Dublin.

kevincronin2000
06/10/2004, 7:17 PM
its not like in England where you're guaranteed a full house at a Cup semi no matter where you play it.

Your not in England anymore with the prices they are charging

TommyT
10/10/2004, 7:23 PM
Maybe an idea would be to mix and match, Longford v Drogheda would be fair in Derry but it would hammer the crowd. For games that have an obvious solution play in a neutral venue, for those that don't (eg Drogheda or Longford against each other or a Dublin, and most culchie derbies) have a GAA style home and away arrangement, ie toss a coin, winner plays at home, if it goes to a replay the decks are clear if not then the loser of the coin toss gets home advantage the next time their drawn together. Still unfair, but less unfair less often.