PDA

View Full Version : Yes!!! Landsdowne Here We Come!!!

Laker
05/10/2004, 9:56 PM
Brilliant, Another cup final.... Can't wait to see dillo's goal on TV.... C'mon de Town

the 12 th man
06/10/2004, 7:26 AM
town dug deep into their reserves last night to post, what at times seemed an unlikely win over drogheda last night.

in an atmosphere that was fitting for a cup semi-final, both sides ripped into each other from the start in what was a full-blooded encounter.

the large town crowd went wild when john martin scored after 32 mins to put longford ahead only for drogheda to peg it back level 5 mins into the second half.

extra time seemed to be heading for the dreadded penalty shoot-out until up popped sean dillon with a finish that any striker "would tell the grand kids about" to curl a dipping shot into the top corner.

as usual there was nothing between the teams on the night and the crowd were rewarded with a thrilling encounter.shame it was'nt on the box as it would have made good viewing for joe public to see the excitement that can be generated at one of our games. :)

Macy
06/10/2004, 7:51 AM
Excitement? Anxious to me (went through about 50 smokes!). Great goal to win it, and the roof support did well for the first ;) . We stuck at it well, and should've sown it up first half. From half time we were hanging on, and never really got motoring. Average performance overall, but who really cares now that we get another day out in Lansdowne. My MOTM is Deano, who at times seemed to be the only one working in the middle, followed by Barry who was excellent at the back covering the rest of them at times.

Going to the home of the second placed team in the league 3 times this season, and winning 3 shouldn't be underestimated. They are full time, and our budget is only a fraction of theirs. So well done Matthews - fúck the begrudgers

Good atmosphere for the most part, it's what it could be like every game if people could be arsed.

Only downside was some of the abuse dished at Foley. Now I'm all for abusing officials, especially tossers like him, but people were starting on him when it was clear that Keegan had been caught offside yet again (dopey untc - he was looking along the line too :rolleyes: ).

an 'rock'
06/10/2004, 8:06 AM
... ryan air may be doing cheap flights!

ColinR
06/10/2004, 8:09 AM
well done lads. i am absolutly shattered after last night, i dont know anything but football that could put you through so many emotions, and make you go back again. first five minutes were better than the whole of sundays match, chances a plenty at each end in the first half. 2nd half was very tense, and i thought ye lot dominated extra time until the goal, but then if only danny had controlled that ball in the last minute..if only.....

anyway congrats, stephan o' brien is a legend for the very gracious way he took time out of celebrating a cup semi win to applaud the opposition supporters. fair play to him.

as for that baker *****, well if was any other country he'd be facing a nice long ban for his actions, but with the fai he'll get away.

again for all your supporters and players(except baker) well done and good luck

fosterdollar
06/10/2004, 8:20 AM
Hardly a dull moment in the game. Dillon's goal was peach. Difficult to tell how far out he was though... was he in/out of the box? Barrett had a poor game and Keegan was giving easy offsides as said above. Dean put in a well determined game and yeah he did look like the only midfielder that realised what was going ona nd what he was supposed to be doing. Wondered why Prunty was taken off. Fatigue?
Anywho, savage game lads. Worth the extra while past my bed time....

Cosmo
06/10/2004, 8:25 AM
Yeah, I agree with Colin there - Stephen O' Brien, a f_-king legend who will always be welcome back in united park. He was the same on sunday, great craic.

As for Baker - have those guards and dogs ready again for the last match of the season

Pauro 76
06/10/2004, 8:37 AM
Well done the Town! Thats brilliant news, coming home for the Final! When is it, really need to know cos need to book some time off! Fcukin brill... :D

StarandCrescent
06/10/2004, 8:49 AM
Well done lads, I'm sick but hey, thats football.

A 50/50 game that either side could have won. Well done to the travelling support, a long trip on a midweek night with work the next day must be a pain.

Hats off to Digger for taking the slagging so well, he'll always get a cheer in United Park in future.

Dessie Baker is pure scum. I didn't see him give the fingers to the crowd after the final whistle, i only turned when i heard the comotion. He continued to gesture until the ref told him to clear off. I could understand if it was Keegan or Spud coz they got loads of abuse but not a word was said to Baker. I hope this isn't the end of this.

Anyway well done again.

max power
06/10/2004, 8:56 AM
Excitement? Anxious to me (went through about 50 smokes!). Great goal to win it, and the roof support did well for the first ;) . We stuck at it well, and should've sown it up first half. From half time we were hanging on, and never really got motoring. Average performance overall, but who really cares now that we get another day out in Lansdowne. My MOTM is Deano, who at times seemed to be the only one working in the middle, followed by Barry who was excellent at the back covering the rest of them at times.

Going to the home of the second placed team in the league 3 times this season, and winning 3 shouldn't be underestimated. They are full time, and our budget is only a fraction of theirs. So well done Matthews - fúck the begrudgers

Good atmosphere for the most part, it's what it could be like every game if people could be arsed.

Only downside was some of the abuse dished at Foley. Now I'm all for abusing officials, especially tossers like him, but people were starting on him when it was clear that Keegan had been caught offside yet again (dopey untc - he was looking along the line too :rolleyes: ).

have to agree with all of the above, roll on the 24th and another day for the sunshine supporters to come out and play.

DruggyDrog
06/10/2004, 8:58 AM
Fair play lads. Great goal to win any game. Good crowd of you as well, plenty of noise.
Good tie overall I thought, between Sunday and last night. think both sets of fans enjoyed themselves.
Pity you have a 'person' like Baker in your squad, apart from us losing his antics were the most disappointing event of the fixture. Ah well, I'm sure he's really sorry!!

Laker
06/10/2004, 9:02 AM
The final is the Sunday the 24th and i've booked the whole week off work. The bookies are finding it hard to call going 5/6 on both town and waterford to lift the cup...

Maz
06/10/2004, 10:07 AM
absolutely brilliant result! roll on cup final!! great town support, great performances and yes i agree more anxious throughout than excited!
some of us just bout made it home safely! Wheel coming off the back of the bus and all that :eek: lucky to be here

oh special well done to barry, deserved man of the match!! ;)

Wiseguy
06/10/2004, 10:31 AM
Cheers for the sporting gestures Drogs fans.Good to see fans so graceful in defeat.Your behaviour & support was a credit to yourselves & your club and i wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season and like us i'm sure your day will come.

max power
06/10/2004, 10:44 AM
the only negative point over the two games was the fai and rte......stewards at the home game cost us, €2,800...where were those donkeys last night ???? they only come out with the rte cameras, both should hang their heads in shame today.

credit is due to the drogs fans, great noise in flancare and at home and nice to see yee having a bit of fun with digger, what a legend he is.

Laker
06/10/2004, 1:22 PM
Just read in the hearld that town won the toss last night for home team in the final. No clash of jerseys but we've won before as the home team and lost as the away team....

Maz
06/10/2004, 1:31 PM
Just read in the hearld that town won the toss last night for home team in the final. No clash of jerseys but we've won before as the home team and lost as the away team....

god they dont hang around do they? does anyone know why we played in away kit at home last sunday? just wondering

max power
06/10/2004, 1:54 PM
according to some of the board member, because we had home advantage drogs got to pick if they wore home or away kit....a bit strange but sure its the fai we are talking about....

btw the final is at 4:45pm on the sunday due to rte showing the comp rules

ConfusedBlue
06/10/2004, 3:50 PM
Since when does a black&red jersey clash with a blue jersey???????????

fosterdollar
06/10/2004, 4:10 PM
The quote says 'no clash of jerseys', no?

the 12 th man
06/10/2004, 7:25 PM
god they dont hang around do they? does anyone know why we played in away kit at home last sunday? just wondering

i think it was to show support for the county in the gaa as its the county colours. :)

Maz
06/10/2004, 7:37 PM
thats a very logical answer alrite! :)

Ruairi
06/10/2004, 7:40 PM
well done lads, now go hammer those deise scum!

Terry Phelan
06/10/2004, 8:04 PM
What age a you confusedblue? You really are a confused child.Am surprised you even realised there'd be no clash with blue and red+black.
We're finally gona get our revenge on that Judas ba###rd alan reynolds.

missfootie
06/10/2004, 8:44 PM
I heard that we wore Blue & Gold on Sunday in respect of the GAA changing the time of the county final..... Dont know if that is true...

Longfordian
06/10/2004, 11:39 PM
No that was bull****e RTE propaganda, sounded good alright but the Town kitman confirmed it was because Drogs had choice of jersey as they'd lost the toss for home venue . As it turned out Drogs didnt actually know that and assumed they had to wear their away strip whereas the Town assumed Drogs would be wearing their home kit, when it was realised by both teams what the other was wearing it was too late to change..a less interesting explanation but a true one..

ColinR
08/10/2004, 7:47 AM
As it turned out Drogs didnt actually know that and assumed they had to wear their away strip whereas the Town assumed Drogs would be wearing their home kit, when it was realised by both teams what the other was wearing it was too late to change..a less interesting explanation but a true one..

well our new sponsors were shown up more with a white kit - so maybe that had something to do with them not knowing ;) ;)