PDA

View Full Version : Two Friendlies Announced

Ruairi
05/10/2004, 5:06 PM
vs Croatia in landsdowne road 16th nov
vs Portugal 5th February

Jon'o
05/10/2004, 5:37 PM
not bad ... where is the portugal game ??

eirebhoy
05/10/2004, 6:17 PM
Very nice. :) Where did you hear this BTW?

Slash/ED
05/10/2004, 6:19 PM
The only problem with playing the bigger sides in friendlys is Kerr tends to treat them as competitive matches and doesn't give youngsters enough of a chance imo. Stephen Elliot should play in both of these games and I hope Kerr isn't too worried about the result to blood him.

eirebhoy
05/10/2004, 6:24 PM
The only problem with playing the bigger sides in friendlys is Kerr tends to treat them as competitive matches and doesn't give youngsters enough of a chance imo.
Thats a good point but I think it was more to do with getting a settled team. I don't think, no matter how much he experimented, he would have a different first choice team. He has gave international debut's to 14 players too. I agree though, he does worry too much about the result as you would have seen by his reaction when we beat Jamaica.

dynamo kerry
05/10/2004, 7:03 PM
does anyone else think we're playing croatia a lot?

I'm kinda sick of the sight of them. Dunno why.

Metrostars
05/10/2004, 7:46 PM
does anyone else think we're playing croatia a lot?

I'm kinda sick of the sight of them. Dunno why.

I was about to say that. Croatia again?

HarpoJoyce
05/10/2004, 8:02 PM
I was about to say that. Croatia again?

Maybe, Croatia are becoming the Balkan Poland, nice Catholic country that would never do harm to anyone else.
Also, no-one from the Catholic hierarchy will pipe up " don't go to the game, there are communists playing". As happened before we played both the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia in the early '70's.

Rep.of Irl ended up playing Poland every year in friendlies for a long time. We needed to prepare against a stereo-typical east European side. As we'd have another East European team in our qualifying group.
Nice slow possession football with one touch on the edge of the opposition box or is that let the oppposition attack and hit them on the break (I don't agree they all played the same way all the time).

Its a sign of how big a Rep. of Irl. supporter is by the amount of Ireland - Poland games the supporter has attended.

I haven't been to any.

At least Croatia are at qualifying standard, well in a competitive game they'd be qualifying standard.

gspain
06/10/2004, 7:20 AM
Maybe, Croatia are becoming the Balkan Poland, nice Catholic country that would never do harm to anyone else.

Also, no-one from the Catholic hierarchy will pipe up " don't go to the game, there are communists playing". As happened before we played both the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia in the early '70's.

Rep.of Irl ended up playing Poland every year in friendlies for a long time. We needed to prepare against a stereo-typical east European side. As we'd have another East European team in our qualifying group.
Nice slow possession football with one touch on the edge of the opposition box or is that let the oppposition attack and hit them on the break (I don't agree they all played the same way all the time).

Its a sign of how big a Rep. of Irl. supporter is by the amount of Ireland - Poland games the supporter has attended.

I haven't been to any.

At least Croatia are at qualifying standard, well in a competitive game they'd be qualifying standard.

>>>>nice Catholic country that would never do harm to anyone else.

No Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the reasons for playing Poland - remember most of these friendlies were away and it was because the Polish were a very hospitable people and made the visting Irish very welcome however I don't think the Catholi church (or indeed any church) approves of such hospitality except for one particular reason and I don't think that was the intention here. :D :D

BTW there is no need to travel to Poland or other East European countries now to experience this hospitality - many of the friendly local women now live in Dublin. The Catholic church still doesn't approve though. ;)

koneinc
06/10/2004, 10:14 AM
BTW there is no need to travel to Poland or other East European countries now to experience this hospitality - many of the friendly local women now live in Dublin. The Catholic church still doesn't approve though. ;)

Brilliant :D :D :D

Lionel Ritchie
06/10/2004, 11:17 AM
>>>>nice Catholic country that would never do harm to anyone else.

No Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the reasons for playing Poland - remember most of these friendlies were away and it was because the Polish were a very hospitable people and made the visting Irish very welcome however I don't think the Catholi church (or indeed any church) approves of such hospitality except for one particular reason and I don't think that was the intention here. :D :D

In the words of Fat Tony "...It's funny because it's true"

Closed Account 2
06/10/2004, 11:49 AM
Looks like both are at home (from FAI site)

Ireland line up Croatia and Portugal friendlies

The Football Association of Ireland today announced details of two attractive home friendly international matches which have been lined up for next month, November 2004, and February 2005.

Croatia will visit Lansdowne Road on 16th November, 2004 and they will be followed on 9th February 2005 by Euro 2004 hosts and beaten finalists, Portugal.

In the latest FIFA Rankings Croatia are listed at number 25 while Portugal, despite losing the Euro Final to Greece, have moved up one place to 11TH spot.

Football Association of Ireland Chief Executive Officer, Fran Rooney said “ The friendlies announced today will provide a good challenge for the team in our preparations for the key World Cup qualifiers next year. In addition the games are also part of our ongoing plans to attract quality opposition to Dublin to entertain the fans as well as generating revenues to re-invest in the game at all levels”.

Both games will Kick Off at 7.30pm

Shame... I'd have fancied going to Lisbon in Feb.