PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008 to be Rescheduled for Ireland and Scotland?

Peadar
04/10/2004, 1:43 PM
Taken from BreakingNews.ie (http://breakingnews.ie/2004/10/04/story169450.html)

UEFA have warned hosts Austria and Switzerland they face losing the right to stage the 2008 European Championships if they fail to solve organisational problems - and it could be rescheduled for Ireland and Scotland.

The European governing body sent a letter to the Austrian and Swiss football associations after the executive committee agreed that “stronger political commitment” was needed from the Austrian and Swiss authorities.

UEFA’s director of communications William Gaillard confirmed action has been demanded by the end of November, and an internal meeting, scheduled for February 2005, will look at the response from the two countries.

Can't see us getting it, to be honest.

stickyjoe
04/10/2004, 1:46 PM
not a hope of us getting it.landsdowne will be getting redeveloped and croke park is still off limits for us and our "foreign" sports

eirebhoy
04/10/2004, 3:34 PM
For some unexplainable reason I don't want us to get it. :confused: When my brain turns back on I'll have a think why.

gspain
04/10/2004, 4:48 PM
We gave up a pool in the rugby world cup - no way in hell we could host it now.

Anyway Hungary and the Nordics got further in the bidding however it will get sorted out and austria/The Swiss will host it in the end. you get these scare stories for every tournament.

Kowalski
04/10/2004, 6:28 PM
you get these scare stories for every tournament.

Thats right, we got it for the Olympics in Athens, dont pay to much attention to it.
Personally i felt it would have turned out to be embarassing for us have to got Euro 2008, 1 good stadium for GAA only, 1 on the way in 2008, the FAI were only ever using it as an ego trip to show people they had changed but their still along way off proving it.